Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2 - Would you play it?

Ok simple question after reading Garret Fuller's column, if Mythic were to ressurect Dark age of Camelot and make it bigger and better, update graphics, etc. - Would you play it???

For me its a yes.

Comments

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

If it's good and done well, hell yea.  I don't see that happening though, EA would destroy it.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I'd defiently try it mainly because I've heard alot of good things about daoc when it was in its prime. It would be interesting for sure.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

hmm DAoC had a nicely visioned world, and it's realm vs realm was it's highlight. It's classes though weren't particuarly of notice and it's PvE was horrid. I think if there was a successor it would be wiser it wouldn't be called 'DAOC2' and would come under another name so it could branch out and advance it's ideas rather than be stuck by it's original.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

I'd play it. The main thing i didn'tlike about DAoC when I played (release) was the grind. I seriously doubt they would do 2.0 as a grindfest so it would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • GismolandGismoland Member UncommonPosts: 79

DAoC would have to be one hell of an upgrade compared to the first one, soo many changes like in SWG. Still if they can keep it going long enough for ppl to play I might look at it..

It would have to have graphics like World of Warcraft to be my type of game.

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

I played DaoC on and off for the last 7 years, so yes I would love to try a DaoC 2 . I finally quit about 3 months ago, I just got tried of waiting for Mythic to do something with it.

• gnomechefgnomechef Member Posts: 49

yep, it was such a great game but lately its been feeling a bit old and finished, like theres not much to do, so i figured if keep the same premise that was DAoC with the factions and rvr and the whole core of the game, but just changed the zones quests and graphics like WoW's cataclysm is doing, plus some new classes would be pretty nice too.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

If it's done well and modeled after DAOC's RvR & realm rank setup?  Heck yeah.

If it's done like WAR, where it tries to blend WoW and other games into the mix, and do a bad job of mixing it all together?  Then no.

DAOC 2 would be very popular if they do it right, have the same 3 realm setup, have the same awesome RvR design, and built with improved graphics & engine.  Only reason I don't play DAOC now is due to how outdated it is.  It's another classic game I would love to see an upgrade for.  Unfortunately MMO companies' track records for making sequels aren't very good.  AC2 failed because it tried to change from something that not many AC1 players liked.  EQ2 didn't do as well as the first because again it changed the gameplay too much to something that EQ1 players didn't like.  DAOC2 would suffer the same fate if they make DAOC2 something that DAOC players won't like.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• DinjadaiDinjadai Member Posts: 7

If they revamped the PvE zones, quest chains, and streamlined the time it took to be RvR-ready . . . absolutely.  DAoC was a great game in its time. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Make it a true successor to the original and don't try to modernize it too much (i.e. WOWify) then sure.

But I don't think Mythic has it in them any more to make such a game, especially now that EA owns them.

We'd have to hope they sold off the franchise to a smaller house that would be satisfied with a 500K sub game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Nope, if it is just bigger, better, with more graphics but is still the same DAoC, then I rather they move on and and make a similar game based on the ideas they have success with in DAoC and improve on areas it was weak in.  It is a fun game, and I'd play it again if the popularity picks back up, but just getting a makeover is not going to be enough at this point.

This is probably also why no one will try to make a sequel for it, but they can always make a similar system design and call it DAoC 2.  The problem with that though is when a game's lore is based on existing history/novels/mythology then it becomes harder to make a proper sequel.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by gnomechef

Ok simple question after reading Garret Fuller's column, if Mythic were to ressurect Dark age of Camelot and make it bigger and better, update graphics, etc. - Would you play it???
    For me its a yes.

I loved DAoC but unfortunately its very unlikely that I would enjoy DAoC 2 if it ever got made as it would probably just end being another badly designed mess. After inflicting Wankhammer on the world Mythic have proved that they are now incapable of making decent mmos. I reckon all the talented members of staff that originally worked on DAoC have now left the company. Hopefully though another more talented games company might take inspiration from DAoC and make a game that could pass for its sequel.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by neonwire

I reckon all the talented members of staff that originally worked on DAoC have now left the company. Hopefully though another more talented games company might take inspiration from DAoC and make a game that could pass for its sequel.

Those that left EA Mythic includes Mark Jacobs.  I can only hope Mark will get a new company together with their previous talents, and buy back the rights to DAOC's IP so they can make a sequel to it.  They'll have to accept a smaller company, smaller game.  But with how large companies & large game like WAR tanking, I don't see how smaller could be bad.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• MistmouseMistmouse Member Posts: 91

The chances that we will see a true DaoC 2 are slim to none, but its nice to dream!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by gnomechef

For me its a yes.

I loved DAoC but unfortunately its very unlikely that I would enjoy DAoC 2 if it ever got made as it would probably just end being another badly designed mess. After inflicting Wankhammer on the world Mythic have proved that they are now incapable of making decent mmos. I reckon all the talented members of staff that originally worked on DAoC have now left the company. Hopefully though another more talented games company might take inspiration from DAoC and make a game that could pass for its sequel.

Yeah, I can't imagine who could rightfully make such a game.  Certainly not Mythic, anymore.  They've only shown utter cluelessness about what made DAOC such a success.  I'd rather just see other games try to learn from DAOC, and incorporate some of its better elements into their own game.  A true sequel would be hopeless.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i think the poll speaks for itself

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

What is "Mythic" anymore?

Certainly not the company I used to love.  I really used to admire their small company fighting spirit.  Funny how growing can make you become smaller where it really counts.

===============================

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I have this great fear int he pit of my stomach that if there ever came a Dark Age of Camelot 2 it would not even be a spiritual successor to the original but rather some ill conceived idea like WAR was.  Whatever company decided to make it would more then likely attempt to make it appeal to the current WoW audience and the like thus alienating the DAoC population once more just like WAR did.  A lot of "old" Mythic's fan base would come flocking because they would see DAoC in the title but would soon turn their backs and push Mythic away even further then they are now.

My hope is that somewhere out there there's a new small company starting out with a great idea/concept that can pioneer some new ideas in this genre or at least make a product with appeal to more then just the WoW audience, be the "new" Mythic and stick to their guns and not sully their name.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Call me weird, but even if it was tailored to appeal more to the "WoW crowd" with RvR mixed in, I'd still play it. Why?

1. The first thing I loved about DAoC was the lore. The world is a beautiful mix of Dark Age era Medieval buildings. Hibernia, Albion and Midgard each have their own climate, their own lore, etc. The world was really immersive, at least to me. The one thing DAoC2 would have is improved graphics, so in my book, the DAoC world with improved graphics is an automatic win.
    2. If they took some things from WoW (like they did with WAR), then it'll only improve the game. The most obvious example is the UI. Whether you like WoW or not, WoW has a simple, functional UI. I liked WAR's UI and I think by copying WoW's modular UI design and offering advanced customization capability, Mythic took a step in the right direction.
    3. There's one thing I want Mythic to take from WAR: PQs. They work (though perhaps not as well as we'd wish) and they're fun. They shouldn't be part of any grinding, however.
    4. Mythic needs to have variety at endgame if they're going to make a DAoC2. Some people say that the "game started at level 50" in the original DAoC. That's good, that's what you want to hear. Keep the RvR system from the original DAoC but have some PvE elements at endgame (yes, dungeons, but make the gear from PvE valuable while making sure, at best, it's on-par with RvR gear, not better). That kind of variety and ever-shifting player created content (the RvR war) ensures alot of fun even at max level. Darkness Falls definitely needs to be in DAoC2.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. DAoC was really a great game, but since I played it when I was younger and it was only my second MMO, I'm not quite sure I understood what was so great about it. Now I think I do, and I think DAoC2 would be awesome. The key thing is to stick with what made the first DAoC great, then build from there. Though with WAR, my confidence in Mythic is shaken...

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

I always loved DAOC's Arthurian setting, which probably was what made me enjoy it so much in it's prime. So yes, I would definitely give DAOC2 a shot if it ever came to be.

• MalianeaMalianea Member Posts: 314

Would you play DAoC 2 if it were made by a different company under a different name?

Assuming the features and feel of DAoC were there, as was the fantasy/medieval setting etc...

Malianea

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

The only 2 things that keep me from playing DAoC now is in RvR the CC, instant death. My mains were rogues/casters. It was difficult to play ORvR when once an enemy was on you the only thing you could do was /sit. I only played on core servers. Those items from SI and the extra mastery lines destroyed the game; kewl concept just needed more follow thru.

I feel there would need to be more strategy in RvR. I am tired of the strategy in MMOs is BURST dmg. These game have gone from a 1-2min fights to 5-10sec. I would rather play a game that each class’ role was to kill a specific class. (ex. Warriors killed healers; Archers killed Warriors; Casters killed Archers; Healers kill casters) now this would not mean a warrior could not kill a caster but it was be harder then an archer. People tend to think balance means my character should kill ANYONE as an equal to other classes. Anyway I will stop here before I get too far off topic.

If done right I would play a DAoC2, I gave DAoC five yrs.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Mardy

Those that left EA Mythic includes Mark Jacobs.  I can only hope Mark will get a new company together with their previous talents, and buy back the rights to DAOC's IP so they can make a sequel to it. 

Funny. I hope he stays out of the business for good.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SasoriSasori Member Posts: 14

Loved DAOC, would definately play a sequal.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

In a heartbeat. I've never enjoyed the "full package" of a MMORPG as much as when I played DAOC. With a robust PVE environment and a great PVP system (both the open-world RvR and the scenario-based keep fighting), not to mention the infamous Darkness Falls dungeon dynamic; DAOC 1 had the best overall experience for me of any MMO to date.

The biggest issue with the game was always balance. In Mythic's attempt to have unique "versions" of the classes with EACH of the three realms, they created an extremely difficult dynamic to balance. I think I would prefer them to offer the same classes between each realm in DAOC, but provide an expanded offering (maybe a total of 10 classes). Races can then be used to "flavor" the differences between Realms, not to mention the "theme" of the realm.

Heck, if they somehow took the content of DAOC and slapped a revamped engine (complete with improved UI and controls) and brought back a few thousand players, I would be playing it right now.