Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the story?

GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

I really like story in an MMORPG. Interesting NPCs that give meaningful missions (and hopefully follow-up missions). I'd like to join a Faction (Techs, Enforcers or Lightbearers) and really help their cause.

Can I get this from Fallen Earth? I fear that because this MMORPG is more sandbox-like, these elements will suffer. That it will be more "guild" vs "guild" PvP instead of Faction vs. Faction. And that interesting story stuff only happens if you're part of some sort of Roleplaying-clique, who come up with their own events. While I like player-driven content, I'd also like a bigger setting to be part of (player-driven stuff usually gets pretty fractured).

Comments

• Haggis13Haggis13 Member Posts: 117

The story is fair. Obviously, FE being more of a sand-box MMO, there is no huge story-driven content, but there is a story arc comparable to how LotRO handles their epic storyline (albeit FE's story is slightly less omni-present than in LotRO). That said, the setting is simply amazingly well-done and the quests you have to do really feel like they belong in this setting. In that sense, then, the story is amazing, as the setting is well worked out, the individual quests have a proper amount of story-line behind them, and the quest story-lines fit well into the larger scheme.

• PC2009PC2009 Member Posts: 15

No. I play TCOS LOTRO and FE, FE has poor graphics poor performances and brainless quests.

Kill 10 coyotes ok Then kill 5 dancers Ok Then kill 10 other dancers (OMG)

etc etc etc. A joke .. joke ? No payed 49euro for this joke. 

The beginning I mean the tutorial is fine, looks like a real RPG. You are in a story, but when you enter in the world you understand... you only lost your money. FE looks like a "cheap" version of Tabula Rasa, a TR made by an indie dev with low funds etc.  it's not a sandbox game but a bad clone (a bad mix between Tabula Rasa and SWG) 

This game is full of ninjas, no grouping but a lot of questions in HELP channel. A pure disappointment. It's the 1st time I cancel a sub only 2 DAYS after the beginning.  Even the download of the game is a pain...

Only for Ex Tabula Rasa refugees. They have now their "clone". (not an AAA)

You'll find better FPS or RPG F2P on the market...

FE has only ONE quality: you can create and customize your char, I mean you don't have to play a priest or a tank or a ranger. But you cant trust me if I say that classic classes on EQ2 and VG are much better than this. Combat is a mess (you have to clic 10 times on the mob and many times on the skill to fight, the game is buggy , has horrible lag and terrible and low performances: plus a huge delay when you try to do somethin: you can't play. It's unplayable.  EVERYONE had problems with warping, take a look on official forums)

This game needs maybe 1 year of patches and bug fixes. It's not even a beta, but an alpha.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Yes, there is a main, overarching story line, which starts right after you come out from LifeNet the first time (You are dying series). Later on, most of the quests involve a storyline as well, factions quest chains for bankers, for Franklin's riders, for Lifenet re-activation... a couple of stories. I think they are really well written, and comprehensive.

Only thing is, you need to level up during them, so will need to do other, a bit more mundane quests, or grind/craft to level up!

Also, gaining the ability to craft an ATV is a multi-level quest chain itself :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

The omni-present story is that you're a clone who's had his DNA damaged and to restore your immortality, you need to fetch some DNA from an Alpha clone. It's not really that awesome. The quests, they are interesting and the quest text is actually pretty funny, witty, or just well written.

As for the faction, I haven't really bothered with them yet, so I'm not sure there.

The graphics are fine, I think they're rather good. I'm going to guess people are angry because they're not over-sharpened and lighted like every other game. The team went with another style, and pulled it off. Faces are well defined, textures are a somewhat modern resolution, and the guns look great. I've seen better, but for an MMORPG, they're very nice.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

•  

So far I have only quested in the starting towns, so that's where I am coming from here. Having said that, I personally find FEs quests refreshingly biased towards interesting mini stories that make sense in the setting. The priorities of the factions, trying to establish order or a sense of society or the value of the individual, often underly quests and this makes for excellent material that I find highly engaging and often humurous... and best of all, where do I fit in with all of this, where is my personal story going to go, what do I really believe is best for humanity in such a torn and damaged world? 

The quest lines in the starting towns are worth doing for the extra AP alone, but I find them worth doing to get to know the world better.

There are the occasional quests which ask you to kill 10 of these or collect 6 of those. There are crafting oriented quests which simply ask you to collect materials, which you sometimes I already have in your bags or you can buy from a merchant.

What I am really looking forward to is getting involved with the bankers, the riders (the remnants of the postal service) and some of the religous movements that abound via the various quest lines that you begin to get as you proceed beyond the starter towns. These are recognisable but fractured elements of the functioning world we are used to and I cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us.

I'm also excited about the You are dying quest line (5+)... arrgh, so much to do. :)

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661
    Originally posted by Strap

So far I have only quested in the starting towns, so that's where I am coming from here. Having said that, I personally find FEs quests refreshingly biased towards interesting mini stories that make sense in the setting. The priorities of the factions, trying to establish order or a sense of society or the value of the individual, often underly quests and this makes for excellent material that I find highly engaging and often humurous... and best of all, where do I fit in with all of this, where is my personal story going to go, what do I really believe is best for humanity in such a torn and damaged world? 

The quest lines in the starting towns are worth doing for the extra AP alone, but I find them worth doing to get to know the world better.

There are the occasional quests which ask you to kill 10 of these or collect 6 of those. There are crafting oriented quests which simply ask you to collect materials, which you sometimes I already have in your bags or you can buy from a merchant.

What I am really looking forward to is getting involved with the bankers, the riders (the remnants of the postal service) and some of the religous movements that abound via the various quest lines that you begin to get as you proceed beyond the starter towns. These are recognisable but fractured elements of the functioning world we are used to and I cant wait to see what the devs have in store for us.

I'm also excited about the You are dying quest line (5+)... arrgh, so much to do. :)

Along with The Bankers and The Riders, I really want to know more about The Cleaners. Are there really just a group of mercs, or more than that?

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

The problem I have with the story is the linearity of some of the missions. I'll complete one mission chain, then do another that references the old one, as if I just didn't kill the boss and he's still directing his minions to do his work, which then sends you to the chain which you had done already.

A lot of the stuff is very well written though, funny and smart, with a lot of references to pop culture. One is a family named 'Tupac', who are proud of their lineage of being named after one of  history's greatest poets.