Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eugenics is coming - is the world ready for this?

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Eugenics  <<< clicky for those that do not know what it is.

It will soon be possible to genetically make a human that is nearly perfect.   It would eleminate diseases, birth defects and allow people to pick the color of eyes, height, body type and hair color - you name it...just like a character creator in your favorite MMORPG, for their offspring.    My question is...is the world ready for super humans and what kind of ramifications does it hold for those not able to be genetically be made perfect (natural borns)?

Will sex be strictly for pleasure and children are born of test-tubes?

Good movie to watch regarding this is Gattaca.

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by left4shaman

Every one will have blonde hair, blue eyes, light skin and tall.

You think?  I do not think so.   I think it would be a lot more diversity than what a lot of people think.    :)

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

If everyone creates the "perfect" child, "perfect" becomes the new generic, "beautiful" becomes dull.

Nothing would change, the more people try to achieve their current standard of "perfect" the more it changes and farther they get from it.

People of the future would have just as low self esteem and impractical standards for themselves as they always do.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Or possibly this:

Either way it would be the end of natural evolution. They would probably create the perfect man and he would destroy the earth.

???

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Cool I'll order my kids with green hair.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• JeffsJeffs Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by qazyman
    Either way it would be the end of natural evolution. They would probably create the perfect man and he would destroy the earth.

Not true. Artificial selection still lives under the supervision of natural selection. Even if this did become common practice we'd find our personal choices in baby model would adapt to what makes those babies most succesful at replicating themselves. Kind of like how contraception is slowly turning the worlds population into the kind of people who would forget to use it, or just use it wrong. Technically even if we made self replicating robots which killed us all they'd still be under the tether of natural selection.

• dynamo122dynamo122 Member Posts: 162

I think it's been possible to decide your childs eye color for sometime now. The rest, though, is pushing it IMO.

Though I don't think it's as scary as nano technology. That shit scares the hell out of me.

Originally posted by Jeffs

Not true. Artificial selection still lives under the supervision of natural selection. Even if this did become common practice we'd find our personal choices in baby model would adapt to what makes those babies most succesful at replicating themselves. Kind of like how contraception is slowly turning the worlds population into the kind of people who would forget to use it, or just use it wrong. Technically even if we made self replicating robots which killed us all they'd still be under the tether of natural selection.

ORLY

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

I think you're refering to Transhumanism and not eugenics.

We tried eugenics in the 1930s to 1940s and although it seemed like a good idea to some others didn't like it so much.

There is also:

Brain-computer interface

Intelligence amplification

Or just general all around Human_enhancement

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

for some reason this came to mind:

and we know what happens next!

Just in case you forgot:

www.filmsnmovies.com/video/5954/species_trailer/

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Eugenics is nothing new, or indeed anything that was ever completely done away with. Forced sterilization was still going on in the US during my lifetime. But I do think we have a situation currently where natural selection has been largely subverted, and that the ranks of the poor and the congenitally stupid are swelling alarmingly.

But on the other hand you have the potential for the abuse of eugenics too. Witness Nazi Germany. Anyway, I suppose I have no problem with voluntary options. But even then, would most people make smart choices? Maybe it would be better to just concentrate on promoting birth control for now. But wait, we're committed to forever swelling the population to fund our deficit spending. So this will never be allowed to happen either.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

In my mind Eugenics is not so much about making the perfect human its more about making a better more efficent human. And this could also include parts of Trans-humanism such as having a human with less defective genes and increased brain size and access to cybernetics such as wireless computers implanted in the head.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

Bollocks, and this comes from someone who fits that description. I'd want my kids have brown or black hair, blue eyes, light but slightly tanned skin, slightly shorter than average and extremely intelligent. And Bruce Lee-esque muscle. Awesome. The ultimate martial artist slash soldier slash theoretical physicist.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Jeffs

A very good and intelligent post.

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

ok, but i better get this included in my free healthcare or else only the rich will have designer children.

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

eugenic depopulation
    In lies we trust 151min
    firefox link

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Eugenics won't work. We "killed" Darwinism with our science and are overpopulating. You see the solution with deer when there isn't enough hunting in certain areas. The deer eat the resources, leaving next to none in the surrounding areas. They get sick in droves, and die. The strong and lucky survive. Nature resets the balance. Eugenics is a man-made idea, so it's inherently flawed because of the idealism of perfection from inherently flawed beings. So long as there are humans, there will be different variations of the idea of "perfection", right and wrong, good and evil. The only true perfection is nature and all it's chaos.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

The perfect supplement for this would be

"Expelled: No intelligence allowed"  by Ben Stein

His movie takes it from it's roots to today...and into the future if it goes forward.

• Reborn17Reborn17 Member Posts: 414

Eugenics which has been the pursuit of a the elite to exterminate "undesirables" so as to then leave the world (and its wealth) to them and their progeny for literally centuries is the battlecry of the genocidal. It is why media supports abortion, homosexuality, free sex = no need for marriage = fewer families = less resistance to a hive mind mentality, and a structural vacuum in which these ideas can be placed in a distracted, doped up, uneducated populace. The Second biggest lie out there, behind global warming, is overpopulation. Let's do a little math:

I'm approximately 2.5 ft across and 1 foot + a bit wide, let's round it up to 1.5 just to make it easy =3.75 sqft

1 mile is 5280ft, 1 sqmi = 27,878,400 sqft

7,434,240 people my size fit in 1 sqmi

Population of the world =6.5 Billion

Divided by 7,434,240/sqmi is 874.33 sqmi the square root of which equals the dimensions of a square pen 29.56 miles in length

In other words If every person was my size (I'm bigger than average) the whole population of the world could fit in a pen 30 mi by 30 miles without even touching.

The media disinformation appararatus does the average man/woman's thinking FOR him/her. According to television the most important stories in the world are Brett Favre's search for another superbowl ring, a man hoaxing us with a tin foil UFO-shaped balloon and 12 ways to fix paella on a fixed income, does that seem like news? Anyway, I'm on a bit of a rant, but if you knew what was on the eugenics front you would cringe at the very mention of the word. In the uk they announced the want to halve their population by 2020.

I mean, even your toothpaste says call poison control on the back if you ingest any. 

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -Edmund Burke

Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"
    (Psalm 94:16)

• psychojamiepsychojamie Member Posts: 7

Ew

LMFAO

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Reborn17

In other words If every person was my size (I'm bigger than average) the whole population of the world could fit in a pen 30 mi by 30 miles without even touching.

And wouldn't that be a wonderfull life.  No offense but that has to be one of the most insane arguments I've ever heard.  The fact that the entire population of the world would fit into a relatively small area if you crammed them in like sardines doesn't really mean anything as far as overpopulation is concerned.  You surely aren't suggesting that we could live like that?

• Reborn17Reborn17 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

Originally posted by Reborn17

And wouldn't that be a wonderfull life.  No offense but that has to be one of the most insane arguments I've ever heard.  The fact that the entire population of the world would fit into a relatively small area if you crammed them in like sardines doesn't really mean anything as far as overpopulation is concerned.  You surely aren't suggesting that we could live like that?

The point... Neanderthal...is with a land surface of 57,500,000 squ miles we collectively take up a microscopic fraction of it which yes has everything to do with disproving the fallacy over overpopulation.

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -Edmund Burke

Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?"
    (Psalm 94:16)

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Teala

You think?  I do not think so.   I think it would be a lot more diversity than what a lot of people think.    :)

And how will diversity work when people start neglecting undesired genetical traits? It's not just about your skin tone or height.

Originally posted by Routver

Originally posted by Teala

And how will diversity work when people start neglecting undesired genetical traits? It's not just about your skin tone or height.

Yeah, it's about the removal of random mutations/variations from the sequence. They would be some of the first things to go and probably without people even realizing they were doing it. All natural evolution would end at this point. The result probably wouldn't be positive for long even if it were smart and beautiful.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

I was thinking about what someone said about giving these new Master Race children larger brains, and I went from there. Head size is naturally limited by the width of the woman's pelvis, but we can get around that now with C section. Suppose we get around the head size issue, then there's the problem of blood supply, the brain requires a load of blood, how will this effect life span and physical attributes?

To speak in a larger sense, we may be able to change ephemeral things like hair and eye color, but messing around with things like head size isn't like palette swapping your child. Gotta modify the skull, modify the heart, enhance neck to hold giant bobble head, and so on.

Creating an Aryan brat is one thing, but I think we're far off from forming a race of genetic supermen.