Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear Funcom 2

13»

Comments

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Indeed it would be silly to condemn or praise this game before it comes out. However FC does excel at producing hype. Hype that it doesn't live up to.

I'd wait til after the game launches and get a free trial before I'd check it out.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Aercus

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by Theocritus

It will be interesting to see if FUncom can actually have a decent launch for once......Both AO and AoC have been among the worst launches in MMO history.

I cant believe any self respecting gamer would even think of giving Fucnob any money after the the epic fail that is AO and AOC

Thank *god* Blizzard/NCSoft/SOE have completely smooth and bug free launches of every single of their MMO's...

General rule: Don't expect too much of  a computer program the first year. A bunch of monkeys monkying around for an extendend period of time will always find holes. FYI, Microsoft is still patching XP..

That is the exact mentality that has lead to the condition the mmo market is in right now.  Why not expecty a decent game at release?  The company making the game expects us to pay for it, so why should our standard be set so low?

NCSoft actually has really good releases.  Blizzards one release was a great game, but they did not have enough hardware to satisfy demand for the game and it bogged down the entire system.  SOE, well you have a point, but look how the once mighty giant is doing now.

I'm sorry, but if a company releases a game, then people should expect it to be good on day one.  Not perfect, not bug free, but good.  There is no reason to wait a year for a company to get their act together anymore and as witnessed right here in conan, people are done waiting.  You don't see this type of mentality in the console market, so why should the pc market be any different?

Funcom is not going to get a full year of forgiveness with their next mmo.  They need to come out strong with their next release and be honest about what it does and does not do.  Anything short of that is just going to repeat the mass exodus seen in AO and Conan.

Buddy, I'm all for it!

But be realistic, the amount of coding that goes into a modern program is so vast that bugs will persist and releasing a perfect product is impossible. A few years back it was acceptable that 1 in 10 cars was a lemon.

Not to say AoC wasn't released a year early..

• MoodahMoodah Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by Aercus

Buddy, I'm all for it!
    But be realistic, the amount of coding that goes into a modern program is so vast that bugs will persist and releasing a perfect product is impossible. A few years back it was acceptable that 1 in 10 cars was a lemon.
    Not to say AoC wasn't released a year early..

I don't think the bugyness was the main problem with AOC. It had some problems, but nothing abnormal that people could not close their eyes to if the game was good. They overhyped their game out of all proportions, and when people finally got to play it, they were severely dissapointed because it was nowhere near the hype. Even though the game was not that bad, it was not what they hyped it up to be.

I hope they learned from their passed releases, because I loved both Tornquist's games (TLJ, dreamfall) and know that the guy is an awesome storyteller, and I hope he is able to transfer that into the MMO enviroment successfully because the thematics of this game is really interesting and something else.

This time arround though I will resist faling for any hype and wait for it to come out, initial boom to calm down and people to play it for a month or two before I decide.

• JesterDarklyJesterDarkly Member Posts: 20

It's both wrong to condemn and to praise the game, while there are almost no real information about the game itself. We can only hope that it will be good. It's also wrong to judge a game before it's release just because the company that is making it had some problems with previous releases. So calm down and wait until you can play it. Only then you'll have a real solid opinion to whether it's a failure or not.

• MordridMordrid Member Posts: 237

While I think Funcom has its share of issues and blunders with AO and AoC, I like the concept of TSW and how they are promoting it. With AoC, it was crammed down our throats to the point where it was gonna fail no matter what unless it was the most amazing game of all. Sadly, the game was release half finished and poorly executed. With TSW, they are giving us teasers. They are barely giving us any information. I think it fits the theme of the game. Personally, I will be watching the game progress and see where it goes.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by grimfall
    Dear OP,

Dungeons and Dragons was based on Lords of the Rings and Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.  Yet the IP is different.  Not that hard to grasp.

Regards,
    Concerned Reader.

You will never convince the stupid. Some people just want to hate and they are the same people that don't want to think.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by dhayes68

Indeed it would be silly to condemn or praise this game before it comes out. However FC does excel at producing hype. Hype that it doesn't live up to.
    I'd wait til after the game launches and get a free trial before I'd check it out.

I will get the CE when it comes out. But that is just me ;)

Hell I would get lifetime sub for it if they offer it...

I will give you a few reasons:

1. Funcom's beautiful engine (now refined and hopefully with a lot less bugs)

2. Ragner's vision

3. The lore which is a mixture of conspiracy theories and Lovecraft. Vampires, zombies, horrors lurking in the dark.

4. Screenshots already show the kind of game I want to play; realistic yet it has it's own style

5. Class-less and level-less game.

6. The idea of being a katana-swinging magic-user.

7. Three factions instead of two - a simple but brilliant design choice!

:)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

There are 2 companies in the MMO genre in which a mass number of people have boycotted.

First and foremost is SOE, I personally have not been burnt by them but I will be extremly weary of their future titles, because I have followed what they have done. 

Second is Funcom. I was burnt by them(yup AoC). I can get past the bad launch, and even the missing features. What is disgustingly appalling is how they handled themselves post launch. They had no idea what was going on. That was evident when they buffed my already OP soul swarm, just to severely nerf it next week. The constant lies, patch after patch was all, well mostly screwing around with classes when the game had horrendous problems besides class balance. I read something that at AoC's launch that half the AoC crew left to go to Funcoms new MMO. That really pissed me off because AoC was in dire need of help. Now it seems this is the new MMO.

I havnt looked up who this guy is that is doing TSW? You guys list some games hes done? I am assuming, I havnt heard of or played any of them. I am assuming they are not MMO's. Does this guy have any MMO experience? If not well its already looking bad, because an MMO is a whole different beast.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by toddze

There are 2 companies in the MMO genre in which a mass number of people have boycotted.
    First and foremost is SOE, I personally have not been burnt by them but I will be extremly weary of their future titles, because I have followed what they have done. 
    Second is Funcom. I was burnt by them(yup AoC). I can get past the bad launch, and even the missing features. What is disgustingly appalling is how they handled themselves post launch. They had no idea what was going on. That was evident when they buffed my already OP soul swarm, just to severely nerf it next week. The constant lies, patch after patch was all, well mostly screwing around with classes when the game had horrendous problems besides class balance. I read something that at AoC's launch that half the AoC crew left to go to Funcoms new MMO. That really pissed me off because AoC was in dire need of help. Now it seems this is the new MMO.
    I havnt looked up who this guy is that is doing TSW? You guys list some games hes done? I am assuming, I havnt heard of or played any of them. I am assuming they are not MMO's. Does this guy have any MMO experience? If not well its already looking bad, because an MMO is a whole different beast.

But do you sleep okay?

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by toddze

Lore/Story Writer/Creative Director of:
    Anarchy Online(Ok we all know it had a bad launch, but its also one of the most unique mmos ever created, not to mention that it pioneered a lot of new ideas and guess whose ideas those were?)

Producer/Writer/Director of :
    The Longest Journey(world-wide critical acclaim for this)
    Dreamfall(also known as Dreamfall: Chapter I)(a sequel to TLJ, also a critically acclaimed, got GoTY title for the WIN it caused)

So we have critically acclaimed man at the helm of TSW. A Man who could observe two funcom MMORPG launches from bystander's POV(and even right out said in one of interviews that AoC "only had content for one month" and that it suffered from "early launch" and that "instancing killed it").

A man who is also responsible for every WIN part of AO.(Gaute being responsible for every FAIL part of AO).

His track record so far shows only great games, so, so far, saying that his next game will be shit would equal saying that the next game by Tim Schafer will be shit.

EDIT:
    Not to mention that R.Tornquist was "crafting" the concept for this mmo since 1999

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON