Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: PAX Faction Reveal

13»

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by jaxsundane
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by Salvatoris
    Originally posted by Hepisodic  The only bad thing about this game is Funcom is making it. That alone turns many people off. 

The idea for the game though is completely solid and I hope Failcom learned from its AoC failure. 

I'm right there with you.  I learned my lesson about the funcom hype machine.  I've played a lot of games that were rocky at launch, but Conan just felt like bait and switch.  Most of the things that were interesting to me weren't in at launch and several of them will never be.  A year later, Conan still doesn't look like the game it was advertised as.  That game is a colossal waste of the graphics capabilities.  Environments look great, character models are excellent.. all the gear looks like ass.  Maybe getting outside the strict confines of an established IP will correct that problem.  I certainly won't get my hopes up about this game... but I'll keep a close eye on user reviews after it launches and I might look in to it if I hear enough good things.

I think the realistic armor is one of the best parts of AoC,  You can usually tell if a person has their MMO roots in PnP or in Streetfighter by how they like their visuals.

I love the apparent snideness of this remark my roots are planted firmly in 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons and I don't like that junk they wear in aoc either.  Never played a "streetfighter" where the toons wore armor so you lost me there.

What's wrong with the armor in AoC? It looks like something someone would actually wear when they run around killing stuff. It looks believable. I like that.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• anthromattanthromatt Member Posts: 4

http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/09/03/kultur/spill/the_secret_world/funcom/onlinespill/7939385/

Not sure if this has been posted yet.  Found on a Norwegian news site.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Funcom, you need to give Erling Ellingsen a raise. He is doing a hell of a job fooling these people AGAIN. Even so soon after AoC launched, he can still do it. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by toddze
    Funcom, you need to give Erling Ellingsen a raise. He is doing a hell of a job fooling these people AGAIN. Even so soon after AoC launched, he can still do it. 

The only peson who needs to get a raise is Ragnar Tornquist.

AFter delivering the WIN of Longest Journey and the WIN of Dreamfall chapters, he is going to deliver the WIN in mmo form - The Secret World(after all this man was behind many innovations in Anarchy Online, so its assuring that TSW won't fail).

Even better yet, Funcom should just focus all the budged available into Ragnar's projects.

If anything I see AoC as a quick cash grab plan in order to finance their next big project, TSW.

Of course Aoc is getting fixed and currently became into an awesome game, but I never saw AoC as the focus of Funcom's marketing. It was just there, as a cash grab, as a test of engine for tsw, etc. It was there, while TSW was secretly being created ever since 2002.

So yes, I am quite sure that TSW, with Ragnar Tornquist at helm, will be the best mmorpg ever released.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• NewtNewt Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Originally posted by maxy1214

This game is going to be great. Its nice to have another MMO that is made in modern timeline with a bit of magic involved.
    Funcom may have made a mistake with the early launching of AoC but that doesnt make them a crappy company. They wouldnt want to make the same mistake twice now would they?

Too late for that, they released Anarchy Online way too early with tons of bugs that were reported in Beta.  And they took forever to fix them.  some of them were pretty serious, their netcode was horrible and caused alot of rubber banding.

• QualeQuale Member Posts: 105

* A prominent psychologist says that lowered expectations is the key to happiness. Now that Funcom has allready shown you that it's a company with the amoral capacity for swindle, do you think maybe you can take down your enthusiasm 10-15 notches?

* You say you can't wait. Very well, if you really can't wait, then you do something radical as a consequence. Like breaking into the FC HQ for the code or hibernate on opiates. If you're not gonna do anything special at all, you can and will wait.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Quale
    * A prominent psychologist says that lowered expectations is the key to happiness. Now that Funcom has allready shown you that it's a company with the amoral capacity for swindle, do you think maybe you can take down your enthusiasm 10-15 notches?

* You say you can't wait. Very well, if you really can't wait, then you do something radical as a consequence. Like breaking into the FC HQ for the code or hibernate on opiates. If you're not gonna do anything special at all, you can and will wait.

It sounds like you are just being rude for the sake of being rude. "I cannot wait" is a figure of speech and you damn well know it. People always get excited over games when the company releases PR tidbits this early in the cycle. Stop acting like an angry idiot.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

It sounds like you are just being rude for the sake of being rude. "I cannot wait" is a figure of speech and you damn well know it. People always get excited over games when the company releases PR tidbits this early in the cycle. Stop acting like an angry idiot.

Wrong.

You're the one acting like an angry idiot. I never attacked anyone personally. You do and to top it off you forgot to take your brain for a spin first.

I offer something which may be the first step in a series of techniques that enables people not to respond to promises with the no questions asked format of a consumer automaton.

How did you contribute today?

• FomarThainFomarThain Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Leodious

What's wrong with the armor in AoC? It looks like something someone would actually wear when they run around killing stuff. It looks believable. I like that.

I love AoC and am playing now. But the above is the only complaint I currently have about the game. I like that it looks like someone in this setting would actually wear as well. Realistic and tough. However my problem is that everyone looks a little to much alike. And sometimes alot. Also this is compounded by the problem this causes (imo) wherein as your character develops he doesn't look a whole lot diffent than he has all along. Tortage included. It isn't about the look of the armor to me its the lack of diversity. I remember seeing a behind the scenes video before the game was lauched and one of the modelers was showing all the armor models in the game on models of player character lined up row after row (ie. lots of models; lots of armor). So I don't think it is a matter of it not being in game. I think it is a matter of some kind of limited drop tables or something like that, they maybe they haven't gotten around to addressing.

I know when I see higher level characters, like around 75 plus, the armor starts to look very cool in terms of style, diversity both as individual pieces and as sets. But once you get the sets everyone looks the same again. Yeah, I know this is the way the high game is with every other x, y, z MMO I guess where this level range is concerned I wish you could mix and match more instead of players looking like clones. I would really, really like this MMO, and others for that matter, to take a page from LotRO where you can "turn off" what armor is visible allowing for what ever you have underneath, whatever it may be, to show to instead. That seems like a great feature which I don't understand why more MMOs don't follow.

But yeah as to your comment above... I like the realistic way it looks as well, I just wish there was more diversity in regards to what you do find and equip.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by toddze

The only peson who needs to get a raise is Ragnar Tornquist.

AFter delivering the WIN of Longest Journey and the WIN of Dreamfall chapters, he is going to deliver the WIN in mmo form - The Secret World(after all this man was behind many innovations in Anarchy Online, so its assuring that TSW won't fail).

Even better yet, Funcom should just focus all the budged available into Ragnar's projects.

If anything I see AoC as a quick cash grab plan in order to finance their next big project, TSW.

Of course Aoc is getting fixed and currently became into an awesome game, but I never saw AoC as the focus of Funcom's marketing. It was just there, as a cash grab, as a test of engine for tsw, etc. It was there, while TSW was secretly being created ever since 2002.

So yes, I am quite sure that TSW, with Ragnar Tornquist at helm, will be the best mmorpg ever released.

Can I get some of those drugs your on? They sound like the best money can buy.

Whats TSW but just another money grub atempt for their next project? This is flawed logic due to your personal intrest in the concepts of a game, that will most likely never materialize. Ya maybe my logic is flawed too but  atleast their past supports my logic.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Dubhlaith  

Wrong.
    You're the one acting like an angry idiot. I never attacked anyone personally. You do and to top it off you forgot to take your brain for a spin first.
    I offer something which may be the first step in a series of techniques that enables people not to respond to promises with the no questions asked format of a consumer automaton.
    How did you contribute today?

I told a jerk they were a jerk, and that makes me feel better. I am not trying to contribute anything, per se; the article for this thread does that. We are discussing it. People are excited, and they have every right to be. You are being rude in assuming that they are automatons because they are interested in a game. This is a forum for talking about games we like or are interested in. That is precisely what we are doing. You seem like someone who hates Funcom and is trying to cloak it in intellectual affectation. And you are taking common colloquial sayings and taking them literally to make a point that did not need to be made in the first place, and thus sound very much the fool.

More to the point, it is not just your "points" that are rude, though they are, it is your manner. "Do you think maybe you can take down your enthusiasm 10-15 notches?" That is a rude way of saying what you mean. Your little story about breaking into Funcom and saying "you can and will wait" is an equally rude way to stating your point. So you are rude not only because you are saying things that do not need to be said because you assume the people you are talking to are too stupid to think critically (which, can I say, that if they are too stupid to think about the game critically, they are not going to listen to you in any case), but you are doing it in a way that is rude itself.

I do not like rude people. You are a rude person. I tell you that I think you are rude and that I do not like you. It makes me feel better to tell jerks they are jerks. Because I am here to talk about games, not argue with trolls...or whatever you are.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

I am none of those things. ^^ You are arguing against your own projection.

You are right in standing up, for yourself and to champion those whom you feel are being subjected to abuse.

I commend you for your motives, but you're barking up the wrong tree and in so doing you are becoming what you seek to confront.

Conclusion: Thread policing takes more than good intentions and you should now write a post arresting yourself for being abusive.

I will not respond to further posts from you regarding this matter as your derailment of the topic has gone more than far enough.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Baggs

[ Erling Ellingsen, Director of Communications for Funcom ]
    [ Lead Production Designer, Ragnar Tornquist ]

Thanks, but no thanks.

Wake me up if it runs flawlessly on most computers like AION and also has as much content as AION does.
    I used to hate Ncsoft's new "baby" but their newest patches (1.5.0.1+) made me change my mind completely on it.

Hrm, AION's amount of content is easily within reach. While I enjoy AION (pre-ordered collectors edition), it is *lacking* content, it certainly doesn't suffer from TOO MUCH lol. I feel for the Korean and Chinese players who had to suffer with the early versions. But I guess they tend to enjoy grinding much more than the western audience, so it might not be as bad as I would have thought for them.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

This alone makes this game win :)

Wake me up if it runs flawlessly on most computers like AION

You were not in the chinese closed/open beta phases then, I assume? :)

Originally posted by Baggs and also has as much content as AION does.

Going by the pure fact that its developed by Ragnar Tornquist,I see no problem in content.

I used to hate Ncsoft's new "baby" but their newest patches (1.5.0.1+) made me change my mind completely on it.

I'll take Funcom-occasionally-we-release-too-soon over NCSoft-we-don't-know-what-is-europe any time.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Every funcom game i've played has been worth the money I spent on them easily, not world-shatteringly good, but not a waste of time by any stretch - maybe I'm just lucky.

people need to whine less. AoC and AO were quality imo and I played AoC at launch, the key with launches is , don't rush, just relax and enjoy the funny bugs =p

As a games dev myself I have a lot more patience than the average consumer it seems, since I know how painful deadlines can be :)

-

Looking forward to this on the edge of my seat, everything seems to be in place, no levels, no classes, contemporary with mythological / insidious themes. ALL CHECK, PLEASE TAKE AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO MAKE IT WORTHY, PLEASE!

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I don't mind funcom, AoC was a decent game overall, it was just missing a few major components in the endgame such as working raids, city sieges and balance (gem stacking) which made everyone leave once they levelled up to a certain point.

I am keeping an eye on secret world because I will give anything that isn't generic fantasy a fair shot. As for the factions, I it will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I wouldn't mind some better sandbox features as in guilds make their own factions and choose where they want their HQ to be. Probably a hopeless dream at this point.

• StaticblueStaticblue Member Posts: 49

FuncoN?

No thx. Already got burnt once.  Tired of empty promises. :/

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Yuui

This alone makes this game win :)

I AGREE!  This, quite frankly, is the ONLY thing that would make me "forget" that FUNCOM's name is behind it as well. I'm interested in this game because of this man being lead production designer. However, my interest stems from my love of "The Longest Journey," and not necessarily AO. This guy.....can tell a story. I don't think lack of content will be a problem, nor will there be any lack for an engaging story.

Wake me up if it runs flawlessly on most computers like AION

You were not in the chinese closed/open beta phases then, I assume? :)

Originally posted by Baggs and also has as much content as AION does.

Going by the pure fact that its developed by Ragnar Tornquist,I see no problem in content.

I'll take Funcom-occasionally-we-release-too-soon over NCSoft-we-don't-know-what-is-europe any time.

The other thing that delights me, at this point anyway, is that finally we will begin to have a few threads WITHOUT the words, "looks like just another WoW clone" in them.  This is the second game I have seen in the past week, that appears to be nothing....nothing at all....like WoW. And that is, at the very least, a LITTLE exciting!

I still play WoW (among other games), but I am interested in seeing the MMO genre expand beyond that. I don't want WoW to go away, I just want some developers to have the balls (and enough MONEY to be willing to GAMBLE)  to take chances to explore BEYOND the borders of that style.  CHOICES.  I want to be able to play WoW, but I also want to be able to login and play some MMO that is ENTIRELY unlike WoW.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• zero0utzero0ut Member Posts: 7

let the beta testing begin!

With Funcom it can never be too early or too often!

• XantheousXantheous Member Posts: 121

I hope they don't fuck this one up. I really would like to play it.

• VargurVargur Member CommonPosts: 143

The concept of this game looks pretty cool, and for once it seems that a game is learning from DAoC and putting three factions into their game. I must admit I got burned by AoC like pretty much everyone else, but if people look at the track records of MMO developers, then no games are going to be worth playing in the future.

The big question is how playable is this game. AoC looked awesome, but when duels become all about circlestrafing around your opponent, it falls fast. Add the poor zone design which lead to all kinds of accusations of spawncamping and unncessesary drama, and there are certainly issues Funcom needs to address.

All in all, the concept intrigues me, but time will tell if Funcom is able to live up to the hype.