Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: PAX Rise of the Godslayer Demo

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Carolyn Koh was at PAX. While there, she met up with Funcom's Craig Morrison to talk about the upcoming Conan expansion, Rise of the Godslayer.

The Age of Conan expansion, Rise of the Godslayer is based in the land of Khitai. A land imagined by Robert E. Howard the creator of Conan the Cimmerian as an exotic land of 9,999 gods, a rich, influential land in the Far East. Funcom has interpreted that as a land, peoples and architecture reminiscent of Ancient China and influenced by a romantic, folkloric European view of Chinese culture. Khitai is a land that Conan visited as a young thief, seeking a gem of fable. Instead, he found an alien being of power which had been bound by the wizards to do their bidding, and worshipped as a God by the faction. Out of mercy, he killed it as it begged him, and in turn, Conan earned the enmity of a powerful sect.

Read the PAX Rise of the Godslayer Demo

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

Looks like AOC is on the right track....But the community the last time I played (wiccanna PVE) was just terrible.  It's sad that M for mature dosen't mean what it should.

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Sounds great to me!

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

It was depressing to walk by the Funcom booth at PaX. The only people there were the employees.  I sure hope this MMO gets back on track and makes it. 

• synergisynergi Member UncommonPosts: 133

Well after pre-ordering and paying the extra five dollars for the head start so I could make my characters (roleplay) name as soon as the server came up. Then all the game problems which I was willing to come back to once fixed only to find out that my being on a transfer to server still made me lose my names, I say screw them.

I just don't care what they come out with at this point.

"It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees,"

• KalefenKalefen Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by avalon1000

It was depressing to walk by the Funcom booth at PaX. The only people there were the employees.  I sure hope this MMO gets back on track and makes it. 

Because...they never had the courage to make it an epic game.  The races were...3...and there wasn't even a successful realm vs realm attempt in the game.  Sure - laugh at this - but then let me repoint those who debate organized pvp over guild war small time instanced warfare...to the empty booth.  Conan slammed his fist in anger in the opener - spoke of epic struggles - not three races fighting the same three races.  The way it is now - when you see pvp in this game it looks like the same side killing itself.  Other than guild name there's nothing special or different about any one group over another.  In AoC, priests of mitra side with tempests of set and kill priests of mitra - necromancers can run free pets out through Cimmeria - this is all just a slap in the face to the cultural and religious divides that made up a great series of books. 

Sure there's always that merc group of random betrayers - but in Conan - it's everywhere - there's no great empire vs great empire.  Nothing..epic - and subsequently nothing to look at at the Funcom booth.

• AngelBurstAngelBurst Member UncommonPosts: 24

With the new expansion do you still have to start out in Tortage, or is there a new starting point? The only thing that would bring me bacl to AOC would be the addition of multiple starting points, and more classes.

• smellysockssmellysocks Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by AngelBurst

With the new expansion do you still have to start out in Tortage, or is there a new starting point? The only thing that would bring me bacl to AOC would be the addition of multiple starting points, and more classes.

Well if you bothered to read ..

''There will not be a new class or levels introduced in Rise of the Godslayer.''

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by storm-dragon

Looks like AOC is on the right track....But the community the last time I played (wiccanna PVE) was just terrible.  It's sad that M for mature dosen't mean what it should.

Really? If by 'community' you mean the 2 dozen a-holes on Global every evening acting like dicks, thats not really Wiccana's community. I play on Wiccana regularly and it has a wonderful community (if you turn Global off ;).) Its guilds are very active and constructive, the newbie channel is full of people wanting to help new players out. There are regular RP events going on weekly on the server. It's generally one of the most friendly servers in the game.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

After the rocky start and my level 80's sitting around with not a damn thing to do in game I just can't bring myself to sit down and play this game again no matter what they bring out.  It would take something GROUNDBREAKING for me to give AoC a second chance.  I wish AoC a painless death.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by storm-dragon

I play on Wiccana and the majority of the players are cool. Having said that, my ignore list is filling up at a rate of about 1 chump every 1 or 2 days.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by DIIImaster

This probably shouldn't even bother.  This game is on its last legs...they need to shut down some of their international ghost servers and consolidate in the US as well to 4 servers total instead of 8.
    After they merged the game they opened up two new servers: one generic PvE (Ironspine) and PvP (Agony).  They are both complete and literal ghost towns with less than 100 players on during prime time. 
    The two PvP servers continue to shrink also and the only servers treading water are the two PvE servers Wiccana and Set.
    But by the time the expansion comes around, they will be lucky to have the population for even 4 North American servers.

I doubt Funcom would spend millions of dollars marketing something and developing a new expansion if the game was on its last legs.

Sure it isn't the huge succes it could have been. Sure Funcom botched the launch and deserves plenty of flak for some of the stuff that happened, but trust me, business-wise they are not dumb. I am pretty sure they would move all ressources to The Secret World if AoC was dying.

AoC still have a loyal following. And with the mmo landscape and current launches this fall I still see this game has a future. It is one of the best in the whole landscape despite its obvious short comings.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by avalon1000

farm3.static.flickr.com/2524/3901966889_5876a01b23.jpg

Seems like from what alot of people said on the official forums that it was busy and there were queues to try out the expansion preview.

Obviously there will be times when the booth would be busy and not so. Just saying.

They also Tweeted for volunteer help. TSW brought a lot of ppl to the booth too.

As for getting back on track, the expansion brings a lot of what people are and have been asking for.

In the interim there is Patch 1.06, focus on PvP objectives and coming is a new larger scale conquest type minigame (capture points) There is lots of additional stuff in the works.

The main thing is, right now I think the came is already on track, there has been some good additions, clearing up the issues before has left the door open to primarily content updates and that is what has and will filter through rather that larger emphasis on fixes.

Such base hate on these forums, it's amazing.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Age of Conan is a fantastic game.  I just don't have any friends on it, so there's little I can do.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Eh, no new classes and no level cap raise is in my opinion not a good way to get new people to try the game out or bring old players back to try playing their high level charecters again. 

IMHO the WoW formula of 10 new levels and a new (completely balance changing) class and 10 more levels of boring same-old quests is the wrong way to go. I'm glad to see Funcom is being unique and more creative on their expansion. They've always been known for that.

Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L

Eh, no new classes and no level cap raise is in my opinion not a good way to get new people to try the game out or bring old players back to try playing their high level charecters again. 

Why should new people who never played the game be attracted by new classes or higher levels if they still need to do 12 classes and 80 levels??

And there is plenty of content for old players in this expansion.

I think it is a brilliant move by Funcom not to increase level cap.

If anything I miss more improvements to pvp mechanics and player housing. But the first is being worked on for sure..

• jus123jus123 Member Posts: 33

I dont think this expension will be any good becouse they arnt adding any classes or races they are just making a new country

Originally posted by jus123

I dont think this expension will be any good becouse they arnt adding any classes or races they are just making a new country

They are adding a whole new race; the Khitai

• VondutchVondutch Member Posts: 10

Populations are definitely up. I have played most other MMO's and AoC has the best graphics and sound. And the combat systems is by and far the most dynamic. If they figure out a way to add battlegrounds and/or gladiator pits, this game will hold your attention outside of questing.

One good indicator that the population was up - my auction items are selling like stuffed french toast at IHOP.