Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Play Aion Instead of EQ2?

That is the question I am asking myself today.   I've been playing Aion for about a week now.  Its a good game so far.

That said, I have played EQ2 on and off over the years.  It is a very polished game at this point with loads of content.  I've played on the PvP server.

With the exception of flying, I don't see a huge difference between the game play in Aion and EQ2.  Granted, Aion is faster - you are always moving.  But EQ2 is quite deep.  The spell options and character advancement options in EQ2 are enormous.  Both have great graphics (EQ2 graphics are very good).

I will keep playing Aion for at least a month or 2.  Anyone else played both games?  Thoughts?

Comments

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

Aion is a new game, and that being said its been highly anticipated and for people to go back to EverQuest over Aion is quite unlikely, alot of people are subbing due to the visuals and flight orientated gameplay

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

If you like more of a pve experience play EQ2 if you like more of a pvp experience play Aion.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by nonjonron

That is the question I am asking myself today.   I've been playing Aion for about a week now.  Its a good game so far.
    That said, I have played EQ2 on and off over the years.  It is a very polished game at this point with loads of content.  I've played on the PvP server.
    With the exception of flying, I don't see a huge difference between the game play in Aion and EQ2.  Granted, Aion is faster - you are always moving.  But EQ2 is quite deep.  The spell options and character advancement options in EQ2 are enormous.  Both have great graphics (EQ2 graphics are very good).
    I will keep playing Aion for at least a month or 2.  Anyone else played both games?  Thoughts?

It seems that some people have the misconception that Aion is a PVP game. It's not

Aion is a game that puts a heavy focus on both PVE and PVP and the game is designed as such. Everquest 2 on the other hand, PVP is just an afterthought.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Though I miss my shadowknight in EQ 2, I just can't stand the game and the world. Nectulos forest is the most fake feeling forest I've had the displeasure of playing through. And it's rife with cutseyness.

Rather play Vanguard. Which I am.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Gameloading

It seems that some people have the misconception that Aion is a PVP game. It's not

Aion is a game that puts a heavy focus on both PVE and PVP and the game is designed as such. Everquest 2 on the other hand, PVP is just an afterthought.

Any game with forced pvp is a pvp game.

If you want to relax and not have to deal with pvpers play EQ2, Aion doesn't have a  non pvp server since the whole game revolves around a pvp area and ladder system (again proving its a pvp focused game).

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i  ve been asking myself the same ?

i love eq2 because the graphic are insane,yes some dont like the gothic feel but 

i love everquest 2 more the aion

true nobody have yet saw aion pvpve in high keep ,im very hesitant ,i will probably go back to eq2

Originally posted by metalhead980

If you want to relax and not have to deal with pvpers play EQ2, Aion doesn't have a  non pvp server since the whole game revolves around a pvp area and ladder system (again proving its a pvp focused game).

A pvp game is where the primary objective is player vs player confrontation. That's games like Darkfall and Warhammer, where the PVE is just an afterthought.

Aion isn't a PVP game in the sense that is its primary focus.

A pvp game is where the primary objective is player vs player confrontation. That's games like Darkfall and Warhammer, where the PVE is just an afterthought.

uh huh.....

So In Aion I could get the best shit and never deal with rifts, the pvp areas or the ladder system? also I wont be ganked after level twenty doing pve quests if I hate pvp?

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

Dont lie to the poor guy, you want him to waste 50 bucks to find out he could be ganked at anytime while innocently leveling in a questing area?

uh huh.....

So In Aion I could get the best shit and never deal with rifts, the pvp areas or the ladder system? also I wont be ganked after level twenty doing pve quests if I hate pvp?

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

Dont lie to the poor guy, you want him to waste 50 bucks to find out he could be ganked at anytime while innocently leveling in a questing area?

I'm not lying at all, you're pretending as if Aion's primary focus is PVP hence you said EQ2 for PVE, Aion for PVP.

Aion is a game that is designed for both pvp and pve play from the ground up. A correct describtion would be EQ2 for PVE, Aion for PVE and PVP.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

Saying Aion isn't a PvP games makes me think that you are somewhat special....  

EQ2 pvp is pretty lame and Aion is heavily focused on PvP so if you're looking for that go with Aion.  If you're looking for interesting raid encounters in your end-game go with EQ2.

If you want just an all around better game try FE.

uh huh.....

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

I'm not lying at all, you're pretending as if Aion's primary focus is PVP hence you said EQ2 for PVE, Aion for PVP.

Aion is a game that is designed for both pvp and pve play from the ground up. A correct describtion would be EQ2 for PVE, Aion for PVE and PVP.

have you ever been neutral in everquest2 ,i suggest you try then come back saying it isnt a pvp game lol

same with aion unless your goal is stay in low level area you will pvp a lot

Originally posted by drbaltazar

uh huh.....

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

have you ever been neutral in everquest2 ,i suggest you try then come back saying it isnt a pvp game lol

same with aion unless your goal is stay in low level area you will pvp a lot

Everquest 2 was not designed with pvp in mind, it's always been a PVE game with PVP tacked on it. Saying Everquest 2 is a pvp game is just as silly as saying Lotro is a PVP game. Just because a game features pvp doesn't mean that is a primary focus.

uh huh.....

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

THe main focus in Aion is The world pvp through the dedicated zones and Rifts that open up anywhere so the other faction can gank the shit out of questers. Also the game has something called Pvpve basically dungeons that are contested and are forced pvp.

I don't see how anyone could consider Aion a PVE game at all. Pvp is in everything, this isn;t a bad thing but if you want a total pve experience without pvp interfering you would be better off playing EQ2.

I know it's hard for you being a Aion player and all to sway anyone toward another game but seriously Aions is anything but a focused pve game.

uh huh.....

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

THe main focus in Aion is The world pvp through the dedicated zones and Rifts that open up anywhere so the other faction can gank the shit out of questers. Also the game has something called Pvpve basically dungeons that are contested and are forced pvp.

I don't see how anyone could consider Aion a PVE game at all. Pvp is in everything, this isn;t a bad thing but if you want a total pve experience without pvp interfering you would be better off playing EQ2.

I know it's hard for you being a Aion player and all to sway anyone toward another game but seriously Aions is anything but a focused pve game.

Aion's focus is not exclusively on PVP play. Yeah it must be really hard for you to grasp that a game can spend just as much effort on PVE as it does on PVP, right?

I very much agree that EQ2 is a total pve experience with pvp intervention BUT, that doesn't make Aion a PVP exclusive focused game. Having a PVP aspect in a game does NOT mean that it suddenly becomes the only focus of the game.

You got to love people who actually convinced themselves a game can only be a PVP or a PVE game and not both. It just goes to show how little knowledge some posters have of this genre.

yep eq2 is a beeter place for pve ,rp player ,lot of adult and couple play eq2

You got to love people who actually convinced themselves a game can only be a PVP or a PVE game and not both.

If someone told you that they hated pvp and loved pve would you point them to Aion knowing of Aions forced pvp?

Of course not.

• StikatoStikato Member Posts: 55

PvP =)

Ofcourse I care enough to quote and respond to the guy, it's not that difficult to do. You're acting as if it takes an enormous amount of effort to respond to a post.

*mod edit*

Would I tell a person who hates pvp to go play Aion? Ofcourse not, because PVP is a big part of the experience. But I wouldn't send a person who is looking for a PVP game to Aion either. The people I would send to a game like Aion are people who are looking for a game that offers both PVE and PVP gameplay.

No one hates anyone take a break you've been posting five years straight without a break.

Edit: had to edit before a mod warned me.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

He's got a point, you are kinda becoming the Zorndorf of Aion.

To say that a game is built for both PvE and PvP implies that the player can experience them separately. Now, I haven't played Aion to high levels yet, so I'll ask the question .. can I PvE at high levels and never have to be subjected to PvP?

If the answer is yes, then you're right .. it's a PvE and PvP game.

If the answer is no, then you're wrong .. it's not a PvE game; it's PvPvE.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • thaniththanith Member Posts: 144

agreed 100%, but as this guy insists on having the last word in EVERY thread in EVERY forum we will get him gone by not posting further *rofl*

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

uh huh.....

Yeah I thought so.

Aion = a Pvp game.

If you can't be ganked or PvP from the start then it's not a pvp title, it'a just an MMO with both PvE and PvP entertwined. That's why they market the game featured as PvPvE, and not PvP.

Oh I see so the eight hours of gameplay that it takes to level to 20 in a pve only area makes the game a pve game? yeah ok.

I would call that a tutorial or a newb area. Hit level 20 and run into a rift and see if you consider Aion a pve game at all lol.

Actually I'm nowhere near Zorndorf.

Zorndorf is constantly repeating how every game besides WoW sucks and will fail. I don't do that, I'm merely correcting many inaccurate claims about Aion.

The term PVPVE is a new term invented by NCsoft to describe the aspect of the Balaur being a seperate faction that reacts to the pvp aspect of the game. it's not meant to describe that a game has both pvp and pve, just that the two are connected to each other.

If PVP is a part of the game does not mean that game suddenly becomes a pvp exclusive focused game when just as much effort and time is spend on the PVE part of the game. Games like Darkfall where the game is clearly designed from the ground up for pvp game and where PVE takes a backseat, that's a pvp focused game.

Also to metalhead:

I really love people who complain another person is going back and forth. What do you think you're doing right now sherlock? It takes two to have a discussion.

I think it's rather funny you pretend i take this all seriously because i have a high post count. You see, this website has been online for quite a few years now and you know, your post count tends to increase when you post on a forum for such a long time. Ofcourse the fact I don't spend my time killing other peoples eyes by making all of my posts baby blue helps as well.

Also, about the part you quoted in red, please tell me you understood that was satire?