Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Armor Set Redesigns!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The folks at Mythic are redesigning all the armor sets in Warhammer Online with what appears to be much higher resolution textures and improved aesthetics. In an update to the WAR Herald, we are treated to a peek of a few of the newly designed armor sets, along with comparisons to the current ones. The sets featured in this update are the Tier 4 armor sets for the Blackguard, Engineer, Squig Herder, Zealot, Bright Wizard, and Swordmaster.

The results are truly amazing! Check out part one of the armor redesign series here.

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

awesome but did they fix the lag and make it more lower end comp friendly like it was suppose to be?

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

awesome but did they fix the lag and make it more lower end comp friendly like it was suppose to be?

Supposedly there were some major performance increases in the last patch to hit the game (1.3.1), but I have not played, so I don't know. I imagine the performance boosts are what allow them to use more resources on higher resolution armor now though, but I'm just speculating there.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Yeeaaah...umm...

I think something like this should have been at launch. I always felt the game looked very faded and the graphics quality was  a bit lower than they had to be.

• TibMonkeyTibMonkey Member Posts: 12

Great, just what this big ball of graphical lag game needs, more intense graphics.

• TibMonkeyTibMonkey Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by MikeB

Supposedly there were some major performance increases in the last patch to hit the game (1.3.1), but I have not played, so I don't know. I imagine the performance boosts are what allow them to use more resources on higher resolution armor now though, but I'm just speculating there.

I'd maybe, MAYBE consider coming back to at least see how things are if this is true.  Having said that, they closed the last EU roleplay server so I doubt I'd ever be back for good.

• EridanixEridanix Member Posts: 426

After playing all beta stages and so forth until june 09 I think what they need is to re build the entire gfx Engine from the scratch.... or die lagging...

There are Unreal, Valve, Crytek---> please Devs, take a hire on one of them! :D

It is a question of fangs.

• vala2008vala2008 Member Posts: 229

I never had one lag issue or DC problem or anything like that in my entire WAR experience and I played on both of the high population servers'; order on one and desto on the other and had two lvl 40s on each side so i put some time in. People that complain must be running the game on old laptops or something...the graphics were not so great so its very nice to see the improvements here. But the reason I left the game still hasnt changed, people at end game will still rather fortress farm than have some decent pvp combat. The only reason i left the game was because of the farm trains and that is it....nothing to do with lag and i dont believe i remember anyone complaining about lag either.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

The only performance boost I can think off is the ever dwindling population, so with less people per server you have less lag and so less of a performance problem.

CAPS are still the same. So the moment after more server merges and cramming people together again... the same problems will pop up again.... and again.... till everyone is so fed up and gone.

It's all nice and dandy they revamping the armor sets now a year after launch. Something that should have been done BEFORE launch.

It's just another carrot to dangle in front of their playerbase in a desperate attempt to keep them in the game.

As that's all they have been doing since launch. They can't fix the game and the broken designs, so instead they keep pushing out carrots in a hope people will buy into it and keep paying their sub.

Well in January this year I was fed up with all the carrots and was about to start puking them out. So I /CANCEL and waved farewell.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Indeed you are.

Mythic are masters of misdirection. It's one distraction after another.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

do ppl still play this crap?

even free korean MMO's are better... I am still angry at MYTHIC for stealing my $49.99. The game is great from levels 1-12, then it gets worse and worse every level, level 40 is where u want to break the game DVD.

Horrible lag, horrible end game, horrible class balance, horrible siege mechanics, but great looking new armor sets :)

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

I have know idea how shadows and lightning look in WAR, but if you look at this picture http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/herald/images/community/Compare%20SQ.jpg  they are very different. From the looks of it the top pictures have settings set to low and the bottom have settings set to high. Not doubting the new graphics on the armors, but they seem to be making more of it than it really is :P.

Or who knows, maybe the are upping the quality of character models too. Take a look at the Bright Wizard pictures.

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796
    Originally posted by Lille7

I have know idea how shadows and lightning look in WAR, but if you look at this picture http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/herald/images/community/Compare%20SQ.jpg  they are very different. From the looks of it the top pictures have settings set to low and the bottom have settings set to high. Not doubting the new graphics on the armors, but they seem to be making more of it than it really is :P.

I was just going to post the same thing!  Look at the "old" shots close... they have to have the settings turned down to a minimum!  Armor never looked that bad when I played.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• hogscraperhogscraper Member Posts: 322

Not sure what to think of all the complainers regarding lag. Play this at work sometimes on a garbage computer, 1.8 single  core 2 gigs of ram and 8500 nvidia card. Can't say I've ever had lag issues. Period.  I honestly can't see how any of you have problems on a comp that's newer than 10 years old. And if that's the case, you really should think of upgrading before buying a new game. 

• verenovverenov Member UncommonPosts: 72

I love the idea of Warhammer Online.  It is the most-appealing game to me at this time.  The pvp/rvr aspect is better than any other mmo I've ever tried, including DAoC.

However, the technical problems with this game is what is going to cause this game to fail beyond recovery.  Some might argue that it's already there, but I believe that Mythic could pull subscribers back with one improvement:  Fix the game stability.  I am growing exceedingly tired of the number CTD's since patch 1.3.  Even worse is the lack of communication between Mythic and it's ebbing community.  If you WANT a game to fail, you do these two things:

1) Make the game unplayable due to bugs/instability.

2)Never communicate with the community that pays your salaries.

Cool armor sets, awesome weapon sets, etc is all moot when you crash to desktop (CTD) every 1/2 hour or so.  First, you must fix the core game.  THEN, you can begin improving the eye-candy of the game.

I'm sticking with WAR at least another month, because it is truly a fun game...while it works.  Grant it, 5 CTD's in an hour are rare, but boy do you get ticked when it occurs EVERY TIME that you're in a SCENARIO/BATTLEGROUND.  And, to add insult to injury you're flagged as a *QUITTER* for WAR booting you out of the scenario/game.

I believe that Mythic needs to focus ENTIRELY on the bug-fixing, stability-improving aspect of this game so that we the players can truly enjoy what WAR offers.

"I am handicapped...I'm psychotic."

Originally posted by hogscraper

Not sure what to think of all the complainers regarding lag. Play this at work sometimes on a garbage computer, 1.8 single  core 2 gigs of ram and 8500 nvidia card. Can't say I've ever had lag issues. Period.  I honestly can't see how any of you have problems on a comp that's newer than 10 years old. And if that's the case, you really should think of upgrading before buying a new game. 

Quad 2.2, 4 GB RAM, 3650 ATI card, VISTA 64. Bought last year. Serious lag inside keeps with any numbers.

Lots of people with uber rigs have reported bad lag.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

Armor sets are not a major problem in WAR is it ? 

This just goes to proof that Mythic is SO FAR from tacklking the real problems with the game that its not even funny...

Stability should be number 1.  Instead they just threw in a new city patch that hangs up every other client. 

Number 2 is BALANCE.  And then there would be nice to see some serious rework of the AI on mobs and TOTAL redesign of the placements of mobs.  Its just stupid to play a PVE game where you can pull a mob that is standing ON TOP of another mob without that one moving...  Even FREE TO PLAY games are doing better now !!  

All I can say is OMG when it comes to the poor work of PVE design in this game.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think this was the best place for the dev to focus energy on given the current state of the game.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Mabye this is an indication that they will have truly optimized their graphics engine before or by the time they implement these new, sharper character models and armor sets.

It always irritated me how much that game chugged on a GTX 280 card with such low quality graphics.  I always had to turn off spell effects in RvR raids and even then it was horribly laggy and even harder to know when being attacked until it was too late.  It's bad enough that the majority of the PvP is raid based, but it's insulting when the basic engine can't even handle raids.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    Originally posted by vala2008

I never had one lag issue or DC problem or anything like that in my entire WAR experience and I played on both of the high population servers'; order on one and desto on the other and had two lvl 40s on each side so i put some time in. People that complain must be running the game on old laptops or something...the graphics were not so great so its very nice to see the improvements here. But the reason I left the game still hasnt changed, people at end game will still rather fortress farm than have some decent pvp combat. The only reason i left the game was because of the farm trains and that is it....nothing to do with lag and i dont believe i remember anyone complaining about lag either.

Lol you must be extremely lucky then!  I'm not going to bother posting my specs, because I know it should be able to handle it.  Lag wasn't due to my connection or PC.  Their game was causing the problems. 

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

"The teams had two goals in mind: Make each armor set look visually unique..." Umm.. I guess they failed.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

it's so sad, it's came to this...

Mythic posting low res shots, against high res model viewer shots.... if you pay close attention to the bright wizard you'll see the gauntlets are the exact same. In fact most, if not all the armour here is already in game, i know the swordmaster is just a recyling of armour already there. The problem isn't armour, it's everything else... the entire thing makes a mockery of the warhammer world. Which is a shame, it's one of my favourite settings (the witcher world and discworld being the only ones that i stand against it)

rather poor.

1) Engine sucks

2) Too many classes added at a staggered pace over the year, which means there's not only no balance but it's just completely screwed up (i feel for some destruction players i really do)

3) new content? where? all there's been is LIVE events, oh and finally land of the dead which lets face wasn't so much new content, it was crap, but hey i was amazed they added it to begin with.

4) How many live events have their been now, 6 or 7 in a  year.. i'm serious some have added new scenario's which have since disapeared remember. ahhh genius mythic just failure after failure.

5) Most of mythic's team is now with Bioware or UO.. that's right, hardly anyone's around to put any emphasis on WAR, in fact they've lost a large amount of staff, so WARs really gone low on the popularity. (unless the MAC and new region thing pays off - it won't)

6) knowing that 4 out of 6 cities weren't going to make it, they could have made the zones a hell of a lot better.

7) PQs a great idea, but there's too many of them all over the place, some of them feel OUT of place and occassionally  your thinking to yourself WTF am i grinding these PQs for in a supposedly "non grind all action game"

8) Keeps, tiers and PvP (PvP awesome tier 1, deserted tier 2, tier 3 you're pushing for action, tier 4 lots of action) hmm... if only the engine actually worked better, the PvP would actually be fun and large scale. (it's just good tier 1 and tier 4, most people avoid the middle... beginning awesome, race to the end for better stuff as the PQs hand out everything anyway)

positive -

tome of knowledge. best bit in the game to read, full of stories, full of lore, full of everything. If only the game was as good.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

Originally posted by describable

positive -
    tome of knowledge. best bit in the game to read, full of stories, full of lore, full of everything. If only the game was as good.

There has been some speculation that the Tome is causing some performance issues. Along with the collision detection. They SHOULD try a server with both switched off, to see how it runs.

But they know better. A dev was asked about the CD and basically said 'it's a core function of our game. It makes us special.' Special like the Olympics.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

I left the faith in this title, when mythic started to misinform their own followers after making an agreement with EA.

warhammer - a huge battleground, but where's exactly this battleground in who ?
    From first mythic statements, WAR was going to be more than 60% pvp based game, with battles involving huge amount of players.
    Where are those battles ? From answers of my friends, taking parts in skirmishes involving >30 players is very rare, but somebody told me that there were couple fights with >80 ppl.

Well ... where's the full loot ? Where's something different than WoW offers, and is even worse ? Not to mention mythic created a very good DAoC ! just htf was it possible to screw a whole lore of warhammer world, and create another cookie cutter themepark game ?

grrrr

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by bleyzwun

Originally posted by vala2008

Lol you must be extremely lucky then!  I'm not going to bother posting my specs, because I know it should be able to handle it.  Lag wasn't due to my connection or PC.  Their game was causing the problems. 

He is just trolling man. Ignore him.

Everyone I knew on my server. And I mean everyone! Had performance issues one way or the other. Especially during largescale RvR.

In the last months we didn't dare to do RvR with more then 1 warband, just to prevent mass Disconnects from happening in the middle of a Keep siege. Pathetic.

But then again... in the end, before we quit, we were lucky to even get one warband together lol.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by TibMonkey

Great, just what this big ball of graphical lag game needs, more intense graphics.

Its not the graphics that lag the game. Its the server code that cant handle 100+ people in the same place.

You can have the best computer in the world and have all the graphics at low and it will still lag to shit in big fights.