Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Immersion

2»

Comments

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by MarlonB

Now ... let's get Bethesda to build a decent Fallout mmo!

Seriously if this was to happen it would be awesome. But the problems that came with it would completely destroy it if it was full on sandbox. There is just to much work to put into a sandbox, it's not worth half the problems it gives in return.

Edit: Wanted to add that supposably a Fallout MMO is in the works or being talked about. If anybody can pull off a great sandbox MMO it would be bethesda. But do you think bethesda wants to aim for the niche community? Guess we will see.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by greed0104

Seriously if this was to happen it would be awesome. But the problems that came with it would completely destroy it if it was full on sandbox. There is just to much work to put into a sandbox, it's not worth half the problems it gives in return.

Edit: Wanted to add that supposably a Fallout MMO is in the works or being talked about. If anybody can pull off a great sandbox MMO it would be bethesda. But do you think bethesda wants to aim for the niche community? Guess we will see.

There is a team of Russian volunteers building an fallout mmo based on fallout 1 and 2 ... i have been playing it a bit but found it to be  to brutal/harsh for my taste. The graphics will scare the cr*p out of you the first time ( 12 years old?) but after playing it a while it doesn't bother you that much anymore. That shows again that the fun factor is more important then the graphics :)

I think the biggest problem in Sandbox is the pvp .... the complaints and whines are almost always about balance ... something almost noone cares about in PVE. I for one don't care if one "template" is stronger then the other ... i will still play the character i'm most fond of ... next to that, pvp should be balanced for groups, not solo players. But that's my opinion. Heck, in SWG i was Creature Handler/Politician/Businessman ... i think the worst template ever, but i've had fun with this character for a long long time ... in a galaxy far away.

Exploits and bugs ... they can be overcome. It simply requires a better QA and test-team. It also requires an attitude of wanting to deliver a solid game, instead of just releasing as fast as possible. You can also implement an incentive base system where players get rewarded for reporting exploits.

But as you mentioned, the biggest and most important issue is money. It's so much easier to build and maintain a non-sandbox game ... which in itself is weird, as it requires much more content to be added ... regularly :)

• KupoKupopoKupoKupopo Member Posts: 189

If you are talking about the "Unnanounced Bethesda MMO" it may actually be an Elder Scrolls MMO, which would be pretty sweet!

www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/elder-scrolls-mmo/

(unless, of course, there is some recent news about Fallout MMO that I have not heard)

Sorry I'm

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

This thread has no immersion thanks to someone who posts in every single TOR post about the "facts" in the game, according to his opinions!

Good times.

But yeah, if the game has a great story and draws you in, it will be huge for many people. Sure it may not get the sandbox crowd, or the omg I wanna be the super elite hardest raids in any game so I can flex my epeen crowd, but for what they are aiming for, I think it will do just fine.

Also, a Dungeon n Dragons MMO that isn't ruined by turbine, and had a story, could do great too.

Originally posted by KupoKupopo

If you are talking about the "Unnanounced Bethesda MMO" it may actually be an Elder Scrolls MMO, which would be pretty sweet!

www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/elder-scrolls-mmo/

(unless, of course, there is some recent news about Fallout MMO that I have not heard)

Sorry I'm

I don't think so, think its code name was ProjectV13(Vault 13?)

And I'll definatlly play a ES MMO, only if I can massacre entire villages and sets them on fire!

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

I thought Black Isle still owned the rights to a Fallout MMO rather than Bethesda?

In response to the SWG guys, I agree to a certain  extent that I don't believe ToR will be greatest of the genre, I prefer immersive games, I want to explore and adventure and make own way through a world rather than being guided through constructed scenes and aspects. I'm sure this game will be fun and entertaining but it will not be groundbreaking, I just don't see how a game like this can survive longer than it's end game content, surely at some point the story will come to a close before new content is aviable, after that I don't see what else there will be to do in the game.

I am not trolling, I am not a SWG fan, I am a Star Wars fan and I would for ToR to give you a great story but also an expansive Star Wars universe to do what you will with, I am EQ vet and just yearning for the old days of "bigger is better" I suppose.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

I thought Black Isle still owned the rights to a Fallout MMO rather than Bethesda?

In response to the SWG guys, I agree to a certain  extent that I don't believe ToR will be greatest of the genre, I prefer immersive games, I want to explore and adventure and make own way through a world rather than being guided through constructed scenes and aspects. I'm sure this game will be fun and entertaining but it will not be groundbreaking, I just don't see how a game like this can survive longer than it's end game content, surely at some point the story will come to a close before new content is aviable, after that I don't see what else there will be to do in the game.

I am not trolling, I am not a SWG fan, I am a Star Wars fan and I would for ToR to give you a great story but also an expansive Star Wars universe to do what you will with, I am EQ vet and just yearning for the old days of "bigger is better" I suppose.

Wasn't it Interplay that kept the rights to a Fallout MMO?

I think a mix of both is possible. Looking back at SWG, it was a great concept for a sandbox and it had themeparks. What they should have done is keep it sandbox-y, but add more content, theme-parks and large and epic questlines. Now that was a game that with a few tweaks and changes could have catered for a large market. They tried it with the nge, but instead of adding new stuff, they destroyed their foundation which was actually the big strength of the game.

Meh ... i wish i had 200 million spare to waste on my ideas ...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

There is a team of Russian volunteers building an fallout mmo based on fallout 1 and 2 ... i have been playing it a bit but found it to be  to brutal/harsh for my taste. The graphics will scare the cr*p out of you the first time ( 12 years old?) but after playing it a while it doesn't bother you that much anymore. That shows again that the fun factor is more important then the graphics :)

I think the biggest problem in Sandbox is the pvp .... the complaints and whines are almost always about balance ... something almost noone cares about in PVE. I for one don't care if one "template" is stronger then the other ... i will still play the character i'm most fond of ... next to that, pvp should be balanced for groups, not solo players. But that's my opinion. Heck, in SWG i was Creature Handler/Politician/Businessman ... i think the worst template ever, but i've had fun with this character for a long long time ... in a galaxy far away.

Exploits and bugs ... they can be overcome. It simply requires a better QA and test-team. It also requires an attitude of wanting to deliver a solid game, instead of just releasing as fast as possible. You can also implement an incentive base system where players get rewarded for reporting exploits.

But as you mentioned, the biggest and most important issue is money. It's so much easier to build and maintain a non-sandbox game ... which in itself is weird, as it requires much more content to be added ... regularly :)

I don't think PvP needs to be tough or unbalanced.  A sandbox RPG needs to have a stronger combat system to work correctly in an MMO.. such as a FPS system, or variable 3rd person system, or even a Mount & Blade system where they rely less on tons of different skills and more on just balancing everything to the simplest effects.  The only way current MMOs find balance is with the class system.   Again, the sandbox has never been done correctly in a fantasy or sci - fi genre (I'm leaving EvE out of this because frankly, ships just don't fly with me without on-the-ground avatars, it doesn't mean its not sanboxy or even a good game, but not what i'm talking about now) correctly.  BioWare may boost the quality of MMOs as a whole and bring in some innovation to the class genre, but when it comes to sandbox games....  noone stops to think about how to make it better and how to make it work.. they just throw all the pieces together and hope people don't notice its faults.

I know I'm off topic, so sorry to the OP. But you guys asking about the Fallout MMO. www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/04/bethesda-pursue/

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I know I'm off topic, so sorry to the OP. But you guys asking about the Fallout MMO. www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/04/bethesda-pursue/

...aww I WANTED an elder scrolls MMO.......  OH well.. Fallout is good too.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

...aww I WANTED an elder scrolls MMO.......  OH well.. Fallout is good too.

tbh, I think Bethesda could do both, but they would have to take out so much. My favorite aspect of both Fallout 3 and Morrowind/Oblivion, was being able to almost wipe out entire towns/cities. So choice that actaull effected the world. But that is a single player feature, as  far as I know. With freedom of that scale the MMO wouldn't last long. To many people like me just wanna raise hell in a open world like this.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Draccan

What happened to making your own story?

Developers found out that an overwhelming majority of players do not prefer being exposed to "stories" made my other, random players. 

The thing with stories is, there's an earth-shattering difference between a good one and a bad one. Good storytelling can give you hope or a new perspective on life - or break your heart or even get you into war. Whereas bad storytelling is blandness itself.

Really, a good story is among the most profound of human creations. Cherish it. :)