Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has any other MMO still charged for transferring off a closed server?

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I find the $50 to transfer off the closed servers in SWG exortionate, and discriminitive.

It is not the players choice to transfer, but SOEs from them shutting it down, and should not charge for it. If SOE chucked players to any server, and the player did not want to be on that server, then it would be the players choice, but the way they are doing it is wrong.

It is not the players fault if they happened to choose the wrong server and some are no doubt clueless or unabble for whatver reason to resub by Oct 15th, and even then it sucks forcing people to resub when they don't want to. Some may even be waiting for the Death Troopers and/or GCW update before resubbing, and only inetend paying $15 then, only willing to pay more if they like these udpates, but if characters are stuck in limbo on a closed server, then will not be able to find out.

Also, for some, they may not even realise they have to pay the $50 fee, and I doubt SOE will put up a warning something like "This account has characters on closed servers.If you resubscribe, and want to carry on using these character, you will need to pay $50 to do so"

Another nail SWGs coffin.

Comments

• DarthMechDarthMech Member UncommonPosts: 40

you have had since what january for free transfer if ya didnt go then look at the fufty bucks as punishment for being lazy!!

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I really think there is nothing SOE will not do on moral grounds. It is all about money now, and it is obvious that have no concern for their players. Some of their games are fun, but if you can never trust them...

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by DarthMech

you have had since what january for free transfer if ya didnt go then look at the fufty bucks as punishment for being lazy!!

Lazy has nothing to do with. The $50 fee is just wrong, unless is is well known that other MMOS charged to transfer off of a closed server/

Which is why I asked - Has any other MMO charged like this?

• Shimmer9Shimmer9 Member Posts: 49

I dont know why you are freaking out...or jumping to conclusions becuase they arent charging people on the closing servers to transfer http://war.warcry.com/news/view/94735-Star-Wars-Galaxies-Closing-12-Servers

"Between September 15, 2009 and October 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM PT all characters on the affected servers are eligible for a one way, one time Free Character Transfer* to any of the remaining thirteen (13) Star Wars Galaxies servers."

So obviously you are being charged for something else...

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

It is not a matter of being lazy. $OE has had the FCTS since January and it was optional for players on the selected transfer-from servers to utilize it. There was no mention of closing servers. While many players suspected that server closings would someday happen, there were still players (both current and vet) still sticking it out on a few of the dead servers. Active accounts will be able to use the FCTS. Since there appears to be no plans for a free vet trial, closed alternate accounts and vets will have to pony up the subscription fee to transfer before October 15th or pay the higher hostage fee of $65 (suscription and transfer fees) or more.

While some of the bitter players want to see vets get hit hard with this, $OE has to know that this will forever shut the door on many possible vet returns. Sadly, there will also be former players that will not know about this and are in for a rude awakening if they want to pick up SWG again after the closure date.

I think the vast majority of vets and players have transferred since January and $OE is willing to sacrifice those those potential accounts that did not utilize the FCTS. Too bad that there was not earlier closure notice given with a free vet trial....it would have appeared like $OE was actually trying accomodate players more than trying to set in another blatant money grab.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

I received an email from SOE saying they are closing servers and offering FREE transfers to the remaining servers. This is with an inactive account. My characters are on one of the remaining servers so I didn't care. I don't know what would happen to my characters if I was on a closing server and I didn't resub to switch. SoE has also offered alot of free play time this year to inactive accounts. Maybe they will offer a weekend before the switch.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Chances are they will offer a free reactivation during Novmber for the Galactic Moon Festival and Death Troopers update or GCW update and/or Life Day, which will be after the servers close, and too late.

Even the Buddy programme could have helped a few people with that Instant CL 50 bonus, as after Oct 15th it is better to just level up a new character, and that buddy boost to CL 50 would help, but that also closes on Oct 15th.

I have a friend who is interested in horror stuff and zombies, who has been with game from beginning until just before NGE, and came back last year, and may be interested in the Death Troopers stuff, but if he has to pay $65 to see what it is like, I doubt he will be back

Roll on TOR

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Well there was this hype about the transfer from servers growing in population lol.  There was also the line that players were getting server transfers instead of mergers.  And, there was also this line from schill posts that people love their empty servers--something about the beauty of a small, close-knit community...

All of this messaging suggests that the small servers had nothing to worry about.  In fact, we were told just the opposite, that they were growing.

None of the messaging is in line with the current reality of the server closures.  Tbh, this is just par for the course in my experience.  If I've learned one thing through my SWG experience, it's not to believe all the positive spin, when my own eyes tell me something different.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

As has been stated, it's free to transfer off the servers that are closing down.  Yes, if you don't have a current sub you'll need to pay $15 to activate your account so you can take advantage of that free transfer.  With two or three free vet trials already been active through they year and getting your character off a dying server was important to you, I have to question as to why you didn't take some initiative and take advatange of that free time to transfer then.  Going on about "SOE said they had no plans to shut the servers down" isn't really an excuse in my eyes but rather an easy way to blame someone else other then yourself.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I think this is stupid because someone who hasn't played for years might want to come back and have to pay aload of money...... I can't believe some of the stupid decisions SOE are still making to alienate potential customers.

Originally posted by Varny

I think this is stupid because someone who hasn't played for years might want to come back and have to pay aload of money...... I can't believe some of the stupid decisions SOE are still making to alienate potential customers.

When you sign up for the game you agree to a policy that states SOE only guarantees to keep your character and items for up to 3 months after you leave the game.

Originally posted by Obraik

When you sign up for the game you agree to a policy that states SOE only guarantees to keep your character and items for up to 3 months after you leave the game.

People don't read them and then go "fair enough" and when they want to come back to the game think "oh well I had my chance I better start again" lol. No they go "I've lost my chars unless I pay $50... fuck this game" and they wont come back. This doesn't help the already small player base the game has and that will continue to decline as it ages. Specially when Swtor comes out the game will get no new players and then you've stopped all them people who quit years ago from ever coming back.

Stupid move by a stupid company.

I havn't played WoW for years but the new expansion makes me want to come back. What happens if they say "you have to pay us "50 to get your characters back" and I'd be like "screw this" and wouldn't come back to the game.

Any changes they'll make in the future that might appeal to people who quit wont ever come back now.

Is it $50 per character or per account?

People don't read them and then go "fair enough" and when they want to come back to the game think "oh well I had my chance I better start again" lol. No they go "I've lost my chars unless I pay $50... fuck this game" and they wont come back. This doesn't help the already small player base the game has and that will continue to decline as it ages. Specially when Swtor comes out the game will get no new players and then you've stopped all them people who quit years ago from ever coming back.

I havn't played WoW for years but the new expansion makes me want to come back. What happens if they say "you have to pay us "50 to get your characters back" and I'd be like "screw this" and wouldn't come back to the game.

Any changes they'll make in the future that might appeal to people who quit wont ever come back now.

So, they should keep those servers running for people that may (emphassis on the may) return to the game sometime and some point in the future?  Sorry, some potential gains just aren't worth it.  I would recommend not blindly clicking accept to agreements without first having a read through them - it's good to know where you stand ;)

It's $0 to move your character off those servers, assuming you have a sub.  Once October 15 comes along there's no paying $50 to get those characters back if you didn't transfer them - they're gone for good.

• pdk25pdk25 Member Posts: 115

A couple of years ago I transfered 3 toons from one EQ accout to another (to play with RL friends). To my shock, I was charged $375. Wound up that I had lost my passion for EQ after I went back, so I was kicking myself for quite some time. I learned a good (but expensive) lesson. Hope my comment wasn`t too off topic.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

So, they should keep those servers running for people that may (emphassis on the may) return to the game sometime and some point in the future?  Sorry, some potential gains just aren't worth it.  I would recommend not blindly clicking accept to agreements without first having a read through them - it's good to know where you stand ;)

It's $0 to move your character off those servers, assuming you have a sub.  Once October 15 comes along there's no paying $50 to get those characters back if you didn't transfer them - they're gone for good.

Maybe you should read the announcement and FAQ's on the O-board.  The characters are NOT gone for good.

"What happens if I am not able to transfer my characters from these servers before October 15th 2009, can I move my characters after October 15th 2009?

Beginning October 16th, 2009 at 12:01 AM PT you will be able to contact Customer Support and for the standard Character Transfer fee of $50.00 you will be able to schedule a transfer for your character, eligible structures and inventory.

Please be aware that the Character Transfer Service from closed servers does not guarantee that all inventory items will be transferred. Due to the unique nature of moving a character from a closed server, the Character Transfer Service may take additional time to process."

After Octiober 15th, a player will have to subscribe and pay the normal $50/toon to transfer.

Originally posted by Kazara

Maybe you should read the announcement and FAQ's on the O-board.  The characters are NOT gone for good.

"What happens if I am not able to transfer my characters from these servers before October 15th 2009, can I move my characters after October 15th 2009?

Beginning October 16th, 2009 at 12:01 AM PT you will be able to contact Customer Support and for the standard Character Transfer fee of $50.00 you will be able to schedule a transfer for your character, eligible structures and inventory.

Please be aware that the Character Transfer Service from closed servers does not guarantee that all inventory items will be transferred. Due to the unique nature of moving a character from a closed server, the Character Transfer Service may take additional time to process."

After Octiober 15th, a player will have to subscribe and pay the normal $50/toon to transfer.

Well, there you go.  The only inconveniance for not getting in before October 15 is a bit of "stupid tax" ;)

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Well, there you go.  The only inconveniance for not getting in before October 15 is a bit of "stupid tax" ;)

LOL, how you can argue this is beyond me. $50 for me to activate my toon PLUS $15 is GOING to cost them players. No way around it.

Why would you have the audacity to call the players "stupid"? How are they stupid? What did they do? Are you calling them "stupid" because they took a break or got bored of the current game? Maybe they were waiting for a coming Update? 

I have to assume you get "stuff" or favors from SoE, because there is no way in hell any rational person could justify the $50 fee to move a toon. If I go back, I don't have to pay the $50 to access my stuff...why should someone on a closed server??? It's a database...not like a Dev has to actually go in there and move my gear. I have several other accounts that were not active at all during the FCTS. Oct 16th, I can log in and play those toons for just $15...even though they have been inactive as long as anyone else's on a "dead" server. As one poster put it, the $50 is simply extortion.

That $50 fee just ensures none of the missing Vets from that server NEVER return. The only ones you can call "stupid" for the $50 is SoE...or maybe this is their plan.

Originally posted by TUX426

LOL, how you can argue this is beyond me. $50 for me to activate my toon PLUS $15 is GOING to cost them players. No way around it.

Why would you have the audacity to call the players "stupid"? How are they stupid? What did they do? Are you calling them "stupid" because they took a break or got bored of the current game? Maybe they were waiting for a coming Update? 

I have to assume you get "stuff" or favors from SoE, because there is no way in hell any rational person could justify the $50 fee to move a toon. If I go back, I don't have to pay the $50 to access my stuff...why should someone on a closed server??? It's a database...not like a Dev has to actually go in there and move my gear. I have several other accounts that were not active at all during the FCTS. Oct 16th, I can log in and play those toons for just $15...even though they have been inactive as long as anyone else's on a "dead" server. As one poster put it, the $50 is simply extortion.

That $50 fee just ensures none of the missing Vets from that server NEVER return. The only ones you can call "stupid" for the $50 is SoE...or maybe this is their plan.

They're not players, they're ex-players.  I call it "stupid tax" because they've had THREE opportunities to transfer off those servers for free now, without having to resub.  THREE chances to avoid having to pay $50 to move off.  Regardless of if the servers were closing down or not, there was a dead line set on that free transfer period and it was set to expire at the end of September (which was announce many months ago).  If people have chosen to ignore the THREE free opportunities to move off those servers then I think it's relatively safe to say they have little interest in returning to the game.

I'm sure if I worked for SOE this type of reply wouldn't be endorsed by them.  My patience for people willing to blame everyone but themselves has growen shorter over the last years (that's what getting into IT will do to you ;) )

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

They're not players, they're ex-players.  I call it "stupid tax" because they've had THREE opportunities to transfer off those servers for free now, without having to resub.  THREE chances to avoid having to pay $50 to move off.  Regardless of if the servers were closing down or not, there was a dead line set on that free transfer period and it was set to expire at the end of September (which was announce many months ago).  If people have chosen to ignore the THREE free opportunities to move off those servers then I think it's relatively safe to say they have little interest in returning to the game.

I'm sure if I worked for SOE this type of reply wouldn't be endorsed by them.  My patience for people willing to blame everyone but themselves has growen shorter over the last years (that's what getting into IT will do to you ;) )

Customers are not to blame when a toxic relationship develops between them and a provider of a service.   If the provider of that service lied to those customers while taking their money and got caught -- any difficulties following that action are entirely the service provider's fault.

If they want those customers back -- or more importantly they wish to redeem their terrible reputation, they shouldn't be doing this. This action shows once again that they have learned little from their mistakes and still come off as shortsighted money grubbing jerks rather than wise profit makers.

As to whether SOE would endorse you attacking their customers or ex-customers and calling them stupid...sure they would. Their own people do it all the time. They may use  deceptive means in their marketing and communication, but they aren't very good at at. They are immature business people in general -- hence the inability to learn from mistakes and the arrogant attitude while they are in the midst of screwing up -- and when honestly and effectively challenged, they often become a bit unhinged.

We have seen this of current employees (draakul comes to mind) and former employees (Dan "Om nom nom" Rubenfield comes to mind). It seems to be an SOE thing all around, Screw the customers while they are customers, then tell them they are stupid and they suck after the customers leave.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

You completely overlook the possibility that those "ex-players" may not have wanted to move.  They might have enjoyed subscribing to the game on the server they chose with the people they knew.  The free character transfer doesn't mean people were forced to move.  It doesn't mean people should have had clairvoyance enough to know soe would close the servers and then charge fees if they missed the last window.  You are using 20/20 hindsight to blame players for something they did not know and may not have even been something they were interested in.  

Not to mention soe said repeatedly during those free transfers, they had no plans to close servers. 

I don't blame anyone for staying that a) liked their community and b) believed soe had no plans to merge servers.  If players had any indication this was the route soe was planning then yes, it would be a "stupid tax", but that isn't how things happened.  Nice to see the SWG userbase blaming the players once again.

This is not how mergers were handled in any of their other games.  I have not logged onto one of my EQ accounts for years.  If I log on right now, I can play my character without paying a $50 fee even though my old server was closed down.  Why? because all the characters were moved when my old server was closed.  What justifies a $50 fee post mergers?  It isn't like everyone who has ever left knows about this.   

The FCTS was a terrible way to handle server megers, just like it was in warhammer.  Soe needed to take charge and merge servers just like they have in every other game instead of let players make paniced decisions that crowded everyone onto one server and effectively ruined the desired outcome of server mergers.  I find it laughable how soe stands proud and calls the fcts an overwhelming success.  I'm sure the players on Bria for example don't feel that way.

Not that much of this matters.  Former players are not coming back to this game anyhow.  Some people might subscribe to archive their memories on a new server, but thats about it.  Another vet trial would just result in people moving their characters to warehouse them on the new servers. 

You also forget the fact that most people don't read the forums or the news. John Smedley himself called them the Vocal Minority and I'd be suprised if more than 20% of the players are active of the forums. I have friends who play mmorpgs who don't read any patch notes or anything and they have no idea whats happening to the game even when they are active. I myself don't follow WoW's news so I have no idea whats happening to my characters and sometimes I login and wonder why all my talent build has been reset.

I follow SWG's news because the game used to be something I loved before the NGE and I even resubbed to one account to see what has changed (not much from what I saw it still has the retarded animations and UI) and I had no clue people were given 2 server transfers before. So there must be lots of people out there who will go "I havn't played SWG in years I'll give it another go" and they'll come back and their characters are gone. Not only have they wasted $15 to resub but they have to pay $50 per character to transfer them without their items.

You're only looking at the argument from a person whose safe but think about the lots of people who have no idea and then go on to waste $15 to only find this new out once they ask what happened on the  boards.

The forums don't care I made a valid post without any insults or flaming about the state of the combat, the UI amoung other things and I got called a troll for some reason and banned from the forums. It's like is this the action of a company who cares about their customers? I made valid points and explained what could be done and yet I'm apparently a veteran troll making another pre NGE post. Oh noes I pointed out that I would like the old UI back.....

Just reinforced to me that the community has gone to shit and SOE still havn't learnt.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I for one will not be coming back to SWG nor will I sub for another SOE game. I may change my mind in the future if they learn how to become a responsible company but until then others will have my business.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

I am not sure what the complaint is.  No former player - especially one on this thread - is going to go back to SWG.  No body.  No how.  If you were going to return at any time, you would have an active account now.  "I don't want to resub now, I'm waiting for . . ."  What?   What could you possibly be waiting for?  The game is now what it will be forever.

Complaints getting stuck with a $50 fee after the FCTS runs out is an empty argument.  SOE knows they now have all they players they are ever going to have for the game and it is those players targeted for the transfer.  Not former players, because they ain't coming.  Ever.  Any former player making noise they might want to come back later and it is unfair they should pay is doing just that - making noise.

You will not come back., either now nor anytime after October 15th.  You will not.

• stillkillinstillkillin Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by tman5

I am not sure what the complaint is.  No former player - especially one on this thread - is going to go back to SWG.  No body.  No how.  If you were going to return at any time, you would have an active account now.  "I don't want to resub now, I'm waiting for . . ."  What?   What could you possibly be waiting for?  The game is now what it will be forever.
    Complaints getting stuck with a $50 fee after the FCTS runs out is an empty argument.  SOE knows they now have all they players they are ever going to have for the game and it is those players targeted for the transfer.  Not former players, because they ain't coming.  Ever.  Any former player making noise they might want to come back later and it is unfair they should pay is doing just that - making noise.
    You will not come back., either now nor anytime after October 15th.  You will not.

the complaint is that $OE is forcing players to move off servers that wouldn't have died if pre-cu swg was still around. and if you don't move you toon is deleted.

also they are demanding that if we do not want to lose what is left of all of our hard work that they stole from us with the nge then we have to pay them $15 dollars. that is wrong and in my eyes illegal and i will be contacting the better business bureau about this.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Let me get this straight... They shut your server down? Completely? Didn't it like maybe merge with another server? You can't even log in and "look" at your character anymore cause that particular server no longer exists? And in order to move said character to another server they are charging you money to do so? 50 bucks??? That just don't sound right. I have played pretty much all SOE games and I have never heard of them doing anything like that to people. SOE may be idiots for not realizing the potential of Vanguard: Saga of Heros but charging 50 bucks to move your char off a no longer existing server is just unacceptable. I'd be on the phone annoying the hell out of someone for doing so!