Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call: 10th Anniversary Plans

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Turbine is planning an update to Asheron's Call to mark the game's upcoming 10th anniversary, and has recently been releasing bits and pieces of information on what players can expect from the update. We've got details below!

As part the 10th anniversary update players can expect a slew of new augmentations to be made available, with a few examples available below:

~ Infused War Magic

By mastering the art of War Magic you become infused with it. You no longer need any Foci or component to cast War Magic spells, though you still require scarabs and tapers.

~ Infused Life Magic

By mastering the art of Life Magic you become infused with it. You no longer need any Foci or component to cast Life Magic spells, though you still require scarabs and tapers.

~ Infused Item Magic

By mastering the art of Item Magic you become infused with it. You no longer need any Foci or component to cast Item Magic spells, though you still require scarabs and tapers.

A new item slot called the trinket slot, and trinkets will also be introduced with the update. Trinkets will drop off creatures and naturally go into the trinket slot, endowing their users with magical enchantments.

Tying into the aforementioned trinket loot is the new gearcrafting skill, which will allow players to imbue trinkets with a variety of enchantments. The trinkets can be imbued up to the three times, with one major, one moderate, and one minor imbue. These imbues will grant the trinket spells that give a "variety of effects". And the final bit of info, at least for now, is news that the Temple of Forgetfulness and Temple of Enlightenment will see their timers reset in anticipation of the upcoming changes.

Details on all the changes listed above, and likely any further developments can be found at this thread on the official Asheron's Call forums. Alternatively, you can track the developer posts for easier digging.

A teaser video for the 10th Anniversary update is also available for viewing here.

Are you still playing Asheron's Call? If so, what has kept you playing all these years? Let us know in the comments below!

Comments

• AlienShoresAlienShores Member UncommonPosts: 79

*sniffle*  Oh AC... you were my first and I'll never forget you.

Man I had some great times in Asheron's Call.  As I'm sure most of you can relate to no game ever feels quite the same as your first MMORPG.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

This is wonderful news for the 3 people that still play this game. Bash over. I wish that some of the new games had this much detail in them.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• rpgamer13rpgamer13 Member UncommonPosts: 73

miss it so much i have 6 pics in my van. been planning on getting a tatoo of an olthoi  for 2 yrs now.

i'm begging turbine to go free to play. with some kind of cash store to make cash. like want to own a house pay $25 for a yr. and mansion $100 for a yr. apartment $10 a yr.  extra  chest storage space X $   , extra portal ties X $  

many idea. just if it did gor F2P i'd be back in a heart beat. played a few weeks last april missed it. but just to low in popualation to be fun.

DDO went free to play this month and look at it's popualtion . tripled.  folks love the store too

would love to see AC3 . being the exact same as AC1 but with full graphic updates to todays stanards

• Padre-AdamoPadre-Adamo Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Bruise187

This is wonderful news for the 3 people that still play this game. Bash over. I wish that some of the new games had this much detail in them.

There's alot more than you think that still play AC. Don't throw out stupid numbers to bash a game that's been around for 10 years. Clearly, there's plenty of people around to warrant Turbine keeping the game up and running. On a side-note, yes it would be nice if any new game coming up picked up where AC left off... although it does seem some are finally starting to leave the "class" system behind.

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

Ive never played it but Im going to check it out soon!

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by AlienShores

*sniffle*  Oh AC... you were my first and I'll never forget you.
    Man I had some great times in Asheron's Call.  As I'm sure most of you can relate to no game ever feels quite the same as your first MMORPG.

AC1 was still the most fun I ever had in an MMORPG. Which is partly do to the fact it was my first one.

• UsedManateeUsedManatee Member Posts: 161

I've never played AC, but it seems to have made quite an impression on a lot of people.  For those still playing, what is your server population like?  (e.g., how does it feel - i don't think trying to give numbers can actually be accurate unless the game gives you a full world /who list).

How dare you present him with logic! Don't you understand? He fights epic fights, in epic games, with epic toons....eats epic food and takes epic dumps! He has more e..pic..icity...ness in his little finger than you have in your whole unepic body! - ChicagoCub

• HideyHidey Member UncommonPosts: 19

Wouldn't it be cool if you could somehow have a Ac1, EQ, and UO reunion all on the same server.

“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world”
    C.S. Lewis

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

I'd be playing AC now if it were vista friendly.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by MikeB

Are you still playing Asheron's Call? If so, what has kept you playing all these years? Let us know in the comments below!

I just canceled my accounts last month. The thing that finally got me to cancel was the house maintenance. I play maybe once a month at most, but it was worth the ten bucks or so for the four or five hours I played. It was just annoying that it was the only game where when I was traveling I had to worry about losing stuff in the game if I couldn't log in. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • GreyedGreyed Member UncommonPosts: 137

Do I still play AC1? Nope. Do I still compare portions of modern MMOs to AC1 and find them lacking? All the time. Tubine hit a home run with that game and I, too, would love to see an AC3 which follows in the same vein of AC1 but incorporates both graphic improvements to modern day standards as well as updates of common MMO systems as well as pretty much anything else they have in they "Wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?" file. ;)

Not just another pretty color.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Padre-Adamo

Originally posted by Bruise187

There's alot more than you think that still play AC. Don't throw out stupid numbers to bash a game that's been around for 10 years. Clearly, there's plenty of people around to warrant Turbine keeping the game up and running. On a side-note, yes it would be nice if any new game coming up picked up where AC left off... although it does seem some are finally starting to leave the "class" system behind.

Whooops, did I say three? Four counting you now. Guess my numbers are closer now. I did say it was a great game though.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Happy 10th AC.  In my book one of the best MMO ever made.   Still hope to see a similar game being released one day, nothing beats a solid sandbox mmo like that, add monthly update and you have a winner.

• YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

Definitely one of the best, good to see there is some love for it around...

/agree on AC3 nod...though I never did try AC2 <_< (heard baaad things)

• GenesiGenesi Member UncommonPosts: 6

AC was not my first MMO by any means, however, it is, and always will be, my favorite. No other MMO has come close to the way AC sucked me in. AC was/is so far above the other MMOs these days. I will be trying the 14 day trial in the coming weeks and paying for at least a month to try the new 10 year anniv. content/updates. Should be interesting.

- Dave

• neo750aneo750a Member Posts: 75

i swear to god, they need to tone down the max lvl to 100 and cap skill gains around at lvl as well, and make a dam new server!  if there was a new pvp server, or did a reset, i'd be there in a heart beat.

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

AC was my first MMO and no other has really come close since then. I'd love to be back playing it, but having exhausted 2 free trials without being able to even get through the update screen, it appears you need to be some sort of networking genius to play it now.

I'd be back playing in a heartbeat if i could, but I think more realistically I'll remember it fondly and wait for Mortal Online to come out, which looks like it'll be fairly close in scope, variety and non-theme-park-ness.

Anyone out there in the UK using a BT Home Hub manged to connect to it? (got to try!)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by rpgamer13

i'm begging turbine to go free to play. with some kind of cash store to make cash. like want to own a house pay $25 for a yr. and mansion $100 for a yr. apartment $10 a yr.  extra  chest storage space X $   , extra portal ties X $  
    many idea. just if it did gor F2P i'd be back in a heart beat. played a few weeks last april missed it. but just to low in popualation to be fun.
    DDO went free to play this month and look at it's popualtion . tripled.  folks love the store too
    would love to see AC3 . being the exact same as AC1 but with full graphic updates to todays stanards

A graphical update wont make it a new game. But yes, they could use the LOTRO engine on it to update it, but the question if it will get enough player to be worth the money and work.

I do belive it will be F2P soon, at least if DDO starts to make more money. If it will lose money they will never make something more F2P.

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186

Man, I hear that all the time! Asheron's was the greatest, hasn't been anything like it since. . .

How long do you think we will have to keep waiting? :D

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by Greyed

Do I still play AC1? Nope. Do I still compare portions of modern MMOs to AC1 and find them lacking? All the time. Tubine hit a home run with that game and I, too, would love to see an AC3 which follows in the same vein of AC1 but incorporates both graphic improvements to modern day standards as well as updates of common MMO systems as well as pretty much anything else they have in they "Wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?" file. ;)

This so true.

I would go back and play if all they did was update the graphics. If they re did the graphics and added a few modern MMO elements and expectations, I could imagine AC becoming a hit again.  

I too still compare todays MMOs to AC1 and yes I too find them lacking in certain elements.

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

I'd go back and play AC in  heartbeat if I could just connect to the old server and update tech - the game is head and shoulders above any I've played since in gameplay, environment, character development and storyline.

So what if the graphics are dated - I would hope that people play a game to have fun, not just to coo over the pretty colours. AC's graphics, whilst blocky, were far more accurate in object relation than many more "modern" games, where you regularly find your character walking ankle deep in solid rock or with your head stuck in a low ceiling.