Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Evidence of Microtransactions in ToS?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Some of the gumshoes in the Star Wars: The Old Republic community have dug up some interesting language in the Terms of Service agreement included with the application of the recently announced Game Testing program. The language present in the agreement may allude to the existence of an in-game shop aka microtransactions in The Old Republic.

Sections H-K of the Game Testing Terms & Conditions are the particularly curious sections of the agreement, making mention of "points" and a "Game store".

A screen cap of the aforementioned section of the agreement can be viewed below:

Section H states that "all points acquired during the Game program are non-refundable and have no monetary value".

In Section K, you'll find the agreement pretty explicitly mentions a "Game store".

Of course, BioWare has not officially announced anything along these lines, so while this evidence is certainly convincing it is by no means a direct confirmation that The Old Republic will indeed make use of microtransactions.

Via DarthHater.

Handled responsibly would you be willing to play Star Wars: The Old Republic with the inclusion of microtransactions, either as the sole method of payment or as a supplement/alternative to a paid subscription option? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Shit.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by MikeB

Some of the gumshoes in the Star Wars: The Old Republic community have dug up some interesting language in the Terms of Service agreement included with the application of the recently announced Game Testing program. The language present in the agreement may allude to the existence of an in-game shop aka microtransactions in The Old Republic.
    Sections H-K of the Game Testing Terms & Conditions are the particularly curious sections of the agreement, making mention of "points" and a "Game store".
    A screen cap of the aforementioned section of the agreement can be viewed below:

Section H states that "all points acquired during the Game program are non-refundable and have no monetary value".
    In Section K, you'll find the agreement mentions a "Game store" which would appear to be pretty explicit.
    Of course, BioWare has not officially announced anything along these lines, so while this evidence is certainly convincing it is by no means a direct confirmation that The Old Republic will indeed make use of microtransactions.
    Via DarthHater.
    Handled responsibly would you be willing to play Star Wars: The Old Republic with the inclusion of microtransactions, either as the sole method of payment or as a supplement/alternative to a paid subscription option? Let us know in the comments below!

If this game was F2P with microtransactions, and $40 to get the game, that would be awesome

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

I went to the dentist the other day. They cleaned my teeth and then offered a variety of extra services. I think if the extra services aren't part of the core game (ie, removing details and then selling then to you later) then I'm all for it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

MT can be in the game or points awarded for purchasing other items in game and it will not bother me.

I WOULD NOT prefer for MT to be the only opttion for game play....

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by neoterrar

I went to the dentist the other day. They cleaned my teeth and then offered a variety of extra services. I think if the extra services aren't part of the core game (ie, removing details and then selling then to you later) then I'm all for it.

Kind of like how SoE is doing it? I agree that it is a great idea but SoE has been flamed a critsized for doing this.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

if the points are used for fluff stuff like pets or hair color or whatever stupide shit, i could care less.

They make it for items that augment in-game skills and change the experience i'm gonna be pissed

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

It's too bad people will read the first post, and ignore everything else. They will close their eyes, cover their ears, and start screaming they hate MTs without any further knowledge of what TOR is doing.

I'll be playing the game unless the MTs are "Buy this armor, buy this weapon, buy this +10 skill points". But I trust Bioware.

• donjuanamigodonjuanamigo Member Posts: 256

i dont care what the hell they do. thats why i have a job and i can afford to pay for the game and the monthly subscription. i am wasting my time in other mmos waiting for this beast  to come out.

Oh, I stole your post and put it on the TOR forums.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

No one knows what these points are they speak of, could mean anything. Either way I could care less. RMT didn't bother me in GW, it won't bother me in GW2 or TOR. I don't care If they charge less or nothing at all per month, the only thing that maters is is it fun to play? At least you only spent money on a box to find out you hate it after 3 months xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Swoogie

Kind of like how SoE is doing it? I agree that it is a great idea but SoE has been flamed a critsized for doing this.

Yea and I think if they do it that way it will be great.  Either following the SoE trend of extra fluff stuff being what is available in the game store, or following the GW model for it as well.  Either of those MT based systems I think would work fine with in the TOR system.  However, if they follow a more Asian market strategy, where you have to have the MT stuff to be able to play, then I think that is bad.  'Yes you can be a Jedi, but to get a lightsaber you have to pay $20, no get a starship you have to pay $40, etc' I think that is a bad system.

I don't mind the MTs as long as I am not forced to invest in them in order to play.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Swanea

Rut roh.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I think more companies are willing to try different business models out now. If they do it like DDO's new set up (paying for convenience items and some adventure areas), then that isn't half bad.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

As long as items that effect pvp gameplay aren't being sold then I'm fine with it.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

They have allready stated the game WILL have micro transactions and the items bought can be found in game. so this is not news.

• benmou13benmou13 Member Posts: 89

aslong as its strictly appearance based i dont mind anything thats adds more xp or gives you leet weapons is a deal breaker

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by aleos

They have allready stated the game WILL have micro transactions and the items bought can be found in game. so this is not news.

Source?

Originally posted by MikeB

Rut roh.

No replys yet.

And there was someone working for EA? said it might have MTs a LONG time ago, and than it was refuted. They said that they were unsure what type of system they would use.  It had not been officially confirmed.

This is news.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by benmou13

aslong as its strictly appearance based i dont mind anything thats adds more xp or gives you leet weapons is a deal breaker

To be honest I'm not cool with any RMT items that affects appearance either. To me that's a game breaker. This is one of the main reasons I refuse to play CO. Generic items like xp boosts and skills (skills that are still obtainable in game) are fine. But as far as appearance and equipment go, that might actually push me away from it. I feel that when appearance items start to appear in the RMT system that becomes the main idea for content updates in that certain area (meaning you will rarely see it added as world drops etc), and that's something I don't want.

I'll wait it out, see what they say. There is already a thread on the SWTOR boards about what form of payment method people wan't there is not mention of RMT, so this could be false. Right now 81% of the votes are wanting P2P monthly. Nothing else.

swtor.com/community/showthread.php

Edited for clarity.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by aleos

LA debunked that, it was on Kotaku a few months ago. They claimed it as a rumor but neve denied it either, but it remains still just that a rumor.

A store that allows you to get skills/xp boosts/items/weapons with money that others would spend hours and hours getting otherwise would push me away much quicker.

Looking different with races/items that give no bonuses, I think, are perfect for any game.

Of course, this could, again, be points used in server transfers, extra slots, race changes sort of thing. AoC uses points you buy to do all of this.

oh and a few people responded on the TOR forums, so it might assplode soon.

Wow. They closed my thread, and created a "poll" about how you want to pay....

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Wow. They closed my thread, and created a "poll" about how you want to pay....

Yep, and you pointed out that they had all options for vote, maybe that says something.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127

IMO i could care less if they have MT, just as long as they are not game changing. I will be playing this either way tho. lol