Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another NcSoft Game

dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Not allot of info on this game yet, only to report its another NcSoft Game.

Comments

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

yeah, another welcome success. :)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

Amazing isn''t it! NcSoft with another winner coming!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

NC soft is only publishing it. It is made by the team who made Warcraft 3 (even though Strain quited a year ago).

Arenanet have nothing in common with NC soft except the fact that both uses NC soft as a publisher.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Double WIN then :)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Triple win! 

• MircyMircy Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Loke666
    NC soft is only publishing it. It is made by the team who made Warcraft 3 (even though Strain quited a year ago).
    Arenanet have nothing in common with NC soft except the fact that both uses NC soft as a publisher.

That was for GW1 couse now Arenanet is part of NCWest.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679
    Originally posted by Mircy

That was for GW1 couse now Arenanet is part of NCWest.

Anet is owned by NCSoft since 2002, that includes GW1, but as far as i know Anet works indepandend from NC

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

Arena Net is owned/funded by NCsoft. This will do very well in the west. At its peak GW1 had 3 mil active players

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Arena Net is owned/funded by NCsoft. This will do very well in the west. At its peak GW1 had 3 mil active players

And sold over 6 million copies, no monthly fees.

The first game was completely different - no focus on 1337 gear, but rather on skills choice and strategy, now that it gets a true MMO version (GW1 was a CORPG), I can't hold my excitement for it. I just hope leveling won't be that limited again, especially because on GW2 when you enter competitive PvP your level and stat gears will be even with everyone else so they can do some great things for PvE now.

Must...play.

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146

I've never played Guild Wars before. I must admit though, GW2 does look very good. I'll be playing anyway.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by EricDanie

I just hope leveling won't be that limited again, especially because on GW2 when you enter competitive PvP your level and stat gears will be even with everyone else so they can do some great things for PvE now.

max level in PvE will be very high, probably unlimited.

I wonder how this is going to work with open-world PvP, tho... maybe the Mists will be the only area for open-world PvP, but that woud kinda suck. I'd prefer true open-world PvP as "fun-PvP".

Hype train -> Reality

• MrPhireMrPhire Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

Originally posted by EricDanie

I just hope leveling won't be that limited again, especially because on GW2 when you enter competitive PvP your level and stat gears will be even with everyone else so they can do some great things for PvE now.

max level in PvE will be very high, probably unlimited.

I wonder how this is going to work with open-world PvP, tho... maybe the Mists will be the only area for open-world PvP, but that woud kinda suck. I'd prefer true open-world PvP as "fun-PvP".

Yeah, from what I've heard the PVP players will be the ones who choose a PVP charecter and not the PVE charecter just like in the original. Giving you a chance to be your own little society. Open World PvP is availible with your PvE charecter, but because as said the max level has been rumored to be VERY High that I don't believe PvE charecters will be allowed to PvP in the same ways PvP charecters can. GvG is probably availible to PvE, but all the other pvp styles implemented before, besides AB will probably be limited to PvP players. They are trying to restrict a player from being in PvE gear and it's actually better than PvP gear. Similar to how WoW's new itemization between PvE and PvP items. In WotLK Tier Gear is horrible in PvP, Season Gear is goo in PvP, Tier Gear is Great in PvE, and Season gear is epic fail in PvE.

Playing: Guild Wars and Exteel
    Loved: WoW, Guild Wars, FFXI, and Lineage 2
    Liked: Exteel, WAR, and Lineage 1
    Hated:City of Heroes, City of Villians, Matrix Online, Runescape, and D&D Online.
    Waiting For: Aion, Guild Wars 2, FFXIV, and SW:TOR

• Tr0nc3kTr0nc3k Member Posts: 30

While ArenaNet is part of NCsoft, the development of Guild Wars 2 is completely in the hands of ArenaNet.

So GW2 is not a NCsoft game perse. :)

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

You should go back if you can afford it and pick up everything for the first Guild Wars.  The graphics are top-notch which is to be expected from NSCoft.  There is a large majority of Asian influence on the style but what do you expect with an international company.  Make a pvp character and you can PVP right away though the clans usually win.

I still go to Guild Wars once in a while and the game is not going anywhere.  I haven;t even touched on Eye Of The North yet with my highest character level 13.  People are still going to play though lose some to Guild Wars 2.  The first one is a very nice hobbie!  Get into it and you will see.  It will never close down.  Plus, capped at level 20, they can always go to add-on to level 30.  :-)

Aion is good and will eventually attract alot of players if not already.  Its engine is very similar to a combo of Lineage 2 and WOW.  Personally I think they may need more servers but it is NcSoft and there servers are at other places besides the US.  Blizzard threw WOW: Cataclym in this mess too.  The Worgen characters are very appealing in their next expansion.  Who in the hell wouldn't want to play a werewolf toon.

If it runs on my system, which is now old 3.0 ghz, i will play it.  Surprisingly Aion runs great but then I haven't been to the big cities yet..  But I am expecting all duo core system specs.  If not, they get my money.

GlassEye

• sylverCodesylverCode Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Kalay

There is a large majority of Asian influence on the style but what do you expect with an international company.

I beg to differ. The only "Asian influence" in the game, and it was done on purpose, is in the Factions campaign.

Guild Wars franchise is developed by an American company - ArenaNet, that is funded and published by an Asian company - NcSoft. That's it. NcSoft does not interfere in the development process.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Kalay

There is a large majority of Asian influence on the style but what do you expect with an international company. 

No there isn't. You are confusing Factions for that. Guild Wars has had always had a cultural theme in each of the campaigns. I think you are using the deliberate Asian theme of factions as Asian influence over the whole game, which there isn't.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

NCsoft own Arenanet, they bought them.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by SgtFrog
    Originally posted by Loke666 NC soft is only publishing it. It is made by the team who made Warcraft 3 (even though Strain quited a year ago).

Arenanet never really existed alone; they got NCSoft to fund Guild Wars because they were the people that made Warcraft, and NCSoft salivated at the idea. They left Blizzard, which is why everything from Blizzard sucks now, and Arenanet makes great games. Arenanet functions totally independently; that was part of the contract as Anet said years ago. They are part of NCWest because they are a western company, but they do not answer to NCSoft. NCSoft is happy to have them making games under them. They get profit from some of the greatest minds in gaming and don't have to work for the privilege. Anet has the financial security that comes from being under NCSoft. Guild Wars was nothing like other NC offerings, and NC is glad to have someone so different under them. Please understand what you are saying before making short quips that you think are smart.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394

Since none of you understand how games are made or published. And to go further none of you know the difference. I will explain it to you all.

NCSoft is a publisher, they are in charge of Advertisement sales and related things, and generally fund development of the games they publish. They do not develop it, however they do have some say as they funded it(usually)

ArenaNet is a developer, they create the game. That is their job. They do not usually market it or deal with anything else.

ArenaNet is not owned by NCSoft only funded by them, and as it stands they work as they are, without interference of NCSoft.

Quote from a few weeks ago...

Hi all,

I wanted to take a moment to offer my personal note on Jeff's departure.

Jeff is a personal friend of mine. We worked together very closely from the time he joined Blizzard in 1996, through our founding of ArenaNet in 2000, until he left ArenaNet to join NCsoft West in 2008. I'm sad to see him leaving NCsoft now. We remain good friends and I wish him great success in his next endeavor.

It's important to understand that ArenaNet is a separate and self-contained development studio. Jeff hasn't been involved in the day-to-day development of Guild Wars 2 since he left ArenaNet more than a year ago, and I don't expect his departure to have a direct impact on our studio or on Guild Wars 2. I continue to lead ArenaNet, and I'm not going anywhere.

We have an amazing team here at ArenaNet, and we continue to work hard on Guild Wars 2, preparing for the day when we can first reveal it to the world. That day is coming very soon now. I'm confident that, when you see Guild Wars 2 for the first time, you're going to love what you see, and any worries you have about its development will fade away.

--Mike O'Brien 01:56, 12 August 2009 (UTC)

That was released after the departure of Jeff from NCSoft, he was no longer with ArenaNet at that time. They are two separate companies and have two different jobs. Hopefully you now know what a publisher and a developer is.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Leodious

Arenanet never really existed alone; they got NCSoft to fund Guild Wars because they were the people that made Warcraft, and NCSoft salivated at the idea. They left Blizzard, which is why everything from Blizzard sucks now, and Arenanet makes great games. Arenanet functions totally independently; that was part of the contract as Anet said years ago. They are part of NCWest because they are a western company, but they do not answer to NCSoft. NCSoft is happy to have them making games under them. They get profit from some of the greatest minds in gaming and don't have to work for the privilege. Anet has the financial security that comes from being under NCSoft. Guild Wars was nothing like other NC offerings, and NC is glad to have someone so different under them. Please understand what you are saying before making short quips that you think are smart.

Why are you taking what I said offensively, I know perfectly well who arenanet are and their relationship with NCsoft, the user said that Arenanet have nothing in relation to NCsoft which was incorrect

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Leodious

I dont completely agree with you on the "Guild Wars was nothing like other NC offerings"  GW is very near graphically speaking to the style of every NCSoft Games, even if they are a western company

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by spyder2k5

Since none of you understand how games are made or published. And to go further none of you know the difference. I will explain it to you all.
     NCSoft is a publisher, they are in charge of Advertisement sales and related things, and generally fund development of the games they publish. They do not develop it, however they do have some say as they funded it(usually)
     ArenaNet is a developer, they create the game. That is their job. They do not usually market it or deal with anything else.

Technically speaking, NCsoft is a hybrid. They publish and develop their own games sometimes. Such as Aion itself, it is completely self developed and published themselves.

In ArenaNets case, they will not get any help in the "money" department in order to advertise the game. Though NCsoft will help promote Guildwars 2, the promoting is all funded from Arenanets pockets. Hence, "Riskier"

• MorningStarGGMorningStarGG Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by denshing

Technically speaking, NCsoft is a hybrid. They publish and develop their own games sometimes. Such as Aion itself, it is completely self developed and published themselves.

True but in this case they are not. They are simply a publisher.

Owner/Admin of GodlessGamer.com - Gaming news and reviews for the godless.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by denshing

Exactly, Aion and the Lineage games are made by NCSoft, games like Guild Wars, City of Heroes/Villains, Tabula Rasa, are all games developed by others to be distributed by NC

• CoffeeGruntCoffeeGrunt Member Posts: 192

Well im not that exited bout GW2 , although i loved GW pre add ons.. wich was the only (Arena) NCS title i ever enjoyed.

The same goes for  all the other  announced stuff , no exitement  at all .