Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Competition of the MMOs

dplagiusdplagius Member Posts: 8

Everything I have read so far has points to Guild Wars 2 not trying to compete to overpower WOW or even steal WOW players.

Guild Wars 2 is not meant for the average typical gamer who likes to grind 5 or 10 levels to reach the cap then quit playing because there is nothing else to do except raids. GW2 is being made for the user who likes to be challenged with Skill use and GvG.

Coming from experience I have witnessed several people who played WOW and switched over to GW. Most of them end up going back to WOW after they reach 20 because "there isn't anything else to do in the game". Well on the contrary there were tons of missions still not completed. Campaigns were not even unlocked nor was the expansion to the game.

Conclusion, GW is not trying or being made to overtake WOW, it's just trying to be the best game OF ITS KIND ever to be created.

Comments

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

Oh yes, I really do have to agree with you on this. I get rather annoyed when people try to compare Guild Wars with the WoW-type games around and then say that Guild Wars sucks because of the low level cap and instancing, because honestly, both types are vastly different. In fact, the devs don't even consider Guild Wars to fall under the MMORPG catagory. At the same time though, I understand that this type of game is not for everyone and that everyone does have a right to their own opinions but still, I do wish people didn't have to be so... rude with their opinions.

And I also get annoyed when people keep saying that Guild Wars is not a success because it does not have as high an amount of subscribers as WoW. The very fact that Guild Wars is still being played and bought, and the fact that it is still in existance, is more than enough for me to consider it a success, especially since they're coming up with a sequel. I don't see why it has to beat WoW in the first place; probably the only reason for people wanting it to beat WoW is because they want to have something to boast about.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• TetsunamiTetsunami Member Posts: 20

I have to say from personal experience that I have played GW since beta and have characters from launch, there is still an endless amount of content that could be explored by these characters granted most of it is title collection or farming for crap. Though  there is still so much to explore not to mention GW PvP is the most competitive fast paced and enjoyable experience I have ever had in a MMO. If anything GW2 will refine this experience as they know they need to cater to hardcore PvPers and casual PvPers where I myself enjoy all the gaming variants in GW providing me with endless hours of game play.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Thats your opinion, and others have theirs. Yes GW1 may not have been a MMORPG, but it still was labled such, by many blinded rabit fanboys.

But this time around, GW2 will be a MMO, and it will be compared to the MMORPGs already out there. The common term of killing a MMO, doesnt mean that it gets shut down, it only means, the base or avg number of players is constantly dropping.

F2P MMORPGs , regardless of their success, will still have a player base that grows. But usully when this is applied to a F2P game, it is refering to if the avg online player population is depleting or not.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There are people who just simply don't like GW because it is too different. That partly is the reason why Aion is a relative succes. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Its familiar. Someone who expects to play an oldschool done-to-death grindfest MMO will not like GW. Hopefully GW2 will not be too familiar for these players.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Alchem1stAlchem1st Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Thats your opinion, and others have theirs. Yes GW1 may not have been a MMORPG, but it still was labled such, by many blinded rabit fanboys.
    But this time around, GW2 will be a MMO, and it will be compared to the MMORPGs already out there. The common term of killing a MMO, doesnt mean that it gets shut down, it only means, the base or avg number of players is constantly dropping.
    F2P MMORPGs , regardless of their success, will still have a player base that grows. But usully when this is applied to a F2P game, it is refering to if the avg online player population is depleting or not.

are you autistic or something? explain why GW is not an MMORPG.

• hekimohekimo Member Posts: 85

guid wars is an mmo by all standards

just because the zones are instanced does not mean it isnt an online role-playing game

are you autistic or something? explain why GW is not an MMORPG.

Bloody hell, not that stupid debate again... who the hell cares whether GW is an MMORPG or not?

Main characters:

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Let's not turn this into the 9,999,999th thread about what is and what isn't an mmo.

Biggest reasons why people don't like Guild Wars:

-instanced

-low level cap

-no jumping

In other words, it's too different from other mmo's and people tend to not like things that are different (despite complaints heard that they want a game different than WoW or this or that game is a WoW clone, etcetera, hypocrasy at its best).

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Aladyleyna

are you autistic or something?

Lulz. Glad I'm not the only one /w that suspicion.

On the topic of low level cap. As far as I'm concerned the level cap in GW is 6. One level for every rank of the Kind of a Big Deal title track.

The lvl20 cap is a joke, you can get there in 8 hours if you push yourself, and it tells you absolutely nothing about a player if they attained it, so all the kiddies bitching about it are just disappointed that they can't use insane stat growth to compensate for their massive suckage at gaming.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Alchem1st

because arenanet says so(game maker)

corpg if i recall or close to that

• Alchem1stAlchem1st Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

because arenanet says so(game maker)

corpg if i recall or close to that

ye, corpg? show me 1 place where those words are written or said. wtf does corpg even mean? is it diminishing the size impression of the word massive? no one not even anet has ever called GW anything other than an MMORPG.

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by dplagius

Everything I have read so far has points to Guild Wars 2 not trying to compete to overpower WOW or even steal WOW players.

Guild Wars 2 is not meant for the average typical gamer who likes to grind 5 or 10 levels to reach the cap then quit playing because there is nothing else to do except raids. GW2 is being made for the user who likes to be challenged with Skill use and GvG.

Coming from experience I have witnessed several people who played WOW and switched over to GW. Most of them end up going back to WOW after they reach 20 because "there isn't anything else to do in the game". Well on the contrary there were tons of missions still not completed. Campaigns were not even unlocked nor was the expansion to the game.
    Conclusion, GW is not trying or being made to overtake WOW, it's just trying to be the best game OF ITS KIND ever to be created.

GW and WoW are two different types of games.  WoW is aimed at theacheivers, those that want to grind up to the next lvl, the next equipment, and so one.  While GW is more aimed at the explorers and the strategist, those that want to out think their opponent and check out all the aspects of the game regardless to how they relate to character development.

GW2 will vary slightly from both fronts.  It will be a bit more like WoW and bit less like GW, but it won't be any where close to resembling WoW and will still resemble the GW feel.  On the other hand it will also be innovative in other areas, much to how GW was.  Including the event system, a way at digressing from normal questing.  GW has always had the legacy of trying to be anti-grind.  The progression is supposed to be compelled by story, not getting to the next lvl.  That was part of the reason they caped it so low.  Now obviously there are other problems with a low cap, which is why they are rethinking that system for GW2, but they aim to continue that legacy of anti-grind, making the idea of involvement in the world more important then what lvl you are.  Now this is a very big horse to try to take down, because given the shock and awe at how they tackled the first game, I see GW2 being up for the challenge.  The background for some of the major players at ArenaNet stems from some of the best games released to date (especially Mike O'Brien).

To put it simply GW aims for a different goal then WoW.  GW aims to be different to challenge the status quo, WoW however seems for content with 1up-manship with the more classic system based UO and EQ rather then something revolutionary.  So no GW is not trying to overtake WoW, and I think in the end the only thing that will kill WoW is WoW itself.  GW2 is trying to be original, be fun, and be challenging in a much different way then MMOs have been in the past, and I think that will speak volumes to its success more then anything.

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79

ye, corpg? show me 1 place where those words are written or said. wtf does corpg even mean? is it diminishing the size impression of the word massive? no one not even anet has ever called GW anything other than an MMORPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_Wars

Competitive Online Role-Playing Game.  Sort of a sub-genre of MMO, and how GW was originally marketed.

Huh? I didn't say that.

no one not even anet has ever called GW anything other than an MMORPG.

According to the Guild Wars FAQ on www.guildwars.com,

"Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience."

Link: http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Main characters:

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Aladyleyna

Huh? I didn't say that.
    no one not even anet has ever called GW anything other than an MMORPG.
    According to the Guild Wars FAQ on www.guildwars.com,
    "Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience."
    Link: http://www.guildwars.com/products/guildwars/features/default.php

Hahahahahaha. Alchem1st just go so totally owned!

+1

Haha, thanks!

I distintly remember seeing the word "CORPG" mentioned somewhere on the Guild Wars website; took me about 10 minutes to find it using google.

Main characters:

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

oh crap, another thread that descended into a GW-is/isnot-an-MMO argument

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

Originally posted by illyana

oh crap, another thread that descended into a GW-is/isnot-an-MMO argument

If GW is a MMO then so is Halo and Resistance, and Diablo and WC3 so on so on :^)

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

i didnt state my opinion if GW1 is an MMO or not
    im lamenting the fact that another thread became an argument abt this moot topic abt GW1
    most of the time it's started by YOU!

so what if GW1 is a CORPG? its still one of the best online games out there

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• benzjiebenzjie Member Posts: 81

I liked the next discussion about this topic better.

Don't shoot the messenger.....it will ruin you monitor

Originally posted by illyana

i didnt state my opinion if GW1 is an MMO or not

im lamenting the fact that another thread became an argument abt this moot topic abt GW1

most of the time it's started by YOU!

so what if GW1 is a CORPG? its still one of the best online games out there

Resistance 2 is still a better Online Game

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Yes they have said that it is an coorpg. if you watched interwievs or seen their bloggs. you would know they have said that it is an coorpg. so get your facts right next time.

Originally posted by SweetZoid

Yes they have said that it is an coorpg. if you watched interwievs or seen their bloggs. you would know they have said that it is an coorpg. so get your facts right next time.

which is why I say

"calling Guild Wars a MMORPG is like calling it a Racing Game. You can call it what ever you like, but once you do, people will compare it to other games in that genre. so in this example, GW would suck as a game, if it was labled a Racing Game because it isn't. But does that make it a bad game? No! "

GW1 is not a MMORPG, and while people try to call it a MMO, it isnt. And when you do, people will compare it to other MMORPGs out there. This games Sucks big time for a MMORPG, because it isnt a MMORPG. Its a CORPG. does that mean its a bad game in general? NO!, but as a MMORPG? YES

GUILD WARS2 Will be in a brand new Genre of Games. So things will Change. Which is why Anet is holding back on the Mechanics Info. Because they dont want Fans to jump to conclusion, that the brand new System will be bad, just because it different from the system GW1 had.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209

*sigh* This is akin to watching a Turing test go horribly wrong.

MMO:  a video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world.

Persistent World: The persistence comes from maintaining and developing the state of the world in the game around the clock. Quite unlike other types of games, the plot and events in a persistent world game continue to develop even while some of the players are not playing their characters.

What sets GW apart from Diablo II in this regard, is that global prices for scrolls, materials, and dyes are updated in real time based on the volumes being bought and sold by players at any given interval. There's also favor of the gods. Which requires players to be earning titles at regular intervals to be maintained. Merchant prices in Diablo II and whatever else you listed are hard coded and will never bow to supply and demand. Ergo, even though thousands of players may be playing the game at once, they don't qualify as persistent.

Persistance has nothing to do with the lack of instancing. Tons of offline games qualify as persistent. Just because the thousands of players are spread out through thousands of instances, does not mean they're not contributing to the persistant state of the game world.

You seem to be confusing the definition of MMORPG with the currently dominant form of the genre; Aion/WoW/RoM that you seem to be so fond of. Just because it's a fringe game that you don't like doesn't mean that it's not a member of the club.

The CORPG/MMORPG debate is an irrelevant red herring. There's nothing about a Cooperative Online Role Playing Game that precludes it from being a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. MMORPG's do allow cooperation, do they not?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Delete this thread. Sorry OP that your topic got derailed in another inane argument about what is an mmo.