Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Poll Reveals Significant Retention Rate

Comments

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

While the statistics behind such a poll might be suspect and it is more accurate to say that XX% of people that visit that website and saw the topic and bothered to respond to plan on renewing their subscription there is some slight clue in where the overall rentention rates might be going.

Considering that the people that visit these MMO sites have above average interest in these games if they were responding with a high negative rate this would be a serious concern for the game. If you can't retain the most interested you may also be struggling with the more casual player though you can't assume that with a lot of certainty.

If after 6 months Aion adds some more servers then that would be a good indication of a high retention rate and growth. I wouldn't execpt to see any sort of server consolidation for a much longer period of time and you would start to see posts regarding servers being empty a long time before that was to happen.

Based on the people that I play with and my Legion has almost 90 people in it the majority of them will be renewing.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by xanphia

Of course I'll believe a poll by AionSource. It's like saying I'd believe a poll conducted by Fox News.

amazingly still better than any poll from the "official sites", spot any kind of dev/producer/etc in the European ones... and you know pigs will not only fly but shit doughnuts and cookies too

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

When polling the us presidential race, little over 500 people are required in order to accurately predict a winner.

That's not to say that this poll is statistically accurate, but dismissing it simply because there were "only" 1000 votes is a flawed conclusion.

This is a poll of fans, of people who are playing the game and interested enough to visit the site.

Why not just let them enjoy their game?  Just because you don't like it, why do you have to fight so hard to try and 'prove' that the game is a failure.

If this game is so bad, and you have a much better game to play, why aren't you playing it, instead of wasting your time whining and crying and trying to bring others down?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Add me to the list of not resubing cancled reason, not gonna pay to get ganked, can't get a group because of all the gold spaming, when seiging a fortress you get disconnected and ported into enemy camp. This was enough i voted with my wallet.

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

I already bought a year. I sign on Siel around 7PM EST everyday and I have no queue.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by Zarynterk

As long as they restrict the Bots & Gold Sellers I will be staying. Those are the only issues that matter to me.

And from the rampant gold spamming that aint gonna happen... No MMO is willingly solve that problem. Cost them way too much in subs...

While Executive Producer Lance Stites took time to address some of the most prominent issues raised in the Aion community last week, we want to specifically address another issue that is a top priority for the team here at NCsoft: in-game real money trading (RMT) advertisement, sometimes referred to as “gold spamming.” These activities are something we’re actively combating right now. They are also something you can help us with, and something that we are committed to addressing continually in the future.

We currently have Game Masters monitoring all our servers. They track chat channels closely and have been banning thousands of spammers every day. This form of active monitoring is a part of a much larger network of tools and sensors that we’re currently utilizing to help create a better game experience for the Aion community across the board.

If you’re experiencing chat spam, there is a way for you to address this immediately on your own and help us create a better gameplay experience for everyone. You can use the Block User feature. All you need to do is to right-click on a user’s name and choose to block that user. While this doesn’t eliminate the problem, it is one small step you can actively make to improve your game experience. Using Block User also helps us identify spammers much more quickly.

We are considering a number of methods to address this chat spam that have been implemented in previous games, as well exploring new technologies and what they may have to offer to improve your game experience. One upcoming feature for Aion will be an improved chat filter to help reduce the overall chat spam. This filter, along with new tracking and monitoring methods, is the first of many steps that we’ll be taking to help resolve the issue of gold spamming.

We appreciate all the feedback and ideas you have been giving us so far. We will continue to scour the communities out there for other ideas as we go. We absolutely recognize how important this is to you and a good game experience in Aion, and we reiterate that we are currently addressing it. Thank you for your patience and for all of your input.

Yeah believe that crap if you want to, Ill see ya in a years time when there are 100's of sites like there are now selling kinah lol...

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

As long as they restrict the Bots & Gold Sellers I will be staying. Those are the only issues that matter to me.

And from the rampant gold spamming that aint gonna happen... No MMO is willingly solve that problem. Cost them way too much in subs...

While Executive Producer Lance Stites took time to address some of the most prominent issues raised in the Aion community last week, we want to specifically address another issue that is a top priority for the team here at NCsoft: in-game real money trading (RMT) advertisement, sometimes referred to as “gold spamming.” These activities are something we’re actively combating right now. They are also something you can help us with, and something that we are committed to addressing continually in the future.

We currently have Game Masters monitoring all our servers. They track chat channels closely and have been banning thousands of spammers every day. This form of active monitoring is a part of a much larger network of tools and sensors that we’re currently utilizing to help create a better game experience for the Aion community across the board.

If you’re experiencing chat spam, there is a way for you to address this immediately on your own and help us create a better gameplay experience for everyone. You can use the Block User feature. All you need to do is to right-click on a user’s name and choose to block that user. While this doesn’t eliminate the problem, it is one small step you can actively make to improve your game experience. Using Block User also helps us identify spammers much more quickly.

We are considering a number of methods to address this chat spam that have been implemented in previous games, as well exploring new technologies and what they may have to offer to improve your game experience. One upcoming feature for Aion will be an improved chat filter to help reduce the overall chat spam. This filter, along with new tracking and monitoring methods, is the first of many steps that we’ll be taking to help resolve the issue of gold spamming.

We appreciate all the feedback and ideas you have been giving us so far. We will continue to scour the communities out there for other ideas as we go. We absolutely recognize how important this is to you and a good game experience in Aion, and we reiterate that we are currently addressing it. Thank you for your patience and for all of your input.

Yeah believe that crap if you want to, Ill see ya in a years time when there are 100's of sites like there are now selling kinah lol...

IGE is one of the big guns in that market ,zam.com send you to most of  ige linked site 

when i try to avoid ige basicly there are no gamer site left or very few 

this one is a neutral one i believe ,g4tv,mmosite  but theregetting rare ,since ige buy a lot of them for goldselling purpose

or ebay item sale 

• blueberrieabblueberrieab Member Posts: 2

the game has potential but i'll only be renewing if they fix the horrible spam issues, botting, etc. seems like they are working on it.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We did by the way, conduct our own poll here in this thread, and so far with over 280 votes we're at 57% yes 37% no. I think that is definitely worth noting.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by MNZeba

I already bought a year. I sign on Siel around 7PM EST everyday and I have no queue.

So once you get a character to max level what are you going to do?  They never bothered to put much of an end game into it?

Hope you like making multiple characters because that is about all you will be doing.

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by MikeB

A poll conducted at AionSource has received over 1,000 votes and reveals some pretty telling statistics about how the population is feeling about Aion as the game nears its third week mark. The poll asks players if they will be renewing their subscriptions after the first free month, and as of this writing roughly 59% of North American players who answered the poll said yes, while only 9% say they will cancel.

The poll results can be viewed here.
    So, how are you feeling about Aion at this point? Have you decided whether or not you will be renewing your subscription after your free month is up?  I'm also trying something new, and have added our own poll to the comments section of this story. So vote and let us know your thoughts!

ok here are my 5 cents:

the poll on aionsource is close to meaningless because it is an aion related fansite. the participants in the poll have not been selected randomly amongst all aion players.

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131

I won't be resubbing :)

Getting tired of the same competitive race towards the end-game that seems to have taken over every single platform these days... I play to relax, not to have a job in my spare time, another 'must-do' thing, and so far, none of the new games are capable of delivering... Aion being the latest of many :)

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• furylustfurylust Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by FuRyluzt

Originally posted by vladakov

In my opinion 1000 votes aren't realistic for an MMORPG statistic.

^ also a very good point!

Actually it depends on their sampling methods. Often political polls that only sample a few thousands can be accurate (up to a few percentage points) in predicting election results where millions (or more) vote are cast.

Statistics is a wonderful thing if you know how to do it correctly.

I understand that concept, I've taken statistics before. The only sampling method in this poll was on  a website dedicated to the game however. Most people who don't like the game won't be hanging around on the website.

• UsedManateeUsedManatee Member Posts: 161

Wait I have my own:

NEWSFLASH: Poll conducted at moveon.org reveals significant number of militant liberals / astonishingly few members of the NRA!

--

Well, duh.  I can't believe this was posted by a staffer.  Wait, yes I can.

How dare you present him with logic! Don't you understand? He fights epic fights, in epic games, with epic toons....eats epic food and takes epic dumps! He has more e..pic..icity...ness in his little finger than you have in your whole unepic body! - ChicagoCub

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131

Well... all other things aside, the poll in the OP shows similar numbers.

If they mail their subscribers to tell them the poll is up, you may rest assured the unsatisfied customers will be sure to vote. If there's one thing gamers are good at, it's to air their dis-satisfaction.

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by MikeB

We did by the way, conduct our own poll here in this thread, and so far with over 280 votes we're at 57% yes 37% no. I think that is definitely worth noting.

How is your own usless poll worth noting like aionsources wothless poll, when less than 1000 people vote out of a supposedly 500k+?   lol  people on the internet can just be retards and just keep voting with multiple accounts etc.  The pools on that site and this are toally usless when seeing any corelation to any games popularity or retention rate.  Infact i may go onto their site right now just to even more screw up their poll.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Considering the amount of negative threads on these forums, the retention rate of almost 60% is astonishingly large.

Also, as far as statistics goes, you don't need to sample half the population to get some meaningful results. Besides, this particular sample draws from mmorpg.com forum goes alone, that are interested in staying, played the game and didn't like it and never played the game but casted a negative vote regardless. If anything, it is probably skewed towards the negative side.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

It s too easy to mes with the poll. I m willing to bet many said yes to re subbing more then 2-3 times. I can say I never answered it as a no because I cancelled before I even saw this poll. I could create many accounts on here and do so but I won t. Polls like this are meaningless. I ll go by the people I know and some stores in town here, who are all saying a big decline in sales, literally next to nothing, and most I know will not resub.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Considering the amount of negative threads on these forums...

DO NOT use these forums as any example of the average customer's view. :) 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  

Your town stores are as indicative as this poll.

Aion drop from the first place to 8th on steam is another story entirely.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Considering the amount of negative threads on these forums, the retention rate of almost 60% is astonishingly large.
    Also, as far as statistics goes, you don't need to sample half the population to get some meaningful results. Besides, this particular sample draws from mmorpg.com forum goes alone, that are interested in staying, played the game and didn't like it and never played the game but casted a negative vote regardless. If anything, it is probably skewed towards the negative side.

As has been mentioned previously biasing a poll is easy enough to do by restricting your sample pool. But this also why threads in these forums tend to be so extremely positive or negative. The people that come here and read and more importantly post tend to be the ones with extreme points of views and in most cases people with negative views are much more likely to post than people that are indifferent or positive about a subject. So the high rate of negative threads on a multi-game site is in effect highly skewed by people with strong opinons wanting to post them. It doesn't mean they are wrong but it is not necessarily representative of the majority view.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

The only thing that this thread and the poll show is that a lot of people don't know how to do/interpret statistics, including the OP - starting with the usage of the term "significant".

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

You're under the false assumption that those accounts are bought legally. Many of them are purchased with credit cards numbers they so graciously received from the guy that just bought game currency from them. Gold sellers are a major source of customer support problems for all MMO devs.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  

When the best expected retention rate is roughly 30%, you wouldn't describe double that amount as significant?

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

When the best expected retention rate is roughly 30%, you wouldn't describe double that amount as significant?

When you say statistics and significant in the same sentence you are talking about statistical significance. Pretty sure this "statistic" has a pretty bad type I error.