Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: A Hint at Player Housing?

13»

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

This is very interesting news. If this is non-instanced player housing, I will be very excited and much, much more interested in what else TOR has to offer. If it is instanced housing, I'd rather they not waste their time and put that effort into something else.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by Zapphod

Originally posted by zaylin

Originally posted by timmay805

Did u watch the trailer???? What I am trying to say is there is a different between going out and killing 10 boars versus actual characters that have that kind of immersion in the game itself. Yeah the quest might be go slay 10 boars, but the fell of it will be way different. Take for example the quest from the walkthru. That quest will be different depending on whch flashpoint option you choose, whether you are in a group or solo, etc etc
    Why does everyone want to argue. If you don't like a game go hang it in your games forum jeez.

Have to agree, its not that fact that its go kill 10 something/go kill 10 something. at least you know WHY your going and killing 10 things and not just clicking past all the text to get to the objective.

I have never seen a game yet where it hasnt devolved into clicking past the text to get to the objective and as for those that think that it will be about infinite choices and unique character development are going to be horribly disappointed be as with all games once people discover that clicking yes, yes, yes, no, no creates a stronger character than clicking yes, yes, yes, no, yes then character development becomes linear.

People can argue until hell freezes over but every MMO is the same people gravitate to the strongest options whether it be classes, crafts or factions it is all the same.

Bollocks. Try playing Baldur's Gate by just clicking past the text. And I dont mean while checking a printed walkthrough. And there are also MMORPGs that use way less of the typical kill x fillerquests. Guild Wars is an example. While you can discuss its a MMO or not, its quests could be used in games that you do call MMORPGs.

It all boils down to the willingness of the developers.

But yes, there is always the player that tries to avoid any form of challenge, no matter if its twitch, strategic or puzzle based. And immediately turns to guides or other forms of handholding. No developer can fight that. Its not their job to tell players how to play their MMO. At most they can have an idea of how they intended for you to play it.

Not to mention it will be more story driven,witch im really excited about. I'm tired of the ok lets see how fast i can go form 0-80 in. Im at the point I want to ENJOY the games content and story (one of the reasons i returned to FF11). Dont get me wrong end game is hella fun, but its also the journey getting there ,and stories of the misshaps,wipes and sillness while playing that makes a game fun.

Doh well on the subject at hand I think any sort of player housing will be cool, Open would be the coolest of course..instanced not  bad,a place to call home,but at least put in permissions so freinds and guildes can enjoy a nice warm bowl of soup >.0.

Some people (IMO) are getting so critical about mmos/games that it seems to be more stressful than fun. I remember the good old days of playing super mario bro. 3 for 32 hours when it first came out >.0. Toe jam and earl, etc etc.. I dont fall into hype anymore, dont get my hopes up or demand that a game have this or that... I do get excited though to see new info and gameplay video about a game im intrested in playing,that show me what the game is going to be like...and well if its got fun and community in mind Im on board...sorry this is probally not the thread fer that paragraph ..Coffee coffee coffee!!!.

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 218

In regards to player housing, it would obviously be a great addition. Preferably not instanced but even then.  So many people see the voice acting/story and assume these professional developers are focussing a solely single player experience for a mmorpg.  Bioware and this very well funded project know exactly what sort of features a mmorpg needs to keep fans playing for years.

In response to comments that voice acting won't make "killing 10 boars" any more fun or exciting, couldn't be more wrong.  Using myself as an example, I never do quests.  Walls of text that are boring and uninteresting.  However those ingame cinemantics and story will definitely make me want to do every possible quest in the game.  So there you go.

Originally posted by Herithius

In regards to player housing, it would obviously be a great addition. Preferably not instanced but even then.  So many people see the voice acting/story and assume these professional developers are focussing a solely single player experience for a mmorpg.  Bioware and this very well funded project know exactly what sort of features a mmorpg needs to keep fans playing for years.
    In response to comments that voice acting won't make "killing 10 boars" any more fun or exciting, couldn't be more wrong.  Using myself as an example, I never do quests.  Walls of text that are boring and uninteresting.  However those ingame cinemantics and story will definitely make me want to do every possible quest in the game.  So there you go.

Yep :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

For the clueless, instanced housing is useless as pointed out very well in several posts in this thread.  It basically becomes an extra storage area and that is about it.  Having experienced being part of a very active city in SWG, I can tell you it adds depth and life to the game.

So for you who feel it clutters up the game, you are the ones who play for a short while, then find something to complain about and leave.  Developers should ignore you as you are short term headcount at best.

So if their housing is instanced it is just another yawn.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

For the clueless, instanced housing is useless as pointed out very well in several posts in this thread.  It basically becomes an extra storage area and that is about it.  Having experienced being part of a very active city in SWG, I can tell you it adds depth and life to the game.

So for you who feel it clutters up the game, you are the ones who play for a short while, then find something to complain about and leave.  Developers should ignore you as you are short term headcount at best.

I agree.. some of my fondest memories of MMOs are of my friends and I in our massive player cities or houses in games like UO, DAOC, etc. It certainly made me feel like I was part of a virtual world. :)

But I do beleive that they will make it similar to FFXI's mog house (instanced, but you can invite people). They've said that their game isn't a simulation in any way, when asked about housing and their economy in a few interviews. Personally I would rather an instance than nothing at all, though.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• silicnsmileysilicnsmiley Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by silicnsmiley

I just prefer less loading screens and more seamless fluidity in the realization of the game world. You are more than welcome to like loading screens. Your perogative.

I snipped the rest of your comments because they're pointless.

If you want less loading time, then you want houses instanced.  

If you want to be in your house, looking out a crowded metropolis, then every object in your house and every object in every other house has to be downloaded and dynamically updated for every player in the metropolis. 

Further, voice dialog in an MMO is ground breaking.  Housing is tired old hat.  If you want to play house and read text, I'm sure there still plenty of little sandboxing MUDs running around.  Ulitma Online is still kicking.

Full voice is a feature never before seen in an MMO.  And it is the central element to BioWare's first entry into the genre.  If that doesn't float your boat, you're probably not going to like TOR anyway.

Again, your reading comprehension is whacked. I specifically said I want less loading screens, not less loading "time".

As for the voice you keep harping on, I've established I couldn't give a damn about it so please stop droning on and on about it to me. As to your revelation that I might not like TOR because of not caring about voice overs (talk about absurd), again, you've proven that you don't want to understand another's words as they write them. I specifically (which lead to this back and forth) stated that if they do housing in a way I like, and crafting in a way I like, then I'll play the game. No where in there was voice.

You may want to get over yourself in that other people play games for reasons different than your own and your belief that your reasons are somehow superior (which is how you started this back and forth). They aren't. Deal with it.

And on that note, as this back and forth was began on a totally immature slant of my gaming reasons are better than yours, I leave the "last word" to you. Trying to strongarm an understanding that others beliefs, game reasons are just as valid as yours is not my place. In a worldy light, that was your parent's responsibility.

I don't care why you play games. 

In the discussion of BioWare's Star Wars The Old Republic, voice and story are BioWare's central selling points.

It is you who seems to have a comprehension issue.  The comment made about housing was in an interview at GamesCon.  The response from BioWare was of the nature, "Yeah, we have that" in response to a four or five part question that happened to included housing.

BioWare has made many statements on the use of instancing and it seems that it will be a fairly heavily instanced game.  People who apparently follow the news on the game much closer than you seem to think that housing is going to be KOTOR ship style.

Your style of gameplay requires massive resources on the client side.  To populate housing in a large area that is not instanced has a major impact on every person who plays the game, regardless of whether or not they want to play virtual house.  BioWare has stated many times that their choice of stylized graphics is done in part to reduced the load on the client.  It seems counter-intuitive to use a simplified graphic technique that requires less processor and memory and then turn around and bog down every major hub with billions of dynamic player objects.

I do not wish to detract from your personal creativity.  I just don't want it forced on every other play who doesn't care what your house looks like.  That's where instanced housing comes in.  That way, the rest of us don't have to load every object in your house into memory or store the contents of your house on our hard drives just so you can sit in your kitchen and watch the virtual world go by.

Stop crying in my beer.

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Anyone who has played Horizons and seen the right way to do player housing. Conversely anyone who played SWG has seen the wrong way to do player housing.

Of course the housing is going to be instanced. With the possible subscriber numbers this game is likely to draw the only viable choice is instanced housing. Otherwise they would need 200 servers each with 50 worlds were people could build houses. Half of all houses started will be abandoned anyone and if they had open world housing they would have to come up with a system for dealing with abandoned buildings. Instances is way faster, way cheaper, way easier and just makes too much sense to not do.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"I do not wish to detract from your personal creativity. I just don't want it forced on every other play who doesn't care what your house looks like. That's where instanced housing comes in. That way, the rest of us don't have to load every object in your house into memory or store the contents of your house on our hard drives just so you can sit in your kitchen and watch the virtual world go by."

You really need to get out of the 90's.  You are discussing programming that went out of style then.  Localized housing should not detract from your performance in a MMO today unless it is staffed by those who have no clue how to code a MMO.  Even UO fixed that problem years ago.   Even SWG did not have that kind of problem.  Isn't stating a problem that is no longer a problem kind of silly?

"I do not wish to detract from your personal creativity. I just don't want it forced on every other play who doesn't care what your house looks like. That's where instanced housing comes in. That way, the rest of us don't have to load every object in your house into memory or store the contents of your house on our hard drives just so you can sit in your kitchen and watch the virtual world go by."
    You really need to get out of the 90's.  You are discussing programming that went out of style then.  Localized housing should not detract from your performance in a MMO today unless it is staffed by those who have no clue how to code a MMO.  Even UO fixed that problem years ago.   Even SWG did not have that kind of problem.  Isn't stating a problem that is no longer a problem kind of silly?

How so?

If the guy that I'm responding to wants to be able to be in his house and have it in a major hub so he can watch the world go by, how can he be in his house and not effect the game for those who pass by?

SWG didn't allow you to put your houses in major hubs.  

If the "restricted areas" are in remote locations, fine.  If that's the case, then it is no different than having them instanced.

Stop crying in my beer.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

This is how I see LA in regrds to that.    "Housing...housing?    Are you trying to piss me off?   That is not very Star Warsy?  Where in any movies did you ever see a main character own a house?!   Where is the "iconicness" of owning a house in the Star Wars Universe?   And what about story?   How can we add voice acting to a house to progress the story?    It's all about he voices and the story.   No...no...no...we won't have it.  No hiouses!"

LA is in control here.    If you think Bioware has that kind of freedom over the Star Wars IP you're delusional.    LA all ready went down that road and look what they did to a great game - SWG preNGE.  They made it more Star Warsy and we got 9 iconic classes.    How many classes are in SW:ToR?   8 oh yeah...they got it down to 8!   Just 8 classes.    LA is in charge and I seriously doubt you'll see player housing. 

If by some off chance there is housing, though, I suspect it will be instanced.    It wouldn't be very Star Warsy to have houses littering the landscape.   

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

I prefer instanced housing. An own house for everyone + twinks leads to a huge waste of place.

Originally posted by Narshe

I agree.. some of my fondest memories of MMOs are of my friends and I in our massive player cities or houses in games like UO, DAOC, etc. It certainly made me feel like I was part of a virtual world. :)

But I do beleive that they will make it similar to FFXI's mog house (instanced, but you can invite people). They've said that their game isn't a simulation in any way, when asked about housing and their economy in a few interviews. Personally I would rather an instance than nothing at all, though.

Same here. All and all , Im really hopeful for this game, I love the Star Wars Universe,never had a chance to play SWG as to when it came out I did not have a PC or access to internet.Now I have a pretty good pc and have played many mmos,they are all getting stagnet with the whole level/grind/farm...dont get me wrong I dont mind the grind per say or farming for stuff,hell I use to farm leather for 2hours in WoW because I WANTED TO. But other  than that it just felt empty after 4years. playing FF11 again reminded me how much TO ME at least a story driven mmo is sooo much better and fun. ya FF11 is more of a time sink to get to max level,but if I have learned anything from wow, its to enjoy the lower levels and ENJOY LEVELING,and the content. And the styleized graphics that bio ware is going for,I think is great...it puts them apart from other mmos imo.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Well said Oz.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Well said Oz.

You two are made for each other.

Stop crying in my beer.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Well said Oz.

You two are made for each other.

Nah, we just don't assume that we know in specific what another person is talking about (and being wrong) and then go on attack mode damning anyone else's likes if they don't mirror your own, like you do.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Was the player housing ever confirmed?

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

holy crap that would be awesome. I hope they got SWG, UO style rather than LOTRO style.

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• sachy55sachy55 Member Posts: 42

hopefully they will not be instanced housing otherwise its just for decoration. if its incorporated into the the playable zones this will be best. it doesnt have to be like swg with miles of ghost towns and mish mash of housing, they could make buildable zones for housing and fingers crossed housing is just the tip of iceberg of full player citys in game. maybe player houses could only exist in world with active subscription, and pack up into datapad much like swg if no subscription, or they could ramp up the maintenance fee considerably in swg it was peanuts to pay house maintenance for a year make it x 50.

i honestly dont think swg had it that wrong at all with the player houses there was so much real estate in game that yes some areas did have lots of houses but just had to go out a few k on your speeder and there was plenty of pristine land. if they were really brave they would add factional destructable citys, best times i had in swg were player city battles over bases this was end game for the pvpers everything else pales into comparison, but looking at graphics for characters i think this will just be wow clone game, with silly doll houses.

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

i think if they add player houses, it will be a premade house in a major city (for example Coruscant, room enough there for houses :) its a damn cityplanet...) and youll probably be able to furnitize it yourself, instanced or not, its cool to have a real home in an MMO :)

p.s. Home is where the Hearthstone is :)