Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Issue 16 Hands-On Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Carl Cascone writes this preview of Paragon Studios' upcoming Issue 16 release for their popular superhero MMO, City of Heroes.

City of Heroes remains the champion of character and player customization. Players can customize their characters right down to the levels of accessories, and with a little time and creativity, players can create exactly the characters they envision. Whether a player wants to play a masked crusader from the old four color days of the Golden Age, a mage from the pages of sword and sorcery, or the ever popular tropes from Manga and Japanese animation, the character creator from City of Heroes can oblige. Customization is not limited to character creation, as players can create their own canon or non-canon related stories and missions for other players to enjoy. The release of the long awaited Issue 16 will increase this customization even further. Powers will now be fully customizable , and each player will have increased control over standard City of Heroes missions. Matt Miller (Positron) Senior Lead Designer, Bruce Harlick (Horatio) Lead Designer, and Adam King, City of Heroes Brand Manager were kind enough to give MMORPG.com a tour of Issue 16 Paragon City, and showcase some of the projected new features.

Read the Issue 16 Hands-On Preview

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

This game just gets better and better.   Team with anyone else, regardless of level.   Customize the look of your powers, customize your missions.   No MMO on the market offers this level of control.

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by SwampRob

This game just gets better and better.   Team with anyone else, regardless of level.   Customize the look of your powers, customize your missions.   No MMO on the market offers this level of control.

except the other cryptic superhero mmo :P

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by nekollx

The other one?   The one that does not let you create your own missions?  The one that doesn't let you set your missions at various levels of difficulty?   The one that doesn't let you set them for anywhere from a team of one through eight?   The one that doesn't auto sidekick your friends regardless of their level so that you can always team together?    Right, that one.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Unless I'm remembering wrong, the only member of the original Cryptic team who left CoH was Jack Emmert after he sold the game to NCSoft. Most, if not all, of the game development staff stayed to work for Paragon. From where I'm sitting, it looks like Mr. Emmert scampered off with a trunkload of ideas the CoH devs were already working on, things, I might add, that we were told could not be implemented in the game.

It's interesting that Jack was always so deathly afraid of the "Tank Mage" concept, even when the game was strictly PvE. It looks like he got over that when work started on Marvel Universe Champions Online.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

The other one?   The one that does not let you create your own missions?  The one that doesn't let you set your missions at various levels of difficulty?   The one that doesn't let you set them for anywhere from a team of one through eight?   The one that doesn't auto sidekick your friends regardless of their level so that you can always team together?    Right, that one.

actually it does do the last one...

And since most missions are outdoors (in my experiences) it's a bit harder to set "world difficulty"

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

A lot of those features CoH didn't have at launch.  In my opinion, the mission architect is what really destroyed the game.  That's why a lot of us left.  There is also a sidekicking ability in CO.

give it some time, I love the AE, hell i have 8 story arc published and with a number of plays all of them rated 4 stars. Sure Ae was abused, but that's the nature of the beast. Gives 300,000 popsicles and i GARETEE you a small percentage ofthem will find out how to make 5 more free.

• ceciladkinsceciladkins City of Heroes CorrespondentMember Posts: 7

The article mentions improvements to Architect Entertainment in Issue 16. It'd be nice to know what those are, since the paragraph that talks about AE:

Architect Entertainment also will receive some improvements with Issue 16. Some AE missions will fall under the category of Developer Choice Missions. These missions will embody those elements the developers feel make excellent missions, and will be deemed outstanding by the developers. In Developer Choice Missions, the players will be able to select whether the rewards dropped are salvage and enhancements, or AE tickets. Developers Choice Missions are always chosen by the developers, but there is a Hall of Fame category for AE missions which are completely player chosen. The Hall of Fame will make it much easier for the favorite missions to be found.

doesn't contain any new information whatsoever. Everything in that paragraph has existed since Issue 14, except for the ability to choose between tickets and regular rewards, which came in Issue 15. No Issue 16 stuff there at all.

Originally posted by ceciladkins

The article mentions improvements to Architect Entertainment in Issue 16. It'd be nice to know what those are, since the paragraph that talks about AE:

Architect Entertainment also will receive some improvements with Issue 16. Some AE missions will fall under the category of Developer Choice Missions. These missions will embody those elements the developers feel make excellent missions, and will be deemed outstanding by the developers. In Developer Choice Missions, the players will be able to select whether the rewards dropped are salvage and enhancements, or AE tickets. Developers Choice Missions are always chosen by the developers, but there is a Hall of Fame category for AE missions which are completely player chosen. The Hall of Fame will make it much easier for the favorite missions to be found.

doesn't contain any new information whatsoever. Everything in that paragraph has existed since Issue 14, except for the ability to choose between tickets and regular rewards, which came in Issue 15. No Issue 16 stuff there at all.

Congrats on the title. Truth is i had a aplication waiting for issue 16 to hit for a CoH Correspodent as well. I was going to do in depth runs and reviews of each archtype...oh well guess i do a CO Correspondent :p

• ceciladkinsceciladkins City of Heroes CorrespondentMember Posts: 7

Congrats on the title. Truth is i had a aplication waiting for issue 16 to hit for a CoH Correspodent as well. I was going to do in depth runs and reviews of each archtype...oh well guess i do a CO Correspondent :p
    Thanks.  But it looks like they have more than one Correspondent for several games, so just because I got the "position" doesn't mean they won't give it to you as well.  :)

well then I'll hang onto my Ultimate Archetype guides for 16 to hit then and give it a shot. Whose case scanario I got something to post on the forums in the Guides section

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

It all looks good -- hopefully the mission team is still adding some bit of content too though...

• CuppaALCuppaAL Member Posts: 3

How could you set difficulties when most of Champion's Online's quests are not even limited to only instanced missions?

Actually, if you didn't notice, COX's new sidekick idea were stolen from Champions Online. 

Yes, the one that have open world questing systems along with public quests and instanced missions. The one that allow players to have a greater customization of their powers, and actually let the players to try them all out before  picking them, The one that offer more travel powers with better animations and does not require a player to grind till level 14 to get them. The one that could allow players to customize their stat points, gears, power ranks upgrade, and power benefits upgrade. The one that doesn't require everyone to waste additional two powers before getting Stamina at level 20 or with any travel powers. The one that is filled with interact able objects in game, like the entire world is a giant Mayhem mission in COX.

IMO to sum it up, the one that has less limitations, better graphics, more powers, better animations,  and  faster game play.

To make it clear, I am not a die hard fan of Champions Online, I think COX was and still is a good game, but thats honestly how I felt about Champions Online during open beta. I just can't stand COX's fan boy making stuff up that's not true.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm very excited that I'll finally be able to change the appearance of my Spines Scrapper. To be honest, having giant bananas bursting out of my skin really didn't fit in with my character design.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I like CoH way more than the CO beta... nice to see that it keeps improving. :) 

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by ceciladkins

Hey, have they fixed the issue 13 PvP mess yet?  In other words are your powers still suppressed, disabled or diminished in the PvP zones?  I kinda liked actually using the powers I earned, and the crafted enhancements I slotted in them. 

• SolasauSolasau Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by CuppaAL

How could you set difficulties when most of Champion's Online's quests are not even limited to only instanced missions?

Actually, if you didn't notice, COX's new sidekick idea were stolen from Champions Online. 

Yes, the one that have open world questing systems along with public quests and instanced missions. The one that allow players to have a greater customization of their powers, and actually let the players to try them all out before  picking them, The one that offer more travel powers with better animations and does not require a player to grind till level 14 to get them. The one that could allow players to customize their stat points, gears, power ranks upgrade, and power benefits upgrade. The one that doesn't require everyone to waste additional two powers before getting Stamina at level 20 or with any travel powers. The one that is filled with interact able objects in game, like the entire world is a giant Mayhem mission in COX.

IMO to sum it up, the one that has less limitations, better graphics, more powers, better animations,  and  faster game play.

To make it clear, I am not a die hard fan of Champions Online, I think COX was and still is a good game, but thats honestly how I felt about Champions Online during open beta. I just can't stand COX's fan boy making stuff up that's not true.

I don't like contradicting anyone, but here are some pertinent facts:

1) The idea of power customisation was floated a year ago in the Paragon Studios offices, so it's not 'stolen' from CO. And the depth of customisation far outweighs that of CO. CO allows a limited number of emanation points and color tinting. That's all. CoX is offering the brightness, color, tinting and in some cases the animation choices for powers. Emanations aren't there yet, but they may be in i16, noone knows just yet.

2)CO has alternate animations, not necessarily better ones.  Yes, they give you the option to have travel powers at level five, but level 15 in CoH is pretty much the equivalent, and you forget the temporary powers that are the stopgap between them.

3) The stat point system in CO is very open to min/maxing and abuse and is no more complex than CoX's slotting system. All CO characters MUST start with a ranged power, so how is that a more open system? Additionally, CO stamina system is entirely dependent on the attack to charge larger attack cycle, no more or less arbitrary than CoX's stamina system. However, CoX's attacks can lead with the more powerful attack, whereas CO does not give the player this option.

4) You're right, CO does have destructible objects and terrain....which originated in CoX. It's vastly unfair to make the comparison to a game that is older and would have to rewrite significant game code to make the environment interactive.

CO has as many limitations, marginally better graphics with more requirements, less variety in customisation, and a DIFFERENT gameplay style than CoX.  Your 'examples' are somewhat biased.

S.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

Hell, people have been asking for Power Customization since CoH was going to be loosely based on the FUZION RPG System. . . Of course, one of the parents of FUZION is the HERO System. Where Champions was created. So, I guess what I'm saying is.. it's about time. I'm excited about this.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• VirDanVirDan Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Sanguinia

Hell, people have been asking for Power Customization since CoH was going to be loosely based on the FUZION RPG System. . . Of course, one of the parents of FUZION is the HERO System. Where Champions was created. So, I guess what I'm saying is.. it's about time. I'm excited about this.

So at a time when the common pnp hero games were DCH, MSH, HU, Champions (Hero), GURPS Supers, M&M.... Champions allowed the most complex customization of all the games.  For many folks, the Hero system was just too damn complicated to be any fun when compared to the other systems.

It is kind of sad to see it reduced to Champions Online, which looks dumbed down compared even to the original MSH game.

That CoX continues to improve upon itself with the various issues speaks well of the game over the years.  CO is just a waste of an IP.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I'm sure CO is going to copy or improve things that CoX is doing and vice versa.  Since a lot of people that worked on CoX are now working on CO that's to be expected.  As to which game will be "better" well we have to wait and see when CO goes live.  Everything else is speculation, as what sounds good on paper may not be good in practice.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by VirDan

Originally posted by Sanguinia

So at a time when the common pnp hero games were DCH, MSH, HU, Champions (Hero), GURPS Supers, M&M.... Champions allowed the most complex customization of all the games.  For many folks, the Hero system was just too damn complicated to be any fun when compared to the other systems.

It is kind of sad to see it reduced to Champions Online, which looks dumbed down compared even to the original MSH game.

That CoX continues to improve upon itself with the various issues speaks well of the game over the years.  CO is just a waste of an IP.

Actually, the complexity and level of customization is the "selling point" for the Hero System. You can make characters and play games that you never could in a whiny Vampire game. Hell, there's even more potential for customization than in AD&D! It's a measuring-stick. You must be -- this smart in order to play this game. Not so much about nerd-peen as it is about not wanting a complete moron showing up at a convention table and being dominant with a character named, "Homey The Clown". [Semi-True story]

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• rummblebellyrummblebelly Member Posts: 21

nothing new in the article.Seems to be more of a defensive stance against the not named gorilla in the room..Champions Online. Which after palying COH for years and now planing Champions Online..They have as much in common as they do diffrences

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

This next Issue has definitely grabbed my attention: mission difficulty control. I and my best friend created a hero duo that can overcome any mission on the game that does not rely on firepower - all the content simply got boring, we could win everything too easily! Now we might have to break a sweat for harder missions :)

And the SuperSK will be one of the best ideas implemented in CoX ever - it may well encourage more players to take on the role of leader and form more teams.

Still, I'd like to reinforce that I still see the game as being über repetitive - a little more variety over "get into instace, kill all and/or click the shiny" would be more than appreciated.

• DarkRexxDarkRexx Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Solasau

I don't like contradicting anyone, but here are some pertinent facts:

1) The idea of power customisation was floated a year ago in the Paragon Studios offices, so it's not 'stolen' from CO. And the depth of customisation far outweighs that of CO. CO allows a limited number of emanation points and color tinting. That's all. CoX is offering the brightness, color, tinting and in some cases the animation choices for powers. Emanations aren't there yet, but they may be in i16, noone knows just yet.

This is true, but CoH didn't have any power customization at first release, and CO did. Also keep in mind that CO has the character stance options that can change how they walk. It's limited to only a few now, but we can expect that to change.

2)CO has alternate animations, not necessarily better ones.  Yes, they give you the option to have travel powers at level five, but level 15 in CoH is pretty much the equivalent, and you forget the temporary powers that are the stopgap between them.

The alternate animations aren't necessarily worse, either. As far as level 15 in CoX being the same as being level 5 in CO, I don't remember being level 15 when I left CoX's tutorial zone. The temporary travel powers you mention merely provide limited function, and do nothing to actually let you have the character you thought up when you made it. I'd also like to point out that CO doesn't make you choose between putting powers into a 'travel power set' to unlock them or getting something else you wanted.

3) The stat point system in CO is very open to min/maxing and abuse and is no more complex than CoX's slotting system. All CO characters MUST start with a ranged power, so how is that a more open system? Additionally, CO stamina system is entirely dependent on the attack to charge larger attack cycle, no more or less arbitrary than CoX's stamina system. However, CoX's attacks can lead with the more powerful attack, whereas CO does not give the player this option.

I agree with the stat system being no more complex than the slotting system, but people also min/max slots in CoH. Min/maxing does not equal abuse. As far as CO characters MUST having a range power, I don't remember my Might character having a ranged attack for a long time, aside from picking up cars and throwing them, and he was a good character too. However, each of the origins in CoX has a temporary power that's a ranged attack that is forced upon you. As far as being able to lead with the powerful attack, it depends on how high your CO's Equilibrium is and how much you decide to power up or maintain that powerful attack, which I don't think any CoX powers allow you to do.

4) You're right, CO does have destructible objects and terrain....which originated in CoX. It's vastly unfair to make the comparison to a game that is older and would have to rewrite significant game code to make the environment interactive.

Why is it unfair? If the destructible object mechanics in one game are better than another, then that's fact. Before an argument over which game has better ones, here's a rundown: CoX has objects in some instances that, if you hit them, will break eventually. CO has objects everywhere that you can break, pick up, and use as a melee weapon or ranged weapon. What you're saying basically amount to this conversation:

"Hey, we took the Old Thing and made it Better!"

"Woah, there! The Old Thing did that first! It's not as good, but we should use it because the Old Thing has been here longer!"

CO has as many limitations, marginally better graphics with more requirements, less variety in customisation, and a DIFFERENT gameplay style than CoX.  Your 'examples' are somewhat biased.

As many limitations? If you mean on character creation, then that's wrong, simply from power choice alone. As far as "marginally" better graphics, all you have to do is look at the character models. The hands aren't perpetually fused lumps, when I hit a character in melee, his jaw waggles from the blow, and all of the terrain and zones are different and unique (as opposed to city, office, cave, city, office, cave "Oh the Hollows are kinda neat" city, office cave). CO is different from CoX, but that doesn't make it worse.  

EDIT: I'd like to point out that I also am exited for issue 16, and I hope it does something about the AE problem.