Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: New Exclusive Screenshots

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The team from Cryptic Studios has provided us with these four new, exclusive screenshots.

Check out all four new shots here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79

I don't think these are the official site yet. Nice, after testing CO with Cryptic I am a little skeptical, but I keep my fingers crossed that this will be a good game.

• loyaltrekieloyaltrekie Member Posts: 105

The space shots are all pretty nice to look at, with the exception that there are too many asteroids in every single screenshot.

The ground stuff looks absolutely atrocious though.

• JangocatJangocat Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by loyaltrekie

The space shots are all pretty nice to look at, with the exception that there are too many asteroids in every single screenshot.

I was about to post the exact same comments! The avatars or NPC humans in that screenshot look like graphics from 5 years ago, disappointing....

• Cpt.StubbingCpt.Stubbing Member Posts: 269

After seeing some of that gameplay it makes me feel a lot better, still praying tho.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Jangocat
    I was about to post the exact same comments! The avatars or NPC humans in that screenshot look like graphics from 5 years ago, disappointing....

You must think TOR looks at least 7 years old, then, because as dated as this looks, it looks at least two years better than that.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

It should be noted that the ship in the first screenshot is Cheyenne class and was only seen briefly onscreen as a destroyed ship in the famous "starship graveyard" scene in TNG's Best of Both Worlds part 2.
    It's very neat that they have included such an obscure ship in the game.
    For more information on the Cheyenne class, see:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/cheyenne.htm

• InstamaticInstamatic Member UncommonPosts: 58

Nice information Xondar.

For the posts about the asteroids, I'm betting it'll be one of those "background" items that you can increase/decrease with a slider bar in the visual options menu.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by loyaltrekie

I agree for the most part. I don't think it's the entire ground stuff that looks so bad though. I think it's the avatars themselves. They just seem to be...paper dollish? It's hard to describe. It just seems they have something missing. The ships seem to have more spirit to them than the character avatars for sure.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

im starting to prefer the look of Star trek online over star wars:tor

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Blackstaff42Blackstaff42 Member Posts: 17

Personally these are some really good shots. The Klingon ships look really cool. Looking forward to getting my hands on that game.

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

I think it looks pretty good,besides if the gameplay is sound I could care less what it looks like.

• PedrobPedrob Member UncommonPosts: 172

For a MMO, it has great graphics in space and on land, given there are better graphics out there in other genres, but MMO wise, I believe (could be wrong) that AoC is the only MMO with heavy duty graphics but they failed at the playability and "fun" department. I'm willing to take a hit in the graphics department for playabiloty and fun.

Also considering that the game isn't officially even in beta, gives a lot of time for more polishing.

I will agree that we need more screenies with less asteroids and more novas, nebulas, stars, or fighting the Crystal Entity (still wondering if they added that as an event :) )

• Evolution8Evolution8 Member Posts: 128

Just remember if you see detect a bird of prey it's prob too late :)

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Fingers crossed that I get in the beta

Oh wait!  I have a lifetime sub to champions

[Changes chat to]  Please make Cardassians playable race.....

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by chriswsm

Oh wait!  I have a lifetime sub to champions
    [Changes chat to]  Please make Cardassians playable race.....

if not you can just make them :D

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• niomolireniomolire Member Posts: 5

awwwsssoommeeeee. i wish this game was out... :(

• MrVoltMrVolt Member Posts: 11

It's looking real nice . I like this approach they did, everything looks interesting and vibrant compared to EVE-online which has a more dark and sober look.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

im starting to prefer the look of Star trek online over star wars:tor

Based on the looks: definitely!

I wish TOR would end this ridiculous "stylized realsim" bollocks. These shots are way better. Still wonder a lot about gameplay of STO, tho.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Neither TOR nor STO are visually doing anything special, but I think both are fine for what they are. If they don't detract from the game (low fps), and they look at least as good as they do in the screens when released, I'm okay with either I guess.

Originally, I hated the graphics, but I've come to accept them. I'd prefer clean, like I'm seeing here, to crappy "realistic" graphics.

so...

• ZoberrazZoberraz Member Posts: 6

I love how they've depicted the Cheyenne in Star Trek Online (the ship shown on the upper right).

There's this variant I'm really eager to play of that ship which initially appeared in the GamesCon trailer (it's the four-nacelled ship we see at the very end destroying a Borg vessel). Curse.com released new pictures of that particular ship recently.