Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Review

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by solareus

Missing the cohesiveness of an actual gaming world.  With floating rocks that resemble the way AoC does it's game design, excpet for the actual land part. Also Chronicles of Spellborn came up with the Abyss style game theme already with the floating shard, as well as Koad War coming up with the concept of  Aions core charactor features.

Age of Conan is nothing like Aion, I'm not sure why you brought that up. There is also nothing wrong with the cohessiveness of the world, it's a pretty standard mmorpg world.

It doesn't matter who did it first, nearly everything WoW and Lotro did has been done before, but these are still great games.

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686
    Originally posted by mmaize

Originally posted by Player_420

uuuh did you read the post you quoted?
    I said the review wasnt full of much usful information I didnt already know, and anything negative he did mention was glossed over with fluff.
    My point is that this review was written by an obvious loyal fan of Aion...Whats your point? That you really like this game cause your the "abyss stalker" and a standard Asian grinder MMO that brings NOTHING new to the table besides wings deserves the best review score on the site?

The question here is did you read the post?  I don't give a damn about your point.  My question is to you and everyone else saying the same thing about how the review is worthless and too positive, since you seemed to miss it, was "Do you only get credible information on a game by the negative reviews that are made about it?"

THAT is my question.  And btw, if you actually read the thread...you would have seen several things posted about what the MMO does bring to the table that is in fact new.  You might be tired of the genre but Aion does bring new things to the table.  I guess because I enjoyed WoW during my time there and several others in the vast array of MMOs I've experienced that I've obviously a fanboi for each of those games too and that it can't just be that I know a good game when I play one?  I don't give a damn if you don't but don't try painting me into a picture just because your threatened by a review.

You want to talk specifically about why this review is a bad one and what about it you disagree with and why then let's have that discussion.

I get your point

I play all ghame

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Airwren

Originally posted by nate1980

Since the credibility of this website has been brought up for discussion, are there other websites dedicated only to MMORPG's?
    What about websites that cover all games? Any reputable ones? I'm genuinely curious, because if I found a decent and objective, unbiased website, I'll go there. I'm not being sarcastic, I really would like to view some other gaming websites that pay any attention to MMORPG's. So if you can list some, I'll go check them out and add them to my favorites if they're any good.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I don't think there's 1 website that's going to get it exactly right.  My suggestion is to take a look at multiple websites and reviews.  See what the reviewer has to say on positive/negative, does this jive with what other reviewers are saying?  Try to formulate a complete picture based on several different points of view and the whole starts to come a little more in focus. 

Yes I realize this. That doesn't take much thought to figure out. However, picking websites to do that with who have good reputations takes experience or a ton of research. I just spend some time researching myself, and Sol helped suggest some others, so now I have a good 3-4 websites to look at.

Okay, for those active in this discussion, what are we talking about again. I've read every post in this thread, as most can tell, but I've sort of lost track of what we're arguing about. I want to know so I can either contribute or leave.

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by Gameloading

Missing the cohesiveness of an actual gaming world.  With floating rocks that resemble the way AoC does it's game design, excpet for the actual land part. Also Chronicles of Spellborn came up with the Abyss style game theme already with the floating shard, as well as Koad War coming up with the concept of  Aions core charactor features.

Age of Conan is nothing like Aion, I'm not sure why you brought that up. There is also nothing wrong with the cohessiveness of the world, it's a pretty standard mmorpg world.

It doesn't matter who did it first, nearly everything WoW and Lotro did has been done before, but these are still great games.

Find it funny you used the word "Standard" I agree with you on this point, but you just said your self "standard"  with LotrO, with Vangaurd , with Aoc, there are elements that are beyond standard, elements that makes them a unique game experience for the fans. I would love to understand the apsect of Aion that weighs the above qualities in visual aesthecic, content, mechnaics, that are disimilare to Lineage 2 and more innovative then the 3 other games I;ve listed. One of the only qualities ofAion is the character creator, which is more or less a refined CoH editor.

Explain this please?  Because I played CoH for quite a while and built multiple heroes and the editor is nothing like Aions IMO

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

Find it funny you used the word "Standard" I agree with you on this point, but you just said your self "standard"  with LotrO, with Vangaurd , with Aoc, there are elements that are beyond standard, elements that makes them a unique game experience for the fans. I would love to understand the apsect of Aion that weighs the above qualities in visual aesthecic, content, mechnaics, that are disimilare to Lineage 2 and more innovative then the 3 other games I;ve listed. One of the only qualities ofAion is the character creator, which is more or less a refined CoH editor.

Explain this please?  Because I played CoH for quite a while and built multiple heroes and the editor is nothing like Aions IMO

Edited, I mistook your point.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Thanks Solareus for being so consise in your critque of this review, even if you are way to harsh about it.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt would probably help your argument.

I don't think I would go so far as to say the reviewer is a shill for ncsoft, but 8.7?? come on! That makes it the highest rated game on here, the highest rating ever given by an official review.

8.7 might be a "B+" in high school, but that grade on mmorpg.com is relative to the rest of the ratings on this site.  8.7 is saying this is the greatest game ever made... and as cool as Aion might be, I think we can safely say, that is BS.

I would hope to see a new review and score or a revised one, with the past history of scoring other games taken into account.

People come to this site to find out unbiased information about games they are considering purchasing, the official reviews carry alot of weight.  And so, people hold mmorpg.com to high standards, and well they should. That is why you see such reactions as Solareus'. 

This site should thank the people who critique their reviews, as it brings about better content, demands their staff writers make decent reviews, and makes mmorpg.com better than it would be otherwise.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by tanoril

I actually thought Paragus had a better/more detailed review of the game since he touched on post 25+ more.  By reading that review he'd probably rate it an 8 which is probably where the game falls.  I'm actually surprised that the game got reviewed so quickly, normally it takes much longer for this site to put a review for a game out.  I think the reviewer is correct that Aion becomes almost a different game post level 25.  Perhaps we can have a review that specifically focuses on that part of the game since everyone who plays Aion has developed the slogan 'Wait until level 25'.

Thanks for the kind words.  So far I have written 3 articles about Aion, one from 1-10, another from 10-25, and my most recent one covers 25-40ish, as I am currently a level 40 ranger.  I personally think a lot of the MMORPG.com official reviews are a little light in the loafers.   I wrote more about the level 1-10 game than the official reviews did in his entire review.   I still stand by my suggestion of having MMORPG.com completely redo its review system by having each game reviewed by multiple people so that readers can not only get a wider array of opinions, but have a better chance of finding a reviewer with similar MMO background as them.

I agree with you, but what you touched still reinforces my point that the review was almost done too quickly.  Most reviews on this site are more overviews than anything else and for some games that my work but for Aion it does not, as the game does change midway through and a player level 35-40 may see the game completely differently than one who is only lvl 20-25.

You're right, the two games are pretty different when it comes to character creations. I really like the breadth of options AION has. CoH, and more recently Champions, have great character customization tools, but they're not the same and not equal in all areas. In short, they're different than each other, but both very good.

Originally posted by ghettobooste

Thanks Solareus for being so consise in your critque of this review, even if you are way to harsh about it.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt would probably help your argument.
    I don't think I would go so far as to say the reviewer is a shill for ncsoft, but 8.7?? come on! That makes it the highest rated game on here, the highest rating ever given by an official review.
    8.7 might be a "B+" in high school, but that grade on mmorpg.com is relative to the rest of the ratings on this site.  8.7 is saying this is the greatest game ever made... and as cool as Aion might be, I think we can safely say, that is BS.
    I would hope to see a new review and score or a revised one, with the past history of scoring other games taken into account.
    People come to this site to find out unbiased information about games they are considering purchasing, the official reviews carry alot of weight.  And so, people hold mmorpg.com to high standards, and well they should. That is why you see such reactions as Solareus'. 
    This site should thank the people who critique their reviews, as it brings about better content, demands their staff writers make decent reviews, and makes mmorpg.com better than it would be otherwise.

Your main point is that mmorpg.com should pay more attention to how they score the games in their reviews. Is this correct? If so, I agree with you.

Your second point is that AION doesn't deserve the best grade in town. Keep in mind that I quit the game out of dislike, but I'm trying to look at this from anothers point of view. We all assume people have played MMORPG's before if they're posting on this website. While this may be likely, it's an incorrect assumption. So let's throw that assumption out the window and assume rather than new people to the genre might be reading. In this case, referencing other games in the market would be a waste of time. So as a rule of thumb, I think referencing other games in a review should not be done. A game should be scored and left to stand on their own two feet.

Another assumption is that those who have played MMORPG's before, have played so many of them that they'd notice the similarities and differences. Not all gamers are like that, and some could argue successfully that most aren't like that. So let's throw that assumption out the window as well, and instead assume that a gamer will judge AION on what AION has to offer, not on what it doesn't offer or copies in relation to other MMORPG's.

Given this point of view, AION could very well be the best MMORPG they've ever played and these people may not really care what other MMORPG's have done in the past, nor should they. In this regard, we must ask ourselves, what does AION do well, and what is lacking in AION. This is why I believe in scoring a game based on tangible assets, and it doesn't hurt to throw in intangible assets at the end, with a large disclaimer that it's pure opinion after that.

If you list pros and cons of a game, you let the readers decide if the game is for them. I believe that the lack of pros and cons, meaning more objectivity, in the review is what people are complaining about.

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

how does a standard MMO get an 8.7? this review is bs

I agree with you, but what you touched still reinforces my point that the review was almost done too quickly.  Most reviews on this site are more overviews than anything else and for some games that my work but for Aion it does not, as the game does change midway through and a player level 35-40 may see the game completely differently than one who is only lvl 20-25.

WHEN to do a review is a good topic of discussion, and I think this website should adopt some rules on this. Generally, I'd like to see a game have a Preview, First Impression, and Review. This is important, because a MMORPG offers plenty of benefits for getting into the game at release. So timing is paramount.

The PREVIEW should be an overview of the game based on initial playtesting that the previewer has done, combined with evaluating how the game looks on paper. This gives a professional opinion on what players might expect for the future release and can serve as a source of advice for those not entirely sure if the game is worth their money.

The FIRST IMPRESSION is almost a pure opinion piece. This piece is full of emotion, feelings, and subjectivity, but gives an idea on what the player will feel when they spend the first week in the game. Many people can relate to this and if the writer has a similar playstyle and game experience, it lends even more weight.

The REVIEW is a purely scientific critique of the game, and should only be done after the reviewer has played the majority of the game. Meaning they've tried all aspects that the game offers, such as solo leveling, group leveling, PvP, crafting, and endgame content. There should be little to know feelings or emotions in this piece, and should be approached objectively. This will let readers know the pros and cons of the game and will give them much needed information to help them decide on their own if the game is worth the purchase.

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

WHEN to do a review is a good topic of discussion, and I think this website should adopt some rules on this. Generally, I'd like to see a game have a Preview, First Impression, and Review. This is important, because a MMORPG offers plenty of benefits for getting into the game at release. So timing is paramount.

The PREVIEW should be an overview of the game based on initial playtesting that the previewer has done, combined with evaluating how the game looks on paper. This gives a professional opinion on what players might expect for the future release and can serve as a source of advice for those not entirely sure if the game is worth their money.

The FIRST IMPRESSION is almost a pure opinion piece. This piece is full of emotion, feelings, and subjectivity, but gives an idea on what the player will feel when they spend the first week in the game. Many people can relate to this and if the writer has a similar playstyle and game experience, it lends even more weight.

The REVIEW is a purely scientific critique of the game, and should only be done after the reviewer has played the majority of the game. Meaning they've tried all aspects that the game offers, such as solo leveling, group leveling, PvP, crafting, and endgame content. There should be little to know feelings or emotions in this piece, and should be approached objectively. This will let readers know the pros and cons of the game and will give them much needed information to help them decide on their own if the game is worth the purchase.

Totally agree.

• JangocatJangocat Member Posts: 46

This game is very polished and the combat is fun. The only problem I have with it is the gold spammers and bots. If NCsoft can clean that up they have a winner to build on. The expansion possibilities could be great with the x-y-z axis they got in this engine.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by ghettobooste

Your main point is that mmorpg.com should pay more attention to how they score the games in their reviews. Is this correct? If so, I agree with you.

Your second point is that AION doesn't deserve the best grade in town. Keep in mind that I quit the game out of dislike, but I'm trying to look at this from anothers point of view. We all assume people have played MMORPG's before if they're posting on this website. While this may be likely, it's an incorrect assumption. So let's throw that assumption out the window and assume rather than new people to the genre might be reading. In this case, referencing other games in the market would be a waste of time. So as a rule of thumb, I think referencing other games in a review should not be done. A game should be scored and left to stand on their own two feet.

Another assumption is that those who have played MMORPG's before, have played so many of them that they'd notice the similarities and differences. Not all gamers are like that, and some could argue successfully that most aren't like that. So let's throw that assumption out the window as well, and instead assume that a gamer will judge AION on what AION has to offer, not on what it doesn't offer or copies in relation to other MMORPG's.

Given this point of view, AION could very well be the best MMORPG they've ever played and these people may not really care what other MMORPG's have done in the past, nor should they. In this regard, we must ask ourselves, what does AION do well, and what is lacking in AION. This is why I believe in scoring a game based on tangible assets, and it doesn't hurt to throw in intangible assets at the end, with a large disclaimer that it's pure opinion after that.

If you list pros and cons of a game, you let the readers decide if the game is for them. I believe that the lack of pros and cons, meaning more objectivity, in the review is what people are complaining about.

My point is there is/should be a grading curve based on previous scores given by staff writers.  I think their scores are usually good, lower than other gaming sites, because they are realistic, most of the time. If this site were to give out scores like Gamespot does, every new game would be 9-10, and once you have that as a standard then there's not much room to improve.

As for the reasons why this game does not deserve such a good score... as in the best score ever given out to a game. The game lacks content, is small, runs out of quests and forces you to grind, all things that are a step backward for the genre. It does things well too, but nothing so awesome to make it better than it's peers. That is just my opinion of course, but I think any reasonable reviewer would say the same, it is a decent game, but not the greatest mmo of all time...

I think people are bitching because they expect a higher standard of review.  I would expect a staff reviewer to have a decent knowledge of past games and how the other staff members have scored previous games, he/she should know the grading curve.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Well lets see what happens after this patch and how it deals witht the gold spammers first and if this issue clears up then they can start finding other ways to deal with the bots.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

See, normally I don't quote that much text, but in this discussion (28 pages, wtf...) this is one of the few comments that make a lot of sense and should be enough to conclude this otherwise rather inarticulate and thus pointless debate. 

Haven't played the game myself but even I can tell that the review fails at being objective and mixes information too much with very subjective opinions. Writing a 'real' review is hard, I totally get that - so that means not everybody can or should do it....

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

The reviewer need to grow some balls and either change the score or come out and say "This is the best mmorpg ever"

At least then we would know if it's the reviewers ability to give scores or to review that is in question.

• HarkkumHarkkum Member Posts: 180

I have to say that Eurogamer review on the day the game was launched was more informative than this one. This review reads, atleast to me, more as a confession of a fan than an actual critique of the game. As such, it fails to inform its reader from the pros and cons of the game, rendering the review utterly pointless for anyone but those who are already playing the game. Then again, if you are already playing the game you hardly need anyone to tell you how good or bad the game is -- you are entirely capable to make that subjective decision all by yourself.

As I did read through all those 200+ posts about the rating given, I guess I have to comment that as well. First, the caveat, I do think that MMOs should be reviewed as such, not as potential. The game is somewhat linear and almost a single-player experience for the better part of the first 20 levels. Its quest-content thins out at around level 30. There are problems with sieges that result players to crash. The game isn't balanced around 1vs1 PvP, true, it is balanced around the "who brings most goons wins" -PvP. There are countless bots running rampant on top of the gold selling spam. The game has a nice PvP with loads of people, but so does Darkfall.

In the end, the current game is thin of content which results on repetitive gameplay in order to progress. And, as levels matter on PvP--and leveling through PvP is not a viable option--you have to level through the repetitive gameplay in order to be competitive on PvP. A place for accolade or for criticism? I think that atleast these are the issues a decent review should tell to its audience. Frankly, as a reader of a review, I am not overly interested from the personal preferences of a reviewer regarding the art style of the game, I want to know what is the art style. This review leaves me ignorant on the latter whilst being abundant on the former.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Yay, yet another asian-style grindfest mmo with the same graphics as L2 basicly but with wings...

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

wow, 282 posts and counting ! this game is hot.  anyway, my thought is :

1: At lv 26, i go no quest to do, I have to do those repeated quest ( 1/100 ). or farm AP in abyss.

2: the review never mentioned about the work-order in crafting, i love this feature. the npc will give you free materials for the crafting, and random reward once you completed it.

• colddogcolddog Member Posts: 173

The main complaints about the review seem to be two main contentions that I agree with.

1. Does Aion deserve the best rating of any MMO on this site?

2. Does the reviewer have a positive bias towards Aion that goes above and beyond the normal amount of bias for a reviewer?

As for number one, I would say that after playing many, many MMOs and Aion to level 36, that Aion certainly does not deserve the best rating out of any MMO. It is a ridiculous claim by even the biggest fans of this game. However, this reviewer has chosen to give the game the best rating an MMO has ever received on this site.

This brings up a serious question about how credible this reviewer is. There are really three options.

1. He was completely unaware about how MMORPG.COMs ratings were delivered in the past and gave his own personal rating. This would tell me that he is completely out of the loop when it comes to what this site offers in general when it comes to reviews. He is possibly very young. Or possibly very new. This is unacceptable for any site that wants to consider it's site credible.

2. He thinks this is the greatest MMO of all time. This is a real possibility. However, based on him saying that it is basically everything we have seen before, I do not believe this is true.

3. He is a shill for the developing company. (I would rarely ever even think this is a serious option, but after reviewing the various reviews he has done for the game for various sites, it's hard to deny there is nothing there). 

These are 3 very depressing options for me personally. I have basically been a lurker on this site up till this point. But I have to say that this review is embarrassing for this site and it has really given me perspective on how much responsibility this particular site would like to accept for it's reviews. Which is going to end up causing me to move on to others at this point.

• colddogcolddog Member Posts: 173

I hate double posting, but I have one more thing to say about the reviewer.

I believe that as a person that has reviewed this game, he should be willing to come into the discussion somewhat. This is his review. A poor review by most accounts. 

For instance, he should at the very least come in and tell us what level he got to. He should be honest with us about what he experienced specifically. The review was not specific about things that are very important to be specific about in an unbiased review.

Other reviewers have come in and commented in their review. Why should this person be any different?

Edit: I just made a Mojito.

This discussion has been closed.