Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

crafting

HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Ok before I waste time doing it...does it serve a purpose in this game or is it like most and it is just a way for you to waste time in the game.  If it is useful which professions are the most useful? 

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Yes, its useful. It makes the best armor, weapons, and food in the game outside of the raids.

It also provides you with items for housing.

Pretty much all of them are good. The only one that could be considered kind of useless is carpenter (items for housing), but it IS fun.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Housing items are not useless. People in EQ2 love to decorate their houses,. Plus, the housing items reduce the status cost of the house. The big downside of Carpentry is that you only get a few new items to make per level, where sages and alchemists get dozens of new recipes.

in general though, everyone will tell you that don't start crafting unless you really enjoy it. It's not going to make you rich, and lower level stuff doesn't sell well. The game has been around a long time now, and there are plenty of crafters out there saturating the market. You can still make money, but you will have to deal with (very) rare components,  which can be costly, so you can't produce and sell large quantities. Higher level stuff sells better.  lower level stuff may not sell at all.

Provisioner is a good choice. Everyone needs food and drink. Once you get to the medium levels everyone is using player crafted food and drink, and it's the only trade where rares are not required.

Carpentry makes the housing items, rugs, beds, tables, chairs, artwork, etc...

The rest are pretty self explanetory.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I know thats what carpentry does. I have a carpenter and I'm quite enjoying making things for my house. But you have to admit its more useless than the others because it isn't really a necessity. Unless you're a moron, you're going to buy player things like armor and weapons off the broker.

Rare's are only costly if you're too lazy to go out and harvest them yourself.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Moirae

I know thats what carpentry does. I have a carpenter and I'm quite enjoying making things for my house. But you have to admit its more useless than the others because it isn't really a necessity. Unless you're a moron, you're going to buy player things like armor and weapons off the broker.

Rare's are only costly if you're too lazy to go out and harvest them yourself.

I wasn't explaining to you what carpentry does, that was for the OP.  I was just disagreeing with you that it's useless.  You can't have more useless or less useless. Something is useless, or it is not.  I am saying that it is not.  Yes, people buy armor and weapons on the broker. They also buy spells, combat arts, and yes, house items.  People buy items to decorate, but more importantly they buy them to reduce the status cost of their house.  That is not useless.  It may vary from server to server, but there are a ton of crafters, and the competition on my server  is fierce, so selling prices are greatly reduced.  There is a need for housing items and the market is less saturated by carpenters than they other trade skills, so I generally make more money per item than I do with other trades, and rely less on rares.  Plus people generally buy more of a specific item. They will only ever buy one of a specific spell or armor piece, but buy 4 chairs.  The one caveat is, as I mentioned, that you only get a few new recipes per level which makes it easier to saturate the market for a specific item, and you get fewer XP bonuses.  On the upside though, people typically buy more than one of a specific item.  I am not saying carpentry is better than other trade skills. I am saying that it is not useless and the items are in fact needed for status reduction and wanted for decoration in general.

Your comment about rares, however, is ridiculous.  It has nothing to do with being lazy or not. Rares are called rares for a reason.  The first couple of tiers are not so bad, but mid and high level tiers are very rare.  You could spend 8 hours dedicated to harvesting and only get 1 of the rares you need.  Then you would have to decide what one item that you are going to make with that one rare, and hope it sells.  That's not practical for a steady business.   You either need to buy the rares and make items that you know will sell for more than you paid for the rare, or do what many crafters do and only make the items on demand and have the customer supply the rare.  I mentioned provisioning because it does not require rares and the items are consumable so there will always be a need. There is still a lot of competition, but you don't have the time and overhead that you do with other trades.

To the OP, none of the trade skills are useless. However,I will stick to my original comment that, at this point, you should only bother crafting if you really like it.  Do not go into it hoping to make tons of money.  The game has been out for many years and there are already tons of crafters out there saturating the market.  Your mileage may vary if you are on a different server, so that is something that everyone needs to determine for themselves.