Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you hyped about The Secret World?

2»

Comments

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

I just started AoC and I like it so far. I learnt about TSW a few weeks ago and yeah, I am hyped. As with AoC, the main reason is that I like the setting and the background story/stories.

Whether TSW it will succeed or not, only time will tell. I plan to do as I have just done with most of the MMOs I have played, get a free trial and then decide whether to sub or not. Pretty easy risk-free decision.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I am a little hyped because I like the premise of the game and I like the guy producing it.    He produced not one but two of my all time favorite games (one of them being the Longest Journey the other being Dreamfall) and if he is in charge I think SW maybe one of those games that make people step back and go - "Oh hell yes!  Give me more."  Because that is what his games do to you.   The game, 'Longest Journey', is by far one of the best action adventure games ever done and if you haven't had the chance to play it...you still can.   Here is a link to the demo from the website.   The game maybe dated(from 1998), but back then it was cutting edge tech and put most other games of its time to shame.

Demo of the LJ <<< get demo here

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Cant get hyped over this game without actual gameplay.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Curious, but not hyped.  Really, only scant details about 3 factions and a story weaving lots of legends together.  Without more detail and some commmentary on gameplay.....

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Teala

I am a little hyped because I like the premise of the game and I like the guy producing it.    He produced not one but two of my all time favorite games (one of them being the Longest Journey the other being Dreamfall) and if he is in charge I think SW maybe one of those games that make people step back and go - "Oh hell yes!  Give me more."  Because that is what his games do to you.   The game, 'Longest Journey', is by far one of the best action adventure games ever done and if you haven't had the chance to play it...you still can.   Here is a link to the demo from the website.   The game maybe dated(from 1998), but back then it was cutting edge tech and put most other games of its time to shame.
    Demo of the LJ <<< get demo here

Classic games indeed. Cool storylines, nice characters and unforgettable world design. Ragnar's a guy who's really good at building fictional worlds, and that's gotta come in handy when one's making an MMO :)

• SimplyMonkSimplyMonk Member Posts: 10

My level of hype is a factor of "Details about the Game" and how "Lovecraftian" it is.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by SimplyMonk

My level of hype is a factor of "Details about the Game" and how "Lovecraftian" it is.

So, what you're saying is that it probably might be too early to start hyping about this game.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I'm not seems a little soon after AoC for funcom to jump ship and dive into this new venture.

I wasn't impresses with AO, but truth on that one is i tried it too late.

I wasn't impressed at ALL with AoC, and I gave it plenty of chances,

So I don't have alot of confidence in the company making the game, will I keep an eye on it? yeah, will I zerg to the store to buy it? No, I might try a free trial of it later, when they go on their recruitment campaign, but till then not on the edge of my seat.

• Lloyd_BLloyd_B Member Posts: 21

TSW is a game a look forward to learning more about. I can't say I'm hyped ( a bit early for that), I need to at least see some in-game video for that to kick in.

I like the idea of a lvl-less game, as most players seem to rush through a game anway there's little point in using a lot of man-hours to make thousands of quests and several low/mid -level zones, and just end up with a bunch of newly level cap'ers that complain about to little focus on the end game content.

"The purpose of our lives is to be happy"
    *Dalai Lama

• aeathaeath Member Posts: 5

I was hyped up for it, but find myself no longer.  I will keep an eye on it, but the latest information seems to be targeting the twitch combat players.  Good for them I guess; bad for me.

As for you all praising the "Level less" game play, lol.  You are still grinding for skill points, so sure you won't have so and so is a level 23 fighter, but you are still grinding levels regardless if those levels are hidden or not.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I'm certainly keeping an eye on it.

World of Darkness is what I'm hoping is going to be the real savior of MMOs though... Hey, I can hop right? :p

*edit* I'm also going to hope whilst I'm hopping... :s

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Closest thing to a levelless MMO is CS:S.  Everything else will have levels, the levels are just replaced by skill points.  In EVE, perfect example, many corps require a minimum number of skill points to join.  This is essentially no different from levels.

And no, I am not hyped.

• TisiphoneTisiphone Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Hoobley
    I'm certainly keeping an eye on it.

World of Darkness is what I'm hoping is going to be the real savior of MMOs though... Hey, I can hop right? :p

Seconded 100 percent. We've been waiting for WoD Online for so long... I was waiting for it in like... 2004. Its not even on the MMORPG.com Big List of Games. -That- is the game I'm hyped about. However, I want the Modern D20 / Modern Day Fantasy MMO genre so badly... Guess I'm just starved for it.

I will certainly give it a college try. However, I did not like any of the secret society descriptions in their beta survey.

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

I've long since given up/realized that there will be no "savior" of the MMORPG for as long as money talks. I am not hyped by The Secret World, but I am truely interested in what direction they're going to take it, and how it will turn out.

• karnivorkarnivor Member UncommonPosts: 29

Its not even the same team that worked on AoC. And we can hope Funcom learned from their previous mistake and wait until this game is finished.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I'm just hoping for a different kind of game, something that doesn't follow the typical setting devs seemed to have gotten attached to.  i play warcraft, i really don't want to play yet another mmo that has that medieval fantasy style and i'm not excited really about any Sci fi ones that are out.

Not sure why but this one with its more modern setting and just what i have read about the story (what little bits you can decipher anyways) and such has got my interest, not to mention the no leveling and the fact that Ragnar hates instancing as much as i do. =)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

I have never really been hyped about any game. TSW seems like a good idea and I will certanly try it. Spending lets saty usd 100 on a couple of days of entertainment is not really a lot of you think about it.

Compare it with: how many dvds would you buy/rent to spend lets say 14 days in front ot the screen.... Or how many movie tickes, or how many beers, or how many theater tickes, etc etc

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Hyped nah, but I guess I won't become insta-poor by just spening 50 euro on something. Not to mention, AO has its place among legend MMOs with its good and bad features.

• Blackwell99Blackwell99 Member Posts: 352

Im not sure how anybody can be Hyped about any game that is using the AO gaming engine. That engine was released in 1998.

Could you imagine if EverQuest 3 used EverQuest 1's engine? --thats crazy right?

Look at all the tech that has evolved since 1998. Sure they'll try to scotch-tape features into the engine--but i can assure you it will not be a clean, effiicient running engine. More like a Frankenstien who suffers from autism. I can guarantee this.

The dreamworld engine is a joke--it has never functioned well in any game it was used in (AO, AoC). I mean it really doesn't matter what  theme they use--the point is that the engine is a dinosaur.

Perhaps one or two gaming engines could  be recycled for a decade---but not this engine.

• bani789bani789 Member UncommonPosts: 52

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Although it has peaked my interest due to the history, lore, and societies, I do not get hyped over any MMO any longer.

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I have to say I am a little bit intrigued by this game. Seems difern't to anything else out there or in development. Trying not to get hyped about anything. If you read these forums about any new game they tend to be shot down in flames before they even get released. But def looking forward to it. I did the beta/personality test thing on the main sight. I'm a dragon aparently:).........Also i'm a bit of a tosser.......funny how that didn't seem to come through in the test.;)

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

I'm not hyped but like everything I have read about the game until now.I'll keep following it's development because of Ragnar Tornquist and hope FC don`t mess with that one at launch .

Ok give us a gameplay video  guys.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...