Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Top 10 MMOs Since World of Warcraft

World of Warcraft changed the MMO landscape on November 23rd, 2004, but 174 MMOs have come out since that fateful day. We rank them in this completely and totally subjective list.

The List

World of Warcraft changed the way people look at MMORPGs when it launched on November 23rd, 2004. Since that time, according to our game list, 174 new MMOs have been launched and survive to this day. Of those launched prior to World of Warcraft, only 63 continue operation.

Sure, there are other games we have not listed yet (we’re working on it) and quite a few games have launches and died (I’m looking at you Tabula Rasa). I’m also suffering from some North American bias and only counting the games on this side of the pond.

Still, that’s a fantastic number of games in only five years that have either made it or – worst case – not died since WoW launched. Yet, despite the 174 new entries, not one has even flirted with a fraction of WoW’s success, let alone matched it critically or commercially.

Read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Granted it is a subjective list and everyone will have differing opinions on what should be on that list.  BUT Club Penguin? I mean come on, no one in their right mind has ever heard of that game.  Unless that was thrown in as a joke, you have completely lost it.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Is this a joke post?

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

WTF is Club Penguin ?

• Xyfire1Xyfire1 Member Posts: 128

Good list. Except Club Penguin. Happy to see Guild Wars up there, I may not play anymore but It's still amazing.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Granted it is a subjective list and everyone will have differing opinions on what should be on that list.  BUT Club Penguin? I mean come on, no one in their right mind has ever heard of that game.  Unless that was thrown in as a joke, you have completely lost it.

$350 million dollars doesn't lie. When Disney puts that kind of money into a one-product company, it says something. 

The game was a huge success, even if almost no one over the age of 16 plays it.

I didn't say it was a rank of the Top 10 Traditional MMOs, or Hardcore MMOs, etc.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Daft

WTF? Were is EQ2? This list is Bologna. If i took a dump on my keyboard, the dump would  put something better on the screen then this list.

EQ2 launched prior to WoW. 

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

Yet the wildly popular, among kids anyway, free worlds or the cartoon network one are nowhere to be found.  Bleh

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170

who said that lol

Originally posted by SonikFlash

Yet the wildly popular, among kids anyway, free worlds or the cartoon network one are nowhere to be found.  Bleh

Neither had the success of Club Penguin. Free Realms is somewhat struggling from all accounts. Great initial numbers, very little retention. Same for FusionFall. I considered both.

P.S. To Daft: Fair enough.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Dana

Originally posted by Daft

who said that lol

History.

EQII launched on November 8th, 2004. WoW launched on November 23rd of the same year.

Given the entire premise of the article was "games launched since WoW," it would have been silly to include EQII... even if it was only a couple weeks before it.

Originally posted by SonikFlash

Neither had the success of Club Penguin. Free Realms is somewhat struggling from all accounts. Great initial numbers, very little retention. Same for FusionFall. I considered both.

Thats why i edited my post right after i made it. Even before your comeback post was posted.

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

I think this is a very sound list, and well-researched. I think some MMORPG.com forumites can be quite myopic when it comes to the MMO industry.  I'm rather curious though why Vanguard made the list and not, say Warhammer or Age of Conan..not that I've played either of them.  While none of the three lived up to their hype, Warhammer at the least wasn't a failure at launch.

Mind, I find the other less prominent selections for your list less bothersome which says a lot about Vanguard really.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

As far as the Free realms and Cartoon network online stuff goes I think a lot of the problem is that they were trying to get kids into a subcription based game and not a lot of parents are into paying subcriptions.

Sure they will buy the kid a game box but for some reason most will not take out a gaming subcription.

WAAAY back when when Runescape was my intro to mmos and they made the members version of the game I noticed right away after subcribing that the population was about 90% teens and adults.

The preteens were by and large stuck back in the add powered f2p model. I had a few friends (RL friends)  who were in their teens that used mom or dads credit card with their permission using their own money. But none of THEIR younger frinds could convince mom and dad to spring for a $5 a month memebership.

When I tried the games(cartoon network and free realms) I found both of them to have far from fluid controls (Especially the much hyped Kart racing in free realms)

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Interesting list but I really think Fallen Earth and Aion are just too new to be here-give them a quarter year at least!

What were #11 and 12?

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I never did play Pirates of the Burning sea, but I think I might give the trial a shot.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

Originally posted by Liltawen

Interesting list but I really think Fallen Earth and Aion are just too new to be here-give them a quarter year at least!
    What were #11 and 12?

I also considered that same thing with those two new games. Ultimately, I decided to include them, but I wavered on that until the last second. In the end, given commercial success was not my primary measurement, I figured it was OK to put them in.

Basically, I went through the list post-WoW and made a giant list. That included every game on there, plus a few more. From that, I picked 10.

The other games I had briefly considered were: Habbo, Dofus, Silkroad Online, Age of Conan, Free Realms, Mabinogi, Champions Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic, Darkfall and Warhammer Online.

To be clear, that doesn't mean I truly was going to put them on. Just that they popped out at me as I was browsing through.

Runes of Magic and Silkroad were likely 11 and 12, if I had to label it.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Sadly, the top 10 MMOs since WoW hasn't quite lived up to our expectations. I doubt any of these games even rival EQ numbers in its prime.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587
    Originally posted by brostyn

Sadly, the top 10 MMOs since WoW hasn't quite lived up to our expectations. I doubt any of these games even rival EQ numbers in its prime.

numbers don't always = good game

Lotro is the perfect example...i doubt it has more than 700k subs but its a damn fine game (and no1 on this list)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

First off, LotRO deserves that #1 spot

With that aside, I pretty much agree with tho whole list but I do think EQ2 should be up there. I know i launced about 2 weeks before WoW but it wasnt ready. SoE learned a lot and worked hard on their game to make it where it is today (kinda like Vanguard imo). I think EQ2 could have been a notible exception given it is right there with WoWs launch

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by brostyn

That's the expected result when you flood the market with MMOs in an ultra-fast pace, as it has been post-WoW, only the truly fun or addictive ones will retain enough users to be called big and survive, the challenge of subscription MMOs... or generate enough money, the challenge of F2P MMOs that is potentially easier (and that's the reason you see them being the "huge majority" of the MMOs in all these 174, but only 4 made it into this top 10).

However, they will never (or really really few, who knows for how long) touch the great subscription numbers of the past, much less the WoWesque numbers.

• Perfection66Perfection66 Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Swoogie

With that aside, I pretty much agree with tho whole list but I do think EQ2 should be up there. I know i launced about 2 weeks before WoW but it wasnt ready. SoE learned a lot and worked hard on their game to make it where it is today (kinda like Vanguard imo). I think EQ2 could have been a notible exception given it is right there with WoWs launch

LOTRO doesnt have 3.5 million subs in Asia like Aion does. Hell Aion even has surpassed the game in West since release, so why isnt Aion considered number 1? All the numbers suggest it should be.

Aion v3 "RELOADED" - A glimpse into the future of the MMO genre

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

What were #11 and 12?

I also considered that same thing with those two new games. Ultimately, I decided to include them, but I wavered on that until the last second. In the end, given commercial success was not my primary measurement, I figured it was OK to put them in.

Basically, I went through the list post-WoW and made a giant list. That included every game on there, plus a few more. From that, I picked 10.

The other games I had briefly considered were: Habbo, Dofus, Silkroad Online, Age of Conan, Free Realms, Mabinogi, Champions Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic, Darkfall and Warhammer Online.

To be clear, that doesn't mean I truly was going to put them on. Just that they popped out at me as I was browsing through.

dofus might not be big in usa ,but in the success ,they still rake in ton of money way more then vanguard 

dofus is a bit more succesfull then eq2 a bit ,about 500k player pay each month ,oh they advertise 1 million or 1.3 if i recall but the average right now that pay to play dofus is 500 k wich is way bigger then vanguard 

for the rest your probably very close to be on the money

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Swoogie

yep eq2 is popular it follow dofus in term of paying player right now,but it was released way before wow lol

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

Great list.  If nothing else it superbly illustrates a genre lacking a sense of direction.

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

What were #11 and 12?

Why didnt you consider Perfect World it has 3-4 time as many players as WoW. I mean i hate the game but it better and alot more successful then some game you put on the list.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• This is a very poor article.

- If you are going to include the casual titles like Club Penguin, maple Story they have to be number one and two on the list as they are far, far, far more successful than any serious adult MMO. They don't belong on the list though.

- Vanguard over Warhammer and Age of Conan...that is just laughable to me, even now it is still poor compared to those (admitedly flawed themselves) games

- Wizard 101? Really? From what I can tell next to no-one plays that game more than once, the may have had two million try it or whatever and its fun in a light way, but like CP and MS it is a kids game and didn't belong on this list.

- Aion and Fallen Earth? again...really? If you judge a game after the reception after two weeks Age of Conan or Warhammer would have topped the list

- If you include Fallen Earth how can you not include Champions Online? It has better production values, is just has fun, has more players playing it. While it is certainly 'more of the same', objectively it is as good a game as Fallen Earth.

- LOTRO is a decent game, but also one of the most formulaic and mundane launched since WoW, certainly not top of my list.

- I could accept an argument for Guild Wars being top of the list, not my personal taste, but that  understand, it is well made, well balanced and popular.

This just seems like a cheap attempt to be a little sensationalist and generate debate with a deliberatly flawed list.