Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Launch

david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I know most are having issues with Aion and it was a pretty smooth launch as MMO's go. Before everyone flames about what I'm about to say I have been to a couple, WOW, LOTR, AOC, WAR and now Aion. My issue is why does everyone say this "the game just launched there should be issues" or "it's an MMO and it's new we all knew there would be issues". What is beta for? why do any testing at all? 

Yes if i spend $50 on a game plus $15 a month I want to be able to play it and enjoy it. If i do not get to play and enjoy it I'm going to log onto forums and tell everyone I can that the game has issues, maybe saving some poor douchebag 50 bones. I do not think we should go easy on any business that doesn't give us what we pay for. These companies risk a lot , for what? for us all to be happy? NO, they risk a lot to make millions of dollars off each of us every month. So i see no reason not to EXPECT a company to put out a product that works and have all issues taken care of that they KNOW will come up. Server Ques, Gold Farmers, Lag, Performance. just to name a few that seem to always be the ones they just seem to overlook. whatever.

Peace

Comments

• bastiibastii Member Posts: 137

People paid for a pre-order with 5 day pre-release gameplay, many were unable to play during that time.

People pay for a service and their servers, this game has had massive queues for hours this week, if you finally connect you have a big chance you LD and the game itself is an utter lagfest on our server. Run for 10 seconds and get jerked back to the place you started.

edit: I mean to post this in the other thread, whatever

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

my advice for all those player that feel like him dont play any mmo that are less then 1 year old released in your country 

that way you wont have to lose your precious money and very valuable time posting here for noobs that we are.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

The question for you is : As a veteran MMO player, knowing what you do of the issue with hyper-playing (much longer and much more frequent per player gaming sessions)  and abnormally high concurrency at release, how would you have managed server balance?

The answer to that is usually "It's not up to me to figure out!" That's not an answer. If you feel there is some other realistic solution, then present it. So far, the solution offered by Turbine and NCSoft has worked relatively well at resolving this short term problem that can often have a negative long term impact on the subscribers if done wrong.

What do you feel is the solution they could have gone with otherwise?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by david361107

I know most are having issues with Aion and it was a pretty smooth launch as MMO's go. Before everyone flames about what I'm about to say I have been to a couple, WOW, LOTR, AOC, WAR and now Aion. My issue is why does everyone say this "the game just launched there should be issues" or "it's an MMO and it's new we all knew there would be issues". What is beta for? why do any testing at all? 
    Yes if i spend $50 on a game plus $15 a month I want to be able to play it and enjoy it. If i do not get to play and enjoy it I'm going to log onto forums and tell everyone I can that the game has issues, maybe saving some poor douchebag 50 bones. I do not think we should go easy on any business that doesn't give us what we pay for. These companies risk a lot , for what? for us all to be happy? NO, they risk a lot to make millions of dollars off each of us every month. So i see no reason not to EXPECT a company to put out a product that works and have all issues taken care of that they KNOW will come up. Server Ques, Gold Farmers, Lag, Performance. just to name a few that seem to always be the ones they just seem to overlook. whatever.

Peace

I've seen alot of launches some have been bad but I have been able to log in and play the game for a period of more the 6 hours in 4 days. This is going down in my personal book as one of the worst. What is disturbing is that people think it is acceptable and that some how I should remain loyal to NCSOFT and give them time.

No I should not who are they to me? They are someone I paid 50 quid to as well as a monthly fee , for providing me with a service which they fail to provide.

As long as people think not being able to play agame at launch is acceptable this shitty testing that  companies do will carry on. It is not hard emulating load on live gaming servers especially for an MMO as you pretty much know what to expect i.e. it's not a complex multitiered real time web application where the behaviour  of users and the effects on the application is extremely difficult to test, so would require months of building a proper testing environment and testing strategy . Not planning capacity and inadequate testing is NCSOFT's fault. If we did that where I work we wouldn't even get to deploy the application we would get laughed at and probably sacked.

(If it sounds like I am having a go at you I am not I have a bad headache and rush hour traffic was a b**ch )

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

So if you happen to find out that a new, but popular resturant is coming soon and get there to find a line for service, finally get a table but your waiter is super busy and you wait for about 10-15 minutes to be served, then wait another 15-20 minutes to even get your food. When you do finally get your food it is so delicious, do you complain about the service or pay your bill and move on.

Now all that happening is it worth the wait or do you say to hell with it and go somewhere else?

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by DevilXaphan

So if you happen to find out that a new, but popular resturant is coming soon and get there to find a line for service, finally get a table but your waiter is super busy and you wait for about 10-15 minutes to be served, then wait another 15-20 minutes to even get your food. When you do finally get your food it is so delicious, do you complain about the service or pay your bill and move on.

Now all that happening is it worth the wait or do you say to hell with it and go somewhere else?

Sorry how is your example related to Aion?

Try this instead:

You find a new restaurant there is a line for service, you can't even get in line as the only way to get to the back of the queue is blocked by an massive obnoxious fat bloke who refuses to move.  Eventually after trying to squeeze past him you some how manage to get through his legs and enter the queue right at the back of the line. You can smell the food and it smells nice. You wait 10 minutes which then becomes 40 miniutes which then becomes 1hour which then becomes 2 &1/2 hours. You finally get to the front of the queue and through the front door when you get disconnected.

Also change your example so you actually have to pay by credit card to book the table first and then for your food before you even get to the restaraunt. Then ask yourself would you complain if you have to wait 35 minutes before you get to eat.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• bastiibastii Member Posts: 137

If I had to wait 4 hours to get my food, he would get it back in his face, no matter how delicious it was.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

At the end of the day, when an MMO launches there will always be problems. Personally I am just thankful that the game is stable and hasn't picked a fight with my hardware like other games have. The longest I have queued for is an hour and a half, sure this isn't the best thing in the world but I just sit back, relax and watch a movie or TV untill I can play.

I would be a lot more annoyed if NCSoft launched with fifty servers and down the road we had a game that was playing catch up when the player base stabilizes. Just look at Mythic and Funcom, they jumped the gun at launch and now their respective titles are hailed as failures due to server merges because they didn't know how to handle the launch.

I doubt the queues will kill Aion, the gameplay will decide wether this game will become a contender so to speak. Just look at the 2,000 + per server waiting to play, it obviously has some draw. All I can say is just relax and be cool, you haven't been mugged of your money, patience is required at launch, if this is not in your character (no pun intended) wait a few months untill the game has stabilized and found it's feet.

• RegnevanzRegnevanz Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by bastii

If I had to wait 4 hours to get my food, he would get it back in his face, no matter how delicious it was.

I bet you do not pay a measily $15.00 a month for an all you can eat at Hells Kitchen for a month... FK sakes people.

My pre order went through just fine I was able to log in and play as much as I like, I am glad there are queues, mean more players and the game is very popular,

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

thanks for all the good responses, agreeing and disagreeing with what i had to say. My primary point is this.

Any MMO today has one chance really and that's launch. setting up over the top amounts of servers on the farm, adding too much bandwidth so you do not have any issues. Is this too much to ask? the gamble to me is not worth it after so much has been invested into a LONG term business plan. Cutting cost up front only to miss out on the much needed satified customer does not and will not make any sense to me. I go to the resturant example.

The new restaurant i stand in line, very nice people and enjoy some chatting as we wait. I make it to my table (login) the waiter comes up and says very nicely, I'm sorry be we are too full to have you here, now i need you to leave and go back outside and wait again. I did not get to have the delicious meal i waited so long for, i did not get to see my waiters nice smile as he came back to serve me my order, and i did not get to have meanful comversations with my friends as i enjoyed my meal. Will i go outside and wait again? most likely not, will i come back when they are less busy? maybe but the food will never be like it could have been that first opening day. how sad

Peace

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

in my view and i bet most mmo pvper view

i would rater have 20 full server 

then 200 empty server,

remember this when any game lower server number for any reason 

player always think ,oh this game is going down the drain,its gona close soon

so i would rater have ncwest make us wait the whole month in a 2 hour line-up 

then go in a server that looks empty like in lot of game 

in my view ncwest should add 1 server /langage  per month 

till they feel they re still out of space but wil say a 30 minute line up 

i think if ncwest just add 1 more server /langage for those langage that havent received it yet 

the situation should be ok till next month

it look bad in europe ,but if they add 1 server to those langage that havent gotten added yet 

situation should be fair

america is balanced for this month ,true once time card are made avail by ncsoft 

it will get very bad everywhere but i think ncwest delayed those for now till they can add more server to cope with the added gamer 

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

in my view and i bet most mmo pvper view
    i would rater have 20 full server 
    then 200 empty server,
    remember this when any game lower server number for any reason 
    player always think ,oh this game is going down the drain,its gona close soon
    so i would rater have ncwest make us wait the whole month in a 2 hour line-up 
    then go in a server that looks empty like in lot of game 
    in my view ncwest should add 1 server /langage  per month 
    till they feel they re still out of space but wil say a 30 minute line up 
    i think if ncwest just add 1 more server /langage for those langage that havent received it yet 
    the situation should be ok till next month
    it look bad in europe ,but if they add 1 server to those langage that havent gotten added yet 
    situation should be fair
    america is balanced for this month ,true once time card are made avail by ncsoft 
    it will get very bad everywhere but i think ncwest delayed those for now till they can add more server to cope with the added gamer 

I have to disagree with you on this and here is why. Any MMO marketing group has a pretty close idea on how many players will be hitting the servers at launch and NCSoft even had open beta plus early access to help them even more with the numbers.

This has happened with a number of MMO's launches. The launch is bad they have X number of servers, clients do not renew at the end of the month and people start falling off servers. This is the primary reason for server mergers, not because they had too many at launch, i can't think of one time that this has been the case.