Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Review - I thought this game was going to suck -

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by taus01

Originally posted by neoterrar

Just a quick note on the coyotes...again
    Mobs will attack mechanical vehicles also. They aren't scaving they just do that.
    Other games like...Ryzom actually have mobs wandering and feeding on each other.
    So I resent the implication this game has anything like that.

They do not roam as much as in Ryzom but they do attack each other. Mutants/Zombies often attack nearby wildlife like Wolves and Spiders.

To the people saying the game has 90's graphics: Get your facts straight, you just sound so amazingly stupid saying that. If anything i would say the enginge is on par with engines developed around 2004-2005 with plenty of improvements.

agreed.. You dont have to like the graphics, but to say that they are 90's is just being ignorant. We all know what everquest pre-luclin looked like and if you can't tell a difference you may need your eyes checked.

They are not the absolute best graphics but they do get the job done.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by wes4mu089

This is where my smart-assery comes in to play, lol.

Lets do a compare and contrast of some popular 90's games... first up? Hexen released in the early 90's.

Next up... Duke Nukem 3D, 1995

And Last but not least, Half-Life, 1998

And just for kicks and giggles, lets go ahead and do a game from 2004.

I present to you Unreal Tournament, 2004

And last but not least, Fallen Earth.

Ok, so the graphics aren't next generation, they're still damn good for the time. And with the sheer size of this game, the graphics don't bother me one bit. In fact, I quite enjoy them... damn good thing I can play an MMO that actually runs on my comp.

Nicely done, i'm fed up of people who say things like Graphics are like 90's or as someone mentioned during the recent Bioware MMO gameplay "looks like an N64 game"

realllly...

are these people so stupid they actually believe games looked all that better then........... i seriously wonder if they'd have sex with magaret thatcher because they mistook her for jessica alba.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Senadina

Sadly, I must agree that I will not be buying this game. Before closed beta, I was the biggest fangrrl for FE. The concept was amazing, and having 6 factions is a stroke of genius. But where were the factions? You can't start working on joining one until tier 2, which is level 15 or so. Never got there. Melee combat was doable, but using a rifle meant you died as soon as anything touched you. I liked the real-time crafting, but again the execution was less than the concept. And of course the graphics are sub par, and the look of an MMO, where I will be spending, presumably, a large amount of time, are very important to me. I wanted to love FE, especially from a RP standpoint, the idea of 6 factions still makes me excited, but execution wasn't there. Hope FE finds a playerbase tho, I wish it luck. 

Well said Senadina, the game will have a niche crowd including myself, but the game is'nt for everybody. Who knows, maybe will see you again in FE.

I think my draw to it is the complexity and so much to do and plan out, also to me its doesnt feel like I am on a train track and going down the same road as everybody else. I love that feeling. Also in this game, I dont feel rushed to level so I can catch up to my buddies level. AO and SWG gave me this same feeling back in the days.

You can definitely tell in BETA who are theme park mmo players vets vs the sandbox player vets, the conversations do get interesting. When they implement housing in this mmo with a open world, this game is gonna be a gem to players like me.

I really hate when mmorpgs put alot of instancing in their mmorpgs, to me it breaks the whole feeling of a game world.

Games like WAR, AoC and EQ2 had way to much loading and was hard for me to get into, however despite I had my fair share of WoW, that games open world was great! SWG was fantastic, even though there were load screens it had a nice open world, it was an exception since you had to wait for a Shuttle to take you to the next planet, it felt like it was part of the game.

• kriebloodkrieblood Member Posts: 223

Lets do a compare and contrast of some popular 90's games... first up? Hexen released in the early 90's.

Ok, so the graphics aren't next generation, they're still damn good for the time. And with the sheer size of this game, the graphics don't bother me one bit. In fact, I quite enjoy them... damn good thing I can play an MMO that actually runs on my comp.

Project V13 Forums

Mortal Online/EarthRise/Project V13
    TheVindicators.com

Originally posted by describable

Nicely done, i'm fed up of people who say things like Graphics are like 90's or as someone mentioned during the recent Bioware MMO gameplay "looks like an N64 game"

realllly...

are these people so stupid they actually believe games looked all that better then........... i seriously wonder if they'd have sex with magaret thatcher because they mistook her for jessica alba.

We got alot of drama queens that like to exaggerate the games graphics.

I believe the 90's consisted of Commore Amiga, Sega Geneis, Nintendo and Playstation.

If any of them had graphics like this  back in the 90's, well we all got screwed because I know for a fact that Ultima Online and Everquest did not look like this.

The game graphics remind me more of SWG / Vanguards mmo in a FE setting at best. I definitely can make any game look like ass if I really wanted to even the mighty Age of Conan.

And yeah, thats my character, not something that can be found on google images. Some may say that picture sucks, but its all good, I just had to find a quick pic in my screenshot folder.

This pic I took with a 2 year old 8800 Nvidia GT card and 2 year old computer w/ 3 gigs.

Now on the other hand, I agree the -- User Interface is definitely dated -- but the games graphics are fine by me.

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

Sadly, I must agree that I will not be buying this game. Before closed beta, I was the biggest fangrrl for FE. The concept was amazing, and having 6 factions is a stroke of genius. But where were the factions? You can't start working on joining one until tier 2, which is level 15 or so. Never got there. Melee combat was doable, but using a rifle meant you died as soon as anything touched you. I liked the real-time crafting, but again the execution was less than the concept. And of course the graphics are sub par, and the look of an MMO, where I will be spending, presumably, a large amount of time, are very important to me. I wanted to love FE, especially from a RP standpoint, the idea of 6 factions still makes me excited, but execution wasn't there. Hope FE finds a playerbase tho, I wish it luck. 

I really hate when mmorpgs put alot of instancing in their mmorpgs, to me it breaks the whole feeling of a game world.

THIS.... Nothing worst than having dreaded loading screens every time you enter or exit a building or small area... Lets not even talk about zone "limits" where more copies of the same zone have to be made to hold the games population like everquest 2 and Champions (severe case there)..

I prefer my world to appear to be seamless even if its not like Vanguard and EvE.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

the graphics remind me more of Half-Life 2 which was released  November 16, 2004. Though to be honest I think the half life 2 graphics look a little better in some instances..

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96

you guys complaining about graphics should really stop playing on grandma's Packard Bell and buy a gaming system...

Running full out grapics (which makes the game look very sweet) gives me 70-75FPS which is more than acceptable.

Face it...your PC sucks...dont blame the game

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I didn't have a problem with the graphics during my beta time. I had a problem with the fact its a pain in the neck to track quests and too much lag (they really need to fix this). I also have a problem with the group that is running the network over there. If anyone who has been a member of the Hellgate forums you know how is there unable to fix things yet again.   

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

I didn't have a problem with the graphics during my beta time. I had a problem with the fact its a pain in the neck to track quests and too much lag (they really need to fix this). I also have a problem with the group that is running the network over there. If anyone who has been a member of the Hellgate forums you know how is there unable to fix things yet again.   

so, in your opinion LAG (either network or framerate) is a server side problem and not a video card or network infrastructure problem?   If so, why am I not expereincing the same thing?

Do yourself a favor and stick with cookie cutter consoles and your 10 button controller.  Computer games may be too much of a learning curve for you...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache

so, in your opinion LAG (either network or framerate) is a server side problem and not a video card or network infrastructure problem?   If so, why am I not expereincing the same thing?

Do yourself a favor and stick with cookie cutter consoles and your 10 button controller.  Computer games may be too much of a learning curve for you...

So you are going to tell me that my ATI HD 3870 512mb card, 4gigs of ram and a dual core processor is not good enough for this game ? Are you kidding me ? I get less lag in Age of Conan and those graphics are far superior than this. Give me a break. I like the game but at this point I'm certainly not going to fork over my money just because you supposedly do not have lag while playing. I guess everyone else on the beta forums should stick to console games too right ?

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

"Lag" comes in a lot of forms and there have been lots of explanations of it over the years...

Lag as in FPS is generally your problem and is just fine with Fallen Earth under nearly all conditions

Lag as in network latency can be either your problem , your ISP's problem, a network in betweens problem or Fallen Earth's problem. Now, I don't know what kind of network/datacenter FE has or uses, but it is certainly possible that they have issues with their hardware or network code that result in some people experiencing problems while others don't, seemingly at random. (I used to work for a major ISP and have worked in multiple data centers, in one place we had one whole bank of routers that were just a generation older and a different manufacturor than the others and they just didn't play well together...so approximately 1/4 of the customers had problems, seemingly at random when they connected)

Lastly, there is lag as in server latency where basically everything stops/slows down for everyone...Fallen Earth has this pop up occasionally too.

So no, you cannot dismiss it all as client side.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache

Your complaining that everyones problem with graphics is because their running some pre-built Dell. What a typical grade A fanboy repsonse... the graphic's in the game are nothing great at all but their not horrid like some people are pointing out. My PC consists of a E8400, 4 gigs of Ram, and a GTX 260. It ran the game fine on high, but i noticed lag as well... nothing to turn me off though.  

Just because you don't expierence any of the issues.. doesn't mean plenty of other people are, and  doesn't mean their running crappy rig's. It's hows thing's work with PC gaming... guy A can have the greatest rig in the world and have more issues... then guy B with a budget system... then vice versa. To many variables are in place with all the different hardware setups. Which makes it to hard for PC game develepor's to make sure their game can run w/o problems on every single pc out there.. it's too fricken impossible, especially for a MMO.

But i guess it's to hard to understand for some people.

• OmasuOmasu Member Posts: 51

I find it really strange that people cannot grasp the word BETA.

Allow me to explain, lets think of BETA as an acronym ... that means Bugs, Errors, Trial, and Assessment. 

During Beta, the game is running like a pre-season football team. It doesn't have its best players out there, the coach is most likely still drunk from the night before, and the cheer-leaders are still getting over their last visit to the clinic. Yes, it's the same team when you look at the logo's on their helmet ... but it's pre-season. 

Not lets elaborate even further. This is football team is a new franchise, and this is their first season. Most of the players are rookies, and they haven't established a legacy or leadership. 

Graphics, lag, bugs, gameplay, errors, abilities, crafting, and gear, will all be much better when the game releases and they switch from their test servers / beta servers. Not to mention from a marketing perspective, it is always a smart move for a company not to make a game that is too technologically advanced ... many people didn't have a PC up to spec when Vanguard came out, and AoC had to be run at the lowest settings. I applaud them for not going over the top - if you want to run in high graphics because your computer can support it - bravo,

Oh and to the people trying Fallen Earth that are coming from WoW: Consider WoW to be the Chicago Bears ... or Greenbay Packers. A team that is full of history. A well oiled machine. If you cheer for them, it almost seems easy sometimes to forget that they have beeen around since the 1920s ... and so has WoW.

• GreenionGreenion Member Posts: 39

Omasu : Allow me to explain, lets think of BETA as an acronym ... that means Bugs, Errors, Trial, and Assessment.

qotd.

Yes they will tweak things and squash some bugs, but two-three weeks before release you are seeing the final product. Never fall for that "magic patch" BS, if they had a fix it would be in now.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516
    Originally posted by ericbelser

Yes they will tweak things and squash some bugs, but two-three weeks before release you are seeing the final product. Never fall for that "magic patch" BS, if they had a fix it would be in now.

QFT

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Vyeth

THIS.... Nothing worst than having dreaded loading screens every time you enter or exit a building or small area... Lets not even talk about zone "limits" where more copies of the same zone have to be made to hold the games population like everquest 2 and Champions (severe case there)..

I prefer my world to appear to be seamless even if its not like Vanguard and EvE.

Well, your first misconception is what the instancing is like. You never see a loading screen. All that comes up is a notice that you've entered an instanced area and that you can reset it at anytime by pressing the button. The reason for instancing is so that people don't have to queue up for the same bosses or the same quests. It is totally seamless and you don't notice it except for the little box. I personally found it to be a great idea and it prevents the bottlenecks that a lot of other games have because you have to wait for boss x to respawn because someone else just killed him.

Originally posted by twhint

Originally posted by Vyeth

Well, your first misconception is what the instancing is like. You never see a loading screen. All that comes up is a notice that you've entered an instanced area and that you can reset it at anytime by pressing the button. The reason for instancing is so that people don't have to queue up for the same bosses or the same quests. It is totally seamless and you don't notice it except for the little box. I personally found it to be a great idea and it prevents the bottlenecks that a lot of other games have because you have to wait for boss x to respawn because someone else just killed him.

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the age of microwave mmo's. I dont want to wait and want it now. I need to get to the next level so I can get to end game content. Even though your post has some facts behind it, the mmo's are made easier today and require no brain power to understand. Its called being a spoonfed solo mmo player.

With all do respect, the majority of mmo games out today have no soul anymore, its all linear theme park rides with alot of load screens which takes away from immersion. Go to A, B then C location and come back to A when your done.

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159
    Originally posted by Bodeus

QFT

Hehe, shoulda read the last patch notes.

imageThe last of the Trackers

Originally posted by wolfmann

Originally posted by Bodeus

QFT

Hehe, shoulda read the last patch notes.

Why because they filled 5 pages with minor fixes and tweaks? I never denied that, every game is constantly putting out stuff like that...the point was and is that "what you see is what you get". No company has ever run the last stages of their beta with some wonderful patch to fix everything in reserve for launch.

If a game has problems X,Y and Z three weeks before launch, it's most likely going to have them at and after launch..either deal with it or don't - but don't delude yourself into thinking they have fixes handy that they aren't using yet.

Fallen Earth *IS* playable as it stands for most people, but there are a lot of minor bugs that are going to really tick off some people and which may get worse/more noticable with a mass launch. There are also clearly still some hardware incompatibility issues/quirks making the game virtually unplayable for a small, but significant portion of the test base, and that is going to lead to a lot of vocally pissed off buyers on launch day.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

The combat was what turned me off this title. And they refused to put anymore polish on it.

Its not he mechanics of it that were bad. It was the implementation. The camera snaps when you kneel or prone, mobs run up to you to melee range...so there is no point in ranged combat. And cover doesn't exist in this game at all. The delay in shot > Target react was the last straw.
    Its to unrefined and clunky for FPS players, and RPG players are simply going to be frustrated by its lack of polish or tactics.
    It essentially boils down to "I will stab you with bullets".

moving around was alone a pain, felt really stiff

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

The combat was what turned me off this title. And they refused to put anymore polish on it.

Its not he mechanics of it that were bad. It was the implementation. The camera snaps when you kneel or prone, mobs run up to you to melee range...so there is no point in ranged combat. And cover doesn't exist in this game at all. The delay in shot > Target react was the last straw.
    Its to unrefined and clunky for FPS players, and RPG players are simply going to be frustrated by its lack of polish or tactics.
    It essentially boils down to "I will stab you with bullets".

I have to take this back.

They have come a long way.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

Hmmm....

Here's my go at this:

COMBAT

I can see how being used to auto-attack would make combat a bit annoying, and I know in the initial zone it's much harder for ranged users since everything charges you melee, but try being melee when you have ranged MOBs giving you the run around and aggroing everything in sight :P. I personally like the FPS-style, helps me feel like I have more of an active role in combat, and as for tactics I have two full quickslots with purchased abilities/mutations and generally use them consistantly(L20 BTW). Technically, with 45 levels currently capped for open beta I guess you could say I'm mid-level, but I hear they are expecting 150... Same basic principle for every MMO, combat evolves in complexity with the leveling, until you reach dungeon raiding then it goes south lol.

CRAFTING

I really like crafting, it's got that nice middle ground between luck and work when it comes to the mats. Certain materials are fairly easy to get if you put in the time, while others are much harder to come by if you're distinctively searching for them, but so far nothing so completely rare has been required of me, so crafting seems more like a true game mechanic(which it is) rather than just a side gimmick. I'd like their to be a bit more to customization or quality level, something to give the dedicated crafters a bigger edge in the market, and my hope is something like that may come later.

GRAPHICS

Reminds me of SWG, even the movements, collision is a good bit better though. The thing is though, maybe it's being so old school but as long as it's not completely gimp, graphics have never really taken away my ability to enjoy the gameplay. Don't get me wrong though, I love graphics, got SLI 260s to back me up on that. Wish it was better, but this isn't Sony or Blizzard we are talking about, resources and capabilities go as far as the dollar will take it.

BUGS/OPTIMIZATION issues

Ya there are alot of them, having been there for as many MMO releases as I have though I've kinda become numb to it. I hope they don't take too long to get the stuff fleshed out after release.

OVERALL

I like it, I've preordered it. Been a while since I enjoyed an MMO this much. True there is alot of stuff that needs to be fixed, and I think alot of potential for content that I hope they can manage to get out there before too long, but really it's on standard for most MMOs in terms of completeness at release. People say I should expect better, but why should I expect more from an indy company than I would get from the big dogs? Is that too logical of a way to think about it, or am I just an old fashioned chump? :P. Who knows.

As an afterthought, I only came into Open Beta because I had nothing else to do, truthfully I've been tracking Mortal Online for awhile and already have a pre-order. So far though, it looks like I've already found what I'm going to be playing for a good time to come.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

Originally posted by Dinion

Hmmm....
    Here's my go at this:
    COMBAT
    I can see how being used to auto-attack would make combat a bit annoying, and I know in the initial zone it's much harder for ranged users since everything charges you melee, but try being melee when you have ranged MOBs giving you the run around and aggroing everything in sight :P. I personally like the FPS-style, helps me feel like I have more of an active role in combat, and as for tactics I have two full quickslots with purchased abilities/mutations and generally use them consistantly(L20 BTW). Technically, with 45 levels currently capped for open beta I guess you could say I'm mid-level, but I hear they are expecting 150... Same basic principle for every MMO, combat evolves in complexity with the leveling, until you reach dungeon raiding then it goes south lol.
    CRAFTING
    I really like crafting, it's got that nice middle ground between luck and work when it comes to the mats. Certain materials are fairly easy to get if you put in the time, while others are much harder to come by if you're distinctively searching for them, but so far nothing so completely rare has been required of me, so crafting seems more like a true game mechanic(which it is) rather than just a side gimmick. I'd like their to be a bit more to customization or quality level, something to give the dedicated crafters a bigger edge in the market, and my hope is something like that may come later.
    GRAPHICS
    Reminds me of SWG, even the movements, collision is a good bit better though. The thing is though, maybe it's being so old school but as long as it's not completely gimp, graphics have never really taken away my ability to enjoy the gameplay. Don't get me wrong though, I love graphics, got SLI 260s to back me up on that. Wish it was better, but this isn't Sony or Blizzard we are talking about, resources and capabilities go as far as the dollar will take it.
    BUGS/OPTIMIZATION issues
    Ya there are alot of them, having been there for as many MMO releases as I have though I've kinda become numb to it. I hope they don't take too long to get the stuff fleshed out after release.
    OVERALL
    I like it, I've preordered it. Been a while since I enjoyed an MMO this much. True there is alot of stuff that needs to be fixed, and I think alot of potential for content that I hope they can manage to get out there before too long, but really it's on standard for most MMOs in terms of completeness at release. People say I should expect better, but why should I expect more from an indy company than I would get from the big dogs? Is that too logical of a way to think about it, or am I just an old fashioned chump? :P. Who knows.
    As an afterthought, I only came into Open Beta because I had nothing else to do, truthfully I've been tracking Mortal Online for awhile and already have a pre-order. So far though, it looks like I've already found what I'm going to be playing for a good time to come.

Hear'Hear!