Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCsoft bans EU countries from AION EU. UPDATED.

Comments

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

IP blocks are sad, I can already see it happening around here considering how big Aion will be, worst thing that could happen is to be forced into a spanish-speaking server because they may think spanish and portuguese are the same language -_-

• ChaosasChaosas Member Posts: 129

Regarding the "licensing laws" the GM mentioned in his reply: it merely means that the rights to distribute Aion in the Baltic region were already sold to Innova, which will be distributing the Russian version there. As such, NCSoft can't also distribute the EU version due to licensing laws. What this means is that it was NCSoft's decision entirely to give the rights of distribution to Innova, and not a problem due to some local laws or whatnot.

Regarding the center of Europe: Lithuania is the geographical center of Europe by some measurement methods. So is Austria, Hungary, Germany, and a bunch of other countries. It all depends whether they include remote islands into calculations, or the European part of Russia, and so on and on. Wikipedia has more info on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_centre_of_Europe

In other words, it's not wrong to say that Lithuania is the geographical center of Europe, but of course it does not mean anything whatsoever. So is Austria, Germany, Slovakia, etc. What is much more important is not the geography but the politics, and the Baltic states being the members of European Union.

Don't worry - no Lithuanian actually believes that we're the "real" center of Europe. Everyone knows the Baltic region and the entire Eastern Europe is behind the Western and Central Europe in terms of living standards and development - a direct result of 50 year long occupation by the USSR, I might add.

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266

Political issues aside, its a game and in my opinion (barring legal issues) I see no reason why you would prevent any person playing your game so long as they where paying the agreed upon fee. Since most other MMOs manage to do it to include AoC which is the one most likely to run into legal issues I am left wondering why NC or any dev/publisher would refuse the player. I can understand why they may not want to some 3rd party to take the lead on publishing and perhaps that is part of the problem (if they cant publish them selves, and wont release to 3rd party).

Now before I go any further with the topic I will say that I have not heard any thing about this beyond this post, can some one direct me to the press release or other document detailing the situation? I'm simply curious what the reason/excuse is as it is rather odd to refuse to take some ones money with out reason . . . I'll gladly take your money so long as its legal :) I don't really care where you are.

Originally posted by LodenDSG

Now before I go any further with the topic I will say that I have not heard any thing about this beyond this post, can some one direct me to the press release or other document detailing the situation? .

Actually, this is the worst part. There were no official announcements, no warnings not to buy the EU version since we won't be able to play it, no anything.

Personally I found out by going to the NCSoft store ready to buy Aion and seeing an empty page on the "Aion" tab. Sure enough, loading the same page via UK proxy I was able to see the game. Got a similar problem trying to buy from DLGamer: it said region Lithuania is not supported, or something along those lines. After contacting support about this "problem" I was told, quote: "Currently due to licensing laws, players in Lithuania will not be able to create a European Aion account". In other words, they sold the rights to distribute Aion in Lithuania to Innova, and as such cannot sell the EU version there.

I am not 100% sure about IP blocking yet. There are strong indications that we will be blocked though: apparently there were IP blocks during several closed beta tests, and some officials replied to our questions saying that Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia will be blocked from playing Aion EU starting September 20th.

Also apparently a representative of a popular Lithuanian gaming site games.lt contacted NCSoft's PR manager Christian Vestol who said the following:

In the case of Lithuania the license is indeed with Innova and this would in effect mean that players from Lithuanian IP’s won’t be able to connect and play on our subscription based European servers.

And here you can read his (the games.lt representative's) open letter to NCSoft:

http://artojas.blogas.lt/open-letter-to-ncsoft-please-allow-europeans-to-european-servers-of-aion-903.html

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

EU might have some words here...

This would be like a game releasing in NA, but Texas is excluded due to licensing to a Mexican publisher.

How happy would the texans be?

imageThe last of the Trackers

• AthkoreAthkore Member Posts: 55

I see some posts here about people trying to protest on other sites and try to change things but it just won't happen. Its a LICENSING issue. It won't change any time soon. Innova in Russia has the license though. You are just wasting your time :).

Originally posted by Athkore

I see some posts here about people trying to protest on other sites and try to change things but it just won't happen. Its a LICENSING issue. It won't change any time soon. Innova in Russia has the license though. You are just wasting your time :).

Some people have lost money though. Think about it. It's ridiculous that European countries, and members of European Union of all things, would be IP-blocked from playing on Aion EU servers. People who bought or preordered Aion from places such as Steam, D2D, Game.co.uk or whatever had no idea this would happen and now they're stuck with a copy of the game they won't be able to play.

• thecakelordthecakelord Member Posts: 10

in soviet russia game plays you

pizza sauce... everywhere

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

:( I cant play with my cousin in turkey

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

:( I cant play with my cousin in turkey

I'm inquiring about this.

I live in Turkey and initially I'd had problems with activating my Aion account using the serial code bought from an EU online vendor... But right now the issue seems to be fixed: I can play on EU preview sessions so there's no IP lock as of now... Though of course launch may be a whole other matter. 

So I mailed NCSoft support, inquiring about the issue. Let's see what they're going to say about it. 

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914
    Originally posted by wolfmann

EU might have some words here...

This would be like a game releasing in NA, but Texas is excluded due to licensing to a Mexican publisher.
    How happy would the texans be?

Hehe that would be funny.

But yes, that is the PERFECT analogy.

The only problem is that currently, EU law still permits localized license agreements. ( There are plans to add legislation to change this, but it is part of a package, and the other parts are not so well thought out and have heavy opposition. )

However, if the laws eventually get thru, then ALL license agreements will have to get revised.

Either way, it is completely NCSoft's fault, and I for one am boycotting Aion over this.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by inkvizitoris
    Lithuania got same laws and rules as all EU coutries....

Well, the rest of EU doesn't have identical legislation. For instance, Denmark has laws that prevent free prizes or additional incentives to keep subscribing which impacts quite a few MMOs. On the other hand, Denmark also has laws stating that if you get your account banned the offending company must compensate the consumer for the full subscription paid up until that point unless the ban is based on the consumer breaking domestic law (threatening with violence, identity theft and similar).

Germany doesn't have these laws although they on the other hand have very strict laws concerning content (suggestive elements are looked on especially hard).

I don't know the law in the Baltic countries but if NCSoft states it's down to licensing issues it might be worth it to look at your domestic laws governing the area of online gaming, subscription services governed by foreign corporations, and consumer rights protection.

Originally posted by Athkore

Once EU law gets thru and localized license agreements are forbidden, then they will have to fix it. It will then be no Aion in EU or Aion in the WHOLE EU. ( Just like it is in the US now ).

I for one, hope this will get changed sooner rather than later.

And I may not be able to change things now, but I can surely protest and not buy Aion.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Turkey shouldn't be on the European server imho, a lot of them resist to be called Europeans, they even insisted on Turkey getting removed from the Euro (the coins have a small map of Europe on it). The Baltic states and Croatia should be allowed to play on the European server though. I'm sure that if you can find enough people to agree with you (/us), NCsoft Europe should reconsider their opinion. ;)

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

Originally posted by nitefly

Well, the rest of EU doesn't have identical legislation. For instance, Denmark has laws that prevent free prizes or additional incentives to keep subscribing which impacts quite a few MMOs. On the other hand, Denmark also has laws stating that if you get your account banned the offending company must compensate the consumer for the full subscription paid up until that point unless the ban is based on the consumer breaking domestic law (threatening with violence, identity theft and similar).

Germany doesn't have these laws although they on the other hand have very strict laws concerning content (suggestive elements are looked on especially hard).

I don't know the law in the Baltic countries but if NCSoft states it's down to licensing issues it might be worth it to look at your domestic laws governing the area of online gaming, subscription services governed by foreign corporations, and consumer rights protection.

It has nothing to do with local law, it does not matter who publishes the game, local law will still apply.

I tell you what happened : they sold Aion to a Russian publisher, that Russian publisher said, "I wan't the rigths for those countries as well", NCsoft agreed.

NCSofts fault, plain and simple.

Originally posted by nitefly

Like I said before, I'm pretty much positive that the "licensing issue" they mentioned is nothing more but the fact that the rights to distribute Aion in the Baltic region were given to Innova. In other words, it's fully NCSoft's decision and not a problem due to local laws.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

You should look at the EU, not Europe. If it due to local laws, the continent has nothing to do with it. Only the EU has some influence in that. And the Baltic states only joined recently, Turkey and Croatia are still on the waiting list to get in, so that makes perfect sense. If I were you, I'd try to look up if the Baltic states resisted some of the EU's laws, or if they are still considering them, because that's likely to be the problem.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

Originally posted by erandur

You should look at the EU, not Europe. If it due to local laws, the continent has nothing to do with it. Only the EU has some influence in that. And the Baltic states only joined recently, Turkey and Croatia are still on the waiting list to get in, so that makes perfect sense. If I were you, I'd try to look up if the Baltic states resisted some of the EU's laws, or if they are still considering them, because that's likely to be the problem.

Please do some research on the topic.

1. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania joined the EU in 2004, thats 5 years now, long enough for me to know they are EU countries, but not long enough it seems for NCSoft.

2. They joined the EU, which means their laws consist of the following : EU law, which superseeds all local law, no if's or but's. Local law, only applicable if it does not confilct with EU law.

More than 80% of all the law in all EU countries is EU law ( which leaves 20% local law ).

3. Turkey and Croatia are not EU members, so yes, leave them out of the discussion for now.

But even that is all besides the point, because it is currently ALLOWED in the EU to have localized license agreements. Meaning, you can have 1 arrangement for 1 EU member  ( for example Germany ) and a different arrangement for another EU member ( for example France ). But it is completely moronic to do such a thing, especially if you create language problems and cultural problems, as is the case.

Now even tho the countries in question would still be unhappy with all this, I am sure they could live with it, if they could buy the EU version. But they won't be able, because IP blocks will be in place. That is just disgusting. And if all of this goes live, I do not wan't have anything to do with Aion nor NCSoft anymore.

I don't know what else to say Cyberwiz, except that you are pretty darn awesome. Appreciate the support :)

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by thecakelord

in soviet russia game plays you

lol family guy ftw

• Baine5Baine5 Member Posts: 30

Finally got official response from GM

Hey there,

Croatia will indeed be included in the EU server.

It is Lithuania that will not. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Kind regards,

GM Ricardo

NCsoft Customer Support

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

NCsoft is only looking from a business pov on this issue as they should.

If they go by the logic of "Some kids don`t like to play on rusian servers because of their racist or political brainwashed believes so we should take this in consideration and don`t mix players from any country that had ever been in conflict with another" they should then let every European country has it`s own servers and nothing else... I mean, why would you let Germans play on servers together with everyone else amirite? Hitler was a nazi fuck you know..make sense to split them from everyone....etc.

You get the point.

How about stop being rasists and try to get along with everyone on your server?

It is a game you know.

That`s what I do and tbh the most drama and smack talk I see on EU servers always comes from EU players, mostly hating on rusians or just being jealous of them for being very organized and dominating their PVP server (AoC Fury server for example).

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Benjola

If they go by the logic of "Some kids don`t like to play on rusian servers because of their racist or political brainwashed believes so we should take this in consideration and don`t mix players from any country that had ever been in conflict with another" they should then let every European country has it`s own servers and nothing else... I mean, why would you let Germans play on servers together with everyone else amirite? Hitler was a nazi fuck you know..make sense to split them from everyone....etc.
    You get the point.
    It is a game you know.
    That`s what I do and tbh the most drama and smack talk I see on EU servers always comes from EU players, mostly hating on rusians or just being jealous of them for being very organized and dominating their PVP server (AoC Fury server for example).

"Racism" has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

IP blocking is simply WRONG because it is removing the choice from the players and pigeonholing them into arbitrarily drawn  drawn corporate "regions" that may or may not have any basis in reality and what is most convenient for the paying customers.

For example, tho NCsoft may find it convenient for whatever nefarious economical reasons to put countries like Turkey and Croatia into "russian" zone it is utterly idiotic towards the players. Croatia (and former Yugoslavia) was never a part of the eastern block or Warsaw pact (it was a neutral buffer zone between east and west) and very very few people there know Russian or even had any contact with Russians  - most people in Croatia speak english as their second language. Of all the eastern european countries, even those in the EU, Croatia is probably the one with the LEAST cultural or historical connections to Russia. Turkey is pretty much the same.. but even more so because there's been a centuries old rivalry between Russia and Turkey and during the cold war Turkey was probably the staunchest NATO point defender, right there at the hot southern border. I very sincerely doubt any Turks or Croats would find themselves comfortable on a Russian speaking server - they'd probably hang together, isolated from the rest of the population and speak english between themselves.

As for the Baltic states I really have nothing to say that hasn't been said before.

Imo, the whole IP blocking thing is utter crap. Everybody should be able to choose where they want to play. I don't see why turks living in GB shouldn't be able to play on a Turkish speaking server. Or why shouldn't Russians be allowed to hang out with EU people if they wish to. Or why americans in Moscow shouldn't be able to play with their countrymen. IP blocking is wrong and utterly at odds with the very spirit of the internet.

Originally posted by Benjola

You get the point.
    It is a game you know.

The game being localized in Russian is another big issue. Everything will be translated to Russian, which won't only make the game launch much later  than the EU version but also make a lot of Lithuanians unable to play because they don't know the language.

At any rate, I think you're calling the wrong side "racists". If you'd have ever played with Russians you'd know most of them act like complete @sses towards foreigners, and especially from those countries that split from USSR (we're "nazis" according to them as we left the quest to building the glorious communism). It would also be completely impossible to find a party, for example, or do trading in a game completely dominated by Russians if you don't know Russian language good enough to be able to talk freely.

At any rate, I've heard that there won't be any IP blocks imposed on Russia and a lot of Russians will actually be playing on EU servers since they don't like crappy Innova support either. Which makes me think that GM Ricardo is talking out of his ass. I mean, is there any logic to NCSoft imposing IP bans on only 3 tiny countries?

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

This is in-fact a strange situation.

Contrarily to what the OP said, Lithuania is not in the center of europe, its in eastern europe and has border with belarus, and its very near russia.

The strange fact in all of this is that lithuania is an european union member state and has absolutely no connections to russia, at least in politics, and for what ive been able to learn their official language is lithuanian. Even if the cultures are similar, and this i do not know, there are no other connections, so Its absolutely ridiculous that they make this people play a game version that has nothing to do with them whatsoever, and separates them from the rest of the european union where they belong. The same things applys to croatia and the other 2 countrys. Not gonna mention turkey because here there may be licensing problems since this is a country that stands in a strange position, even if it is europe its considered middle east by all its cultural and politic system

I sincerely hope that NCSoft dedicates more attention to this issue and try to solve it, because it is simply unfare for this countrys.