Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 SERVERS CLOSING ON OCTOBER 15, 2009

TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that on October 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM PT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:

o Corbantis

o Europe-Infinity

o Intrepid

o Kauri

o Kettemoor

o Lowca

o Naritus

o Scylla

o Tarquinas

o Tempest

o Valcyn

o Wanderhome

Character creation will be disabled on the affected servers beginning September 15, 2009 at 4:00 AM PDT.

In accordance with the server closure date, the Free Character Transfer service has been extended through October 15. 2009. Between September 15, 2009 and October 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM PT all characters on the affected servers are eligible for a one way, one time Free Character Transfer* to any of the remaining thirteen (13) Star Wars Galaxies servers. After October 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM PT, any characters and their associated items and structures remaining on the identified servers being closed will no longer be accessible on your Star Wars Galaxies or Station Access account.

Please visit http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/freects/ for complete details on how to transfer your character using the Star Wars Galaxies Free Character Transfer Service.

We appreciate your loyalty and commitment to Star Wars Galaxies and value having you in the community. We hope that you will continue to play on one of the 13 thriving Star Wars Galaxies servers and look forward to sharing many more new and exciting Star Wars™ themed adventures with you in the coming months as we introduce the Chronicle Master System, Death Troopers, and the upcoming Galactic Civil War enhancements.

Server Closure FAQ

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment

Link 1, link 2

Not that many/any of us are surprised...in fact, I'm sure most of us feel it's about damn time. And...what exactly is that opening sentence about? "Overwhelming success"??? An empty server is a sign of success to SoE?! Odd.

Comments

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Success of the transfer.

Not surprise really seeing that TOR gona release soon...

RIP Orc Choppa

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Even though I would never play SWG ever again, it is sad to hear that my home server of Corbantis is closing.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by TUX426

Due to the overwhelming success of the recent Free Character Transfer Service, we want to inform you that on October 15, 2009, at 5:00 PM PT, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) will close the following 12 Star Wars Galaxies servers:

How awesome is that wording.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

With my b-day Oct 16, it's like the best gift ever. Another blow to SOE...no matter how they spin it. You don't cut down on servers if you can afford them and are popped.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I think if translated to wookie it means "I see new and returning players everyday"

• BenDeeBenDee Member Posts: 4

This is for the best really. Only thing tho, hope not everybody left on those servers are gonna go on Starsider... Its getting laggy lately due to overpop... Did I just say overpop on a SWG server!?

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Obviously it's doing better than ever!

• DrChickenDrChicken Member Posts: 263

Looks like my home server of Lowca has also been dismantled. :(

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Goodbye Lowca.  I already jumped ship to Bria, but I will miss the community and good times that was shared on Lowca. 

They probably should close all but a few servers to be honest.  If only they would have listened to the players and opened a precu server...

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

About time, but still too many servers left.

This is something the vets can go on whining about for another 6 years on their forum.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by rashhero

With my b-day Oct 16, it's like the best gift ever. Another blow to SOE...no matter how they spin it. You don't cut down on servers if you can afford them and are popped.

mm not sure when most of those game were released they used older tech now say a server back then could play 500 player smoothly ,with todays tech and new microsoft toy (no it s not in w7 )being released soon  instead of 500 player per server it will probably be 10000 per server 

so why would they pay electricity etc for 45 server when given the same amount of player 13 server can do the job

i dont think we ll ever see insane amount of server like we did in the past tech was crappy ,we were all noob<

i bet they would probably have 1 rp server ,1 pvp server and elite servewr if they could

its probably game maker aim to have all player on the same server ,but server techno is still not  there yet soon tho

maybe when cataclysm is ready ms toy will be ready too imagine only 5 server instead of 50

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

wow... that's really sad actually. altho i have no desire to return to the game it was always sort of comforting knowing that my character still existed and is just patiently waiting for some miracle un-nge before he's called out of limbo to join the community again. i guess this actually just makes it final that the game is dead to me.

/tiphat kettemoor

peace.

Originally posted by drbaltazar

mm not sure when most of those game were released they used older tech now say a server back then could play 500 player smoothly ,with todays tech and new microsoft toy (no it s not in w7 )being released soon  instead of 500 player per server it will probably be 10000 per server 

Are you on coke? EQ1 ran 2k pop servers fairly smooth.

• VolvinoVolvino Member UncommonPosts: 79

I think that it is good news for the ones playing Star Wars Galaxies, but for the ones who are currently not playing Star Wars Galaxies this is very bad. The reason why it’s bad is that the non-subscribers don’t have the opportunity to collect all their valuable stuff and transfer their character(s).

One should search the internet for a better operator with a better version of the game.

If one do so they will once again find happiness.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Good bye Kettemoor and Naritus.  My 1st and 3rd servers.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Good new I just hope they don't allow transfers to Bria and that because the lag is bad enough. I don't get why SWG has always been so laggy but I guess it's cause of all the items in the game which has gotten outta control since all this loot craze has come in.

Was hoping though that they'd merge all the EU servers together into Farstar.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I was going to say, back in the day the Merlin server in DAOC routinely carried 2500+ people and my own MLF was a steady 1700 or so.

Nothing like EVE's 45K+ of course, but then again, that's not really one box now is it.

Sad to see any MMO spiral downhill, but with 13 servers they still have quite a bit of life left in them, at least until TOR comes out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I was going to say, back in the day the Merlin server in DAOC routinely carried 2500+ people and my own MLF was a steady 1700 or so.

Nothing like EVE's 45K+ of course, but then again, that's not really one box now is it.

Sad to see any MMO spiral downhill, but with 13 servers they still have quite a bit of life left in them, at least until TOR comes out.

That's what makes EvE so great though. A cluster of servers to service one world. Everyone can interact with one another.  If other companies just had the balls to attempt such a thing, you'd get a LOT more player interaction and MMO feeling.

Not saying every game can setup a cluster for one world, some just have too many subs, but you could certainly reduce the number of worlds. Maybe one or two per coast of the US, depending on the games popularity.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by Gravez

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I think if translated to wookie it means "I see new and returning players everyday"

lol that was damn funny. 

But I agree with Terranah, it's sad to see the once great Lowca wither and die like this.

• jakfoxjakfox Member Posts: 50
    Originally posted by arctarus

Success of the transfer.
    Not surprise really seeing that TOR gona release soon...

Don't even blame this on the transfer, the devs hung themselves with an almost unplayable game, constant back stabs to the general player base, and content that no one has asked for, or wants.

Server merges brought the people close enough and we all knew it was a matter of time before the servers shut down.  with TOR getting closer and closer to devlopment, Lucas Arts clearly sees the burden SWG presents.  Unfortunately most SWG players can not.

The game is really, really, going down the toilet, due to one bad desission after another

and btw,

One or two servers of precu SWG could fit the entire population of SWG on it quite easily.

Originally posted by Kyleran

lol the  number guys is not important its the comparo 

take you 2500 then  now they can probably take 25000 instead so no more need for 10 server of 2500 when their new server can handle a lot more

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

so why would they pay electricity etc for 45 server when given the same amount of player 13 server can do the job
    i dont think we ll ever see insane amount of server like we did in the past tech was crappy ,we were all noob<
    i bet they would probably have 1 rp server ,1 pvp server and elite servewr if they could
    its probably game maker aim to have all player on the same server ,but server techno is still not  there yet soon tho
    maybe when cataclysm is ready ms toy will be ready too imagine only 5 server instead of 50

I think it is a mix between better servers and less players. 'The gamne is sliding slowly into oblivion.

They really can't stand a chanse against Bioware here. To me it seems like SOE is pooling their resources to upcoming games and to EQ1 & 2. The rest will they just keep running but do very little updates on, and merge servers saves money as you pointed out.

The game tech is ready to have all players on a single server, Eve has done it for years. You just have to plan for it when you make the game.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Goodbye Kauri!  /salute /playstaps  You were the first MMO server I ever played on and by far the best.  I shall never forget our game forum mantra, "Kauri...we know drama."  God the fighting on the forums and the general hate amongst players was great because in the end even though we fought like cats and dogs I think we really enjoyed the game together.  The Rebel base on Lok set up by Yukmot, Wessik and others. (I helped lol)  Sadly I would like to take this whole game out back and do to it what I had to do to Old Yeller. =/

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

"We hope that you will continue to play on one of the 13 thriving Star Wars Galaxies servers"

Of those 13 servers, only 3 have a population capable of maintaining a community, the rest are utterly dead. Ghost towns at best, and have been for a very long time now.

I really don't understand why SOE feels the need to try and spin it like the game is "thriving" repeatedly, when those of us with even a modicum of logical thought already know otherwise. It hasn't won them back any substantial number of subs ever, when will they learn? Marketing is one thing, blatant disinformation is another.

Sad.

Originally posted by Loke666

I think it is a mix between better servers and less players. 'The gamne is sliding slowly into oblivion.

They really can't stand a chanse against Bioware here. To me it seems like SOE is pooling their resources to upcoming games and to EQ1 & 2. The rest will they just keep running but do very little updates on, and merge servers saves money as you pointed out.

The game tech is ready to have all players on a single server, Eve has done it for years. You just have to plan for it when you make the game.

yep your right for a giant like soe that released a new ps3 ,doing something like you say is peanut for them

This discussion has been closed.