Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG is closing the underpopulated servers

Inat_miveaInat_mivea Star Wars Galaxies CorrespondentMember Posts: 249

You vets may want to take notice in case you ever plan on coming back:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=995148

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Account Holder,

Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that on October 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM PT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:

Corbantis

Europe-Infinity

Intrepid

Kauri

Kettemoor

Lowca

Naritus

Scylla

Tarquinas

Tempest

Valcyn

Wanderhome

Character creation will be disabled on the affected servers beginning September 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM PDT.

In accordance with the server closure date, the Free Character Transfer service has been extended through October 15. 2009. Between September 15, 2009 and October 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM PT all characters on the affected servers are eligible for a one way, one time Free Character Transfer* to any of the remaining thirteen (13) Star Wars Galaxies servers. After October 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM PT, any characters and their associated items and structures remaining on the identified servers being closed will no longer be accessible on your Star Wars Galaxies or Station Access account.

Please visit http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/freects/ for complete details on how to transfer your character using the Star Wars Galaxies Free Character Transfer Service.

We appreciate your loyalty and commitment to Star Wars Galaxies and value having you in the community. We hope that you will continue to play on one of the 13 thriving Star Wars Galaxies servers and look forward to sharing many more new and exciting Star Wars™ themed adventures with you in the coming months as we introduce the Chronicle Master System, Death Troopers, and the upcoming Galactic Civil War enhancements.

Server Closure FAQ

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment

*Terms and Conditions Apply:

In connection with the identified servers, Free Character Transfer Service will be available through 4:59 PM PDT on October 15, 2009. This "Free Character Transfer Service” only applies to a one-time/once per character move from an identified server to be closed to one of the remaining galaxy servers as determined by SOE in its sole and absolute discretion. All characters much be transferred to and from the same Station account.

Your character must be located on one of the original 10 ground planets at the time of your transfer request to perform a server transfer. The original 10 ground planets are Corellia, Dantooine, Dathomir, Endor, Lok, Naboo, Rori, Talus, Tatooine, and Yavin 4.

For purposes of this Free Character Transfer Service, the identified servers closing October 15, 2009 include: Corbantis, Intrepid, Kauri, Kettemoor, Lowca, Naritus, Scylla, Tarquinas, Tempest, Valcyn, Europe-Infinity and Wanderhome.

Valid destination servers include: Ahazi, Bloodfin, Bria, Chilastra, Eclipse, Europe-Chimaera, Europe-FarStar, Flurry, Gorath, Radiant, Shadowfire, Starsider, and Sunrunner.

To access the Free Character Transfer Service, you must login to Star Wars Galaxies with the character you would like to transfer. You will be notified that your character qualifies for the free character transfer service opportunity when you login. Eligible characters may also enter "/freects" to begin the transfer process. Only one character may be transferred at a time. Please read and respond carefully to each question and answer entry you type. All Character Transfers are considered final and cannot be reversed.

Free Character Transfer Service terms and limitations: Please be aware that Vendors and contents of Vendors will not transfer. Items equipped by the character (and/or contained within items equipped by the character) will transfer. Items in the character's inventory (and/or contained within items in the character's inventory) will transfer. Items in the character's bank (and/or contained within items in the character's bank) will transfer. Items in the character's datapad (and/or contained within items in the character's datapad) will transfer. Items that do not qualify as either "items equipped by the character" or "items in the character's datapad" as noted in the aforementioned terms, will not transfer.

Please note that any items that are connected to your in-game structures must be packed up with the structure(s) or they will not be transferred.

Character names are not guaranteed on galaxy-to-galaxy transfers. If the character's name has already been used on the Galaxy you wish to move to, you will be able to enter a new name in the field provided (subject to the terms and conditions of the Character Naming Policy).

Character transfers from one account to another are not part of the Free Character Transfer Service.

If you attempt to transfer characters in violation of these guidelines, restrictions, the Terms of Use for Star Wars Galaxies, the Software License and Limited Warranty agreement or the Rules and Policies (for instance, attempting to transfer characters from another person's account or to or from an account purchased by or for you for another person on which you are not the original registered user of that account), the characters will not be moved, your request will not be processed or approved, and your account(s) will be subject to review and appropriate disciplinary action taken.

Any characters that are not transferred before the October 15, 2009 server closure date will be removed from your character list.

Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts do not ensure continuous or error-free access, use or availability of any game content, feature, game-play or server and may change, modify, disable, suspend or remove any such content, feature, game-play or server at their sole discretion.

STAR WARS GALAXIES™ SERVER CLOSURE F.A.Q.

Which servers will be closing?

The following 12 servers will be closing on Thursday, October 15 2009:

- Corbantis

- Europe-Infinity

- Intrepid

- Kauri

- Kettemoor

- Lowca

- Naritus

- Scylla

- Tarquinas

- Tempest

- Valcyn

- Wanderhome

When will these 12 servers be closed?

These servers will be closing on Thursday, October 15, 2009, at 4:40 PM Pacific Time.

Why are you closing these 12 Star Wars Galaxies Servers?

The Free Character Transfer Service launched earlier this year with the intention of allowing players to transfer to servers with more active communities, creating a more vibrant and memorable Star Wars Galaxies gaming experience. The Free Character Transfer Service was a phenomenal success, leaving the less active servers in an undesirable position. In order to help streamline the current and new user experience, we have made the decision to close the less active servers and focus on the thriving Star Wars Galaxies servers.

Can I move my characters off of these servers?

Yes, you can move any character from the 12 identified servers up until Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM PT. Please see http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/freects/ for terms and conditions.

Will I be charged to move my characters from these servers?

No. If you take advantage of the Free Character Transfer Service before Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM PT, you will not be charged to transfer your characters to one of the 13 destination servers including:

- Ahazi

- Bloodfin

- Bria

- Chilastra

- Eclipse

- Europe-Chimaera

- Europe-FarStar

- Flurry

- Gorath

- Radiant

- Shadowfire

- Starsider

- Sunrunner

Where can I find out more information on the Free Character Transfer Service?

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/freects/

What if my account is inactive/closed but I want to move my characters off of these servers?

You must reactivate your account by visiting the www.station.sony.com and entering a valid credit card or Game Time card. Once your account is active, paid, and in good standing you will be able to transfer your character using the Free Character Transfer Service through October 15, 2009.

What happens if I am not able to transfer my characters from these servers before October 15th 2009, can I move my characters after October 15th 2009?

Beginning October 16th, 2009 at 12:01 AM PT you will be able to contact Customer Support and for the standard Character Transfer fee of $50.00 you will be able to schedule a transfer for your character, eligible structures and inventory.

Please be aware that the Character Transfer Service from closed servers does not guarantee that all inventory items will be transferred. Due to the unique nature of moving a character from a closed server, the Character Transfer Service may take additional time to process.

For more information on the Character Transfer Service visit: https://store.station.sony.com/cts/...ertransfers.jsp

What if I don’t want to change servers?

Unfortunately, if you’re on a server that’s slated to be closed you will have to make the move in order to continue playing Star Wars Galaxies.

I like playing the game by myself and don’t care how many players are on my particular server at a given time. Can you just leave me be and let me keep playing?

Sorry, but in an effort to improve the gameplay experience for everyone, all characters on the identified servers must be moved. We encourage everyone to take advantage of the Free Character Transfer Service before October 15, 2009 so that you can move your character at no charge.

Does this mean you’re shutting down Galaxies?

No, not at all. We have lots of new content and updates planned for Galaxies and remain committed to making the game an enjoyable and engrossing experience. The server closure is an effort to improve the gameplay experience for all of our players.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Inat_mivea

Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that Sony Online Entertainment will close 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:

You gotta wonder who the **edit** proof reads their press releases. Overwhelming success huh? lol, If the FCTS was truly an overwhelming success I'd think they'd be keeping the servers OPEN or opening new ones. SoE has a funny way of defining "success" I guess.

PS...I posted this already

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Inat_mivea

Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that Sony Online Entertainment will close 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:

You gotta wonder who the **edit** proof reads their press releases. Overwhelming success huh? lol, If the FCTS was truly an overwhelming success I'd think they'd be keeping the servers OPEN or opening new ones. SoE has a funny way of defining "success" I guess.

They just have the rule of using the two words "overwhelming success" in every announcement they do, and that was probably the most suitable place to fit them in this time

Originally posted by Teiraa 
    They just have the rule of using the two words "overwhelming success" in every announcement they do, and that was probably the most suitable place to fit them in this time

LOL! I need to try that...

Due to the overwhelming success of your analysis, I too will begin claiming even the greatest of my life's failures to be overwhelming successes.

• My 401k now vs. 2 years ago = overwhelming success! 
    • My recent car accident = overwhelming success! 
    • Buying my house for 3x's its current value = overwhelming success!
    • 0-3 start for the football team I'm coaching = overwhelming success!

Hmmm...I do feel better :P

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Muahahaha, this only confirms what we all know about this game. Now Lets close the second half!

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

And the end begins. Closing down servers is always the sign that the game is on its last legs and the company will soon shut it down. They lie and say that isn't what will happen but it always is. Every MMO I've played that eventually got shut down started by closing servers first.

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

13 more to go then lol.

also say good bye to my MCH. its on corbantis. and no you can't have my stuff its getting deleted lol.

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108

0-3 start for the football team I'm coaching = overwhelming success!

I feel ya.  Mine had their first game against the best team in the league this past weekend.  First two drives started with a sack followed by a fumble (second drive my qb actually handed the ball off to the DE).  So I guess 40-12 thrashing = overwhelming sucess (for the other team).

BOT, this looks like the first nail in the coffin of SWG. 

Originally posted by Raltar

And the end begins. Closing down servers is always the sign that the game is on its last legs and the company will soon shut it down. They lie and say that isn't what will happen but it always is. Every MMO I've played that eventually got shut down started by closing servers first.

EXACTLY!!! 

This is FAR from an "overwhelming success"...this is finally the admittance of failure by SoE...they failed at STAR WARS...Jar Jar Binks couldn't **edit**-up Star Wars...but SoE could lol.

• JatwhalJatwhal Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Raltar

EQ2 hasn't shutdown since merging servers. It's been what 2-3 years ?  Hel they just rolled out a new expansion!

I would like to state that in no way shape or form that anything I receive from SOE influences my opinion about SWG or their company. I’m pretty much a typical average player enjoying the game.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

If anything merging the servers tells you the game still has legs or they just wouldn't have bothered and closed down the game instead. The merger needed to happen even before the NGE because there was lots of empty servers that I remember one of my character being stuck on.

Problem with the game though is it's just not fun anymore because they took what made it unique away which was it's potential as a sandbox mmorpg.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

They had too many servers anyways. They thought that 20 was needed, and the game never did well enough to warrant 20. I remember as far back as 2004 when I went to visit another server from Bloodfin I was amazed at how dead cnet was on this server. Even saw a Jedi Padi just chillin afk like it was nothing. Bout time they cleaned up the ghost towns.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Their will be a brief flurry of posts about how popular and active the game is, as the servers that remain open will have population increases from the fleeing refugess of the closing servers.

This will prove the game is an overwhelming success.

Then the populations will begin to dwindle on those servers as well.

Buh-bye SWG.

Originally posted by Varny

If anything merging the servers tells you the game still has legs or they just wouldn't have bothered and closed down the game instead. The merger needed to happen even before the NGE because there was lots of empty servers that I remember one of my character being stuck on.
    Problem with the game though is it's just not fun anymore because they took what made it unique away which was it's potential as a sandbox mmorpg.

Well obviously the game still has legs for now...and sure...a lot of us argued that this needed to happen LONG ago. None of that changes that this is the 1st time SoE appears to be throwing in the towel though.

No longer do they care to keep open servers for the possible Update that draws in hoards of players (new and old). No longer do they seem to feel "zombies" will bring in the horror fans they wanted. It's all too apparent that the GCW Update will likely be less than a draw as well...because...lets face it...if hopes were high, they wouldn't close 12 servers.

SoE has always been more interested in the players they didn't have...this is a sign (to me) that they have given up on them as well. SWG's days of trying to expand and attract are done.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Their will be a brief flurry of posts about how popular and active the game is, as the servers that remain open will have population increases from the fleeing refugess of the closing servers.
    This will prove the game is an overwhelming success.
    Then the populations will begin to dwindle on those servers as well.
    Buh-bye SWG.

Well there are some new games on the way that will help that along anyways. Soon I imagine the only one left playing will be Obraik on the one remaining SWG server, and it will be F2P or limited subscription.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• frozenvoidfrozenvoid Member Posts: 40

how can this be? there are more people playing than ever. especially thanks to badger's grouping tools.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Obvious it's about time, like others said they should have closed some servers years ago and merge the current pop. more closer together. I already thoughtand said  this would happen when the first time they announched the free server transfer, dunno about a half year ago?

I alway's wondered why they kept those pretty empty servers up, but then again it does show they didn't want to take away something even from the lowest pop. server before they could offer a decent character transfer.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

since i wont ever come back to this game, them removing my character from my character list due to not being subbed, will even more secure my position of not bothering to play this game ever. i wont have characters to play with lol. good riddance. thank you SOE.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• blackhawk432blackhawk432 Member UncommonPosts: 138

"Does this mean you’re shutting down Galaxies?

No, not at all. We have lots of new content and updates planned for Galaxies and remain committed to making the game an enjoyable and engrossing experience. The server closure is an effort to improve the gameplay experience for all of our players."

^ I think thats the same thing they told Old Yeller.    :(

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

"Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service"

I read that ther transfer service was in fact a success and people on the 12 underpopulated servers did in fact move to the 13 populated servers. How is that interpeted by vets as the game is a overwhelming success?

• Night_HawkeNight_Hawke Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Varny

Well obviously the game still has legs for now...and sure...a lot of us argued that this needed to happen LONG ago. None of that changes that this is the 1st time SoE appears to be throwing in the towel though.

No longer do they care to keep open servers for the possible Update that draws in hoards of players (new and old). No longer do they seem to feel "zombies" will bring in the horror fans they wanted. It's all too apparent that the GCW Update will likely be less than a draw as well...because...lets face it...if hopes were high, they wouldn't close 12 servers.

SoE has always been more interested in the players they didn't have...this is a sign (to me) that they have given up on them as well. SWG's days of trying to expand and attract are done.

that is why SWG never got better. If they focused on what they had and made it better those players they didn't have might have been attracted but instead they change everything and send the message that once your here we won't care anymore.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Gutboy

"Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service"

I read that ther transfer service was in fact a success and people on the 12 underpopulated servers did in fact move to the 13 populated servers. How is that interpeted by vets as the game is a overwhelming success?

nvm.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

A "What If" of an interview about this...

Interviewer:

We heard that SWG will be shutting down servers, could you explain why the decision was made to do so?

SOE:

Of course and I'm happy you asked that hard question, after all shutting down servers seems to always mean bad things are happening and that is far from the truth. Star Wars Galaxies is doing better than ever. We implemented the Free Character Transfer Service early this year and its success was beyond what we hoped for. It was so successful we extended, not once but twice this year.

Interviewer:

It is always good to hear of success, so getting back to the question, why are the servers being shut down?

SOE:

The Free Character Transfer Service was so phenomenally successful …

Interviewer:

Ah, how phenomenally successful was it?

SOE:

The Free Character Transfer Service was so phenomenally successful that players left “the less active servers in an undesirable position. In order to help streamline the current and new user experience, we have made the decision to close the less active servers and focus on the thriving Star Wars Galaxies servers.”

It was a tough call, but we believe we made the right one.

Interviewer:

So the FCTS was the reason for shutting down the 12 servers?

SOE:

Absolutely, and now players will have a more exciting and fun time being in the transferred populated servers due to the most excellent success of the Free Character Transfer System. In fact we are going to be releases some cool and exciting content soon. Its meant to be a secret, but why not tell you, we're going to be adding in Zombies, which this is an awesome time for Zombie content, there are a lot of Zombie movies coming out and...

Interviewer:

Ah Zombies right, we already covered that. Getting back to the servers, historically speaking server merges...

SOE:

Correction, we are not merging servers nor have we done so with Star Wars Galaxies.

Interviewer:

Okay, historically speaking the shutting down of servers has been due to low amounts of paying subscribers, which would be of low player population. Is this the case with SWG? Does SWG actually have low numbers of paying subscribers?

SOE:

The number of subscribers was not part of the consideration for the decision.

Interviewer:

Whatever, so does SWG have a low subscriber base?

SOE:

Sorry but I am not allowed to comment on that. It is Sony Online Entertainment's policy to not disclose subscriber numbers.

Interviewer:

Fine, is SWG growing in subscribers?

SOE:

That is obvious, the remaining servers are growing in size, even as we speak.

Interviewer:

I meant SWG in general terms, not of specific servers.

SOE:

Oh, Star Wars Galaxies in general? Star Wars Galaxies is doing great, better than ever!

Interviewer:

Moving right along ... the shutting down of servers is often seen as a precursor of closing a game. Is SWG going to be closing down anytime soon or during the release of your competitor's title?

SOE:

Could you please rephrase the question? Our targeted demographic of Star Wars Galaxies is unlikely to know what “precursor” means.

Interviewer:

Ugh, is SWG shutting down soon?

SOE:

“No, not at all. We have lots of new content and updates planned for Galaxies and remain committed to making the game an enjoyable and engrossing experience. The server closure is an effort to improve the gameplay experience for all of our players.”

Interviewer:

I know that is from the FAQ, I was hoping for a straight answer from you.

SOE:

No

Interviewer:

No as in “No, SWG will be running for years to come,” or “No, you will always give me a spin?”

SOE:

Yes

Interviewer:

Ok I think we're done here...

SOE:

Since we are coming to the end of this wonderful interview, I would like to chime in that we have some exciting content coming soon to celebrate the beyond our greatest expectations of the Free Character Transfer Service. Not only are there going to be cool Zombies, but also big monsters in space. Rawr!

Interviewer:

I would like to thank you for taking the time with us for our show and may I hope to never do another interview with you.

SOE:

Glad to have been here, looking forward to another interview.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

priceless post Dracus.. priceless heheh

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
    Originally posted by Dracus

A "What If" of an interview about this...

Interviewer:

Fine, is SWG growing in subscribers?
    SOE:

That is obvious, the remaining servers are growing in size, even as we speak.

Whole thing was EPIC, but that was the BEST line of them all lol!!! Funny! Clever! Loved it :D

Something I find troubling on the "official forums" is the people saying "I saw this coming" or "If you didn't see this coming, you're an idiot"...correct me if I'm wrong, but, didn't SoE themselves say there were NO PLANS to close the Transfer From servers?

Going with that as the "Official word"...many people on these small, dead, soon to be closed servers, have done a TON to band together and create smaller communities. They didn't jump to Starsider just because FCTS was here...they stayed behind, foolishly IMO, but they stayed behind to rebuild what they could of their server.

They've wasted months building new cities, new guilds, new friendships...they didn't do it because they're morons...they did it because they were told by SoE that their server, despite FCTS, would NOT be closing. They've missed their chance to claim land on the Transfer To servers during the House Pack-up event. Again...these players were told they would NOT be forced to move, so rebuilding really wasn't a "stupid thing" for them to do.

In fact, it wasn't until very recently that SoE (Linda I believe) let it slip that FCTS was just the "first step".