Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: GC '09: Demo Walkthrough Video Now Live!

Comments

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by remyburke  but from what they've shown so far, they are taking the MM out of the ORPG,

That's the feeling I got.

It all looks great but how is this a MMO and not a multi-player video game?

• chiffingtonchiffington Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Liltawen

Originally posted by remyburke  but from what they've shown so far, they are taking the MM out of the ORPG,

Easy answer - MMO = Multi-player video game....

...or did you mean second-gen-styled MMORPG?

I agree that it seems a bit weak in certain aspects, but I expect their PCs were created to be super-charged in a way that would stop the video they were creating from being ruined by someone dying and their having to restart the whole thing.

I was more worried about the jerky pace, although I hope that was just the video quality...but having said that every development version of a game is always graphically-poor.

My biggest concerns are more along the lines of how much content the game will really have, if I'll be pretty much done with it within a month or two because I've run out of content, whether the story and growth will keep the focus or if it will turn into another sad raid-game like so many WoWs, or PvP-grief-fest like so many Conans...

So far I have certain good hopes.  I was disheartened by the possibility of two separate classes for force-users and the so-far apparent lack of force abilities for classes other than jedi or sith.  Just because my character is not formally trained doesn't mean they aren't force-sensitive...

Still, it's relatively middle-days.  I'll probably be happier when they stop prattling on about how wonderful they think their cinematics and voiceovers are and when they'll focus primarily on how involved and expansive the gameplay is.  A good game, whether it be an MMO, MMORPG, MMOWBG or otherwise should have you always learning, growing and developing as a player - not just looking forward to the next bit of 'ZOMGITSAJEDIROXXRZZ!!!'.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

So you want boring combat just because it would look more like a traditional mmo? Absurd.

The combat of the Sith was jaw dropping imo: swinging his saber behind his back to deflect blaster bolts, stabbing slicing and making powerful jabs. Looked very fluid and dynamic, how people find this boring is beyond me.

In fact: give me one example of an mmo which has this kind of combat in the lvl 5-10 range. In pre alpha

The ranged: I agree, it looked far less interesting than the lightsaber moves, but again, this is pre alpha.

Cover system felt somewhat awkward as well imo.

Dialogue looked a lot like mass effect, which is cool.

To the haters:

1. Ranting about graphics is pointless, we knew they would have this for a long time, it brings with it it's own style (which I like, except for the walking), and it has 3 other advantages:

• it enables them to add new content fairly easily. It's a highly flexible engine
    • it ensures the game is playable on machines which are a bit older.
    • it has a low CPU/memory signature , effectively reducing lag.

2. OMG they are liars because Tabula Rasa/ Stargate Worlds have a cover system!!

• Tabula Rasa: if crouching behind a rock for added defense is your definition of a 'cover system' ... ok, clearly it isn't Biowares definition.
    • Stargate Worlds: saw the gameplay here on mmorpg.com? Crouching behind a barrier with your Jaffa stick clipping through the metal in front of you when you fire deserves a /facepalm... nothing more.

3. OMG they are liars because FFXIV is a fully voiced mmo as well!

• No confirmation on NPC's being fully voiced at this point (thus: Bioware doesn't know either)
    • Highly doubtful they will voice PC's as well

Btw, if you rant about the gameplay here being boring you must have fallen asleep when you saw the gameplay for your beloved FFXIV no?

4.OMG Dialogue will be boring lol

• A lot of people think otherwise, seeing that it gathered such a hype with only the promise of story (which we all ranted so long about)
    • There were only a couple of short moments of dialogue in this vid, if you can't pay attention for that long, you have ADD and should take your medication, no offence.

Overall, this game still needs a lot more info out, but for this trailer being pre-alpha footage, it seriously blew all the rest we saw mmo-wise lately out of the water.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Btw, if you rant about the gameplay here being boring you must have fallen asleep when you saw the gameplay for your beloved FFXIV no?

Actually I just had to facepalm looking at the vids because the people playing the game were so bad. 

2 mins of looking at spam in the chat log saying "You cannot use this skill yet! Use your normal attacks you dumbass!" would make anyone facepalm..

But hey, at least it means that the combat will actually be challenging at first instead of "oh, the same combat system as in any other MMO.. no need to learn anything new now, yay!"

Anyway, at least the game is still in pre-alpha, that taken into consideration it still has potential.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • OdelaOdela Member Posts: 120

FFXIV Gameplay comes out:

"Meh.  It's pretty."

ToR Gameplay comes out:

"I need to change my pants, brb."

Bounty Hunter looks awesome, can't wait.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Actually I just had to facepalm looking at the vids because the people playing the game were so bad. 

Anyway, at least the game is still in pre-alpha, that taken into consideration it still has potential.

I was looking forward to FFXIV as well, but even if the people playing it were bad, the animations sucked as well.

Generic sword swing nr.: 12315 comes to mind.

Also, after playing a good deal of mmo's, my psychopathic tendencies versus fluffy chickens have decreased to absolutely zero. So having to kill them for generic quest nr.: 52345 is a no-go.

Face it, that gameplay looked far more generic than this.

I'll give FFXIV time to present me something original though, besides their graphics, which have always been great, but form only part of any game.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

I was looking forward to FFXIV as well, but even if the people playing it were bad, the animations sucked as well.
    Generic auto-attack sword swing nr.: 12315 comes to mind.
    Also, after playing a good deal of mmo's, my psychopathic tendencies versus fluffy chickens has decreased to absolutely zero. So having to kill them for generic quest nr.: 52345 is a no-go.
    Face it, that gameplay looked far more generic than this.

I'll give FFXIV time to present me something original though, besides their graphics, which have always been great, but form only part of any game.

I agree, the animations were bad.

It's more of an issue with the game we saw being on alpha stage right now though. The animation team won't fully animate everything until they're sure that it will be in the final product- the ones we saw were more like placeholders rather than the ones we'll see in the end product.

The combat the devs have described in the interviews seem far more in depth than what we saw on the videos (the devs hinted that lots of features were taken away since they only wanted to show off Guildleave system instead of the combat or other things). The position you strike, which hand you use when attacking, what kind of combos you create with the skills, and enemies seeing through your attacks if you just keep spamming the same skill over and over again... these things weren't apparent in the gameplay vids, but let's see what happens at TGS....

but let's see what happens

I agree, both games are due for some time.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Dameonk

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Remember all the fights where Luke and Han and Chewie took multiple blaster hits and still beat their enemies? Neither do I.

That always bugged me about the original KOTOR game.  Oh well, I got over it then, I'll get over it now.

Game looks fantastic so far.  And to think, that was only level 5 and 10.  Those skills looked better than some level 40+ effects in other games.

Leia takes a blast hit and lives (barely even wounded).

It's only imperials that die in one hit ;)...

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by eric_w66

Tell that to Qui-Gonn, and Obi-Wan. Jedi Masters - one hit - dead.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Stellus

Originally posted by GreenChaos

Originally posted by Stellus

With that said - I hope they prove me wrong. i am disappointed thusfar. Maybe I was just hoping for someone to swoop down and take what SOE had done to their terrible attempt at a sandbox and show them how it should really be done. Instead I get something that divides players into their own realm instead of sharing it with everyone else.

This is a BioWare game, this has nothing to do with SOE - nothing nothing nothing.  And BioWare has never done a Sandbox game, they do Story-driven and they do it best.

Couldn't they be innovative and do both? This is basically Guild Wars but in Star Wars / Sci-Fi setting. I don't get a sense of community. How do my actions affect EVERYONE and not just myself? Do they? If they affect only my character, what's the point of making this an MMO?

I have my doubts as I have said, and I want to be proven wrong. As of now, instanced games irk me. Call me old-school, but I want to be a part of the greater whole.

If you notice about 3:34 into the demo, he comments about waving at some one else. lol and not to mention this is just a demo,no beta, just a demo..so i can not see how you can come to the conclusion that this game will be mostly instanced. anywho imo its looking pretty good imo, but its still to early to tell.

one other thing to note, people are so critical about the graphics at such an early stage...come on, their more worried about game play,mechanics,classes, bug fixes and such..."you cant quite paint a house til you build the foundation, and put up the walls", those you need to get right first imo, other wise who gives an F about the graphics.

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/videos/gcom09_oldrepublic_spc1_082109.html

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

So you want boring combat just because it would look more like a traditional mmo? Absurd.

The combat of the Sith was jaw dropping imo: swinging his saber behind his back to deflect blaster bolts, stabbing slicing and making powerful jabs. Looked very fluid and dynamic, how people find this boring is beyond me.

In fact: give me one example of an mmo which has this kind of combat in the lvl 5-10 range. In pre alpha

The ranged: I agree, it looked far less interesting than the lightsaber moves, but again, this is pre alpha.

Cover system felt somewhat awkward as well imo.

Dialogue looked a lot like mass effect, which is cool.

To the haters:

1. Ranting about graphics is pointless, we knew they would have this for a long time, it brings with it it's own style (which I like, except for the walking), and it has 3 other advantages:

• it enables them to add new content fairly easily. It's a highly flexible engine
    • it ensures the game is playable on machines which are a bit older.
    • it has a low CPU/memory signature , effectively reducing lag.

2. OMG they are liars because Tabula Rasa/ Stargate Worlds have a cover system!!

• Tabula Rasa: if crouching behind a rock for added defense is your definition of a 'cover system' ... ok, clearly it isn't Biowares definition.
    • Stargate Worlds: saw the gameplay here on mmorpg.com? Crouching behind a barrier with your Jaffa stick clipping through the metal in front of you when you fire deserves a /facepalm... nothing more.

3. OMG they are liars because FFXIV is a fully voiced mmo as well!

• No confirmation on NPC's being fully voiced at this point (thus: Bioware doesn't know either)
    • Highly doubtful they will voice PC's as well

4.OMG Dialogue will be boring lol

• A lot of people think otherwise, seeing that it gathered such a hype with only the promise of story (which we all ranted so long about)
    • There were only a couple of short moments of dialogue in this vid, if you can't pay attention for that long, you have ADD and should take your medication, no offence.

Overall, this game still needs a lot more info out, but for this trailer being pre-alpha footage, it seriously blew all the rest we saw mmo-wise lately out of the water.

lol

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Nice. From what you posted the way it's worded it's pretty clear it's speculation on the part of the site whereas what I posted was clearly directly from the devs mouth. But hell even if we grant your lunacy your own quote "mostly every character/npc in the game" STILL doesn't = a Fully Voiced MMO. I understand in your world it does, but I think we've come to the understanding that your world doesn't have much in common with the real one.

Keep on spinning sonny boy, that galaxy's gotta twirl somehow.

Yes, the producer of the game is speculating as to what the devs might do in that interview- there's no way he would be informed that the game would have voice acting, no. >_>;

Does SW:TOR have full voice acting on 4 different languages btw? I'd say that brings the amount of dialogue needed to voice act a bit more than what Bioware is attempting to do, making their claim seem even more silly.

PS. you didn't seem to notice the word 'every' after the word 'mostly'.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1014918p1.html

SW:TOR will have full VO in three languages (English, French, German) which is > "mostly" VO in 4... lol.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by eric_w66

Tell that to Qui-Gonn, and Obi-Wan. Jedi Masters - one hit - dead.

Qui-Gonn got skewered and Obi-Wan sacrificed himself (joined the force, etc)...

And they weren't blasters... Lightsabres still can only "wound" if the wound isn't vital (it was for Qui-Gonn, but even he lived a bit after it, if I remember correctly).

• madjakemadjake Member UncommonPosts: 233

I love the idea of it being more epic and the ability to take on multiple enemies. It may seem easy but if they do it right it'll be fun.

I had been on the sidelines before but after this video I can't wait to get my hands on this title!

• jus123jus123 Member Posts: 33

this game doesnt look like a mmo but i still think it wont do well becouse people will stick with wow

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Worth keeping a eye on definitely, there is hope!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

looks very interesting!

I can't wait to see the other classes, it looks like they're doing a good job of introducing balanced classes, yet keeping the interest of the SW universe. I'm lovin' the cinematic look of the game from what they've showed. Looks promising.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by saker

Worth keeping a eye on definitely, there is hope!

One might say, "A New Hope". (Pun intended) :D For me this is the only game worth keeping an eye on.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• triprunnertriprunner Member Posts: 169

Awesome gameplay but it seems TOR will follow the path of Guild Wars/DDO MMOs, meaning the missions/quests will take place in instances. They'll be hubs on the planets where players will converge and create groups and then go on missions together.

I don't mind instanced gameplay and it's the only way to introduce any storyline/dialogue content in an MMORPG.

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by triprunner

Awesome gameplay but it seems TOR will follow the path of Guild Wars/DDO MMOs, meaning the missions/quests will take place in instances. They'll be hubs on the planets where players will converge and create groups and then go on missions together.
    I don't mind instanced gameplay and it's the only way to introduce any storyline/dialogue content in an MMORPG.

I agree with the above comments , there was nothing MMO about this game and im fairly sure it will be instanced from what we see , with a few comunity areas.

I know its a work in progress and really hope it turns out to be somethin special but i have to say im totally not impressed at this point, just going off only what i saw in the vids i would have more fun reisntalling the first KOTOR.

And as for havin to go through all that crap dialogue , give me a break, god help me if you doing the same instance over n over.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

how is this game an MMO? maybe they should call it the first COOP online RPG. game looks ok wish combat was more than your standard MMO combat.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

Great so we're going to have some 10k heroic players running around on each server.  You know there's such a thing as too heroic.  I mean the game doesn't even look challenging.  And honestly even with the so called never before seen storyline driven aspect, it looks a whole lot like go to this dungeon or this zone and kill this many enemies.  Combat is just slightly better than the KOTOR 1 and 2 games.  So really what is there that's interesting?  I'm sitting here saying all this as one of the first people who tried to get Bioware to make a KOTOR MMO.  Believe me or not, I honestly had high hopes for this game, but it just looks like KOTOR 3 Online.

Originally posted by seniorfrito

it just looks like KOTOR 3 Online.

Mission accomplished? o=

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

No, not mission accomplished.  I honestly hated KOTOR 1 and 2 because of the combat and the lack of control over your character.  I wasn't hoping for KOTOR 3.  I was hoping to be immersed.  This is more like WoW with a KOTOR skin and Clone Wars tv series graphics.