Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you hyped about The Secret World?

Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

It seems to be that a lot of people were done with Funcom after the released an MMO such as Age of Conan. Age of Conan was an unfinished, terrible MMO to say the least. Although, it has improved significantly during the past few months.

Nevertheless, I'm hyped about The Secret World because I just saw a few trailers. It seems as if the game just touched my heart when I found out the setting was based in the real world. We can now live our lives in secret without anyone knowing.

I think I'm going to give Funcom a second chance, but, if this MMO sucks, then I'll be done with Funcom for LIFE!

Comments

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

I`m afraid it will be just another Hellgate Online... 

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Quite interested, but not hyped, tho i don't remember the last time i got hyped about a game.

Being another Hellgate? i doubt it based on the not too aboundant information, specially based on tornquist's interviews and the twitter Q/A, of course, we will have to wait and see once they start showing gameplay and more concrete information.

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108

I am pretty hyped about The Secret World.  I was on the fence until PAX but now I'm fully on board.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Curious but not hyped. I'll see for myself how good it is after its launched and they have a free trial.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

more FAILCOM crap? No thanks.

Noeone is hyped about more crap coming from the same place.. dont dream on it.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

No i am not hyped about the seceret world the reason, " Track Record, Track Record, Track Record " prove me wrong.

Jihad works both ways

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I don't think there's enough information out to by hyped no matter what. People get hyped way to early which is what leads to such anger when it's not what they dreamed it would become.

Also I doubt I'll ever be hyped about his since it is a Funcom project, probably won't ever try it either actually.

• CablespiderCablespider Member UncommonPosts: 272

The only thing I'm hyped about is more info. I won't go beyond the point of curiosity just yet.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I'm not Hyped on the game because there isn't enough information to be hyped.

I am hyped on the idea of a skill based game tho (Ultima Online was the greatest MMO imho in its first couple years.. as I say this is my opinion).  I have never been a fan of class/level based MMO's...

So when you put these two things together..

Game Information + skill based... I may not be hyped on the game at all.

I'd say I have hope... even tho Funcoms track record with MMO's isn't the greatest... they are at least doing what I have wanted someone to do (skill based!!).

Hopefully they can pull it off to a degree that skill based fans enjoy the game...  as its one of the most ignored segments of the market (yes even more ignored than pvp).

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

I'm interested in this game, and have hopes it will turn it great, buy i never get hyped about games anymore, i just wait and see if they will turn out to be somthing i like.

But for what information we do have, this game has caught my eye. =)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772

I'm excited to see what Funcom will do.

As Norwegians, as game developers, and as people with the history of AoC.

I just skimmed an article and it has EE talking about the game.

Strike one, for me.

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

I'd say I'm more hyped about the concept of what the game proclaims it can provide, rather than the game itself.  I'm sick to death of the quest and level grind fests that most MMOs give these days and I'm looking forward to a title that can provide a more open sandboxy feel to a world akin to what Ultima Online provided: a world without 'excel spreadhseet gameplay' (of course, within the context of computer gaming by which the very definition is calculated gameplay in and of itself) and predetermed character development paths & leveling.

While I have been a fan of the game concepts that Funcom has provided, their implementation of those game concepts has been less than exemplory.  For that reason, I am catiously hesitant about the title, but I am hyped about the concepts that the title claims it is delivering.  I am hoping it is successful enough for other MMO houses to break the mold as it appears TSW is trying to do from the extreme limited knowledge we know of it the title thus far.

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

This is one of the few games I am very interested in, but hype is not a word I would use to describe my interest.  I just hope funcom does a better job this time around.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Hyped about a game made by funcom?

No human in this planet can be that dumb to fall for it again...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm a little excited about it because it will be something different than the other mmos which is sorely needed.

1. Modern day mmo

2. No levels or classes

• MokweeMokwee Member Posts: 286

Ask the OP's question 1 year after they actually release the game since it will take at least that long to fix their mistakes and somehow squash the PR nightmare they will have because they will do the same exact things they did with AoC. Flase Advertising on the game box anyone?

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885

So far I ain't hyped, it has been too little information about the game that could possibly get me hyped. I'm interested in the game tho as it has a setting that I find interesting and since it is said to be skillbased that is a good thing. Time will show if I get hyped by this game, but knowing my self my hype won't go far. Few games have managed to hype me, specially MMOs as they seldom turns out the way the hype thinks they will. 

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

Like many others, I think there's too little info about the game to generate much hype, and it is made by Fucom, who doesn't exactly have a stellar record in game develoepment these days.

Maybe this time will be different, we'll see.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

Its FUNCOM

Be afraid - Be very afraid !

Dont belive one word that is said from the PR campaing.  Dont Pre-Order this one.  Remember AOC and DX10 and stay away until 5-6 months after release.  Then you can Try it out and see if it has delivered 1/10th of what was promised.

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

I'm hyped to know more information and see an example of gameplay and skills.

I was hyped up for SW:ToR before I saw the videos for it.. and now I don't want anything to do with it.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I wasn't there for AO launch, but from everything I read, it was one of the worst launches in MMO history.

I WAS there for AoC launch, and it was a disaster.  I don't think I had ever cancelled a MMO sub that fast.

They're 0/2 on MMO launches.  What informed person would buy TSW at launch?  I might give it a shot when they offer a free trial.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor .
    They're 0/2 on MMO launches.  What informed person would buy TSW at launch?  I might give it a shot when they offer a free trial.

X2. It sounds interesting but no way I would pre order or get too hyped about it unless I was a closed beta tester. At this point in it's development AoC sounded great also and we all know ho that turned out

I miss DAoC

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I've been a member of the Secret Word forums since May of 2007 when the site first launched, so you could say I am hyped. :)  Many newcomers don't know that there has been some ARG gameplay going on since they launched the forums back then, and a very cool community of people materialized around it.

What appeals to me most is the modern setting, and the use of real earth mythology/conspiracy theory.  These are subjects people talk about on the internet every day, so seeing how they can bring aspects of this into the game will be awesome. Think about stuff like Hollow Earth Theory, Atlantis, UFO's, Werewolves, vampires, underworld gangs, Illuminati, Knights Templar, ghosts, cryptozoology, etc.  As someone who is a fan of alternative worldviews and fringe subjects, I can tell you that there is virtually an endless amount of content to draw from.  It's a brilliant idea and they didn't have to license some IP to pull it off.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

I wasn't there for AO launch, but from everything I read, it was one of the worst launches in MMO history.
    I WAS there for AoC launch, and it was a disaster.  I don't think I had ever cancelled a MMO sub that fast.

Smart move, for me, I suppose I'll buy the game when it comes out and give funcom a second chance. I'm just deeply interested in the storyline, it has really intrigued me a lot. I just hope that The Secret World will last me for at least a few months before I quit.

It was like that for Age of Conan, a really fun game for about a month, then you just...quit.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Syno23

Smart move, for me, I suppose I'll buy the game when it comes out and give funcom a second chance. I'm just deeply interested in the storyline, it has really intrigued me a lot. I just hope that The Secret World will last me for at least a few months before I quit.
    It was like that for Age of Conan, a really fun game for about a month, then you just...quit.

R.Tornquist already talked about the AoC fail because of content(even outright stating that Aoc had content....but only for month), so I doubt he will do the very same mistake

Oh and people talking about track record: 2 out of 2 Ragnar's games have received world-wide critical praise and can easily be labeled as "being the best thing to come out in years", so yes, I am hyped and I see nor reason on why should I not be, considering so far Ragnar Tornquist delivered every time he was working on something. I just can't see on how could it be different this time.

Seriously, we have a man at the helm who could observe two launch-fails of Funcom from bystander's pov.Id say the chances for this game having a better launch are quite high.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON