Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over hyped ?

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Albos 
    Listen ignorant gamer!!!! rpg is not even an mmo is a 40hours +++ game you cant finish a rpg in 1 day, why not ask for a game that you allready have level cap no need for the day either? All I enjoy in a game is the progress I do, I tried wow in pirate server and thats why I dont play wow anymore the instant cap level killed the game for me... Now do you understand me or you still act dumb?

I wish I understood a tiny bit of what you just typed.

• Dante1313Dante1313 Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by Thrawl

website is mmorpg not mmo.com and guild wars dont have rpg aspect

I remember playing a necromancer. This was not roleplaying? You mean I really WAS a necromancer? Woah.

act dumb as much as you want you know what i ment and that is rpg = role playing game true but also means a game that takes you a certain amount of time to cap not 1-20 in a day or 2 and then play the game like a fps in pvp

Are you an idiot? RPG = Grinding now? The fact that you could get from 1-20 in a day was one of GW's shining parts. Grinding is pointless and a boring waste of time. Guild Wars eliminated the grind, and let people spend most of their time actually playing the game. If you ever even played Guild Wars, you would know the levels meant nearly nothing after Factions came out. Progression came in the form of collecting skills and rare items.

The reason why Guild Wars was able to eliminate the grind was because they had no monthly fee riding on the player being forced to play as long as possible. That is why you grind in other MMOs, it isn't because "thats an RPG!", it's to make you pay for as long as possible.

Listen ignorant gamer!!!! rpg is not even an mmo is a 40hours +++ game you cant finish a rpg in 1 day, why not ask for a game that you allready have level cap no need for the day either? All I enjoy in a game is the progress I do, I tried wow in pirate server and thats why I dont play wow anymore the instant cap level killed the game for me... Now do you understand me or you still act dumb?

Can i just say i play Runes of Magic too and its a good game.. But i also play Guildwars as well and you havent got a clue what a MMORPG stands for...

Guildwars has leveling to 20 yes because it evens the playing field for PvP and makes the game harder for PvE. Also you can play the game over and over without out leveling the monsters.

Guildwars has stats you add like Axe mastery, Magic, etc exactly like strength, wisdom, etc. But Guildwars took it one further you can up them or lower them to suit your characters needs.

And you say you don't progress in this game Guildwars is a Skills based game you must search the world as you play to gain newer better skills to get better at PvP or PvE. Then flesh out your skill sets which gives the game a tactical Advantage.. You get only 8 skill slots so you must actually think about what your going to do next, you know use your brain. Its designed that way to make it harder and more fun similar to Chess only a certain amount of moves can be used.

And the playability is great instancing has its Pros- No kill stealers, No Griefers with nothing to do, No boss mob Camps for hours on end. You can take in who YOU want not what the game wants.

And you say a game must be 40+ hrs well you do realize the game continues after you get to level 20 right i've been playing for over 2 years now and its still a great game to me i bet i cant say the same for Runes of Magic in 2 years.

Plus if your solo you can Add henchmen to do some levels and not rely on morons to drop out or whine or say how bad your doing cause they are inferior like in WoW.

P.S. Guildwars is 4 yrs old or more and its less laggy than Runes of magic and its Graphical Content still pwns RoM and WoW.

Crown the Wise, Harness the Talented, and Cherish the Lucky......
    The Dragon Lofwyr.

• Leg3nd4ry1Leg3nd4ry1 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by billybob77

why is the hype of this game so high ?. .its not even an mmo, and there is almost 0 information about this game yet..

Umm FYI it IS an mmo...theres is acctually a lot of information that has been flowing in recently from the official guild wars 2 website and the official wiki. www.guildwars2.com go read the FAQ and News sections...

There is really alot of people who don't have their information straight...Gw2 is going to be open persistant world, there will be crafting, it will be solo friendly if you choose to play it that way, there is going to be new races, and this game was NOT announced 2 weeks ago as someone else has falsely stated. This game was announced 2 years ago back in 2007. Someone also incorrectly stated that it has no connection between gw1 and gw2 which is also wrong. The game takes place 250 years after events in eye of the north, and, incase you didnt know, eye of the north serves as an introduction to the races and some of the lore that will be present in gw2. Get your facts straight people and look up some info on GW2. Whether you liked the first one or not is irrelovant because they are changing many aspects of the game to make it more like a traditional MMO. Please read before you start your injustified bashing of this game.

• PetzenPetzen Member Posts: 74

Who cares what it is, really?! - Gw1 was fun and a great game. Thats the only thing that matter to me and I hope Gw2 will be just as great :D

• SaiaxisSaiaxis Member UncommonPosts: 45

Okay...

Lets see:

Increasing abilities of the characters: Yes, that is present in GW. As you level up you get attribute points you can allocate to improve your skills. Also you can get bonuses inherent in weapon and armour mods, not to mention obtaining new skills to use

Collecting items: Yup, has that too. You can get better armour and weapons, sometimes you have to collect an item to complete a quest

Set in fairly open environments/side quests: I guess you havent played much of the game, since it takes quite a while to clock up the Tyrian Cartography title, and there are lots of quests unrelated to the main storylines that you can take or not take.

So I guess Guild Wars does fit into your definition of a RPG

-------------------------------------------------

As far as the MMO debate (which some insist on) granted that the explorable areas are instanced you can still have quite a lot of fun in some of the towns and outposts. but that argument, in this instance, is negated by the fact that most of the explorable areas in GW2 will be persistent.

-------------------------------------------------

In answer to the OP though, I believe it isnt overhyped. It has been +2 years in the making (since Eye of the North came out), tightly under wraps with only a trickle of lore released in that time until the concept art and first trailer recently came out, and for all intents and purposes is actually looking to be an excellent game

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

I have seen zero hype. Just a lot of speculation

• SaiaxisSaiaxis Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Draccan

Actually, this is the best put response.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Well can't say it is overhyped anymore. Seems like fanboys for the other games created multiple accounts and voted this down. Very sad that they felt the need to do that. Is it going to make those other games better?

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

its not hard to understand the enthusiasm people have towards GW2 at all.

Many loved GW but felt it missed a "larger frame" which GW2 might fill. GW was awesome and different (at it's time at least) and very well polished. And that it also was a one time purchase made more people play it.

That GW2 will also follow this same principle is just awesome. Then many more dare to try it and even more dare to afford playing it.

Personally, nowadays (after being let down again and again) I dare not to hype a game again. However when it comes to sequals to already existing games that I know were GOOD. I just can't help it.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• silenossilenos Member Posts: 116

Guild Wars is the best game, and GW2 will be even better! and it will be an MMO, not CORPG like GW.
    overhyped means: "anything that is given too much unnecessary credit and hype".
    GW2 is not overhyped. it deserves the fame, because it will be an awesome, successful game.
    what is overhyped is that old, outdated, lame WoW. GW2 will finally defeat that game!

I want to reborn as a Sylvari.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

I suppose we won't know if it was worth the hype until we get to play it.  Perhaps until then, we should just let people enjoy the excitement they get from having something to look forward too.  Is that so wrong?

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Lydon

I wish I understood a tiny bit of what you just typed.

Well lets translate for you, he said and I quote "I'm talking out of my arse and I don't have the slightest clue what the hell I'm talking about, but I've got myself in so deep now I've got to keep going, and hope everyone else gives up so that I can have the last word"

I think that sums it up nicely.

RPG = lvls and time spent in game, omg who comes up with these ideas, oh yes morons do.

• yawgyawg Member CommonPosts: 8

Well worth the high hype.  It has the potential for becoming The #1 MMORPG when it gets released, and that's just from the little bits of information we got.  

GW1 was a great game overall and was well worth the hype it received back then. It had a few weak points, but that's exactly the reason they're doing a whole new game and not another expansion. From what little info we got now it seems to be at least twice as awesome as first one, which is a lot.

• FloreumFloreum Member Posts: 3

Such hypocrisy in this thread, some of you people fight over this like it's a world war. Are you people so unsure about the status of your games when a game that has a high hype level (which could mean nothing. There's barely a hype for GW2 in this case). Us Guild Wars fans aren't treating this like a Halo 3 (Not saying it's a bad game, but the hype was tremendous).

What I hate more is how people come into these type of threads just to ramble on what they've seen and act like they've actually played it, some of them go as far as lying they have played it. I'm talking about games in general now, what ever happened to the fact games were made to entertain the player? Since when was it about a brawl of who's game is better? I may be new here, but I've seen threads like this, they are all alike, it's almost like deja vu.

You know, you don't have to jump on the bandwagon like much everyone else has, you have your own opinions and don't need to go around and copying/following what everyone else has said before. I myself have friends in real life who think they're being smart when they are going all at it about how much "This game sucks and you should buy ___ instead". Why don't you people keep to what you love? I mean you could refer a game to someone, but if they say they aren't interested or didn't like it, you don't need to go on a giant rant and throw wild insults about how and why they should like it.  There are games reviewed by professionals (IGN, Gamespot, GameTrailers, etc.) that get a bad rating, but all the players love it.

If you don't think Guild Wars is a Role Playing Game, I suggest you to play more. It has all the elements of one, and just because it was instanced, doesn't make it no less of a RPG.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

The game is not at all hyped .The devs are keeping a avery tight lid on the info , very little updates are trickling in .They have not even said when likely will be alpha , or closed beta etc

Their only response is once its ready you will know.

Its the players that are hyping it based on GW1

1) The team knows to deliver on a business model which does not include monthly subscription.

2) 5 playable races with their own started towns ( norn followed by char are my favourites)

3) Still it will be a skill based game.

4) Instances will be reduced It will be made a more persistent world .

5) Casual PVP and Hardcore PVP

6) Server versus Server

7) Replacing click to move method which was hated by many

8) Non grindy game

9) I loved the story line arch and looking forward to GW2 storyline.although they have mentioned they will make less like a themepark ride with various story archs to do.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by silenos

Guild Wars is the best game, and GW2 will be even better! and it will be an MMO, not CORPG like GW.

overhyped means: "anything that is given too much unnecessary credit and hype".

GW2 is not overhyped. it deserves the fame, because it will be an awesome, successful game.

what is overhyped is that old, outdated, lame WoW. GW2 will finally defeat that game!

GW1 was a good CORPG, but that doesnt mean it will be a good MMORPG.

Example:

A Movie may be good, but doesnt mean it will good as a video game, which is another form of entertainment.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Saiaxis

http://twitter.com/guildwars2

They can hype it as much as they want, I just would like the ability to "jump" in #2

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by tro44_1 
    Example:
    A Movie may be good, but doesnt mean it will good as a video game, which is another form of entertainment.

That's a really silly comparison. You're comparing two totally different forms of media.

Both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 will be be online games. The only difference between the concepts is that Guild Wars makes heavy use of instances and the sequel does not. It's not rocket science and it's not anything near adapting a movie to a video game. Guild Wars has always been designed to be an online video game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

They can hype it as much as they want, I just would like the ability to "jump" in #2

Really? I mean.. really? Out of the passed dozen or so MMOs (including the one for which your sig is based), and looking at their marketting, your idea of an over-hyped game is a tweet linking information from a PAX conference...

sigh.... would a 'regularly hyped' game for you be one that doesn't exist at all until it *poof*s into existance?

• lellyvillelellyville Member Posts: 26

i'm over hyped about your mom, seriously who ever think gw2 is over hyped are missing tons of brain cells.

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Really? I mean.. really? Out of the passed dozen or so MMOs (including the one for which your sig is based), and looking at their marketting, your idea of an over-hyped game is a tweet linking information from a PAX conference...

sigh.... would a 'regularly hyped' game for you be one that doesn't exist at all until it *poof*s into existance?

I didn't say I didn't think it was over hyped at all. As Draccan said he hadn't seen any thought I'd link "some".

All we have at the moment is initial information and people wanting to see it, providing a little bump in making people think it is over-hyped.

I think your a bit mistaken with some presumption there. Jumped the gun a little mate.

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by majinant

website is mmorpg not mmo.com and guild wars dont have rpg aspect

Well actually it does. You are playing the role of a character in a  game. RPG.  Man, you are just trying to be difficult for the sake of it aren't you?

Then wouldn't that make just about every character based game a role-playing game?

role playing (noun) - the modifying of a person's behavior to accord with a desired personal image, as to impress others or conform to a particular environment.

Know any games where people actually do that?  I bet you can't think of one.  No one actually acts out there character besides maybe a handful of people playing on a RP server on some remote game somewhere.  For the most part, people just play their cookie cutter toon with only a name to seperate it from the mass of look a likes.  Not many actually take the time to develop a unique personality for their character in an online game.  Honestly I am not even sure why they attach the label role playing to a game where people play as their usual selves through a computer generated avatar.  Role playing requires a little more than just putting on a mask.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

Example:

That's a really silly comparison. You're comparing two totally different forms of media.

Both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 will be be online games. The only difference between the concepts is that Guild Wars makes heavy use of instances and the sequel does not. It's not rocket science and it's not anything near adapting a movie to a video game. Guild Wars has always been designed to be an online video game.

Your not getting it. GW1 wasnt a MMORPG. GW2 will be. Only thing they will have in commend is lore. They are two different genre of gaming. Console RPGs fit in the same catagory that GW1 fits into (Single player designed game with added Mutiplayer).

GW2 will be a MMORPG. Most MMORPGs fell now days because developers have to design a RPG game that can be fun to mutiple players at once, not just players indivisually.

Example:

Your not getting it. GW1 wasnt a MMORPG. GW2 will be. Only thing they will have in commend is lore. They are two different genre of gaming. Console RPGs fit in the same catagory that GW1 fits into (Single player designed game with added Mutiplayer).

GW2 will be a MMORPG. Most MMORPGs fell now days because developers have to design a RPG game that can be fun to mutiple players at once, not just players indivisually.

And that is where the non party member / instance amount restriction comes from. You should be able to have the same amount of people in the Hubs as out in the open world.

But of corse

why play a MMORPG if I can play a console RPG? MMORPG supose to provide something, and Guild Wars lacked it