Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Galaxies [is] the best [sandbox] MMORPG out there [edited]

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

When I read the O.P., I couldn't help noticing the following two comments:
    “Star Wars: Galaxies is likely the single best MMORPG currently in existence…”
    “A word of warning, however - a number of servers are going away permanently come October 15th.”

Don't these statements seem a bit contradictory?

Im not so sure its contradictory. He likes SWG better than anything else available.  Its pretty much the way I feel about EQ2. His game nor mine have the sub numbers of WOW or even LOTRO but he likes SWG better.  For enjoyment purposes his game is the best for him. The fact that servers are closing could in fact increase his enjoyment of the game with more folks to enjoy it with.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

“A word of warning, however - a number of servers are going away permanently come October 15th.”

Im not so sure its contradictory. He likes SWG better than anything else available.  Its pretty much the way I feel about EQ2. His game nor mine have the sub numbers of WOW or even LOTRO but he likes SWG better.  For enjoyment purposes his game is the best for him. The fact that servers are closing could in fact increase his enjoyment of the game with more folks to enjoy it with.

Well, I don't mind the O.P. stating personal preferences.  Saying, "I like this MMO better than any other is one thing."  Saying that it's the "best MMORPG currently in existence" I think is highly debatable.  So, I debated it.

Then to say that it is likely one of the best MMO's because of a system that has been repeatedly changed and devalued really begs to be questioned.  So, I questioned it.

Personally, I'd love to hear what the O.P. likes regarding the current game.  I always find that kind of post interesting, and I'm always wondering if SOE has changed how they seem to do business.  However, when I read the following comments:  vets won't like the thread, it won't be over quickly, SWG is the best game on the market, and crafting makes it that way, I start having a lot of questions.

Tbh, a simple post about why someone likes the game, without all the spin, without antagonizing vets, and without critiques of rival products would be very refreshing.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Tbh, a simple post about why someone likes the game, without all the spin, without antagonizing vets, and without critiques of rival products would be very refreshing.

I get the impression that many posters on this forum feel somewhat intimidated by some of the more agressive veterans and therefore adopt a defensive posting style from the start.

I don't think it's necessary, the vets aren't all hell bent on destroying SoE and hating people that play their games. 

Opening a thread with a pre-emptive strike on the forums inhabitants is always a bad move.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Well, I don't mind the O.P. stating personal preferences.  Saying, "I like this MMO better than any other is one thing."  Saying that it's the "best MMORPG currently in existence" I think is highly debatable.  So, I debated it.

Then to say that it is likely one of the best MMO's because of a system that has been repeatedly changed and devalued really begs to be questioned.  So, I questioned it.

Personally, I'd love to hear what the O.P. likes regarding the current game.  I always find that kind of post interesting, and I'm always wondering if SOE has changed how they seem to do business.  However, when I read the following comments:  vets won't like the thread, it won't be over quickly, SWG is the best game on the market, and crafting makes it that way, I start having a lot of questions.

In my opinion it may be, but I still stay away. That says a lot about the state MMOs are in at present (IMO). It is still the only game outside of eve I feel I have options to do what I feel like, rather than follow a set rail everywhere.

Fallen earth is a good game in comparison it may even be a bit better in terms of polish and combat. However it still seems to follow the current trend of offering combat first and not much else after (at least you can explore ) which is more than you can say for most recent mmorpgs. For someone looking for a diverse gameplay experience SWG may be tolerable, thats if the bugs and paint rubbing off doesnt ruin it for you first. Theres no arguing that SWG isnt the frankenstein of MMOs. You feel it every time you log in, something just doesnt fit, anyone who was around for the nge knows exactly what that thing is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

I get the impression that many posters on this forum feel somewhat intimidated by some of the more agressive veterans and therefore adopt a defensive posting style from the start.

I don't think it's necessary, the vets aren't all hell bent on destroying SoE and hating people that play their games. 

Opening a thread with a pre-emptive strike on the forums inhabitants is always a bad move.

On rare occasions I totally agree with Badger here, and this is one of them.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Good points Badger and true in some cases, not all, but some.

At the same time people often post this way in an attempt to discredit any rebuttal that will be posted in response to their points.  In specific regards to swg, for obvious reasons, it almost always seems to happen.  Almost as if to find some measure of forgiveness or a way to overlook the obvious mistake the nge was.

• MikeMBMikeMB Member Posts: 272

As far as I look at it with people like Stillkillin and others I think a good number of those people are hellbent on destroying the game. Besides that the last time I was posting here I had Wildcat and another person sending me pm's after I made my post. None of them I would call "nice".

So I'll go about treating the Vets ALL of the Vets the same damn way.

I can agree with you on that one ^_^. 

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Riceman
    In closing, I'd just like to say this: whatever evil SOE has done to the game with the NGE, they've managed to pull it back from the abyss and turn Galaxies into a really great sandbox MMORPG.

Tell me you're taking shrooms.

this guy isn't trippin he's smoking crack. He is out of his flippn mind!!

Originally posted by MikeMB

As far as I look at it with people like Stillkillin and others I think a good number of those people are hellbent on destroying the game. Besides that the last time I was posting here I had Wildcat and another person sending me pm's after I made my post. None of them I would call "nice".

Well, there are probably a lot of former players that haven't sent you any negative PM's, and that have only ever challenged SOE to follow through on things they've said, to listen to player input (for real), and to slow down the marketting spin.

I think if a game really is the best MMO on the market, it doesn't need all the spin to try to draw new people in.  If a game works well, if it's fun, and if players are treated with respect, I think it likely sells itself.  I can think of a few games that follow this pattern.  Too many though seem to lean too heavily on the marketting department, instead of investing the time and energy required for excellence in development.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Well, there are probably a lot of former players that haven't sent you any negative PM's, and that have only ever challenged SOE to follow through on things they've said, to listen to player input (for real), and to slow down the marketting spin.

I think if a game really is the best MMO on the market, it doesn't need all the spin to try to draw new people in.  If a game works well, if it's fun, and if players are treated with respect, I think it likely sells itself.  I can think of a few games that follow this pattern.  Too many though seem to lean too heavily on the marketting department, instead of investing the time and energy required for excellence in development.

You know Angel no one could have said it better than you just did. I'm electing this as best post on these forums. simple, comprehensive and the truth.

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221

arc i will speak for my sell and i have this to say to mike

qq more

it is not my fault that you don't like the way i post and it is not my fault that you stuck with the nge and if you don't like the fact that us vets are right then you know what gth off of here this is for real mmo players and real gamers not people like you who like the level based bs that no one wants.

oh and i sent you a pm about that too mike lol

and one more thing mike it is not my fault that all of us are working with one another in order to show people what $OE has done. you are just a fanboi who knows how wrong he is and wishes he could cut it with swg back in the day. so do this mike go back to the swg.com forums oh wait they are crying out for pre-cu swg too

That would be a shame, to let a few very disturbed individuals taint your views on your fellow gamers. 

There are some extremists out there intent on nothing more than spreading anger and hatred but they eventually get a forum ban when posting on any reputable forum and go away.

I really like chatting to SWG vets that aren't insane, I run into ex SWG players on forums and while playing other MMORPGs all the time and we share what we liked about previous incarnations of SWG, what sucked and what could be brought back and how that might be done. 

I see vets as very much a part of the wider SWG Community, clearly many are still very passionate about SWG whether they still play or not and its always interesting to hear their views on todays SWG.

That would be a shame, to let a few very disturbed individuals taint your views on your fellow gamers. 

There are some extremists out there intent on nothing more than spreading anger and hatred but they eventually get a forum ban when posting on any reputable forum and go away.

I really like chatting to SWG vets that aren't insane, I run into ex SWG players on forums and while playing other MMORPGs all the time and we share what we liked about previous incarnations of SWG, what sucked and what could be brought back and how that might be done. 

I see vets as very much a part of the wider SWG Community, clearly many are still very passionate about SWG whether they still play or not and its always interesting to hear their views on todays SWG.

badger

i have 250k friends who are demanding pre-cu swg be returned to us i have 250k friends who know what works and that is a sandbox skill based system that everyone loved with balanced combat great crafting that means something

us vets are the swg community

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by stillkillin

badger

i have 250k friends who are demanding pre-cu swg be returned to us i have 250k friends who know what works and that is a sandbox skill based system that everyone loved with balanced combat great crafting that means something

Yeah that's doubtful, but I think Galaxies would pull in 3 to 4x's more subs per month with the old system over what's there now just because of the niche it fills.

badger

Yes, and I had some interesting talks with the Dev team while I was a Senator on the possibility of bringing up Pre-CU/CU servers and just leaving them as is, a bit like a test server that sees no ongoing Development.  They seemed quite interested in doing something like that.

The main focus of Dev time has to be on the main game right now though, and I'm not sure how many vets would be happy with Pre-CU on maintenance only.

Also, what patch level would you bring the servers up on?  Pre Publish 8, or something later?  Some people would prefer something in the CU.

Anyway, I'm veering wildly off topic now... apologies to the OP.

badger

Yes, and I had some interesting talks with the Dev team while I was a Senator on the possibility of bringing up Pre-CU/CU servers and just leaving them as is, a bit like a test server that sees no ongoing Development.  They seemed quite interested in doing something like that.

The main focus of Dev time has to be on the main game right now though, and I'm not sure how many vets would be happy with Pre-CU on maintenance only.

Also, what patch level would you bring the servers up on?  Pre Publish 8, or something later?  Some people would prefer something in the CU.

Anyway, I'm veering wildly off topic now... apologies to the OP.

mark my words it wouldn't be maintenance for long.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Mazin

badger

Yeah that's doubtful, but I think Galaxies would pull in 3 to 4x's more subs per month with the old system over what's there now just because of the niche it fills.

Agreed Mazin. I doubt SWG would bring all the old subbers back (I say doubt, but really, it's almost fact). I would gather though, that MANY more would return than are playing now. Plus those who've never experienced Pre-CU that want to know what all the fuss was about (I mean c'mon, this fiasco has made WAY more headlines than any marketing push for SWG ever did). 

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144

after reading through the posts of this thread i think i would have liked the pre CU SWG. The skill tree some posters mentioned here remind me of UO2 wich unfortunately never happened after i wanted it so much.

i have never tried SWG, but seeing nearly all sandbox/skill-based games going down or away makes me feel unhappy.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

qq more

it is not my fault that you don't like the way i post and it is not my fault that you stuck with the nge and if you don't like the fact that us vets are right then you know what gth off of here this is for real mmo players and real gamers not people like you who like the level based bs that no one wants.

and one more thing mike it is not my fault that all of us are working with one another in order to show people what $OE has done. you are just a fanboi who knows how wrong he is and wishes he could cut it with swg back in the day. so do this mike go back to the swg.com forums oh wait they are crying out for pre-cu swg too

I could almost empathize with you until like so many other's get's right into trying to define what an mmo player is and what an mmo is, guess what chances are if it appears on these boards which many level based games do it's an mmo.  And again this is to say you people often go too far in trying to sell yourself and your own point you don't like those kind of games fine,good for you but don't try to define what I or what I like is.  I'm a vet of the original SWG from launch and you my friend do not speak for me as a vet period and honestly neither do most of you waaay too bitter types who seem to blame the structure of the average mmo for what SOE has done to you, well I'm sorry it's not you don't like those kinds of games do yourselves a favor and stay off the boards because I assure you there are many more games like the ones you diss than what you claim all gamers want.

Also you accuse this Mike of not being able to cut it in the original SWG, what was there to be able to handle was the game fun sure but there ertainly wasn't anything hardcore about it unless you consider nerd boys hell bent on making a name for themselves by betraying their alliance to the other side hardcore, again the game was different it was fun but please stop blaming everyone else for the fact that your percieved vision was considered a failure.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane

qq more

I could almost empathize with you until like so many other's get's right into trying to define what an mmo player is and what an mmo is, guess what chances are if it appears on these boards which many level based games do it's an mmo.  And again this is to say you people often go too far in trying to sell yourself and your own point you don't like those kind of games fine,good for you but don't try to define what I or what I like is.  I'm a vet of the original SWG from launch and you my friend do not speak for me as a vet period and honestly neither do most of you waaay too bitter types who seem to blame the structure of the average mmo for what SOE has done to you, well I'm sorry it's not you don't like those kinds of games do yourselves a favor and stay off the boards because I assure you there are many more games like the ones you diss than what you claim all gamers want.

Also you accuse this Mike of not being able to cut it in the original SWG, what was there to be able to handle was the game fun sure but there ertainly wasn't anything hardcore about it unless you consider nerd boys hell bent on making a name for themselves by betraying their alliance to the other side hardcore, again the game was different it was fun but please stop blaming everyone else for the fact that your percieved vision was considered a failure.

let me tell you a story

in 2003 me and many others got this little game called swg me and many others loved it we loved every moment of playing it however people whined

oh there isn't content oh there isn't this oh there isn't that

before long $OE went about putting things in for the whiners but gave us things we wanted but still the game was fine, and then the whiners got the cu and after that the nge.

no one wanted the cu people quit the game thanks to the cu and the nge is a joke after the 15th i plan on going onto all the so called 'big' servers and taking screen shots to show that no one plays the nge and i know that for a fact.

fact is we vets are more right then anyone and i will do anything i can in order to show that the pre-cu is one of the greatest systems to ever be made and i will also do everything in my power to get that system back. i really don't care if the fanbois and fanbots get upset with me they can go back over to their little nge or level based games that are dying.

and guess what? gaming is dying thanks to them look around at the bs we have now and tell me if any of it is fun or looks fun. know what's fun? working hard and with others to do something. not this solo bs not this idea of dumbing down ever game so everyone can play it. i want what all of you want a game that is hard and tells you to work with others not this console bs so called mmo's like tor that has tons of soloing and no player interaction

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    no one wanted the cu people quit the game thanks to the cu and the nge is a joke after the 15th i plan on going onto all the so called 'big' servers and taking screen shots to show that no one plays the nge and i know that for a fact.
    fact is we vets are more right then anyone and i will do anything i can in order to show that the pre-cu is one of the greatest systems to ever be made and i will also do everything in my power to get that system back. i really don't care if the fanbois and fanbots get upset with me they can go back over to their little nge or level based games that are dying.
    and guess what? gaming is dying thanks to them look around at the bs we have now and tell me if any of it is fun or looks fun. know what's fun? working hard and with others to do something. not this solo bs not this idea of dumbing down ever game so everyone can play it. i want what all of you want a game that is hard and tells you to work with others not this console bs so called mmo's like tor that has tons of soloing and no player interaction

Not to be an ass or anything, but claiming "everyone" or "no one" for anything diminishes your point right away mate. Claiming "no one plays" is just incorrect. People DO still play SWG...far less than DID play, but some do still play. And of those who currently play, I have to assume a vast majority enjoy the game they have...otherwise they'd probably quit.

You are right though...the game is dying. SoE didn't know what they had pre-CU or pre-NGE...they were ONLY concerned with what they didn't have and that lead to changing the system again and again...causing them to lose more and more of what they DID have...that trend in ignoring their current base seems to be a habitual problem for SoE.

Another point I want to argue is the whole "solo bs"...The MMO market is growing and developers need to market to more than just the "group" player. In a guild that had 25+ players on most nights, only about 5 of them actually "contributed" to guild chat. The majority of players, IMO, prefer to do things on their own. Grouping needs to be encouraged...but not mandated.

CoH's just introduced scaleable encounters (if I understood correctly) where you select how difficult you want it to be - CL of enemy and # in your party. You aren't forced to have a group to complete things...grouping is encouraged with more favorable loot drops (%) and more Mobs (more XP), but not mandated. I think this type of system is what we'll see future MMOs going towards as it allows for both types of personalities...the grouper and the soloer.

As solo players gain confidence, they tend to become group players. Allowing them to try encounters on their own allows them to avoid looking like a dolt when they're with a group- and it's human nature to not want to look like a complete fool. Again, if I understand the CoH system correctly, I think it's the "next big thing" in online gaming.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

EVE is currently the best sandbox MMORPG on the market in my opinion...

However, I think SWG is second on the list. Regardless of everything that was done to the game and the deep seeded hatred that so many of you feel for it, the game as it is now STILL has more features that sanbox fans look for than nearly any other title.

Is SWG a great game? In my opinion, most definitely no. Is SWG a well-featured sandbox? Yes.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Anubisan

However, I think SWG is second on the list. Regardless of everything that was done to the game and the deep seeded hatred that so many of you feel for it, the game as it is now STILL has more features that sanbox fans look for than nearly any other title.
    Is SWG a great game? In my opinion, most definitely no. Is SWG a well-featured sandbox? Yes.

EVE is a pretty good sandbox, it has its problems though.   SWG was a pretty good sandbox for the first 4 years.   I see people still crafting and selling, but loot has taken over.   SWG suffers from hyper inflation, everything good costs millions of credits.    I have all the crafters and its not worth making anything beyond for yourself these days.    

SWG has the best crafting game I have ever seen in any mmo, its a shame they dont appreaciate it at all.    Right now the TCG card game loot is priority and more than likely will be till they shut the game down.     EVE is like how SWG used to be, risk and reward.    I liked that small profit, you had a game economy back in 2003-2006, that part of the game is gone.    I used to have to pay people to farm up resources, then I would have a overhead with vendors houses, and harvestors that always kept me buisy and having fun.      Now its plop in a few million into the harvestor and not even worry cause Im raking in millions of credits for a backpack I looted, and no one cares about spending millions cause the credit farmers have put in billions of credits into the game.    SOE even rewards people in game for this, thier is a Billionare title, and we all know all those credits were bought.   

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Anubisan

Level based gameplay, instanced dungeons, instanced pvp, pre defined character classes, scripted quest based advancement, NPC item loot based economy.  Those are not aspects of a sandbox game. 

Really, housing is the last real sandbox feature swg has left.