Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight: PAX '09: Launching This October!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Runic Games, the folks behind the upcoming MMORPG, Torchlight, have announced a release date at PAX today. Torchlight is set to release on October 27th, 2009, and will run you $19.99. For those of you who are at PAX this year, you'll get a look-see at Torchlight at the show. For the rest of us, a new "Meet the NPC's" feature has been posted on the game's official website.

Visit the official Torchlight website for more information!

Comments

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Ok the news entry says the "upcoming MMORPG Torchlight," however, when looking at the website it just looks like a Diabloesque hack and slash RPG.  It didn't even mention an online component.  Am I missing something?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

Ok the news entry says the "upcoming MMORPG Torchlight," however, when looking at the website it just looks like a Diabloesque hack and slash RPG.  It didn't even mention an online component.  Am I missing something?

The game will feature both a single player and MMO component.

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by niceguy3978

The game will feature both a single player and MMO component.

Ya, it's something like the first year after release, maybe less then that, can't remember for sure, will be like a single player version of Diablo. But then after that it will become online multi player.

Seems weird I know, but I guess they didn't want to wait on the online stuff before releasing it.

I just wonder how it's all really going to work. I mean if one does decide to play it in October, build their character(s) up to max, with the best gear for a year, and then the online thing comes out, will I still be able to play my uber made characters with others, or will I have to start all over again.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

For those who don't know, this is what's left of Mythos.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• LongswdLongswd Member Posts: 155

It's a Diablo clone, not an MMO. The criteria this site uses to label a game an MMO seems pretty arbitrary. I see many games here that are not really MMOs. DDO, GW/2, Hellgate:London before it croaked. These are not MMOs, they are multiplayer games. If they are MMOs, then why is Diablo and Diablo II with battlenet not listed? Hmmm?

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

This looks suspicously like Dungeon Runners to me, which in itself was a nice neat game but only playable for about 30 minutes at a time before it became to monotonous.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

mm saw the video ,all of you diablo fan ,this game might calm your unger for diablo3

first thing i thot was isnt this diablo?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Runic games is bringing us a single player version first then the mmo will be something like 18 months later. If you like Diablo and Daiblo 2 then you should give it a try. It is only 20 bucks for the download and the game will also be getting some updates as well.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yep this is Mythos without the multiplayer aspect.  Two things to consider here, the vast majority of the code was not written by this company, so who knows if they have the ability to actually do much with it.  Secondly, they lost a bunch of money with their investment in Hellgate, all this could be is an attempt to recoup that investment with no intention of doing much else with the game.

So, if you ask me, those two reasons alone say avoid this game like the plague.  If they improve it and release multiplayer in the future, might be worth looking into, but at this point it just seems like a waste of $20.

• hanslauferhanslaufer Member UncommonPosts: 13

i dont think they used the mythos engine becouse that game is still in the making by rebana ( or what ever the new found companie after the flagship desaster was called )

if they make it right than a nice diablo clone is mostly worth 20 bucks , get a bunch of playtime for the money. looks like the fishing part and the dog running around with you is a copy from fate an other low budget diablo clone.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Yep this is Mythos without the multiplayer aspect.  Two things to consider here, the vast majority of the code was not written by this company, so who knows if they have the ability to actually do much with it.  Secondly, they lost a bunch of money with their investment in Hellgate, all this could be is an attempt to recoup that investment with no intention of doing much else with the game.

So, if you ask me, those two reasons alone say avoid this game like the plague.  If they improve it and release multiplayer in the future, might be worth looking into, but at this point it just seems like a waste of $20.

How could you call it a waste when you haven't even played the game ? Also this team did not work on Hellgate, yes they were a part of Flagship but they were working on Mythos, not Hellgate.  They also will be making a Torchlight MMO which we will see approximately 11/2 - 2 years after the release of the single player game.

• omnifasomnifas Member Posts: 3

Yep this is Mythos without the multiplayer aspect.  Two things to consider here, the vast majority of the code was not written by this company, so who knows if they have the ability to actually do much with it.

Since when did licensing engines become a bad thing?  Yes, they are using Ogre3D, Particle Universe, CEGUI, but the most important aspect of the game, the gameplay engine which ties everything together is internally developed by Runic Games.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Doh, when Flagship folded, they let all the developers go.  The people publishing this game got the code because they owned the rights to it.   If you have ever written any software, you would know that deciphering code written by someone else is a task that can be daunting at times.   Sometimes the clueless posts you get on this board....

• omnifasomnifas Member Posts: 3

Doh, when Flagship folded, they let all the developers go.  The people publishing this game got the code because they owned the rights to it.   If you have ever written any software, you would know that deciphering code written by someone else is a task that can be daunting at times.   Sometimes the clueless posts you get on this board....

Ozmodan, I think you got the two developers/games mixed up.

Runic games - Ex-Flagship Studios developers, working on Torchlight, not using Hellgate Engine.

Redbana - Random Group of developers, working on Mythos for Hanbitsoft, using Hellgate Engine built by Flagship Studios(now Runic Games).

So yes, Redbana will have issues adapting to Flagship's(Runic Games) Code. However Torchlight is a fresh start for Runic Games(ex-flagship), using a new engine(in house) built around the Ogre3d graphic engine.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I plan on checking this out.

From what I've seen so far it looks pretty good.

At a minimum it will help my wait for D3. 

Best case, it turns out to be a really great game I'll keep playing even after D3 launches.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• SpiralMagusSpiralMagus Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by omnifas

Ozmodan, I think you got the two developers/games mixed up.

Runic games - Ex-Flagship Studios developers, working on Torchlight, not using Hellgate Engine.

Redbana - Random Group of developers, working on Mythos for Hanbitsoft, using Hellgate Engine built by Flagship Studios(now Runic Games).

So yes, Redbana will have issues adapting to Flagship's(Runic Games) Code. However Torchlight is a fresh start for Runic Games(ex-flagship), using a new engine(in house) built around the Ogre3d graphic engine.

Indeed Ozmodan is a bit misinformed here.  I've been following Runic / Torchlight development for a while, and based on interviews I've seen with the developers, it looks as though Torchlight has been developed from scratch (aside from the Ogre3D graphics engine).  It is not based on Mythos code at all, but some of these developers did work on Mythos.

What they've shown so far looks really good to me - especially the extensive modding tools.

• NeedlehawkNeedlehawk Member Posts: 4

Omnifas and SpiralMagus are exactly right. Runic games is the company that was formed by Travis Baldree (Fate) and the Schaeffer brothers (Diablo, Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD) after they lost Mythos due to the implosion of Flagship. Torchlight has been built from scratch from the ground up.

It will ship first as a single-player game with modding tools. There are already a core group of folks over on the official forums raring to go on mods, so I'm anticipating a lot of player built content.

There will be an F2P MMO released about 18 months later set in the same world as Torchlight. You will NOT be able to transfer your single-player characters, since you have all the mod tools available to you in the SP game.