Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: PAX - Updating on the Updates

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh spoke with CCP's Scott Holden about what's coming in the near future for the space-sim MMO and what to expect further down the line.

CCP's Lead Content Designer Scott Holden waxed eloquent over the Dominion Release due in the November / December time frame. A former freelance writer for White Wolf, Scott has been with EVE Online for about two and a half years.

"We have some major features we are releasing toward the end of the year, and as always, expansions are free," said Scott, describing them for me.

Read PAX - Updating on the Updates

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Awesome dude, Thank you for the info and I look forward to more news.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

As much as I would love to see EVE with 300K online at any given time. The is just not for everyone and will never be a game for everyone. It’s a badass game with graphics that are hard to match by even the new upcoming Tech 5 engine.

Don’t feel bad for not finishing the tutorial and even you decided to play now, unless you join a good corporation a good alliance, you’ll never truly embrace the entire game. You’ll probably get a glimpse out of it but you won’t see the big picture, the what makes EVE superior to any other mmos.

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

Finally a full browser... I guess the old explination that there wern't any affordable free render engines out there hasn't been true for quite a while now.

For a businessman like me Cosmos is sounding better all the time.

I am just wondering when they will finally put in this jukebox that can play your own music/stream your own internet radio stations in game? They have been promising it for several years now... 

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Nice to know that WiS has a proper title now: Incarna—I like it.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

Actually it already did.

Originally they called it "Walking in Stations" until they could find a name and it stuck... but it would sound lousy from a marketing perspective.

Then they called it "Ambulation" which fit, sounded good even if it was a bit long. The problem was too many people don't know what ambulation means and just kept calling it Walking in Stations.

Well they changed the talking points again and now its incarna... which makes me think that you might be getting temp clones to walk in a station. 

• DaedrickDaedrick Member Posts: 168

EVE FOREVER!

...at least until a decent sandbox is launched. :P

-------------------------------------

Before: developers loved games and made money.

Now: developers love money and make games.

• BorkotronBorkotron Member Posts: 282

I'm happy to see that they are continuing with graphical updates. The game looks amazing with all the new models and particle effects. But, will they ever update the backgrounds that make up the "space" we play in? I would love to one day see some high res space-backdrops.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Eve just gets better and better. Ty for the info!

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

Originally posted by Borkotron

I'm happy to see that they are continuing with graphical updates. The game looks amazing with all the new models and particle effects. But, will they ever update the backgrounds that make up the "space" we play in? I would love to one day see some high res space-backdrops.

In wormhole space the sky boxes have been totally improved. Seriously the most gorgeous looking space in the game.

Hopefully CCP will go over K-space and give it that awesome look too.

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by wlvnspectre
    Finally a full browser... I guess the old explination that there wern't any affordable free render engines out there hasn't been true for quite a while now.

The browser is using Awesomium, which basically uses Google Chrome rendered onto Direct3D materials. This means that page rendering isn't restricted to UI windows, but can also be applied to 3D objects, like in game billboards, station walls, or whatever.

Originally posted by wlvnspectre
    I am just wondering when they will finally put in this jukebox that can play your own music/stream your own internet radio stations in game? They have been promising it for several years now... 

Its been confirmed as in development. Just don't quote me on it being in Dominion.

Originally posted by Borkotron
    But, will they ever update the backgrounds that make up the "space" we play in? I would love to one day see some high res space-backdrops.

The idea they are working with now is to fill the game world with celestial scale features like light-year spanning nebula. When you enter a system they will be rendered into the sky box and you will be able to look out and see details and know which systems/constellations/regions are in them. This also means that each system will look unique as it has a different perspective on the rest of the universe.

//insert sig here
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

a very good read but wouldnt it have made more sense if one of the mmorpg.com people who actually play eve conducted the interview?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

Nice read and lots of info. EvE keeps me amazed long after I started it, and one of the main reasons is the unending improvements and changes to the game. After almost two years playing EvE I'm far from having experienced all that this game has to offer, and still CCP keeps on adding content to it.

No wonder EvE has such a loyal base.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

As much as I like EVE, I think the walking around in station is a waste...I mean, I can honestly see no point to it....I would much rather have ground attack missions where you enter atmosphere. Walking around on stations just seems superfluous

Originally posted by Archeminos

As much as I like EVE, I think the walking around in station is a waste...I mean, I can honestly see no point to it....I would much rather have ground attack missions where you enter atmosphere. Walking around on stations just seems superfluous

The only thing I'm looking forward to with "WiS" is the board game you could play that lets you gamble ships and isk away.

Also devs hinted at possible Mech skirmish(think Mechwarrior) matches and Frig arena simulations for isk (Kinda like newbie pvp training).

I couldn't careless about the other shit I would rather them keep adding to the spaceship stuff.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Seems they plan to address this form of combat with their console only game, Dust 514.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Seems they plan to address this form of combat with their console only game, Dust 514.

Having the On foot fps battles in Eves universe be a totally different MMO is the best possible decision CCP could have made.

Eve would be destroyed if Dust514 was just as expansion to Eve. It would suck every pod pilot out of space and into a Fps staged event leaving space devoid of life.

With the games being two mmo entities we will have the pilots on one side and a whole new mess of mmofps fans(I can see the oldschool Planetside players filling that game) on the other.

Expanding the universe even more.

• ACGandolfACGandolf Member Posts: 1

Interesting to read about the new stuff that is coming - sounds interesting.

I am a newbie, almost at the end of my 14 day trial subscription.

I purchased the special edition box and started to install it.  But I had questions and concerns.

I submitted a request for help, immediately got a scripted response saying the "petition" would be responded to.

Since then no word.  Questions were simple.  Was this a new account or extension of an existing account and were there any cautions in installing the box disc over the existing downloaded version.

I wonder why they can put so much effort into coming up with new stuff for the came and advertising the game, but cannot answer 2 simple questions.

• InvaderGUIInvaderGUI Member Posts: 62

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to the game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hand the graphics are second to none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by InvaderGUI

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to thae game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hane the graphics are secont ot none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

the point is whatever you want to make it...there are no quests or linear progression....you can control space, the market, become a superpower, become an explorer, become a industrial mogul...etc...the limits are your own

• InvaderGUIInvaderGUI Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by miagisan

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to thae game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hane the graphics are secont ot none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

the point is whatever you want to make it...there are no quests or linear progression....you can control space, the market, become a superpower, become an explorer, become a industrial mogul...etc...the limits are your own

If I wanted to pay money to use my imagination to pretend to "control space, the market, become a superpower...ect... then I would do back to paper and pen RPGs.  And there are tons of quests in the game. I completed several of them. In fact I did nothing but quests the entire time I played the trial. A I did was go from spacestation to space station completing quests. Bareley saw any combat, barely saw any people, (allthough they sure did spam the chat) , Nothing but looong travel from space station to space station completing quests.

• EanokEanok Member Posts: 134

If I wanted to pay money to use my imagination to pretend to "control space, the market, become a superpower...ect... then I would do back to paper and pen RPGs.  ...

Good for you, but if you want to learn what EvE is about stop with the missions (what you call quests) and do something else. Best way to do that is join a corp, you can join a pirate or FW corp and learn to fight in small gangs, or a corp focused in wormhole exploration and learn about exploration, or an industrial corp and learn about invention, or a nullsec corp and learn the ins and outs of power bloc battles... yes, you have to use your imagination and believe that the dots in your map are planets and stars and asteroids and stations and ships, and then YOU have to choose what to do in that universe.

If you cannot do that, if you need to be guided by the hand then EvE is not for you. Different MMOs for different players.

Played: UO, SWG, TR, WoW, AoC, EvE
    Playing: :(
    Interested in: JGE, LotR, TSW

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

So what is the point of EVE anyway? I did the trial and could not figure out what the point to the game is. All you do is fly  from space station to space station picking up and completing missions. Eve has to be one of, if not the most boring MMOs on the market.  But on the other hand the graphics are second to none. I loved the hyperspace visuals and the way the planets were rendered. But other then the graphics there is no other point to playing this game. I mean come on you dont even have any free control movements. Even in combat you just target the enemy engage auto atack and just watch and hope you win. Very very boring game. Sorry  but thats just my opinion after playing the trial.

Unfortunately, your experience is a common one, people give the game a shot, run missions for 2 weeks and write the game off as a bad one.  Its just not so.

Let me tell you a story.  I've been playing EVE for 2 years and today I was out doing some exploring, practicing the scanning of cosmic anomolies and wormholes and I happened across a star map option that colored every star system in EVE that I had ever visited (and it tells me how many times as well).

As I viewed the map I could see trails deep in 0.0, where I had been a member of alliances that battled for control of their space.  Didn't always win those battles either, which is why I had to embark on other adventures, and I could see more trails around the game.

I could identify my career from that map, from the high number of visits to key empire missioning systems including those that gave me access to datacore production, (I earn ISK while not even playing EVE) .

I saw the systems I ran through with a major alliance fleet during the BOB wars, (flew the poor man's Dread)  including the system where my own corporation ended up capturing a station which we were later able to trade for a mothership.

I saw systems where I fought in major campaigns against merc corps who wardec'd my empire alliance relentlessly, and though we lacked experience, we had heart and numbers, and gave as good as we got.

I've helped haul ore for miners, I've flown in 200+ fleets of battleships, fought in battles with 500 ships and seen the glory of multiple Titans slugging it out in a battle to the death.  I've fled in terror to escape a Titan's ultimate weapon before it coudl be unleashed to kill my fleet.

I've made billions of ISK though mission running, datacore production and trading, and lost blliions of ISK when my ships died under a hail of laser fire. (or even through being scammed on one occasion)

I have saved the name of the person who killed my first Raven on my first day in 0.0 (I was about a 4 month old pilot then).  He still plays and some day I hope to return the favor, either by killing him straight up, though I've toyed with the idea of trying to join his corp (he's the leader) and destroying it from within.

I fought in battles where spies  in our own vent would relay combat info to the enemy, and our spies did the same in return.

I now plan to probe the depths of wormhole space, and square off against the games ultimate PVE enemies, the Sleepers, who I've read require combat tactics that are anything but lock guns and pray.  (They can kill capital ships with ease)

So many adventures, all of my own making, and no guidance other than my own patient planning.

EVE is an amazing game if you can get into it like I have, and even if you've played the trial, give it another go.

Join a corp, fight in the faction wars, become a pirate, don't just mission run or mine, because those are just grinds put in to earn the ISK we need to play the rest of the game.

Edit: One last thing, what struck me the most about viewing that map today was how many systems I haven't visited yet.  So many more adventures await out there and I'm looking forward to one day visiting all of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166

That's not the game being boring, but you completely missing everything Eve is about.

• EttirxaEttirxa Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Unfortunately, your experience is a common one, people give the game a shot, run missions for 2 weeks and write the game off as a bad one.  Its just not so.

Let me tell you a story.  I've been playing EVE for 2 years and today I was out doing some exploring, practicing the scanning of cosmic anomolies and wormholes and I happened across a star map option that colored every star system in EVE that I had ever visited (and it tells me how many times as well).

As I viewed the map I could see trails deep in 0.0, where I had been a member of alliances that battled for control of their space.  Didn't always win those battles either, which is why I had to embark on other adventures, and I could see more trails around the game.

I could identify my career from that map, from the high number of visits to key empire missioning systems including those that gave me access to datacore production, (I earn ISK while not even playing EVE) .

I saw the systems I ran through with a major alliance fleet during the BOB wars, (flew the poor man's Dread)  including the system where my own corporation ended up capturing a station which we were later able to trade for a mothership.

I saw systems where I fought in major campaigns against merc corps who wardec'd my empire alliance relentlessly, and though we lacked experience, we had heart and numbers, and gave as good as we got.

I've helped haul ore for miners, I've flown in 200+ fleets of battleships, fought in battles with 500 ships and seen the glory of multiple Titans slugging it out in a battle to the death.  I've fled in terror to escape a Titan's ultimate weapon before it coudl be unleashed to kill my fleet.

I've made billions of ISK though mission running, datacore production and trading, and lost blliions of ISK when my ships died under a hail of laser fire. (or even through being scammed on one occasion)

I have saved the name of the person who killed my first Raven on my first day in 0.0 (I was about a 4 month old pilot then).  He still plays and some day I hope to return the favor, either by killing him straight up, though I've toyed with the idea of trying to join his corp (he's the leader) and destroying it from within.

I fought in battles where spies  in our own vent would relay combat info to the enemy, and our spies did the same in return.

I now plan to probe the depths of wormhole space, and square off against the games ultimate PVE enemies, the Sleepers, who I've read require combat tactics that are anything but lock guns and pray.  (They can kill capital ships with ease)

So many adventures, all of my own making, and no guidance other than my own patient planning.

EVE is an amazing game if you can get into it like I have, and even if you've played the trial, give it another go.

Join a corp, fight in the faction wars, become a pirate, don't just mission run or mine, because those are just grinds put in to earn the ISK we need to play the rest of the game.

Edit: One last thing, what struck me the most about viewing that map today was how many systems I haven't visited yet.  So many more adventures await out there and I'm looking forward to one day visiting all of them.

nice post dude, thats whats so great about eve. Everybody has their own story to tell, you arnt just a collection of pointless stats. You are what you want to be, not what the game tells you to be. All i can really add is if this thought scares you or bores you then EVE really isnt the game or never will be the game for you.

Some people like marmite some hate it

Some people wear Y Fronts others wear boxers

Some people drink Pepsi Others Drink Coca Cola

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Eve does not hold your hand.  It requires you to use your imagination and use the tools they give you to do whatever you want.

As people have said before joining a good corp is important to learning the game.  Solo players can easily get overwhelmed with the volume of information.