Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to try this game

HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Ok I have heard there is a lot of need to solo at the lower levels.  I like to heal in games.  Is there a healer that is usefull at higher levels that can also solo at the lower levels without having to take days to kill mobs?

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I will add...coming from WoW my favored classes are Warlock, priest, druid, hunter.  So something along pet and healing classes I like.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237

I would recommend either the Captain or Minstrel.  Both are good support/healing class types.  In LOTRO all classes except guardians can kill things fast enough to make it fun.  The Captain will get a pet that follows him around/buffs him and at later levels is a support healer/group buffer.  The minstrel can either be dps or a healer depending on how you spec him, so most people do dps to level and then switch to healing specs once they are maxed.

Hope this helps and LOTRO is a very fun game, just gets old after a while.

• DraeghorDraeghor Member UncommonPosts: 50

Well, the minstrel used to be really good at healing as well as fighting.  With the Mines of Moria, they nerfed the Minstrels healing down.  i still find it possible to heal in groups as well as fighting solo, but it is a lot harder.  With Mines of Moria, the Rune Keeper is a much better healer, but the way they can shift between healing and casting, they can either do one well or the other.  So if you want something that can cast offensive spells, then the RK is good for that, but cannot heal well at the same time.  Personally, I like the ability of the minstrel to fight and cast healing / damage more than th Rune Keeper.

is the captain useful at later levels?  as far as healing and buffing. 

The captain is extremely useful and makes any group much better.  They also get to wear heavy armor and use 2 handed weapons. 

• GreygonGreygon Member Posts: 75

The minstrel is an awesome class that can solo as well as heal.  When runnning warspeech you can solo as well as any class in the game IMO.

The RK is also a great toon, but it is hard to switch during combat from DPS to Heals due to the attunement.  Not that many mobs require you to switch since you can DPS with the best of them, but it is something to keep in mind.

I'd recommend either of them considering the toons you liked in WoW.  Both will be a comfortable play style for you I think.

thanks for the help....one last question...what is a good level to get up to to really feel the classes playstyle.  Since I now have to experiement with 3 classes =)

Originally posted by Greygon

The RK is also a great toon, but it is hard to switch during combat from DPS to Heals due to the attunement.  Not that many mobs require you to switch since you can DPS with the best of them, but it is something to keep in mind.

Don't really know what you're talking about with it being hard to switch between dps and heals as a RK.  They have tons of abilities that center the attunement and pretty fast at that.  So I would say it is only hard to switch if you are lousy at playing the RK.

Originally posted by Horusra

thanks for the help....one last question...what is a good level to get up to to really feel the classes playstyle.  Since I now have to experiement with 3 classes =)

I would say probably around level 30 you should have a good feel for the class.  It is hard to get a good idea before that.  I would say the minstrel or Captain fits the classes you say you like to play.  The RK is a very soft class and can't take much damage so it is a little more CC/burst damage than the other 2 classes.

Originally posted by Silacoid

Originally posted by Greygon

Don't really know what you're talking about with it being hard to switch between dps and heals as a RK.  They have tons of abilities that center the attunement and pretty fast at that.  So I would say it is only hard to switch if you are lousy at playing the RK.

LOL  Thanks!  I'll admit the RK is a new toon for me, as I only have it to lvl 25 or so, so it is highly possible I am not the MACK DADDY of RK's.  But your post confirms again how wonderful the readers of MMORPG are.  I will however, heal your ass in the dirt with my mini...  ;)

30 would be a good judge, but I think by the time you hit 20 you'll know if it is the toon for you or not.  I rolled a Champ and by 15 I just knew it wasn't what I wanted to play.

The skills you get at higher levels in LotRO are really something though and sometimes one of the big skills at the end can change your mind about a toon...

=( have to say not impressed with the speed of their digital download....~500 kps....5.5 hours  =(

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

=( have to say not impressed with the speed of their digital download....~500 kps....5.5 hours  =(

Id let you borrow my CD's but that isnt possible.

When you start playing, try out the Arkenstone server. Its a great server. I suggest trying to join a kin called Riders of Rohan. Great people that have loads of fun doing random yet productive things.

will do...thanks