Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini-review and grouping rant

Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

So I pre-ordered this game, jumped in, and was having a blast. The setting was new and the game seemed to let you take your character any way you wanted. I soon realised that it really doesn't.

The game is quest based...like 98% of most MMOs released lately. If you plan on leveling, you are going to be running quests to level up. There is no sense of freedom when you HAVE to run these quests to level up. This means that pure crafters, while they can level by crafting, will take much much longer than someone questing.

95% of these quests are also soloable.  There is no purpose to group up with Joe Blow and Fancy Nancy because they can just as easily complete any quest on their own. I came into this game hoping I would be joining full groups and running missions ala SWG, but I was horribly wrong. It is just a bunch of hobo's running around town to town doing their own thing with no need for social interaction. This makes those who want to play support roles or healers pretty much useless unless you PvP, or maybe until much later levels.

Why is it so hard for MMOs that come out to cater to both the crowd who WANTS to group and the crowd to wants to solo? How hard would it have been to insert a mission system that allows groups to go out and raid warehouses or hunt groups of mutants or mutated animals roaming the wasteland? Now I haven't played past S1 but I haven't heard of any such systems in S2+. Also, if they were, why are they not implemented in S1? Do devs these days think grouping and/or raiding is only for max-leveled players? 

/rant off

Comments

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Jagsman32

So I pre-ordered this game, jumped in, and was having a blast. The setting was new and the game seemed to let you take your character any way you wanted. I soon realised that it really doesn't.
    The game is quest based...like 98% of most MMOs released lately. If you plan on leveling, you are going to be running quests to level up. There is no sense of freedom when you HAVE to run these quests to level up. This means that pure crafters, while they can level by crafting, will take much much longer than someone questing.
    95% of these quests are also soloable.  There is no purpose to group up with Joe Blow and Fancy Nancy because they can just as easily complete any quest on their own. I came into this game hoping I would be joining full groups and running missions ala SWG, but I was horribly wrong. It is just a bunch of hobo's running around town to town doing their own thing with no need for social interaction. This makes those who want to play support roles or healers pretty much useless unless you PvP, or maybe until much later levels.
    Why is it so hard for MMOs that come out to cater to both the crowd who WANTS to group and the crowd to wants to solo? How hard would it have been to insert a mission system that allows groups to go out and raid warehouses or hunt groups of mutants or mutated animals roaming the wasteland? Now I haven't played past S1 but I haven't heard of any such systems in S2+. Also, if they were, why are they not implemented in S1? Do devs these days think grouping and/or raiding is only for max-leveled players? 
    /rant off

The system is in there for grouping or soloing. My question is why you're ranting for something that is totally voluntary? You're complaining that quests are soloable while totally disregarding that you can group if you want to. Your argument is that you want more quests that /require/ grouping, invalidating your argument about serving both sides, because at this point it does serve both sides, you're just too lazy to look for a group and form it around social aspects rather than quest difficulty aspects.

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

/rant off

This is wrong. Toro Bend is a town with 95% grouping quests. Even 7 levels above the mob boss you cannot solo them.

much beyond this level diff and they arent worthwhile unless Ap is invoved. Which most arent.

Ya need to get levels and move up north before you rant like this.

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

Why would I purposly handicap myself grouping when soloing is way more efficiant? I don't want forced grouping. Let those who want to spend all day running quests run quests. I just a system that, yes, requires grouping. I can spend all day making groups, but it comes down to the fact that grouping is much much less effeciant than soloing. If there were terminals that gave out missions that required a group to complete, those who wanted to group would join them. If they didn't want to group, they could continue questing.

And in my opinion this would be perfect of Fallen Earth in the fact that since most weapons/armor are craftable, those who solo quests aren't gaining better items than those who run groups all day.

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

I can see your point a little. I did like SWG mission terminals, as it made for easy teams. Just let poeple know your forming a terminal team, and you took a PUG out to kill some spawned lairs. I always found it a fun way to grind in SWG. I can see something like this being beneficial to this game. Just missions that random spawn some mobs that you can rinse and repeat.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

The game is quest based...

No its not. Quests are there as an optional way to level. There is no one way to do so. But every scussfull action in game grants XP.
    Quests are just one way.
    As far as grouping, i seriously do not think you have even scratched the surface of this game, as there are full blow dungeons that do require groups to survive.

Now I haven't played past S1

OH! I see, your the type to condemn something with out having full knowledge of what you are talking about, however you will call names, proclaim doom, and insuilt. Awesome.

This seems to be the new form of question asking, is to kick, scream accuse and be a brat instead of simply asking a question like a human.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

No its not. Quests are there as an optional way to level. There is no one way to do so. But every scussfull action in game grants XP.

Quests are just one way.

As far as grouping, i seriously do not think you have even scratched the surface of this game, as there are full blow dungeons that do require groups to survive.

OH! I see, your the type to condemn something with out having full knowledge of what you are talking about, however you will call names, proclaim doom, and insuilt. Awesome.

This seems to be the new form of question asking, is to kick, scream accuse and be a brat instead of simply asking a question like a human.

And you must be the type to judge people off of a couple posts on a message board. Pretty shallow, isn't it?

I am not the type who wants to put 40+ hours into a game before I get to the meat and potatoes of a game. I am not going to wait till I am lvl20 or 30 before I get some real grouping action. I am asking why is it so difficult to give all the level ranges, early and late, grouping content? There are claims of grouping content later on in the game. Why must I wait till later on in the game to get some social interaction with my fellow players? I don't want or need a single-player tutorial. I want to be able to group up with people right out of the gate and for this group be efficient.

Playing Everquest I could create a character in Greater Faydark and start grouping at lvl3 at Orc Hill. In Ultima Online I could run up to the graveyard outside of Britannia and start adventuring with people right there. Dark Ages of Camelot allowed me to jump into RvR with my fellow warriors at lvl5 and even capture keeps.

Is it really that difficult to give the game a little social interaction? Some form of teamwork?

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Quests are just one way.

And you must be the type to judge people off of a couple posts on a message board. Pretty shallow, isn't it?

I am not the type who wants to put 40+ hours into a game before I get to the meat and potatoes of a game. I am not going to wait till I am lvl20 or 30 before I get some real grouping action. I am asking why is it so difficult to give all the level ranges, early and late, grouping content? There are claims of grouping content later on in the game. Why must I wait till later on in the game to get some social interaction with my fellow players? I don't want or need a single-player tutorial. I want to be able to group up with people right out of the gate and for this group be efficient.

Playing Everquest I could create a character in Greater Faydark and start grouping at lvl3 at Orc Hill. In Ultima Online I could run up to the graveyard outside of Britannia and start adventuring with people right there. Dark Ages of Camelot allowed me to jump into RvR with my fellow warriors at lvl5 and even capture keeps.

Is it really that difficult to give the game a little social interaction? Some form of teamwork?

I feel ya, man. Seems like nobody cares about that shit anymore. Its all about levels and gear and stats. And it's not worth doing if you dont get some shiny pixels to show off to everyone else. I'm surprises so many people pay $10-15 to play an inferior single-player game.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684

I think the general consesus is that you can group, but you choose not to. I know from reading and listening to people talk about this game; that it's not easy. It seems grouping is essential in some parts of the game while other times optional.

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

Quests are just one way.

You complain of lack of social interaction...yet really, social interaction must first come from the player. How is it being soloable stopping you from grouping? I mean, go up to someone, say hey, can ya help me here? i had the most fun playing with a good friend of mine. We teamed and we split tasks. I drew the aggro, she mopped em up, I moved on as she looted.

It made it fun. You want FORCED social interactivity. That hurts the social aspect of a game, imo. The more you force people to work together, the more you force people to dislike it. Strange, how that works. You want to be social, go talk to someone! Really, what is stopping you beside your own half baked, barely standing excuses?

TALK TO SOMEONE!  Be social, ya don't need a game developer to TELL you to do it. If so, go play a themepark. It will tell you how to play the game.

• blakavarblakavar Member Posts: 304

Well there is group content its just circumvented. It's partly the games fault maybe 30% but its very much so the players fault.

Mirebite in Boneclaw is set to be a group fight and further into the dungeoun as well. Designed for a full group of level1-4's to go through. People dont do it though.

They just move on to Clinton farm and grab all the quests there. Then come back at level 6 or 7 and go after Mirebite.

Thats hardly FE's fault though, all MMO's are like that now. DAOC was the last MMO I remember that people actively looked for Pub groups outside of raids.

I'd suggest joining a guild, that seems to be the best way to always have a ready and willing group. The FE guilds are all openly recruiting.

I agree on the pvp they should have the factions open at lower levels, not the free for all pvp they have before 15.

I have talked to others. Unfortunately, everyone is doing their own thing, playing their own game. They don't have time to talk, they HAVE to go scavange that node or they HAVE to finish that quest.

I have grouped in this game. I did Junk Fortress with a couple other people. However, after everyone split from the group without a word after they got their quest finished,I ran Junk Fortress again solo, and there was no change in difficulty. It was just as easy.

Yeah I can join a guild, but why must I have to be in a guild to find a group? What happened to the days when people ENJOYED grouping just to form a party and adventure together? Once you take away the advantage of grouping, or take away the need for grouping, people won't group. They will just run every quest they can by their lonesom self or with a guildmate because there is no real need to form a collective party aiming towards the same goal.

And it is a simple fix. Look at SWGs mission terminals. People who have never talked before in the game joined together and ran missions, and because it wasn't a "finish this quest and move on to the next" type system, players hung around, chatted, and XPed.