Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ye-Olde Player just come back - Its looking good!

Just got back to SWG and as much as I never thought I'd hear myself say this, I think that for the first time ever, I now feel that the post NGE game is now better than pre-nge/pre-cu.

Sure, I still miss the skills based system, but the other additions to NGE now outweigh this.

I've come back a few times since NGE struck and nearly always left after a week or two. For some reason, this time, I'm playing continuously and playing the kind of hours I haven't played in an MMO for a long, long time. There seems to be so much to do. And even my brother who came back a few days after me with 3 lvl 90 chars commented that there was just too much to do.

I think I have found my new MMO 'home' for the next year or two :))

SOE may have a slow burn winner on their hands here - even the pop looks vastly improved. Lets hope they don't screw it up by under-investing (new functionality every chapter is good enough for me) or releasing another 'NGE' type episode.

Aias

Comments

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

nah

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Vargrr

There seems to be so much to do.

Like what?

• wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

Just got back to SWG and as much as I never thought I'd hear myself say this, I think that for the first time ever, I now feel that the post NGE game is now better than pre-nge/pre-cu.
    Sure, I still miss the skills based system, but the other additions to NGE now outweigh this.
    I've come back a few times since NGE struck and nearly always left after a week or two. For some reason, this time, I'm playing continuously and playing the kind of hours I haven't played in an MMO for a long, long time. There seems to be so much to do. And even my brother who came back a few days after me with 3 lvl 90 chars commented that there was just too much to do.
    SOE may have a slow burn winner on their hands here - even the pop looks vastly improved. Lets hope they don't screw it up by under-investing (new functionality every chapter is good enough for me) or releasing another 'NGE' type episode.
    Aias

Frankly, I feel the same way. I love SWG in its current state. Sure it has its flaws(some are pretty major too) but I love it now =)

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Aias

PSA time:

To anyone who reads the above post and thinks to themselves "hey, this guy likes it, I should buy this... "

I say this... try before you buy. www.tryswg.com

• VargrrVargrr Member Posts: 22

There's a lot of negative posts here, but I wonder how many people here have actually played it recently?

It has a lot more more depth than many current games out there and despite the loss of the original skills based system (which I liked a lot), the game can still be played almost in a sandbox manner.

Sure, you can't look for resources, craft and do combat with one toon like the old days, but pretty much everything else thag was there, is still there with more besides.

I seriously hated what SOE did to SWG when NGE was sprung, but at this point in time the game has finally got to a point where it is now as fun to play.

I guess there is still a lot of negativity toward this game, but compared with what is currently out there now, it is the game that most closely fits my play style.

As to ther person that questioned whether I was paying for it, the answer is that I am - and no it's not a Station Account before anyone brings up that old and tired argument.

At the end of the day there seems to be many other people that agree, because the pops look to me from the people I'm seeing to be at pre-NGE levels.

Vargrr

There's a lot of negative posts here, but I wonder how many people here have actually played it recently?
    It has a lot more more depth than many current games out there and despite the loss of the original skills based system (which I liked a lot), the game can still be played almost in a sandbox manner.
    Sure, you can't look for resources, craft and do combat with one toon like the old days, but pretty much everything else thag was there, is still there with more besides.
    I seriously hated what SOE did to SWG when NGE was sprung, but at this point in time the game has finally got to a point where it is now as fun to play.
    I guess there is still a lot of negativity toward this game, but compared with what is currently out there now, it is the game that most closely fits my play style.
    As to ther person that questioned whether I was paying for it, the answer is that I am - and no it's not a Station Account before anyone brings up that old and tired argument.
    At the end of the day there seems to be many other people that agree, because the pops look to me from the people I'm seeing to be at pre-NGE levels.
    Vargrr

I played recently and it's pretty bad. Just my opinion though, the whole collection system, was really f******g stupid. It's like a loot lottery.

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

The collection system is not a "loot lottery", if you want the collection you will get the same reward as anyone does. If you don't like collections just don't do them, it's not required gameplay.

Sith and Jedi Holocrons collections are not a loot lottery, gotcha.

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

How much time do you spend on those TPS reports?

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Can I play my old bio-engineer/creature handler? Sorry but until they add the classes back in that they cut out, it will never look good.

• wazaapwazaap Member UncommonPosts: 19

I actually have to agree. I just got back after beeing away since 2 weeks after NGE. Im actually having a lot of fun here. Lots of things to do and i still love the universe. Yes i do miss the old skill tree. It was great. But i still feel like im in the star wars universe. I think they have done a great job so far! I hope they can keep improving it, then im staying too!

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

PSA time again!

For those of you who are buying into these 'reviews', there's a free trial. Always try before you buy (especially with SWG)

www.tryswg.com

If you've already played SWG, you might even have some free vet trial time waiting for you. My advice, as someone who sees SWG as complete garbage, is if you don't believe me, try it for yourself. The product speaks for itself.

Nuff said.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

combat is still redicoules. Just moving your character feels like runing drunk.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I'm always intrigued when a new poster who claims to be a VET all of a sudden "discovers" the greatness of this game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BeyacoBeyaco Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by greed0104

Like what?

There is plenty of things to do. JTL, collections(can get some nice rewards), battlefields, heroics and a lot more side crap. Like build a jetpack or hunt flawless pearls...I miss pre-cu, but I think they finally have got a few things right. I just wish they added these things pre-cu...

• BeyacoBeyaco Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Murashu

Can I play my old bio-engineer/creature handler? Sorry but until they add the classes back in that they cut out, it will never look good.

Actually, you can be a CH/Bio. Go look into it. You can combine CH or BE with any profession now... Or, you can dump all your skill points into the CH tree and become a CH/BE! And to be honest, it is pretty interesting on how to create pets. If you want a good pet, you can expect to spend some time and credits or both!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

you ll get a war expension soon 

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417

I have to agree I went back re-subbed for a month just to see if some old friends where still knocking about and the  game is worse then it was in 2007 (from  a crafters point of view). They have made the munitions trader in to some kind of bastardised loot whore and to be fair the last time I was on  my server two years ago I actually began thinking this game might have a chance as the population looked healthy - comparable to what it was after the CU hit. However two years later it has really lost a lot of players it took me two days to find people on the server I play on i.e. more then just two afk characters in a city.

The actual combat in the NGE didn't bother me much as I never had time to do any PVP etc in the pre-cu as I was just crafting all the time. The only time I did any PVE was to gather hide with my ranger and level my jedi. The crafting how ever is ruined the, economy is ruined and for me the game is beyond repair now.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• riceae02riceae02 Member UncommonPosts: 180

Sooo, I've got a better idea. In order for me to judge you ppl's taste in gameplay why don't you list a few of the games you enjoy(ed) playing. From that I'll be able to tell if your taste matches mine and I can decide whether or not to give your review of SWG merit or not.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by riceae02

Sooo, I've got a better idea. In order for me to judge you ppl's taste in gameplay why don't you list a few of the games you enjoy(ed) playing. From that I'll be able to tell if your taste matches mine and I can decide whether or not to give your review of SWG merit or not.

Make up your own mind, do as Bob_Blawblaw says and try SWG.

Originally posted by Beyaco

Originally posted by greed0104

Like what?

There is plenty of things to do. JTL, collections(can get some nice rewards), battlefields, heroics and a lot more side crap. Like build a jetpack or hunt flawless pearls...I miss pre-cu, but I think they finally have got a few things right. I just wish they added these things pre-cu...

I'll give you space, even though it's not something I enjoy. But Battlefields, collections and heroics? I can't really say much about the battlefields besides restuss, It was much more fun brawling it out in mos eisley or theed, not standing on the side lines waiting for the enemy to leave or going to the buff house to get free buffs after every riskless death. Collections is just another sad gimmick. I don't want instances in my sandbox, thanks anyways. At least you didn't say "TCG".

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

you ll get a war expension soon 

Huh??? Do you mean the GCW Update?

If so, that's an Update, not an expansion. And PLEASE...keep your expectations of it well below where they are too. The Devs have already stated they're adding in MORE Static Bases (link and quote below)...that doesn't bode well for the Update IMO. Static bases are not what the GCW Update should be...if the Devs pursue that avenue, it will be another /fail update as it completely ignores what the community "wants" and simply adds in more of the same.

For the GCW update, we needed to reserve locations on some of the planets to put some static bases. These planets also support player housing and/or harvesters. In order to make sure we didn’t slap down some new GCW content inside someone’s city we first ran a database query to gather the locations of the player place-able objects on each planet across all the servers. This data was parsed and an image was created which overlays the planet. This allows designers to place no-build regions in locations where no player structures exist on any servers. This reserves the location for future world building needs. These new GCW no-build regions have already been pushed to the live servers. Some new stuff will be showing up in those regions when GCW goes live.

Hopefully this just reads poorly and this isn't what they're actually doing for the "GCW Update".