Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion almost had me...

observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

...until i hit lvl 20.  Simply put, i ran out of  quests.  (repeatable & crafting quests shouldn't be required to level)

It's severely lacking in the 20-25 range (sounds just like that other MMO), and others have said it gets worse later on.  From what i've read on Aionsource's forums, it's faster to just grind on mobs than it is to quest, gather, and even PvP.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to imply that questing should be the only way, or even be the fastest way to level, but it should be an alternate path to get me to max level or at least to the next questing hub.  Even if questing is slower or faster than other routes, or whether it's solo or group oriented, questing should be there.

Why?  Because questing immerses me more into the world than just grinding on mobs.  Even those annoying fetch x and slay # of x type of quests give me a purpose to do it (once again, repeatable quests don't count in my eyes), otherwise what's my purpose in that world if i don't have stories to follow?  Questing also gives me a purpose to go back and forth between towns and cities, so i can sell, auction, and interact with others while taking a break from the monotonous grind.

If NCSoft would just up the XP gain from quests in that level range, it wouldn't be so bad.  Unless the next leveling zones are also lacking, then that also means the PvE content is lacking as well...which is pretty bad.

p.s. please do NOT think i'm only comparing this to WoW, i'm comparing it to many other MMOs, including WoW.  (hmm this is sig worthy)

p.s.s. this isn't a wall of text either, since i used paragraphs :p

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

the questing gets a lot less linear after 20. If you're lvling in morheim, then you'll have to start venturing south to find the other questing hubs. If you are on the island, you'll find a good 50% - lvls worth of quests, but then it will start getting too hard, in which case you'll have to head back over to morheim anyhow.

The quests are definitely there, you just need to look for them, it doesn't hold your hand the entire way.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

At 20, at least for elyos. You leave and go to eltnen and there are a TON of quests over there. I don't know about asmodians. But generally speaking, after 20, you half to go to a different landmass.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm level 21 and I have 13 quests in my journal. Sounds like you missed some. Also, quests don't promote community--they promote solo play. Grinding mobs/elites is so much fun because you work with others, thus a more cohesive community is formed. 

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I did look for them.  I looked here.  http://www.aionarmory.com/search.aspx?browse=4.2&filters=203=20;204=25;230=2#quests:0+2

As you can see, there's only about 15-20 quests for lvl 20.  And some of them are repeatable or require gathering skills.  And if you add up all the XP, it's still not sufficient enough to get to the next level.

I also wasn't looking for someone to hold my hand.  I actually did explore Pandaemonium, Morheim, and Brusthonin for more quests, and died several times doing so.  So next time don't assume someone wants an easy way to level.

Originally posted by Boardwalker

I'm level 21 and I have 13 quests in my journal. Sounds like you missed some. Also, quests don't promote community--they promote solo play. Grinding mobs/elites is so much fun because you work with others, thus a more cohesive community is formed. 

The Black Claw Elite quests were group quests which also promoted working together, not solo play.  Grinding is never fun in my opinion, but if it's fun for you, that's fine with me.

• pleasenjoi93pleasenjoi93 Member Posts: 71

Im playing the open beta right now and at some points Id have no quests but I'd be so close to leveling I'd kill like 4 mobs, level up and 10 next quest chains would be available, so I never had any trouble yet. Im only like level 15 though so I dunno about 20+ or anything. Still can't decide if I want to purchase or not though... 

"...these forums are like soap operas"-Nihce

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

I feel ya on this.  I was having to do repeats to grab the next levels at 20-23.  It was then I figured out why so many people use bots in this game.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

You people who uit early need to find  a guild, if you had one you wouldnt e so ready and willing to quit for any minor asinine reason that pops up.

And im not talking about a zerg, im talking about a real guild, with people you talk to outside of the game on vent or something, if you actually formed a real relationship people would be willing to help you and tell you whre to go when you run out of quests so you dont just rage up and quit.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• bastiibastii Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

You people who quit early need to find  a guild.

That's not much help really, the game shouldn't force you to join a guild. They supposed to add a lot of quests with 1.5 but they only added a few, I think people expected too much. Everything past lvl 20 is best grinded except for a few main quests you would want to do.

Originally posted by teco221

Oh God... another dumb ass player can't find quest posting.... so sick of this....
    I don't want to be rude, but you're just another "dumbass" fanboy on mmorpg.com and i'm sick of your type.  Stop being so defensive of your precious game. 
    I played from 1.1, 1.2 to now 1.5, there are a lot of quests, PLEASE DON'T BE SO LAZY AND FIND THEM YOURSELF!!!!  Don't just say "oh no quests in this area, I am out of quests etc etc etc"....
    Scroll up and read my 2nd post.  I did look for them, but apparently you like to rage with a red face with veins popping out.  You also could have offered advice on where to get these quests, instead of being lazy yourself.
    Just simply said "you hate this game, you want your money back" it's easier then complaint something isn't true.
    Where exactly did i say i hate this game? or wanted my money back?  or where did i complain?  I addressed something i thought was a problem in Aion, like a lack of quests for a certain level range.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by observer

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to imply that questing should be the only way, or even be the fastest way to level, but it should be an alternate path to get me to max level or at least to the next questing hub.  Even if questing is slower or faster than other routes, or whether it's solo or group oriented, questing should be there.
    Why?  Because questing immerses me more into the world than just grinding on mobs. 

Well I would agree with this...

You should be able to choose which style of gameplay you follow based on your personal preference.  You should have the option to quest or do "camps" (like EQ.. even early DAoC)... as paths to level.

For me I guess its more that I will be going into Aion with a pre-made group (not a guild at this point.. but there was a lot of talk in my DAoC vent.  So we might skip from the "guild" step right into the alliance step..)

That's the only real pull for me atm with Aion... is I will be going in with a group of people I really enjoy playing games with.  That really is the key for me...  if I can't find anyone I enjoy playing the game with... well I can... actually I'm not going to type what I want to as I would get in trouble...

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by bastii

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

You people who quit early need to find  a guild.

That's not much help really, the game shouldn't force you to join a guild. They supposed to add a lot of quests with 1.5 but they only added a few, I think people expected too much. Everything past lvl 20 is best grinded except for a few main quests you would want to do.

I agree. It's ridiculous to me when people say that "you need to join a guild" or "you need to get to level 20 before the fun starts." Why should I have to endure any of that? If the game isn't fun right off the bat.. then it's not fun and I am not going to keep playing. That would be silly.

THAT said, I enjoy Aion enough to keep playing. And I hope to join a guild to make it more fun... but ONLY because I CHOOSE to. I certainly shouldn't have to. 

I'm not directing this at Aion... but it's completely bad design to make a game boring and force people to put up with less than stellar gameplay in order to get to the good stuff. Instead it should start of fun and continue to get better.

• robdog696robdog696 Member Posts: 19

...until i hit lvl 20.  Simply put, i ran out of  quests.  (repeatable & crafting quests shouldn't be required to level)
    It's severely lacking in the 20-25 range (sounds just like that other MMO), and others have said it gets worse later on.  From what i've read on Aionsource's forums, it's faster to just grind on mobs than it is to quest, gather, and even PvP.
    Why?  Because questing immerses me more into the world than just grinding on mobs.  Even those annoying fetch x and slay # of x type of quests give me a purpose to do it (once again, repeatable quests don't count in my eyes), otherwise what's my purpose in that world if i don't have stories to follow?  Questing also gives me a purpose to go back and forth between towns and cities, so i can sell, auction, and interact with others while taking a break from the monotonous grind.
    If NCSoft would just up the XP gain from quests in that level range, it wouldn't be so bad.  Unless the next leveling zones are also lacking, then that also means the PvE content is lacking as well...which is pretty bad.
    p.s. please do NOT think i'm only comparing this to WoW, i'm comparing it to many other MMOs, including WoW.  (hmm this is sig worthy)

From the short amount of time I've spent on these forums, I'm starting to understand a few things about gamers.  I have been gaming for a long long time.  And I happen to know that (though I spend more hours on MMOs), RTS games are what really captivate me.

I think people lose sight of why MMOs became so popular to begin with.  It was the multiplayer part.  Whether you enjoy teamwork, backstabbing, greifing, or just having a chat room, everyone would rather play  Contra Online than just Contra. 

Bare with me.  I'm trying to be constructive here...  The point I'm trying to make is this: there are so many games a year or two away from hitting the market that have all taken different paths.  I don't think games ever truly suck.  They captivate some audience, maybe just not the one you're part of. 

So what audience are you?  I recently decided to stop playing every "promising" game to hit the MMO market, hoping to catch the frontend of the new big thing.  Instead, I'm waiting for the game that fits my playstyle.  I'm waiting for my EQ1.  By that I mean, the game that will captivate me well enough to play it  for a long long time.  DDO was that game until the devs nerfed it at their 1 yr anniversary.  What morons.  They ruined their own masterpiece!  LOL!  Anyways...

Sounds to me like you're a storyline guy, or an RPGer at heart.  If you haven't already, look for the Star Wars trailers on IGN.  It's a 4 part video series that will probably give you wood... along with incentive to ditch the current MMO trend for a few good RPGs to last you the next year until it comes out.  Also, Oblivion Online is rumored to be in the making. 

Don't listen to these haters.  They just can't grasp why you aren't like them.  Kudos to the people who have more to say than, "You suck!  I love the game, and I rock!  So you must have been birthed by a retarded chimpanzee!"  The MMO market is getting better for ONE reason.  When the devs think we leave their games because we just don't have money or no longer like games or grew up, they come read forums.  An when they read, "I didn't have enough quests," they put more quests in.  Please don't bash people for constructive criticism!  It's the people who take the time to let the gaming world know why they quit who help make it better!!!

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

/wall of text hits you for 99999999 text damage

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

As you move out into the world you will find people along the side of the road that has a quest or two.  Also the game has item quests.  As you grind you will get an item that you double-click on and receive the quest.

GlassEye

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Having gotten into my 20s, and reaching 23+ at this point, I have to agree to some degree.  Mosts of the quests at this point don't seem worth doing, and grinding as a Cleric has finally gotten relatively slow (watching other classes breeze through mobs while I wait for cooldowns as I heal myself).  A bump to the quest exp, for this reason, would be extremely welcomed.

That said, this has been discussed to death already at Aionsource, which you claim yourself to have read... www.aionsource.com/forum/aion-discussion/50078-aion-desperately-needs-more-quests-20-30-a.html

I mean, if you want to discuss this issue here, that's great!  However, this kind of comes off as more of an "OMG Don't play Aion.. super grind!!!1" troll than a real conversation based on the title and introduction.

Personally, I have every intention of buying and playing this game, and even if the grind that exists doesn't change, I'll still be satisfied.  It will just make doing that extra bit of work for your gear that much more rewarding (due to longer use) and will mean there's no such thing as just farting by for anyone.

P.S. - For anyone actually curious about this topic, there's lots of good, actual experienced knowledge in the above link.  Some of it's actually not a bad read.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

@robdog: You could be right and maybe it's this genre i'm getting sick of.  Single-player games are ok, but i just prefer multi-player games due to the social aspect of them.  Oblivion Online sounds pretty good actually.  I guess i'll just have to wait for the next "big thing" in the MMO genre.

@shiymmas: I'm also a cleric too, and it does frustrate me a bit to see other classes kill with ease.  I also read that thread and it actually had some good arguments from both sides, until the trolls and flamers got it locked up.  And ya you're right, my thread title does sound kind of trollish, but oh well.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by robdog696

From the short amount of time I've spent on these forums, I'm starting to understand a few things about gamers.  I have been gaming for a long long time.  And I happen to know that (though I spend more hours on MMOs), RTS games are what really captivate me.

I think people lose sight of why MMOs became so popular to begin with.  It was the multiplayer part.  Whether you enjoy teamwork, backstabbing, greifing, or just having a chat room, everyone would rather play  Contra Online than just Contra. 

Bare with me.  I'm trying to be constructive here...  The point I'm trying to make is this: there are so many games a year or two away from hitting the market that have all taken different paths.  I don't think games ever truly suck.  They captivate some audience, maybe just not the one you're part of. 

So what audience are you?  I recently decided to stop playing every "promising" game to hit the MMO market, hoping to catch the frontend of the new big thing.  Instead, I'm waiting for the game that fits my playstyle.  I'm waiting for my EQ1.  By that I mean, the game that will captivate me well enough to play it  for a long long time.  DDO was that game until the devs nerfed it at their 1 yr anniversary.  What morons.  They ruined their own masterpiece!  LOL!  Anyways...

Sounds to me like you're a storyline guy, or an RPGer at heart.  If you haven't already, look for the Star Wars trailers on IGN.  It's a 4 part video series that will probably give you wood... along with incentive to ditch the current MMO trend for a few good RPGs to last you the next year until it comes out.  Also, Oblivion Online is rumored to be in the making. 

Don't listen to these haters.  They just can't grasp why you aren't like them.  Kudos to the people who have more to say than, "You suck!  I love the game, and I rock!  So you must have been birthed by a retarded chimpanzee!"  The MMO market is getting better for ONE reason.  When the devs think we leave their games because we just don't have money or no longer like games or grew up, they come read forums.  An when they read, "I didn't have enough quests," they put more quests in.  Please don't bash people for constructive criticism!  It's the people who take the time to let the gaming world know why they quit who help make it better!!!

/applaud

Good post and exactly what I have done with Aion researched from day 1 consumed all I can and decided yes its my game before even playing it. 

Unlike WAR AOC and everything else since pre-cu SWG whereas I played just to cach that front end of possibly the next big thing and self hyped them too much that they couldnt have impressed me even if they had actually been good.

But a year off from fantasy MMO's a revisiting of SWG and me finally realising pre-cu wasnt tis god like MMO that all should aspire to be like it was just a good MMO that I enjoyed the most  has left me with a completely new perspective on things and allowed me to truly enjoy Aion a game i knew from research I was going to actually like as it has so many elements that appeal to ME.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

I seriously dont understand what the OP is saying. I am almost half way through 23 and I havent grinded on any mobs (other than when trying to get items for a quest) and I havent did a repeatable quest other than its initial time. I actually decided not to do those gathering quests since it was so late in the beta and deleted a good 10 or more of those out of my journal. Heck, I am 23 and still havent done the abyss gate quest yet and its worth 200k exp all by itself. There are TONS of quests out there, you seriously just have to find them as they are all over the place and a fair number of them actually end up sending you into some dangerous areas for your level but thats part of what makes it exciting. The thing about Aion is, past 20, its not very linear. You will be in a 20+ area and running around and find yourself in ?? territory. Passed that may be another level 20+ area. Take the flights to the different areas and run around, you will find quests.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

For any game to succeed in the long term and not only the short term it needs to be able to accomodate the playing style of a lot of different players. But, this doesn't mean that at any extreme a game should accomodate them. Game developers certainly need to put in enough content to keept people moving along from one level to another but they also need to include incentives to get people to try other things.

I tend to be a grazer when it comes to leveling. By that I mean I like to do the quests and try to do as many as possible but as I move from one quest to another I tend to kill mobs that pop in my way and gather resources (which in Aion give you exp) and of course look for the odd group that is working on elite level mobs. In general so far this has worked well for me in Aion. Yes it isn't as fast as a pure quest leveling mode would probably do but then rushing from one NPC to the next and only getting exp from quests isn't what I want to do. I like exploring and trying things out and getting surprised when some random mob that I killed just because it looked at me funny drops a nice bit of loot.

This does also bring up the fact that while quests provide a bit of loot and money it really is the bare minimum you need and if you kill more than the bare minimum number of mobs you will be much better off in the long run to buy your skill books and expand your cube. You might consider the need to kill mobs to be grinding but it isn't. Grinding is where you just staying the same area and kill the same mob(s) over and over simply to get exp. Killing mobs as you move along is a way to keep the exp meter moving as you travel and really should be considered as part of the leveling process.

So far doing this along with the odd group or two for elite mobs and quests has worked well without the need to start grinding.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

personally speaking, NCsoft game how easy are u expecting them to make leveling? wait until u get like 30s or 40s

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

@robdog: You could be right and maybe it's this genre i'm getting sick of.  Single-player games are ok, but i just prefer multi-player games due to the social aspect of them.  Oblivion Online sounds pretty good actually.  I guess i'll just have to wait for the next "big thing" in the MMO genre.
    @shiymmas: I'm also a cleric too, and it does frustrate me a bit to see other classes kill with ease.  I also read that thread and it actually had some good arguments from both sides, until the trolls and flamers got it locked up.  And ya you're right, my thread title does sound kind of trollish, but oh well.

Sorry for flaming you but what did you expect? Being a healer and can 2 hit mobs? seriously you should party with others and aion doesn't penalty you by doing so.

• kevingailykevingaily Member Posts: 113

Hi,

I think they designed the game this way on purpose to get us to do PvP. That is the over-arching focus of the game from what I've both seen and heard.

Also, if one just quests and doesn't craft, PvP, or grind at least a little, then one could come up short. However, do a spot of these while questing and I think it will be OK.

I'm not saying that more quests(or quest exp) shouldn't be in order, but that it is possible to do it as is now.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Op, did you do any mission?

www.aionarmory.com/search.aspx