Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The List: Top 5 MMOs That Need Remakes

Comments

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

I just think that UO would never be remade into a fully 3D game because they want it to still be the oldest and longest running MMO title (Guiness Book of Records) So if they were to remake it into a 3D mmo. The old UO will crumble and probably shut down. Sad because no other game will be like UO. The copycats just doesnt have a hold on people as much as it would with UO.

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51

Dana,

Good article.  You have generated 23 pages of interesting conversation (so far), so your article succeeded admirably. 

Of course after complimenting you I still have to say COH doesn't belong on your list!

See what I mean.

--S

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Funny how OP and so many replyers think you get that feeling back by remaking these mmo's it won't happen 100% sure it will never give you that feeling you had when you back then enter those worlds and was amazed and hooked for years to those games.

It would be a bad dicision making those old games again as remake.

I rather see new original ideas for mmo's like AC did and make a mmo's in style of those but completely original world and races.

Or all of you want your whole life playing same game but remake with better grahfics?

What boring thought playing same over and over again NO THX.

But if i choose my list:

1.AC

2.Daoc

3.Shadowbane(Darkfall way better then SB so its already done in away)

4.UO

5. No other i can picture on this spot.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

I think a UO 2 would be better with a top down view with todays graphics.  The top-down view is kind of what made UO's mechanics unique. Making it a third person 3d world would make it a typical MMO experience in my opinion.  

I also agree with AO 2, DAOC 2, AC 3, and I'll add Planetside 2 to it, even though it is rumored to come to life.

• DaemonicalDaemonical Member Posts: 9

Darkfall was actually made by the same DEV who made UO, from Origins.

UO player since 2001
    WoW player since 2006

• Robdc84Robdc84 Member Posts: 156

a remake of AO would be awesome that was my 1st major MMO. i heard it funcom is redoing the engine but only time will tell.

IN THE FACE!

• NahlaoNahlao Member Posts: 1

I 100% agree on UO.

Shadowbane should be on that list! Nothing comes close to the gameplay of SB.

If you could mix the skill raise of UO, with the content of WoW, and the open PVP/Stat distribution of SB.....what a game that would be.

• mrfunmrfun Member UncommonPosts: 4

FYI) Im not bothering to use search or read 24+ pages and I will most likely never return to this forum.

Remakes allways fail. There has never been a "Part Two" that has kept any kind of fanbase.

1) UO did get redone. It was UO2 that never made it past the "in development" video. Also there was Darkfall - nicknamed Darkfail (yeah Part Two failed again).

2) DAoC should never be re-done. How many sword swining/spell slining MMOs can you play before you cry yourself to sleep at night?

3) CoH got it's part two with CoV, and guess what... City of Rogues is comming soon... RESEACH is key for an opinionated post like this. Also I shouldn't have to mention that pretty much most of all the CoV servers are empty. (need I say fail again?) - Oh forgot to mention that yes I know CoH/CoV are one game now, they did not start that way though just FYI.

4) AO I can't even begin to comment on, due to the fact that other shooter based MMOs like Tabula Rasa made such a BIG impression... on the pavement as all the servers were shutdown quickly after shuch a short lifespan.

5) You said it yourself AC2 was released... why make an AC3 when part two failed so miserably? Also Turbines other "huge hit" DDO was so vastly popular that its now a Micro/Free MMO. Also you forgot to mention that it was a Microsoft product.

I'm not going to try and offend you here but Im sure this might hurt your feelings a little... the $10 they sent you for the writeup is overpaid. This was just a horrable read. I'll chalk this horror up to the fact that its mid October...

PS) I was there for all the launches and I've played them all and more. I have also kept up with the buisness side of things.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by bobidobi

UO truly deserves the number 1 spot, I am sure there are some secret plans inside EA about that game.

EA like any big company are only able to ruin unique games. The only thing that such companies can do is to make commercial craps.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • DruzDruz Member Posts: 276

Good article, seems to hit on all the right notes. I have a different opinion on the order but it was a good read none the less.

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by mrfun

FYI) Im not bothering to use search or read 24+ pages and I will most likely never return to this forum.
    Remakes allways fail. There has never been a "Part Two" that has kept any kind of fanbase.
    1) UO did get redone. It was UO2 that never made it past the "in development" video. Also there was Darkfall - nicknamed Darkfail (yeah Part Two failed again).

How can you call it "redone" when it was never done in the first place?

2) DAoC should never be re-done. How many sword swining/spell slining MMOs can you play before you cry yourself to sleep at night?
    3) CoH got it's part two with CoV, and guess what... City of Rogues is comming soon... RESEACH is key for an opinionated post like this. Also I shouldn't have to mention that pretty much most of all the CoV servers are empty. (need I say fail again?) - Oh forgot to mention that yes I know CoH/CoV are one game now, they did not start that way though just FYI.
    4) AO I can't even begin to comment on, due to the fact that other shooter based MMOs like Tabula Rasa made such a BIG impression... on the pavement as all the servers were shutdown quickly after shuch a short lifespan.
    You think AO was like Tabula Rasa? Really?

5) You said it yourself AC2 was released... why make an AC3 when part two failed so miserably? Also Turbines other "huge hit" DDO was so vastly popular that its now a Micro/Free MMO. Also you forgot to mention that it was a Microsoft product.
     Because AC2 and DDO are nothing like AC1? How can you miss such a point
    I'm not going to try and offend you here but Im sure this might hurt your feelings a little... the $10 they sent you for the writeup is overpaid. This was just a horrable read. I'll chalk this horror up to the fact that its mid October...
     Even with spell check you have HorrAble spelling
    PS) I was there for all the launches and I've played them all and more. I have also kept up with the buisness side of things.

You have some terrible logic going for you here, being at all the launches has not stopped you from missing the point.

• DaemonicalDaemonical Member Posts: 9

ShadowBane isn't that bad to be remade... But I guess it would be a #5 like DAoC

UO player since 2001
    WoW player since 2006

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Druz

Originally posted by mrfun

How can you call it "redone" when it was never done in the first place?

You think AO was like Tabula Rasa? Really?

Because AC2 and DDO are nothing like AC1? How can you miss such a point
     Even with spell check you have HorrAble spelling

You have some terrible logic going for you here, being at all the launches has not stopped you from missing the point.

Nice headshot, Druz.

Spot on.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

replace CoX on the list with vanguard and you have yourself a fine list :]

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AlidoAlido Member Posts: 2

That there is a pretty decent list. Although why does CoX need a remake? We already have that and in my humble opinion wasn't that great, ok it was but it isn't now since they ramped up the difficulty to a point of insanity, anyway CoX will be getting it's shiny new expansion soon enough. I'd switch that with Auto Assault  because unlike all the others (Except AC maybe no familiar with that one) Auto Assault is gone,well maybe not gone but shutdown (And NCsoft keep refusing to sell the source code). Another thing since I don't really know AC I'd replace it with Tabula Rasa another good game by General British.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

I don't agree with CoX in the list: not a remake, but making another update with more variety to the missions. That would breath new life into our beloved super hero mmog.

• CampanaCampana Member Posts: 3

If you want a UO remake, Mortal Online is the one:

www.mortalonline.com

The guy who started this has said the best gaming years of his life happened in UO and he wants to recreate that.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

Didn't EA try Ultima Online 2? Or at least it failed to develop.

Runescape - good call

Everquest 1- good call tho EQ2 is most likely the answer

Legend of Mir

Meridian 59

Who wouldn't play World of Warcraft 2 with updated graphics, etc.

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

DAoC remade using Mount and Blade type combat - I'm there!  Add siege machines and destructable walls...OMG gimmee!

• Seems to me that in order to have a remake, the game itself must be fairly old. SWg, while old is rather new compared to Ac1 and UO. CoX is also a "next gen" game compared to the old school games.

The only games that would really fit the bill are anything before ... and including ... DAoC/AO. AC1 and UO are the best bets since the game play style is so different than the DIKU MUDS like WoW, Aion, EQ etc we have today. Remake AC1 and UO and you have something both old and new. Remake anything else and its just another EQ clone with different features.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Those asking for SWG pre-cu remake, check Fallen Earth...it has most of the things that made pre-cu SWG great...minus the jedis! ...well, most people dont really see that as a minus!

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

"On September 25th, the MMO industry turned 12 years old. In 1997, Origin launched Ultima Online and while it wasn’t the first multi-player RPG (MUDs) or even the first one with graphics (Meridian 59), "

Why does everyone say Meridian 59 was the 1st graphical MMO?  Especialy if you are writing an article you should put in the effort to look these things up. 

From wikipedia:

"Meridian 59, the first commercial, 3D massively multiplayer game, was developed by Archetype Interactive and published in September 1996 by 3DO."

"The Realm was launched in March 1995 for Windows personal computers. It was designed in the tradition of graphical MUDs, before the popular usage of the terms "massively multiplayer" and "MMORPG"." Refering to Sierra's The Realm Online.

Meridian 59 was not the 1st graphical MUD, it was the 1st 3D MUD.  The Realm gets no respect, sigh.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Campana

If you want a UO remake, Mortal Online is the one:
    www.mortalonline.com
    The guy who started this has said the best gaming years of his life happened in UO and he wants to recreate that.

MO has only 1st person style though and that will drive many ppl out of it, and a mmorpg to to survive and succed you need big numbers of ppl playing it from start otherwise it will have financial problems and thats bad for every game's future.

• mjr727mjr727 Member UncommonPosts: 22

UO was my first, and I've never forgotten her. Over the years I've played em all, well almost - never got much into the sci-fi ones other than SWG.  I can tell you though, anyone who played that game and allowed themselves to really dive in, still thinks about going back, and what it might be like.  Just this month I cancelled my account for the first time, ever... and I started playing back in 97.

I sincerely hope they have plans of redoing this game, BUT with many cautions in place.  If you try to change too much of this game, it will fail, and it will fail more quickly than Warhammer and AiC (if that's possible for AoC).  If there are any stabs at remaking this game, you must keep it simple.  The game survived for as long as it did with a VERY limited amount of content compared to what's out there now, and they did it by keeping things simple.

Off the UO topic for a sec though, I would love to also see an attempt at EQ again, whether it be a remake or an EQ3.  Try to make this one have the addiction factor of EQ1 though plz ;)  Content overload is killing these games, too much space equals empty areas.  No one wants to play solo all the time, and if you do, why are you paying $15+ a month for something you could do on your 360.  The social factor is what promotes competition, and it's competition that drives addiction - That's what the next great remake should be based off.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

LOTRO...LOTRO....and....LOTRO

"I play Tera for the gameplay"