Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion needs to cut the grind....simple as that.

Comments

• gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by Haiar

Grinding is practice, grinding is money, grinding can be fun if you make it fun.

Don't forget about Life! The Longest and most pain-stakingly grind you will ever do until your character is deleted :). Hopefully, you picked up a rare drop or a butt-load of money in the end.

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Kingdoms of Amular, Firefall

• HaiarHaiar Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by gorillaz951

Grinding is practice, grinding is money, grinding can be fun if you make it fun.

Don't forget about Life! The Longest and most pain-stakingly grind you will ever do until your character is deleted :). Hopefully, you picked up a rare drop or a butt-load of money in the end.

Nicely put :)

• CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by gorillaz951

Im starting to really like you ;)

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by Cammy
    Originally posted by Sunrider  

I don't know if its just me, but as I find myself getting older with more responsibilities, I just don't have the time to sit at the computer for 10+hours a day like all of those who are reaching cap already. I'm not asking for an easy to reach level cap, but it'd be fun if the game actually had some content to make it fun.
    As I said in a previous post, there will always be people that cap out in the first week or so, and if you're going to make the leveling curve a significant one, then don't start off with the first 15-20 levels being all sunshine and happiness to invite you in to a game and 25+ to rip you apart. Its just unfair to those who think they've bought a game that is fun and relaxed and turns out to be something like everything else under the heading of "Eastern MMO".
    Sure I can see those people who say "Suck it up and grind it out", or the post about the rep grind in WoW; however, in WoW you weren't forced to do the rep grinds and I rarely did unless there was something I had really wanted, you weren't forced to do it like leveling. Also, grinding out those last levels in WoW from 57-60ish, yeah, it's not so bad when its 3 levels compared to 25 levels and you're at the peak of your game.
    Sorry if I want to have fun while leveling and playing a game. Grinding shit out just doesn't cut it.

May I ask (and this isn't a troll post) but what's the rush to get to max level exactly?
    You can do PLENTY of things 25+ that still have lots of PVP and fun adventures.
    I have a life, I don't spend 6+ hours on the PC a day (outside of work anyways), and I don't care if I don't reach cap till Xmas... I don't get what the deal is (legitimate question - again no flaming)

I have no real rush to reach level cap, I've taken 6+ months before to reach it in other games, but in Aion, its just not FUN. There lacks any real fun in doing it. The minimal amount of quest in this game make it boring, and half the time the benefits from completing quest just aren't worth running back and forth. Not to mention the lack of comradery in this game, is close to non-existent, unless you get into a legion, and even then, you better hope you're on par with them or you're left behind.
    I'm not trying to reach cap within 2 weeks, but I would enjoy the game if they added in fun things to do and some decent quest with some decent rewards. Hell, even crafting is a grind, however the gathering is probably the best I've seen in any game (aside from when you get gathering quest. Those suck hard-core gonads).

We have a different opinion of what is "fun"

I find Aion VERY fun. I don't mind grinding a few mobs to get a level.. in fact, I enjoy it. I see Im only 2 bars away and I instantly run off to kill a bunch of mobs in order to gain that level. I LIKE doing that...

The fact you don't like it or don't think its fun has nothing to do with the game or it being a design flaw... but everything to do with how you feel when you play. I love Aion, I enjoy playing. I don't get bored questing/grinding/whatever you want to call it. I can see how Aion isn't for everyone but personally I think its fantastic. 

It's not that I have a huge problem with grinding, its just that there is no fun in it. I loved grinding in FFXI, SWG, and so on and so forth, but with AION, there is no comradery, like I spoke of earlier. Unfortunately, far too many of the current players have the mindset that its all about the solo action, and I, personally, have found it hard to find a good grind group. Personally, I've found mostly idiots that have one objective, and they usually end up taking agro from the plate, running away and agro'ing other creatures, wiping the whole group.

Furthermore, the amount of kill stealing is absurd. Why did NCSoft, in all their gaming experience, decide that it was a good idea to let someone grab agro off of you and whoever does the most damage gets the kill? Where was this a good idea? I've played second fiddle to spirit masters and sorcerers more times then I'd like to admit, and its not only rude and goes back to show the WoW mentality of many of the players, but makes the game less enjoyable knowing you have more of that to look forward to.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

The Killstealing at times can be bad. However the reason they had it where you could get aggro off of current group and attempt to take the kill is to bring out the competition. However I think this should probably have been left open only between the opposing factions.. Overall though 90% of the time if you tell someone you are camping a spot for an item, the other players will either leave... I have also seen other people hovering and easily sent them a tell asking them if they needed the item as well we could always group up for it. Sometimes they do sometimes they dont.

I don't know if its just me, but as I find myself getting older with more responsibilities, I just don't have the time to sit at the computer for 10+hours a day like all of those who are reaching cap already. I'm not asking for an easy to reach level cap, but it'd be fun if the game actually had some content to make it fun.

As I said in a previous post, there will always be people that cap out in the first week or so, and if you're going to make the leveling curve a significant one, then don't start off with the first 15-20 levels being all sunshine and happiness to invite you in to a game and 25+ to rip you apart. Its just unfair to those who think they've bought a game that is fun and relaxed and turns out to be something like everything else under the heading of "Eastern MMO".

Sure I can see those people who say "Suck it up and grind it out", or the post about the rep grind in WoW; however, in WoW you weren't forced to do the rep grinds and I rarely did unless there was something I had really wanted, you weren't forced to do it like leveling. Also, grinding out those last levels in WoW from 57-60ish, yeah, it's not so bad when its 3 levels compared to 25 levels and you're at the peak of your game.

Sorry if I want to have fun while leveling and playing a game. Grinding shit out just doesn't cut it.

May I ask (and this isn't a troll post) but what's the rush to get to max level exactly?

I have a life, I don't spend 6+ hours on the PC a day (outside of work anyways), and I don't care if I don't reach cap till Xmas... I don't get what the deal is (legitimate question - again no flaming)

I have no real rush to reach level cap, I've taken 6+ months before to reach it in other games, but in Aion, its just not FUN. There lacks any real fun in doing it. The minimal amount of quest in this game make it boring, and half the time the benefits from completing quest just aren't worth running back and forth. Not to mention the lack of comradery in this game, is close to non-existent, unless you get into a legion, and even then, you better hope you're on par with them or you're left behind.

I'm not trying to reach cap within 2 weeks, but I would enjoy the game if they added in fun things to do and some decent quest with some decent rewards. Hell, even crafting is a grind, however the gathering is probably the best I've seen in any game (aside from when you get gathering quest. Those suck hard-core gonads).

I find Aion VERY fun. I don't mind grinding a few mobs to get a level.. in fact, I enjoy it. I see Im only 2 bars away and I instantly run off to kill a bunch of mobs in order to gain that level. I LIKE doing that...

The fact you don't like it or don't think its fun has nothing to do with the game or it being a design flaw... but everything to do with how you feel when you play. I love Aion, I enjoy playing. I don't get bored questing/grinding/whatever you want to call it. I can see how Aion isn't for everyone but personally I think its fantastic. 

It's not that I have a huge problem with grinding, its just that there is no fun in it. I loved grinding in FFXI, SWG, and so on and so forth, but with AION, there is no comradery, like I spoke of earlier. Unfortunately, far too many of the current players have the mindset that its all about the solo action, and I, personally, have found it hard to find a good grind group. Personally, I've found mostly idiots that have one objective, and they usually end up taking agro from the plate, running away and agro'ing other creatures, wiping the whole group.

Furthermore, the amount of kill stealing is absurd. Why did NCSoft, in all their gaming experience, decide that it was a good idea to let someone grab agro off of you and whoever does the most damage gets the kill? Where was this a good idea? I've played second fiddle to spirit masters and sorcerers more times then I'd like to admit, and its not only rude and goes back to show the WoW mentality of many of the players, but makes the game less enjoyable knowing you have more of that to look forward to.

I agree that kill stealing is annoying... but how does it differ from a game like WoW (since everyone likes to compare the two)

Seriously.. I can't count how many times I would run to a mob only to have a hunter/mage/lock etc shoot the mob 2 steps before I got to it. Its obvious I was going for that mob - but yet... people would rush in and "take" my kill before I even had a chance to attack.

Its the same in all games Im afraid... 

• drklunkdrklunk Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by teco221

Originally posted by drklunk

NOT ENOUGH QUESTS?  usually I find people who can't find quest to do are:

1.  Too lazy to look around

2. Die too many times and lost too much xp, so they can't level up.  (Yes, you can fix your XP but part of XP is lost forever)

3.  Decide to skip all "Group quests"

There are 1000+ quests for each faction.

Pandaemounium - 88
    Ishalgen - 46
    Altgard - 114
    Mortheim - 211
    Brusthonin - 102
    Belusion - 211
    Abyss - 413

So how many quests have you done totally?

Across Algard and Mortheim, about 300 give or take a few. Thats also not counting the repeatable coin quests, which Ive done about 10-15 of each

Then you are lying. LOL because Mortheim level ranges are 20-40, so you are only early 20s, there is no way you can find that many quests to do in Mortheim.  Most of peopel would go to Brusthonin to do part of lvl 20s quests.

Well Ive also got better things to do than count my quest, I was also just throwing a number out there without actually taking into consideration what numbers youve posted. A more logical estimation would be 200 or so. I just went to Brusthonin because I didnt know what levels were there

SO now change of story and number?? 

Basically, you are into #1 and #2.  The reason is you can't find quests because there is no Quest mark on the map, so you can't find them.  Since you are a ranger, it's harder for ranger to level up at lower level and they die easily, so I would say you lost a lot of xp even you have done so many quests but  loss of xp prevent you from leveling up.  so vicious cycle is You CAN NOT level, therefore you can NOT get new quests, then No new quests, you can NOT level.

Teco, you trying to be a doche? I dont see how its relevent, fact is Ive done the lot of qests

Im not in either, Im just a casual player with better things to do. I rarely ever die and I do whatever quests I can find. Plus you dont lose XP when you die cause you can just get your "soul healed"

I agree that kill stealing is annoying... but how does it differ from a game like WoW (since everyone likes to compare the two)
    Seriously.. I can't count how many times I would run to a mob only to have a hunter/mage/lock etc shoot the mob 2 steps before I got to it. Its obvious I was going for that mob - but yet... people would rush in and "take" my kill before I even had a chance to attack.

Its the same in all games Im afraid... 

Theres a difference between tagging a mob and having it stolen while you're in the middle of killing it. I don't mean when I'm running up to some shit, I mean when I'm in the middle of killing it and they come up and blast the hell out of it.

Also, once again, the issue of the lack of people willing to work together in this game has been avoided like the plague. Am I the only one who has had an issue finding a decent group that know how to grind out levels?

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• cpc71783cpc71783 Member Posts: 45

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Originally posted by cpc71783

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

I like that quote, thanks for sharing man

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

Anybody remember Diablo 2?  Hell, such a fun game.  What was the point of it again.. oh yeah, pretty much 'grinding'.

If you really such problems with the 'grind' of quests, mobs, professions, whatever you feel like complaining about.. then MMOs are not the game for you.  Even EVE, a game which most would say does not have a 'grind', does indeed have a 'grind'.  A time grind, a money grind, a reputation grind, a Corporation grind.

An MMO, as a game, needs to have a system of progress, so shut up about grinding.  AION has plenty of quests to lead you up until level 30 at least and I still find quests here.  If you don't like moving zones for new quests or doing group quests then.. well, I don't really care, don't play the damn game and shut up.  You can even go to the Abyss and gank people for EXP if you're so worried.

Not enough quests? Likely not looking hard enough? Quests are still grinds, just directed grinds, after all, but still.

As an after-note, two of my favorite online games were Ragnarok Online, a pure grindfest, and Diablo 2, not really an MMO but a slightly guided grind.  These games were fun.  Why can't we just find the fun in our MMOs and stop complaining about 'in' words that are the hot topic of the hour?

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Also, once again, the issue of the lack of people willing to work together in this game has been avoided like the plague. Am I the only one who has had an issue finding a decent group that know how to grind out levels?

Is this the first MMO you have ever played?  If not where you in a guild and some of the members also came over?  I mean seriously, if your going to sit their and complain no group no group.  Spend an hour or two go research a few guilds, contact one and join it.  By researching you probably will find a guild that is a good fit and people to..GROUP with.  If I want to group that is what I'm doing.  Once I get off this newbie area, that is exactly what I will do since only one other person joined this game.  Go find a guild to group and play with.

Calling any MMO a solo game without taking the time to actually get into the groups is pathetic.  If you want to group do go get in a guild, find a group of people that can play with you, etc.  Don't expect everyone and there brother ingame willing to group up with some random, it doesn't always happen. 

Originally posted by kilun

Is this the first MMO you have ever played?  If not where you in a guild and some of the members also came over?  I mean seriously, if your going to sit their and complain no group no group.  Spend an hour or two go research a few guilds, contact one and join it.  By researching you probably will find a guild that is a good fit and people to..GROUP with.  If I want to group that is what I'm doing.  Once I get off this newbie area, that is exactly what I will do since only one other person joined this game.  Go find a guild to group and play with.
    Calling any MMO a solo game without taking the time to actually get into the groups is pathetic.  If you want to group do go get in a guild, find a group of people that can play with you, etc.  Don't expect everyone and there brother ingame willing to group up with some random, it doesn't always happen. 

I did do that, and unfortunately, I was ahead of the curve in the guild I was in. I don't have a problem with this, but unless this is YOUR first MMO, then you should know that grinding, while often times happened within guilds, was also something done with lots and lots of PUG'ing. Older games, before the standard of solo that WoW presented, it was common to group with random people and make friends with lots of people that way. Often times, thats how you would join a guild because people would group up together and you'd like them, etc, etc. Anymore we see close-nit guilds moving from game to game and going on their way.

Originally posted by Fortenc

Anybody remember Diablo 2?  Hell, such a fun game.  What was the point of it again.. oh yeah, pretty much 'grinding'.

If you really such problems with the 'grind' of quests, mobs, professions, whatever you feel like complaining about.. then MMOs are not the game for you.  Even EVE, a game which most would say does not have a 'grind', does indeed have a 'grind'.  A time grind, a money grind, a reputation grind, a Corporation grind.

An MMO, as a game, game needs to have a system of progress, so shut up about grinding.  AION has plenty of quests to lead you up until level 30 at least and I still find quests here.  If you don't like moving zones for new quests or doing group quests then.. well, I don't really care, don't play the damn game and shut up.  You can even go to the Abyss and gank people for EXP if you're so worried.

Not enough quests? Likely not looking hard enough? Quests are still grinds, just directed grinds, after all, but still.

As an after-note, two of my favorite online games were Ragnarok Online, a pure grindfest, and Diablo 2, not really an MMO but a slightly guided grind.  These games were fun.  Why can't we just find the fun in our MMOs and stop complaining about 'in' words that are the hot topic of the hour?

I want your babies... 

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

^ Kinky.

Also, 200th post.  Woot.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• holonistholonist Member Posts: 181

NOT ENOUGH QUESTS?  usually I find people who can't find quest to do are:

1.  Too lazy to look around

2. Die too many times and lost too much xp, so they can't level up.  (Yes, you can fix your XP but part of XP is lost forever)

3.  Decide to skip all "Group quests"

There are 1000+ quests for each faction.

Pandaemounium - 88
    Ishalgen - 46
    Altgard - 114
    Mortheim - 211
    Brusthonin - 102
    Belusion - 211
    Abyss - 413

So how many quests have you done totally?

Across Algard and Mortheim, about 300 give or take a few. Thats also not counting the repeatable coin quests, which Ive done about 10-15 of each

Then you are lying. LOL because Mortheim level ranges are 20-40, so you are only early 20s, there is no way you can find that many quests to do in Mortheim.  Most of peopel would go to Brusthonin to do part of lvl 20s quests.

Well Ive also got better things to do than count my quest, I was also just throwing a number out there without actually taking into consideration what numbers youve posted. A more logical estimation would be 200 or so. I just went to Brusthonin because I didnt know what levels were there

SO now change of story and number?? 

Basically, you are into #1 and #2.  The reason is you can't find quests because there is no Quest mark on the map, so you can't find them.  Since you are a ranger, it's harder for ranger to level up at lower level and they die easily, so I would say you lost a lot of xp even you have done so many quests but  loss of xp prevent you from leveling up.  so vicious cycle is You CAN NOT level, therefore you can NOT get new quests, then No new quests, you can NOT level.

Teco, you trying to be a doche? I dont see how its relevent, fact is Ive done the lot of qests

Im not in either, Im just a casual player with better things to do. I rarely ever die and I do whatever quests I can find. Plus you dont lose XP when you die cause you can just get your "soul healed"

And you lost my respect right there , every time you die you loose 3% xp , 2% are recovered via soul healing , 1% its always lost , and dont go claiming that you never died so you couldnt notice this . Not knowing simple facts like this kind kills all your rant ...

And im playing the game and still find it boring and a huge grind ....

Originally posted by holonist

And you lost my respect right there , every time you die you loose 3% xp , 2% are recovered via soul healing , 1% its always lost , and dont go claiming that you never died so you couldnt notice this . Not knowing simple facts like this kind kills all your rant ...
    And im playing the game and still find it boring and a huge grind ....

I said rarely ever die, I died a lot 10-15. Once I hit 16 I got better at kiting and avoided death a lot better. Thats not to say I havent died but I very rarely do. Also, 1% is not a significant amount so its easy to go unnoticed. 

Perhaps my problem is Im PAYING to grind when I could easily get almost the same, not nearly as well polished, experience in some F2P MMO.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by cpc71783

What so many of you don't seem to be understanding is that many of us who have been offering our constructive criticism on this thread ARE FOCUSING ON THE JOURNEY.

We have simply been saying that there is not enough quest content to make the journey enjoyable. If a large portion of the game requires you to grind out mobs to level, that is NOT an enjoyable journey for a lot of us. That is painstakingly repetitive and monotonous and is not fun. Grinding in fact makes us focus on the destination because the journey is not enjoyable (at least for me... and I know I'm not alone). I'm glad that so many of you do enjoy doing the same exact thing over and over and over again, but frankly, I've had enough of it. I have done it in so many different MMORPGs starting clear back in Ultima Online and I just think that this mechanic is extremely outdated and does not belong in games at this stage.

Its not like I don't enjoy working for a goal. I just wish that there was enough content available so that I don't have to spend a ton of my time grinding the same mobs over and over again. I have already had to do this several times in Aion and it is very difficult for me to look past. 

MMOs have been evolving and it is not too much to ask for developers to provide enough content for the level treadmill. If they couldn't be bothered to write quests all the way up, they should have just lowered the maximum level so that the content does not run dry.

So before more people post some ridiculous replies indicating that we are whining about the game taking too long to level, please READ our responses. You will clearly see that this is not what we (most of us) have been commenting about...

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by SanzenSekai

Leveling up in Aion was quite painful for me, never have I completed such boring, mindless quests, I think I enjoyed leveling in WoW more TBH, the feeling of grind and repetition was so apparent in Aion and the theme park style walls killed it for me.

how is it any different to wow, in the end you have to kill stuff repeditively to level. same for all mmo's.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Speaking of cutting the grind -LINK-

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by ronan32

Leveling up in Aion was quite painful for me, never have I completed such boring, mindless quests, I think I enjoyed leveling in WoW more TBH, the feeling of grind and repetition was so apparent in Aion and the theme park style walls killed it for me.

how is it any different to wow, in the end you have to kill stuff repeditively to level. same for all mmo's.

NO, you are wrong here. considering the 18 pages of this thread there is definitely an annyoing grind. i do not se 18 pages of a grind related thread in any other game so far.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by thanith

NO, you are wrong here. considering the 18 pages of this thread there is definitely an annyoing grind. i do not se 18 pages of a grind related thread in any other game so far.

Hah, and how many users are complaining in those 18 pages?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by thanith

Don't think he's wrong at all.

I do the same gameplay in WoW that I do In Aion.

exactly 2 weeks after launch and I'm lvl 31, more than halfway to level cap. Playing semi-hardcore but not all out sitting on the toilet while playing, and never leaving the house to enjoy life gaming.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

I keep getting spammed by this power leveling service, why dont most of you bitches note down the website and pay them to level your character since you are all obviously big wow babies, actually just quit the game so i dont have to tell you morons how to do another fucking quest.

• VicatinVicatin Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by Jackio81

Now maybe this formula is working well in the Asian market considering how much those gamers love to grind....but I'm sorry it's just not going to work here and here's my explanation.

(Oh and I'm not an absolutist so I believe in reasonable arguments that could change my outlook...0o)

If you haven't noticed, Aion is a game without a PvE server so and so called "normal" server, so whether you hate PvP or not you will have to deal with it one shape or form to get anywhere in this game. Right there you're already cutting out a big chunk of gamers here on the west.

Now let's talk about players that enjoy PvP, the problem I see with this game right now is grind just doesn't work for this crowd.

Up until level 20 this game is actually enjoyable, but once that level comes and goes that's when the XP bar just about doubles in size and the quests begin to give just as much as a single mob encounter.

If you want to make a game that caters to PvP don't force them to grind much, this is a lesson that was well learned in WAR that is once again showing up here in the different way.

In WAR players found PvE the best means of leveling and gearing up for RvR, and since the RvR system in itself was flawed and badly thought out the game failed to impress PvPers.

In Aion players have to PvE if they want to compete with other players, there is no choice like what you'd see in WAR, and the grind is so enduring that the game is turning into a gankfest where players try to grind while in fear of being attacked by other players at all times.

Aion simply forces PvPers to PvE, and PvEers to PvP.....this is not a well thought out scheme to satisfy players. If you want to make a PvP game you're focus needs to stay away from grind as much as possible, and this game doesn't allow you to do it, it forces you not just to PvE but grind...and I don't see any bigger turn off for a PvPer than this!

Either cut the grind or alow players to gain xp from other players...either than this I don't see this game doing so well...0o

I know i'm not the first one to say this. Go back to WoW.