Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Predict in how many years they'll be able to add truly random quests in MMOs...

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

I mean go to a quest giver, get a completely unique, interesting quest and it's different for every player. It's probably way too ambitious, but never say never you know.

Comments

• PsythosPsythos Member UncommonPosts: 124

Magic 8 ball says yes to 10 years.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Random quest givers have been available for quite some time now. I remember AO had them, and that's a 7 years old game.

The "interesting" part is highly subjective. Can you elaborate a bit further on that?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm good luck with that they would need say 100 quest generator /npc quest giver etc probably can be done but not by a small company

• UknownAspectUknownAspect Member Posts: 277

Many games have had the BS quest givers that just gave you a random gathering quest or killing quest.  NPCs would just cycle through a preset list.

SW:TOR is going for the choose your own adventure type, but it's not truly random it's story driven.

But if you want randomness to the point where no quest will be given twice, I garuntee you that it is impossible to satisfy the playerbase of 1 server, considering thousands of players play these games, and most games these days boast being able to have over 2000 quests in the whole game.

So the answer to your question is either, 1) It's already happened or, 2) It will never happen.

imo, ofc

MMOs played: Horizons, Auto Assault, Ryzom, EVE, WAR, WoW, EQ2, LotRO, GW, DAoC, Aion, Requiem, Atlantica, DDO, Allods, Earth Eternal, Fallen Earth, Rift
    Willing to try anything new

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Defining "interesting" is pretty crucial for this thread to have much discussion.

As mentioned before, Anarchy Online already did random quests years ago.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Tutu2

I mean go to a quest giver, get a completely unique, interesting quest and it's different for every player. It's probably way too ambitious, but never say never you know.

Interesting and unique? No. Never. (There, I said it).

Not a great mechanic, anyway, I'd say. I'd much rather see player-created quests developed.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

In a game that mainstream will care about 20 years.   As for any body else it's already here.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by Tutu2

Anarchy Online had the most unique generator of quests that you could adjust yourself. You speak of "unique and interesting". Explain what you mean by this and what you would prefer, OP.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

What for?

If you are supposed to complete 576202 quests, every quest will become repetitive and generic after a while, no matter wheter it is randomly generated, written or w/e.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Another thing I'd like to see is FEWER quests, but taking longer to complete (with appropriate reward). Now, I don't mean kill X*100 mobs, although that would be better than having 100 kill X mobs quests. Something like PQs, I guess, but not grindable.

I don't mind doing quests so much as I mind the incredibly dull travel time most of them require. Get a bunch of quests at town A, travel to quest zone B, turn in at town C. I despise doing a there-and-back-again quest, only to get ANOTHER one to the same place.

I'd also like chain quests to be marked clearly as such.

Also, I want forking quest chains where you can only choose one quest of a selection, so when leveling an alt, you can take a different choice. It seems likely that SWTOR will have this in place.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2