Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a gamer why would I want to install Windows 7?

Is there a carrot for us gamers like there was DX 10 with Vista?

Why would I give up on this sweet Windows Vista Ultimate that works perfect and offers everything I need? Or does it?

I think I'm going to skip Windows 7 unless someone can convince me otherweise. How about you?

R.I.P Chikaca Whachuchuimage

Comments

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Well, when Vista first came out, it was a piece of crap. So most people stayed with XP. Now, they're releasing Windows 7 which is what Vista SHOULD have been. Staying with XP would actually be kind of stupid in my opinion. A lot of the time, Microsoft will stop supporting their older operating systems and I don't think that XP will be any different. In fact, it's not smart to NOT upgrade to a new operating system, granted you could wait a while, but eventually it'll be necessary. I know someone who finally just upgraded from Windows Millenia because everything just started becoming more and more of a problem; games wouldn't install and programs stopped working properly.

Frankly, if you look at Windows 7 and the beta thats been going on, you'll find that Windows 7 stability and ease of use, is far superior to Windows Vista and in fact, is (in my opinion) better then XP, especially if you plan to use more then 4 gigs of RAM, the 64 bit actually works, flawlessly. The only problem I've had since installing the beta of Windows 7, was actually with Gameguard + Aion, and thats only because Gameguard didn't update their program to include Windows 7 until recently.

I mean, it of course would be up to you, but there is always incentive to upgrading to a new operating system. Staying current, is always better, at least in the gaming world.

In my opinion.

P.S. Up until the beta, I used the same OS as you, but considering the fact that there ARE bugs and problems with Vista, and that they are all fixed and cleaned up with Windows 7, why wouldn't you upgrade?

• IrishIrish Member UncommonPosts: 259

Splinki has it right.

I'm still using XP pro until my copy of 7 comes in.

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Whenever Microsoft release something new I always wait for a while till all reports are on par with the old.  In the case of Window Vista, I might change to it instead of 7 soon, but for now XP is fine with me.

If all reports are good though, I might just skip Vista all together.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by linren

Whenever Microsoft release something new I always wait for a while till all reports are on par with the old.  In the case of Window Vista, I might change to it instead of 7 soon, but for now XP is fine with me.

I would completely skip vista in favor of windows 7.  Win 7 is basically vista with all the fixes.  I have XP on one of my computers and Win 7 on the other.  I am quite happy with both setups.  Normally, I do the same as you, waiting on the current OS until about the second service pack at least.  After being in the Win 7 beta for the last 6 months or so, I am seriously considering not waiting on this one.  But that is just my opinion.  Always go with what feels right to you.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Windows 7 provides DX10 without Vista. Huge memory management improvments over Vista.  So really its all about wanting DX10 or not.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Win 7 is a really good system. Too bad a lot of ooold games(from win98 era XP) didn't work properly with it so I came back to xp.

• MystlynxMystlynx Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by liquescent

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming_performance/

That article is from Jan 23.  I would be interested to see what that same setup would run like now.  Win 7 now runs better than it did 8 months ago, the drivers are better, etc.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Windows 7 provides DX10 without Vista. Huge memory management improvments over Vista.  So really its all about wanting DX10 or not.

That is pretty much the only reason to upgrade to windows 7. Windows Vista is sluggish, buggy and slower than XP but has DX 10. Windows 7, I heard, is faster and better than Vista and has DX 10 support so you can't go wrong here (unless it is buggy and has alot of compatibility issues which I have not heard is the case).

• mortharxmortharx Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by liquescent

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_7_gaming_performance/

According to that Vista still beats Win 7 in performance.

I will hold my judgement however until it's released and see new tests then. Anyone have more up to date tests to link?

R.I.P Chikaca Whachuchuimage

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by dhayes68

That is pretty much the only reason to upgrade to windows 7. Windows Vista is sluggish, buggy and slower than XP but has DX 10. Windows 7, I heard, is faster and better than Vista and has DX 10 support so you can't go wrong here (unless it is buggy and has alot of compatibility issues which I have not heard is the case).

Well I know 7 is better in terms of performance due to dx10 and other enhancements, but yeah compatibility is always the biggest issue when it comes to new operating systems.  Usually I don't stand first in line to get the new ones for that reason alone.

Once compatibility is mostly solved and the system is stable / reliable enough to take the abuse, definitely getting 7.  For now I still hear reports about some of 7's buggy issues being resolved.  Only time will tell, but the outlook is promising.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

There is no reason to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 for me. I have zero issues with Vista and it runs fine. I still can play old games with some tinkering and that is good enough for me. With that said I never upgrade to a new OS until at least the first service patch is out.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I am using Windows 7 64bit beta for couple of months now. Why?

The main reason is that it is a legal and free OS. The performance is simply great. The system starts up as fast as fresh installation of Win XP.

Only issue I had so far is PunkBuster for Far Cry 2 multiplayer but that's because of UbiSoft.
    Internet Explorer sometime gets stuck at loading web pages but I didn't investigate what the issue might be because I am not using it.

In my case, the question would be: Why to use anything else?

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Win 7 is a really good system. Too bad a lot of ooold games(from win98 era XP) didn't work properly with it so I came back to xp.

You  can run Virtual XP in Windows 7 that way you can get the best of both worlds.

I like windows 7 im on XP right now till 7 releases, then im buying that shit. I tested both Vista and 7 and 7 is by far better, and faster. I had no reason to upgrade to vista before, no dx10 games I wanted to play plus my hardware couldn't take advantage of the os.

I bought a new computer a year ago and now its time to upgrade I guess I timed things out pretty well.

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

Windows 7 rocks. Very fast comparatively, And yes, the memory management is pretty bad ass. And...it automatically takes some of your extra memory (completely extra memory that you never even miss) and uses it towards graphics. It doesn't improve graphics (That's up to you card), but it does help process graphics faster. I have a 256mb card, but I also installed 4 gigs of RAM. Windows 7 automatically borrowed about 1.2 gigs and put it towards graphics. So now I have about 1500mb (1.5gig) in video memory. The best part is after installing some games, several music programs and a about 50 other various programs, I'm still only using 25% of my memory,  No configuring needed. Pretty nifty.

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

Originally posted by cukimunga
    You do know you can run Virtual XP in Windows 7 that way you can get the best of both worlds.

Don't know wheter support for DirectX was improved but it was a big issue for virtual tools a while back when I was using some to test stuff.

• frozenvoidfrozenvoid Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by mortharx

Is there a carrot for us gamers like there was DX 10 with Vista?
    Why would I give up on this sweet Windows Vista Ultimate that works perfect and offers everything I need? Or does it?
    I think I'm going to skip Windows 7 unless someone can convince me otherweise. How about you?

there is no reason right now to switch. vista is all you need. most developers dont even offer dx10 support yet nevermind the fact of dx11 games being a year away at best. also you should never switch to a OS at launch. always wait for the first service pack.

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144

you WILL have to do this at some point for the one and only reason every (forced) microsoft customer has to do this:

=> because of support! at some point in time the previous crap from microsoft will be discontinued, so you will no longer get security fixes, etc.

conclusion:

if you are not willing your system to expierience bit-rot :) or severe security holes without vendor support ==> what other solution do you have?

None in my opinion.

PS: BTW i kicked this crap out of my private systems years ago.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Vista was crap on release, failed to impress the market and is dead in the water.  I work in PC retail and repair, and even now it is rare for anyone to order a new machine and ask for Vista to be installed on it.  We actually get more people bringing new machines in, for us to remove Vista and put XP on, than people wanting Vista.

We've been running the Microsoft pre-release of Windows 7 for months, on our in-store systems, and we all, without exception, love it.  Not one of us has ever kept Vista on their machine for more than 3 to 5 days, so universally do the staff loathe Vista.

It's going to be quite cheap in the UK, too, with Amazon selling Windows 7 Home Premium for a measly £65.  A win all 'round.

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

Doesn't windows 7 have dx11?

Originally posted by dstar.
    Doesn't windows 7 have dx11?

Yes, it does. Well, my build at least :)

However it is available for Vista as well, if this is what you had on your mind.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Because WIndows 7 is better than Windows Vista.

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

Lets face it none of you know if its better or not, yes they release a list of impromenst but this doesnt mean performance increases.

No wonder Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the bank once again.

• DameausDameaus Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by zazz

Lets face it none of you know if its better or not, yes they release a list of impromenst but this doesnt mean performance increases.

No wonder Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the bank once again.

uuhhhhhhhhhhh.... a lot of people actually DO know for a fact that it is better.... its called "running the release candidate" which at this point is pretty much identical to the final build of the OS. windows 7 release candidate runs smoothly and plays games just fine. and did i mention that it is set up more more logically than vista?

• thaniththanith Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Because WIndows 7 is better than Windows Vista.

theorem: WIndows 7 is better than Windows Vista.

proof: ???