Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good, Free MMORPG with low system requirements for netbook

TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63

As the title says, with the head-back to college wind blowing, I want something to keep me entertained for those classes which are non-discussion based, and for the inbetweens. So, I'm looking for a free MMO with LOW system requirements. No graphics are too poor (my main MMO is Ultima Online). Anyway, I'd like something that has low system requirements (can work on an Acer Aspire with 1.5 gigs of ram and 1.6 ghz Intel Atom processor).

Ideas?

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Runescape or Aseron's Call.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

2Moons might be a good choice for a bit of playing, it doesn't take much.

I think Dungeon Runners might be an option too.

The Chronicles of Spellborn recently went FTP, I don't think it would take too much with the settings down.

By the way, loving the avatar. ;D

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Mabinogi works on my Acer Aspire without the upgraded RAM.

Granted it has a lot of bad with the few things it does very good.  

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• EleExtremoEleExtremo Member Posts: 7

Sorry to tell you this, but the only game suitable for a netbook is Runescape. Netbooks are not good for games AT ALL. I recommend getting a desktop computer if you wish to play MMO's.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I recommend getting into the world of MUDS.

Something along the lines of http://www.aardwolf.com/ or similar.

Also if you enjoy a highly addicting and yet hilarous browser based mmo, check out http://www3.kingdomofloathing.com/maint.php

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I'd suggest trying out Dofus. The game has free area wich should last something like 20 hours on your first time if you don't rush through, it should work even on a netbook if you just change the settings to minimum, and the game's pace is slow enough that you can both play and listen to the class at the same time.

If you end up liking it, the subcription is 5€/month and there's no item shop, so it's cheap. But if you can't use external mouse most of the time, wich you probably can't, it might get a bit irritating since practically all the controlling has to be done with the mouse and touchpads just aren't as good.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Pirate Galaxy

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Well, if it's a notebook we're talking about, how about Pong?

• RegnevanzRegnevanz Member Posts: 146

Runes Of Magic

Perfect World International

The Chronicles of Spellborn (only free to play with no micro shop)

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Tryken
    As the title says, with the head-back to college wind blowing, I want something to keep me entertained for those classes which are non-discussion based, and for the inbetweens. So, I'm looking for a free MMO with LOW system requirements. No graphics are too poor (my main MMO is Ultima Online). Anyway, I'd like something that has low system requirements (can work on an Acer Aspire with 1.5 gigs of ram and 1.6 ghz Intel Atom processor).

Ideas?

I got Guild Wars running on a amd 1.8ghz AMD 1 gig ram and some real basic video card I think a Geforce 1 on some old laptop. Getting a nice 29fps so its really playable. For MMO's Guild Wars definately got the best performance for crappy computers and for a one time fee its good for what it is.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

PC Gamer ran an article a few months ago about gaming on netbooks.  I was really surprised how many you could get to work on them.  They even managed to get WoW to work, although all the graphic settings were down or off.  You'd need to get some more ram (2gb at least) but you can get games like GTA:Vice City and World of Goo to work if you tweek things a bit.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

I was able to get WoW and Aion running on my netbook, albeit at the lowest graphics settings.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• TrykenTryken Ultima Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 63

So far I've gotten MEGATEN: Imagine to work (love this game so far), although it doesn't run beautifully, it's quite functional. Also, Jade Dynasty runs very well, as does Ultima.

I should note that I have a high end desktop. This is not, of course, my main computer. There's a free booster, GMA Booster, to make the video card run better. Ends up the built in video card is stuck underclocked. The booster fixes that, and makes it so games are actually pretty easily playable.

Thanks for the suggestions! Lots of fun experimenting I can do, it seems!

P.S. Thanks for the compliment on the avatar. =P

• worshiploudworshiploud Member Posts: 1

I have a netbook and I play Silk Road Online by Joymax.

I set all my settings to Low but I don't think it's nessesary.

I am also testing more games. Will let you know.

Aslo found a list of netbook friendly MMOs

http://www.onrpg.com/boards/156898.html

I don't like having to register in order to give helpful information to a forum.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Runescape is like the third or forth most popular MMO.

I think it's because it can run in a browser and people play it at work or school.

But to keep the interest of that many people, it must have something going for it.

Runescape is believed to have about ten million active accounts.

It's so old that when it came out, it was termed a 'graphical MUDD'. lol

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren