Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft bans EU countries from AION EU. UPDATED.

Comments

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by markoraos

IP blocking is simply WRONG because it is removing the choice from the players and pigeonholing them into arbitrarily drawn  drawn corporate "regions" that may or may not have any basis in reality and what is most convenient for the paying customers.

Did they say who is going to be running the Russian release?

Did they say whether there will only be Russian servers or servers ofr multiple languages/regions?

Did NCSoft mandate the block or was it local law or a publisher agreement that mandated it?

I didn't see anything in the thread regarding any of those issues.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

Hmm, im in Egypt and i can play on the EU servers and you in Europe can't....thats kinda sad.....i hope NC gets this prob sorted out.

• ChaosasChaosas Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

IP blocking is simply WRONG because it is removing the choice from the players and pigeonholing them into arbitrarily drawn  drawn corporate "regions" that may or may not have any basis in reality and what is most convenient for the paying customers.

Did they say who is going to be running the Russian release?

Did they say whether there will only be Russian servers or servers ofr multiple languages/regions?

Did NCSoft mandate the block or was it local law or a publisher agreement that mandated it?

I didn't see anything in the thread regarding any of those issues.

It was mentioned a bunch of times already...

Russian release will be done by a company "Innova Group" which also handled the Russian Lineage 2 release. They will only do localized Russian servers of course.

It wasn't a problem with local law, but the fact that NCSoft gave the rights to distribute the game in the Baltic region to Innova. As to why they did it, no idea - but now as the rights to distribute Aion belong to Innova here, they can't distribute the EU version.

Anyway, someone mentioned that this is a "business decision". The point is that it does not make any sense business-wise, as it is a given that there would be many times more Lithuanians playing on EU servers than Russian ones.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

"Racism" has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

For example, tho NCsoft may find it convenient for whatever nefarious economical reasons to put countries like Turkey and Croatia into "russian" zone it is utterly idiotic towards the players. Croatia (and former Yugoslavia) was never a part of the eastern block or Warsaw pact (it was a neutral buffer zone between east and west) and very very few people there know Russian or even had any contact with Russians  - most people in Croatia speak english as their second language. Of all the eastern european countries, even those in the EU, Croatia is probably the one with the LEAST cultural or historical connections to Russia. Turkey is pretty much the same.. but even more so because there's been a centuries old rivalry between Russia and Turkey and during the cold war Turkey was probably the staunchest NATO point defender, right there at the hot southern border. I very sincerely doubt any Turks or Croats would find themselves comfortable on a Russian speaking server - they'd probably hang together, isolated from the rest of the population and speak english between themselves.

As for the Baltic states I really have nothing to say that hasn't been said before.

Imo, the whole IP blocking thing is utter crap. Everybody should be able to choose where they want to play. I don't see why turks living in GB shouldn't be able to play on a Turkish speaking server. Or why shouldn't Russians be allowed to hang out with EU people if they wish to. Or why americans in Moscow shouldn't be able to play with their countrymen. IP blocking is wrong and utterly at odds with the very spirit of the internet.

Your post started reasonable but still failed when you decided to put politics in it.

My point is that if you follow this logic of "I dont feel/want/feelcomfortable playing with this or that group and there for you should provide me with server with people I DO want to play with" this means we end up playing single player game heh.

I don`t like playing with players younger then 21. I can only have fun playing with mature people.

Should NCsoft make 21+ servers to accomodate players like me?

Yeah that will happen.

There are english that can`t stand germans, split EU servers maybe? heh

So this is not a case of denying you the "freedom" to choose the large group you`ll play with but it`s more about NCsoft not taking silly prejudices of the Europeans  in consideration when they were making business decisions on this issue.

Only issue I see with not being able to play with other nations is the time zones.

I`m sure there are people that only can or prefer playing at nights so would like to play on US servers instead of "empty" EU servers for example, but that`s not the case here.

So if the croatian,baltic or turk dude passes on AION because for whatever reason he cant stand playing with a particular group, he `ll be missing on a huge fun in an amazing game because of his own silly prejudices, not because of NCsoft.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• KlazartSCKlazartSC Member Posts: 19

It's got nothing to do with time zones or anything else. You don't seem to understand the BASIC fact that the GAME and servers will be in RUSSIAN. You can't expect people from non-Russian counties to speak Russian, it's moronic. 

In most EU countries English is the second language, and like it or not, that is the language most people around Europe communicate with each other with across borders. So to forbid players from playing on English speaking servers is wrong and stupid.

I disagree with server segregation of any kind to begin with. IP blocking is a big no no in my book and gives me a very negative view of companies that engage in such practices that ignore the needs of the customers.

• Mind you I have not read every post in the thread so I have no idea if this has allready been suggested, but can the before mentioned players just enroll on the EU servers, like some have done on the korean/chinese servers?

The lag issuse will be pretty much  non existent since the EU servers wont be further away than they would if the situation was non existant. I can see how this sucks for you, but arent there a fairly simple solution?

Originally posted by KlazartSC

It's got nothing to do with time zones or anything else. You don't seem to understand the BASIC fact that the GAME and servers will be in RUSSIAN. You can't expect people from non-Russian counties to speak Russian, it's moronic. 

In most EU countries English is the second language, and like it or not, that is the language most people around Europe communicate with each other with across borders. So to forbid players from playing on English speaking servers is wrong and stupid.

I disagree with server segregation of any kind to begin with. IP blocking is a big no no in my book and gives me a very negative view of companies that engage in such practices that ignore the needs of the customers.

I`ll respond to this in case this was a response to my last post.

First part of your post (language barriers) = weak argument.

I can`t believe that NCsoft would be so stupid to make the quest dialogs and the UI text in russian only while including Turkey on the same server for example.

That would make no sense and it would be appearent the first day that they need some translations heh.

I dissagree with segregation of servers too, I live in Europe but played EQ1 for years on US server.

I`m sure game companies have their reasons for segregating them though (server stress and maybe desire for somewhat equaly spread player base around the servers perhaps?)

I don`t like it, but this issue is not going to prevent me from playing and enjoying the game.

Some of the posters seem to consider droping the game all together because they feel "forced" to play with rusians though.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Benjola 
    Your post started reasonable but still failed when you decided to put politics in it.
    My point is that if you follow this logic of "I dont feel/want/feelcomfortable playing with this or that group and there for you should provide me with server with people I DO want to play with" this means we end up playing single player game heh.
    I don`t like playing with players younger then 21. I can only have fun playing with mature people.

The question there is not about "omg I feel soo bad when together with these players"

Its about playability itself.

Can you read chinese? Would you play a game entirelly in chinese?
    Would you even DARE to go and play in the servers hosted for the country which uses non-stop propaganda against your nation?
    Would you play in the servers where most of population consists of those who think that "Stalin is the greatest national hero" and that "USA, Baltic States and Georgia are the biggest enemies of motherland"?

The simple answer is no.

Germans and English at least have something in common with each other.

The only thing in common between Russian Federation and Baltic States is that CCCP for 50 years tried to erase the baltic states from the map forever.

So this is not a case of denying you the "freedom" to choose the large group you`ll play with but it`s more about NCsoft not taking silly prejudices of the Europeans  in consideration when they were making business decisions on this issue.

Yes this is the case of denying freedom of choice. Hobson's Choice/Morton's Fork is not a choice.

Only issue I see with not being able to play with other nations is the time zones.

The only issue?

What about not being able to:
    1. Play together with culturally close nations.
    2. Play together with friendly players.
    3. Understand the language.

So if the croatian,baltic or turk dude passes on AION because for whatever reason he cant stand playing with a particular group

Oh right, here comes the "turn the other cheek", right?

"croatian,baltic or turk dude passes on AION" because:
    1. he can't understand the client language.
    2. The majority of players is hostile towards the "dude" because of his nationality.
    3. He can't communicate with other players due to language barrier.

, he `ll be missing on a huge fun in an amazing game because of his own silly prejudices, not because of NCsoft.

Can't say anything to this part, but to note that it sounds...ignorant.

Originally posted by Anthrrax
    Mind you I have not read every post in the thread so I have no idea if this has allready been suggested, but can the before mentioned players just enroll on the EU servers, like some have done on the korean/chinese servers?
    The lag issuse will be pretty much non existent since the EU servers wont be further away than they would if the situation was non existant. I can see how this sucks for you, but arent there a fairly simple solution?

No. Country-based IP bans. English-speaking players are FORCED to play in RUSSIAN server.

I can`t believe that NCsoft would be so stupid to make the quest dialogs and the UI text in russian only while including Turkey on the same server for example.

1. All your posts = jumping to assumptions.
    2. Nowhere does it state that "Turkey" will belong to the same Innova Group license.
    3. Yes Innova Group license covers RUSSIAN Federation. The Entire game client will be in RUSSIAN language, just like US/EU servers are in English, JP in Japanese and etc.

That would make no sense and it would be appearent the first day that they need some translations heh.
    No that does not make any sense.

"Targeted age group in all of these countries DOES NOT speak Russian language > They are put into the RUSSIAN localisation license..."

I`m sure game companies have their reasons for segregating them though (server stress and maybe desire for somewhat equaly spread player base around the servers perhaps?)
    I don`t like it, but this issue is not going to prevent me from playing and enjoying the game.
    At least if its done, let it be done correctly.

Putting people who do NOT speak russian into russian-speaking community and russian-localised-servers is beyond ANYTHING connected to "reason".

Some of the posters seem to consider droping the game all together because they feel "forced" to play with rusians though.

Yes there are people like that. Some are just morons, however what you fail to see is that the situation between the forementioned countries posters live in and Russian Federation IS intense.

Official public poll by Russian press:
    "Top 5 enemies of Russia"
    Winners: USA, Lithuania, Georgia, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine.

"forced" to play with Russians IS a fearful thought when you belong to these nations.

However main problem, as stated remains in language.

Russian-speaking community + russian-localisation = language barrier.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

"Racism" has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

For example, tho NCsoft may find it convenient for whatever nefarious economical reasons to put countries like Turkey and Croatia into "russian" zone it is utterly idiotic towards the players. Croatia (and former Yugoslavia) was never a part of the eastern block or Warsaw pact (it was a neutral buffer zone between east and west) and very very few people there know Russian or even had any contact with Russians  - most people in Croatia speak english as their second language. Of all the eastern european countries, even those in the EU, Croatia is probably the one with the LEAST cultural or historical connections to Russia. Turkey is pretty much the same.. but even more so because there's been a centuries old rivalry between Russia and Turkey and during the cold war Turkey was probably the staunchest NATO point defender, right there at the hot southern border. I very sincerely doubt any Turks or Croats would find themselves comfortable on a Russian speaking server - they'd probably hang together, isolated from the rest of the population and speak english between themselves.

As for the Baltic states I really have nothing to say that hasn't been said before.

Imo, the whole IP blocking thing is utter crap. Everybody should be able to choose where they want to play. I don't see why turks living in GB shouldn't be able to play on a Turkish speaking server. Or why shouldn't Russians be allowed to hang out with EU people if they wish to. Or why americans in Moscow shouldn't be able to play with their countrymen. IP blocking is wrong and utterly at odds with the very spirit of the internet.

Yeah that will happen.

I`m sure there are people that only can or prefer playing at nights so would like to play on US servers instead of "empty" EU servers for example, but that`s not the case here.

So if the croatian,baltic or turk dude passes on AION because for whatever reason he cant stand playing with a particular group, he `ll be missing on a huge fun in an amazing game because of his own silly prejudices, not because of NCsoft.

It's nothing to do with "politics" like it has nothing to do with "racism" as well. Any kind of forcing the players to play on a server that does not suit them, based solely on their current geographical location, is wrong. The very point of the internet is that geographical location does not matter - it is what you are, not where you live that counts.

And bigotry has nothing to do with it. Nothing whatsoever. The problem is that this "regionalization" of the internet is what is creating bigotry. I don't see any reason why persons living in Russia should be barred from the english speaking servers for example. Since I live in a small nation with a peculiar language one of the main draws of the mmo genre for me is that I get to meet people from all over the world and practice my english daily. On the other hand I can understand Russians or French or Germans who'd like to hang out with their countrymen and/or speak their own language rather than english. Imo there should be variety between servers - but based on the language spoken and yes, why not an 18+ or teen only server? Or timezone servers for that matter? However this policy of forcing the game population into this or that server and, even worse, this or that client version based SOLELY on their current geographical location is total and utter bollocks - it is simply not compatible with the global medium that is the internet.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667
    Originally posted by Yuui

The question there is not about "omg I feel soo bad when together with these players"

Would you even DARE to go and play in the servers hosted for the country which uses non-stop propaganda against your nation?

Would you play in the servers where most of population consists of those who think that "Stalin is the greatest national hero" and that "USA, Baltic States and Georgia are the biggest enemies of motherland"?

The simple answer is no.

The only thing in common between Russian Federation and Baltic States is that CCCP for 50 years tried to erase the baltic states from the map forever.

Yes this is the case of denying freedom of choice. Hobson's Choice/Morton's Fork is not a choice.

The only issue?

So if the croatian,baltic or turk dude passes on AION because for whatever reason he cant stand playing with a particular group

2. The majority of players is hostile towards the "dude" because of his nationality.

, he `ll be missing on a huge fun in an amazing game because of his own silly prejudices, not because of NCsoft.

Hey everyone!

Look up PWNED in the Encyclopedia and what do you get?

Picture of Benjola!

I`ll respond to this in case this was a response to my last post.
    First part of your post (language barriers) = weak argument.
    I dissagree with segregation of servers too, I live in Europe but played EQ1 for years on US server.

How is it a weak argument? I don't understand not nearly enough Russian to be able to enjoy a fully translated and localized game. Yes, everything from voice acting to quest dialogues will be in Russian, plus you'll have to type in Cyrillic to communicate and those characters aren't even marked on my keyboard!

• RichijefeRichijefe Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by inkvizitoris

Lithuanian players cant play AION in the EU servers, when lithuania actually is center of europe.
    According NCsoft..... lithuania belongs to Russian Region.... witch is not. Young lithuanians dont even speak in russian... and we gonna get only AION RU...... witch is not english version of the game....
    A lot of ppl was waiting here for AION, and now its totaly disappointment.
    UPDATE:

these countries experiencing the same issue:
    - All baltic states ( Estonia, Lithuania and letland )

- Turkey

- Croatia

Lithuania is not the center of Europe geographically, you better get a map. And they are probably splitting it up like that for convenience issues.Since the baltic countries are near Russia, I bet they felt the servers in Russia should take care of the potentially few customers in the baltics. 

And those markets I assume are not so big for NCSoft Europe, since they are small countries with low GDP/capita relative to the EU 27 average. As well you have the current ongoing meltdown of the baltic economies with exorbitant unemployment, ie., even less potential customers in the baltic countries now that 3 years ago.

Several reasons for NCSofts decision, all valid.

Better start learning Russian, or download a language pack like the european/american people playing on Chinese servers.

There is always solutions to a problem, whining about it on mmorpg.com is pretty useless. Rather get a collective action going and contact NCSoft.

Richijefe

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

Listen, you people complaining are missing one very important issue here.  There is a reason why eastern European countries can't play on the central European servers - latency.

You many think that you all have perfect connections to these servers - you don't.  I had the misfortune to play with the Russians <who I find despicable, but just my opinion based on personal experiences> in Age of Conan.  Everytime I came into contact with them during PvP, they lagged my game out, and trying to hit them was a near impossibility.  They caught onto this fact very quickly, and made very good use of it.  This wasn't isolated to just me, I was involved in some very heated debates about it on the AoC forums.

This is predominantly a PvP game, and I certainly don't want to be facing hordes of Russian players causing latency problems to a server they are too far away from.

I'm very pleased NCSoft have taken this stance.  The boundary line has to be drawn somewhere, so it's just tough luck on those that would rather be playing elsewhere.  Thank your lucky stars you have the game available to you, and stop QQ for God's sake.

Originally posted by Yuui

The simple answer is no.

The only issue?

Lol.

You guys can repeat weak arguments 100 times it`s not going to make them more valid.

Language barriers are easy to solve for NCsoft.

Freedom of choise you say?

I said in one of my posts that I preffer playing with 21+ age of players.

Where`s my choise?

Where are my 21+ servers?

Why am I "forced" to play with immature kiddies?

How is OPs complaint more legit then this (made up) complaint of mine?

Should I ragequit because of it and go play Single player games instead of making it work?

Sorry but I don`t see legit complaints in this thread.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Spaceweed10

Listen, you people complaining are missing one very important issue here.  There is a reason why eastern European countries can't play on the central European servers - latency.
    You many think that you all have perfect connections to these servers - you don't.  I had the misfortune to play with the Russians <who I find despicable, but just my opinion based on personal experiences> in Age of Conan.  Everytime I came into contact with them during PvP, they lagged my game out, and trying to hit them was a near impossibility.  They caught onto this fact very quickly, and made very good use of it.  This wasn't isolated to just me, I was involved in some very heated debates about it on the AoC forums.
    This is predominantly a PvP game, and I certainly don't want to be facing hordes of Russian players causing latency problems to a server they are too far away from.
    I'm very pleased NCSoft have taken this stance.  The boundary line has to be drawn somewhere, so it's just tough luck on those that would rather be playing elsewhere.  Thank your lucky stars you have the game available to you, and stop QQ for God's sake.

Well the dorks at NCsoft shouldn't have placed their servers in effing Ireland which happens to be the westernmost effing country in the effing EU.

If they put them in Germany or Switzerland for example then we'd have no lag whatsoever for the europe but oh no, they had to put them in effing Ireland. Like the north atlantic has a playerbase comparable to the mainland over there to the east. Sheesh... probably the only worst place you could put a mmo server down in europe would be Iceland... even north Finland would probably make a better choice.

No offense but I think this is a load of bullsh*t. I've played AoC for months and my ping was always stable between 70 and 80. Contrary to your beliefs, the internet infrastructure is pretty good in the Baltic region. Maybe not so much due to our technological advances as due to the fact that they're all tiny countries so you don't need much fiber optics cables :) And you can check out the speed tests at http://speedtest.net/global.php for example.

Lithuania is not the center of Europe geographically, you better get a map.

It is, and so are like 5 other countries. See my post:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3026421#3026421

And Wikipeda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_centre_of_Europe

(Not that this is a proper argument in any way - us being members of EU is much more important).

You guys can repeat weak arguments 100 times it`s not going to make them more valid.

Let me make this simple for you:

1) I don't understand Russian.

2) Innova's Aion will be fully in Russian language, played by 99% Russian players and for some reason 1% players from Baltic countries.

3) We will be blocked from playing on Aion EU (according to NCSoft GMs).

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Chaosas

No offense but I think this is a load of bullsh*t. I've played AoC for months and my ping was always stable between 70 and 80. Contrary to your beliefs, the internet infrastructure is pretty good in the Baltic region. Maybe not so much due to our technological advances as due to the fact that they're all tiny countries so you don't need much fiber optics cables :) And you can check out the speed tests at http://speedtest.net/global.php for example.

And Wikipeda:

(Not that this is a proper argument in any way - us being members of EU is much more important).

2) Innova's Aion will be 100% in Russian language, played by 99% Russian players and for some reason 1% players from Baltic countries.

Lithuania is not center of europe, they claim to be, but i think anyone with a bit of brain and not dumb as a stone can look at the map and clearly see it is far from the center.... they can claim what the hell they want

Originally posted by tryklon

Lithuania is not center of europe, they claim to be, but i think anyone with a bit of brain and not dumb as a stone can look at the map and clearly see it is far from the center.... they can claim what the hell they want

Since you found it too damn hard to follow the link and read my other post, I'll just copy it here. I'll even bold the important parts for you.

Regarding the center of Europe: Lithuania is the geographical center of Europe by some measurement methods. So is Austria, Hungary, Germany, Estonia and a bunch of other countries. It all depends whether they include remote islands into calculations, or the European part of Russia, and so on and on. Wikipedia has more info on this:

In other words, it's not wrong to say that Lithuania is the geographical center of Europe, but of course it does not mean anything whatsoever. So is Austria, Germany, Slovakia, etc. What is much more important is not the geography but the politics, and the Baltic states being the members of European Union. (OP was wrong to mention this as it's not a valid argument in any way).

Don't worry - no Lithuanian actually believes that we're the "real" center of Europe. Everyone knows the Baltic region and the entire Eastern Europe is behind the Western and Central Europe in terms of living standards and development - a direct result of 50 year long occupation by the USSR, I might add.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

One would assume that you guys could speak russian after 50 years of occupation =P either way, like i posted before, you people sure arent the center of europe, but you ppl arent also russians and dont speak russian, so this is all stupid and all those countrys should play with us fellow europeans, wich is, nowadays, what you also are

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Could all you europeans and russians please do me a favor and watch "Rocky 4" before reporting me as a hatemonger to the mods.

What I typed was a quote from a movie.

Ment as a joke to settle down an already ridiculous post growing out of control.

here's a map of europe:
    http://www.geographicguide.net/europe/maps-europe/maps/europe-political.jpg

By your Logic Finland should be in Russian license too and Spain should get an African-localised server?

Not to mention that it IS the other way around -

baltic states get GOOD latency towards europe(my personal ping to Copenhagen - 45ms, to Ireland(where NCSOFT servers are) 59ms) and BAD towards Russia(my personal ping to Moscow - 450ms).

You whine about few russian players.

now imagine getting thrown into server where 90% of population "lag you out"

Originally posted by tryklon
    One would assume that you guys could speak russian after 50 years of occupation =P

We are really stubborn people, I guess.

Not to mention:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_smuggler < we invented it xD

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by Chaosas

And Wikipeda:

2) Innova's Aion will be fully in Russian language, played by 99% Russian players and for some reason 1% players from Baltic countries.

I don't care if you think what I said is 'bullsh!t' or not, sonny - it was a fact proven on many occasions that it was happening.

I also don't care that you won't be playing on our servers with your attitude in tow.  See ya, have fun.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I think it's wonderful. NcSoft will probably earn a Nobel peace Prize for uniting these countries in conflict under one banner of FUN in the virtual Aion universe. Bravo, NcSoft!!...Bravo and kudos!!! Now all they need to do is put the all the arab nations..Israel and Eygpt together as well. NcSoft....catering to world peace..one server at a time.

Well, since some of you feel strongly about this issue, have you tried NCsoft sites and forums as well as contacting them directly?

Don`t waste your energy on this forum too much I doubt it will make any difference other then let you vent some.

Well, since some of you feel strongly about this issue, have you tried NCsoft sites and forums as well as contacting them directly?
    Don`t waste your energy on this forum too much I doubt it will make any difference other then let you vent some.

Yes. Thats how the issue got out of the bag after all.

however so far - no intelligent response. Most of those who try to contact, get the same answer posted int he first post in this thread.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON