Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Status Update

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh spoke recently with WAR producer Destin Bales about the current status of the game and what Mythic is working for for the future.

Producer Destin Bales of Warhammer Online was on hand at PAX this year to provide a brief update of the game and what Mythic Studios has been doing. No big reveals, no sneak peeks, but a lot about their one-year anniversary and what they were doing for it. At PAX, they had an area with comfortable couches and coffee tables with the WAR logo on them, covered with buttons, which disappeared quickly into swag bags.

"It's our one-year anniversary and we are celebrating all through the month of September," said Destin, "and the Wild Hunt is the largest live event we've ever done."

Read the Status Update

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

"Things look rosy for Mythic and we gamers can hope for better and yet better things to come."

LIES. Pure PR BS.

Also:

Perhaps someone could explain why they take the time and effort to create new instances, only to rip them back out of the game after a week. The 'Hunt' event lasted a week, not all month.

They have created two new scenarios and a new dungeon which are no longer in the game. Idiocy.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Maleus666Maleus666 Member UncommonPosts: 75

So eeerr...ok, but what are the news for the future? Really, Warhammer is needing something very cool to bring back the  players. 

Go to hell!

Originally posted by Maleus666

So eeerr...ok, but what are the news for the future? Really, Warhammer is needing something very cool to bring back the  players. 

Oh, they have 'lots of cool things coming' they just can't tell us yet.

Yeah, right.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Maleus666

Nothing can bring back the players. The engine will never be fixed or they would have already long ago.

The only thing that is left and coming out of Mythic is cheap carrot after cheap carrot. In a desperate attempt to keep the current players in the game and paying their monthly fees as long as possible.

You will never see an expansion pack nor will the other capital cities ever be added to the game again. Simply because they don't have enough subs anymore and sure as hell EA not gonna give them any funding for that.

They are just squeezing out a smuch as posssible from the current left players to cut their losses.

Cheers

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Nothing can bring back the players. The engine will never be fixed or they would have already long ago.
    The only thing that is left and coming out of Mythic is cheap carrot after cheap carrot. In a desperate attempt to keep the current players in the game and paying their monthly fees as long as possible.
    You will never see an expansion pack nor will the other capital cities ever be added to the game again. Simply because they don't have enough subs anymore and sure as hell EA not gonna give them any funding for that.
    They are just squeezing out a smuch as posssible from the current left players to cut their losses.
    Cheers

Quoted For astounding Truthiness.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Is that a new record in how fast a game had to provide hirelings to make grouping for a dwindling population more feasable?

GOOOOO WAR.

• AoannAoann Member Posts: 1

I am not sure there is anyway to fix this game. It went /fail so very quickly. WTG MYTHIC!

Aoann
    there can be only one.http://covenantofthephoenix.com/

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Is that a new record in how fast a game had to provide hirelings to make grouping for a dwindling population more feasable?
    GOOOOO WAR.

hirelings are NPCs? I thought it was just their term for mentoring?

• fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Cheers

Quoted For astounding Truthiness.

I cant believe I am saying this. But I also agree. All the time and effort they put in new content they can fix issues. But they want new people to come to the game instead of keeping the ones they have.

• DextranDextran Member Posts: 5

I also agree with that.  Was in there from the beta an omg it was fun...hoping there was a real fix coming soon...

I did my part and retry it once more with the welcome back offer they had some time ago, and this time I stopped the account for good.  Never going back there.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by Bodeus

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

GOOOOO WAR.

hirelings are NPCs? I thought it was just their term for mentoring?

Reading comprehension FTW. You are correct. Snarlingwolf is not.

Yay for finding drama where there is none!

(Mind you, I don't play WAR and don't care. But really, if you're not going to comprehend what you read, you shouldn't post about it.)

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• battleaxebattleaxe Member UncommonPosts: 158

So much potential, so little delivered.

• Markus55Markus55 Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Dextran

I also agree with that.  Was in there from the beta an omg it was fun...hoping there was a real fix coming soon...

I did my part and retry it once more with the welcome back offer they had some time ago, and this time I stopped the account for good.  Never going back there.

It's a real shame. One year ago I was so excited. I had two accounts in our household and it started off to be a good month (September) but by early January I had cancelled both accounts. :(

I keep coming back to threads like this to look for a ray of hope because there was a lot I enjoyed about the game! It's a crying shame that it went in the direction it did...

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

I wanted to repost what I wrote in another thread as it's just as fitting here and I really didn't get any feedback, considering it was perhaps posted a bit too late in the original thread. (Sorry for the wall of text.)

Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr

Well, I was going to start my post off with a quote from one of you above posters, but with there being so many posts that touched upon items that were quote worthy, it becomes a moot point. Matter of fact, I might go as far as saying this thread is probably one of the most productive, constructive and/or purposeful I've seen at this site. However, I would like to quote the following from Jeff Skalski of Warhammer, from the interview:

"Will players concerns be addressed? Of course not 100% completely, but I want to be more transparent with our community with where we're at and where we're going. I play the game and I'm still not fully satisfied. We have more work to do."

For months now, I've been preaching the importance of the above statement (in regards to being more transparent with the community) to anyone at Mythic that would listen, including a couple of long winded letters to the powers that be. Unfortunately, their follow through in that one critical area may have come a little too late. I believe that of all of Mythic's blunders with this game, that may have been the absolute, most catastrophic. In business, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with your customers thoughts, wants, needs, wishes, etc., it's never a good thing to ignore them without acknowledging the fact that at the very least that customer matters and that you are at least somewhat concerned with their needs. This is all the more important when the very success of your business is riding on the success of one sole product and your customer base is directly held together and dependent upon the content of their fellow customers.

It kind of reminds me of when I used to work for the government and most of those around me would walk around with their nose stuck up in the air due to the fact that they held a position within an important function of the government, yet it seemed that I was one of very few employees there that would shrug my shoulders with the thought of the job I held, feeling that it wasn't my job that defined who I am. Needless to say I left that job amidst many people telling me I was stupid for giving up that job, even though I was working with a bunch of pompous people I couldn't stand and hating the work that I did. Point being, with the way Mythic seemed to treat it's customers, I couldn't help but envision those at Mythic walking around with their noses stuck up in the air after acquiring the rights to the WAR ip, all the while thinking that they were more important to the equation than they actually were.

Maybe I'm completely wrong in feeling that way. Maybe that wasn't it at all, but I am a paying customer however and Mythic has in some way caused me to feel this way. Like I said, I may be way off the mark, but for some very strange reason, players concerns, complaints and cries for answers, for the longest time seemed to fall on deaf ears at Mythic. Be it the rumored stubbornness of Mark Jacobs or maybe those he answered to, none of us outside of the Mythic family truly knows.

What I do know however, is that you don't go from having close to a million plus subs, down to around 200k as fast as they have without something very truly wrong outside of the typical MMO growing pains. Most of you I'm sure have been asking the very same thing I have been the last couple of months, "how do you screw something up THAT BADLY?" It is quite apparent given some thought, that Mythic may know a thing or two about game development for the most part IMO, but severely lacks in the area of business development. As I know from reading many posts, I'm not the only one that has shaken my head at some of the business decisions Mythic has made during the last year of this game. I can't ever remember doing that with Blizzard in regards to their direction with WoW as a business model, while personally, I despise that game.

Furthermore, when a large portion of your customer base has been giving you feedback that your Chef's Special tastes terrible, you don't keep feeding your customers the same dish thinking the recipe is fine. This is exactly what has happened with class balancing in WAR as players have been screaming for months that the game has needed balancing and yet we were witness to other severely less important areas of the game being addressed while balancing issues were either being pushed to the back of the line or sometimes getting no mention at all. That (pardon the pun) is a recipe for disaster and if this game does fail, it will become the poster child alongside SWG as to what not to do with an MMO.

I've been a WAR sub from the very beginning and still have an active account currently as my intent was to stay on until Aion's release. I truly love the WAR ip and like a lot of others have had more fun in this game, specifically with RvR than with any other MMO I've played to date. I believe that the game has made some good progress as of late and I do hope it not only survives, but succeeds. It certainly will have a huge mountain to climb. It can start that steep climb by excepting that some of their customers do have some valid points and great ideas that could help make the slope a little less slippery. If only Mythic could put their pride in check and reach out their hand to grasp those trying to help them up.

Your fail comment, failed.

Originally posted by Markus55

It's a real shame. One year ago I was so excited. I had two accounts in our household and it started off to be a good month (September) but by early January I had cancelled both accounts. :(

I keep coming back to threads like this to look for a ray of hope because there was a lot I enjoyed about the game! It's a crying shame that it went in the direction it did...

So true. If only they had let it cook another year, it might have been worthy of all the excitement.

Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr

I wanted to repost what I wrote in another thread as it's just as fitting here and I really didn't get any feedback, considering it was perhaps posted a bit too late in the original thread. (Sorry for the wall of text.)

<snipped>

Good post.

I think the attitude can be summed up in two words: Mythic seconds.

No need to look for a clearer sign of the devs' arrogance and contempt for their customers.

• beversgerdbeversgerd Member Posts: 1

MMORPG.com has always been a cheerleader for the mmo's (my opinion) but this is a little over the top even for you guys.

The concept that they were able to be at PAX without having to avoid angry players amazes me. (just look at the responses to this article to see the angry reaction of players)

Why not talk about the serious issue the game has (or at least many servers have) with population balance. People leaving the game in droves after the 1.3.1 patch (purely based on how many of my friends have left and reading the official forums. To the best of my knowledge WAS does not release subscriber numbers). Current subscriber numbers.

Reports like this makes it hard to see MMORPG.com as anything but a place where games can push their special Kool-aid.

I have been hoping for some news to come out of MMORPG.com on WAR and all I get is a press release.

I do understand that it is difficult to bite the hand that feeds you but how can you be so calm about a game that so many of the people who are still playing are so upset with without doing an article about that.

I have tried my best to follow the forum posting rules in this post.

Originally posted by beversgerd

I do understand that it is difficult to bite the hand that feeds you but how can you be so calm about a game that so many of the people who are still playing are so upset with without doing an article about that.
    I have tried my best to follow the forum posting rules in this post.

I know what you mean. I eventually got banned from Warhammer Alliance. I just broke from reading their 'don't worry - be happy' announcements. i just couldn't take it any more.

Sometimes you just have to yell "Shenanigans!"

No gaming site has journalistic integrity. They are cheap advertising for the companies.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

I honestly see two options for WAR:

1) Die in the success or failure of SWTOR. - either way, makes WAR, EA and the RPG mash-up group look bad.
    Or
    2) Figure out a viable F2P Western/European module that will actually work.

That's essentially the only thing they can do. Mediocre improvements and delusional changes (armor looks? seriously? least of you worries here, Mythic) will not bring players back after the (even more mass exodus then we’ve seen) Aion launch.
    Time to put up, shut-up or shut down.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

"" No big reveals, no sneak peeks, but a lot about their one-year anniversary and what they were doing for it"" ...laughing/crying?

""We're rolling out the 8th Ultima Online expansion, the Stygian Abyss and it's got a new career, Gargolyes.""   ...COOL!!!! huh???

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Hrica

"" No big reveals, no sneak peeks, but a lot about their one-year anniversary and what they were doing for it"" ...laughing/crying?
    ""We're rolling out the 8th Ultima Online expansion, the Stygian Abyss and it's got a new career, Gargolyes.""   ...COOL!!!! huh???

Next thing they'll announce is that they helped Bioware create a new dungeon like instance in their MMO.

Mythic need to look up "Content" and understand it's meaning... without it games die horribly. Like WAR, there's been nothing new (we knew [see what i did there] they'd add in the classes they PROMISED as from launch - that wasn't new). 

The engine is awful though... i mean it isn't bad to look at considering the look of WAR they went for, but... it handles like Rosie O'Donnell on ice skates trying to eat a pizza while raping the mermaid man.

Don't worry next month we'll probably have a "live event" celebrating WAR's 13th Live Event... it bloody feels as if that's all the game does....

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Took them a while to see the writing on the wall.

Ppeople had to leave in droves and de-populate most servers before they came-up with "focus groups" ...too little too late for those of us who already experienced their arrogant disregard of valid concerns for months while they wasted time on fluff and junk no one wanted.

I wish them better luck with the next batch of suc... err, gamers.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

Yeah, I got upset when i realized their answer for unbalanced server populations was to make the classes on the cronically underpopulated side OP.

I think Aion had a much more logical answer, too many Asmodians? NO more can be made till the population balances out. That seems like it will keep the population alot more balanced, but hey what do i know, I'm not a high and mighty mythic game designer. I'm just a voter who took my wallet elsewhere.

• LogothXLogothX Member Posts: 245

GEE WILLICKERS, WAR looks to be looking up now! WELL I guess I'll cancel my Fallen Earth sub and go back... Not going to happen. Farewell, War: you won't be missed.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

I played for the first brokien month. It seems in the eleven months after they have accomplished...nothing. 

Tier 4 STILL needs work? Are they for real?

Very, very, sad.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end