Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Class Revealed: Sith Warrior!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We've seen glimpses of this guy already in the various videos that have shown up since E3, but now we can finally put a name to the ruthless badass: he is the Sith Warrior. According to a reveal interview with BioWare's James Ohlen over at GameSpot, the Sith Warrior will function as a frontline fighter, focusing purely on martial combat.

Players who select the  Sith Warrior will be able to tailor their character as a purely offensive character that is able of cutting a swath through a whole room of enemies, or is also able to strike a balance between offense and defense and take down the bigger foes. In laymans terms, he'll be able to specialize in area of effect or single target damage, basically. From the interview, it also sounds like he will be able to tank as well, so he's beginning to sound quite similar to the "Sith Marauder" class I speculated on as a possible class in a recent editorial:

GS: Given the heavy armor, lightsaber abilities, and Force powers, how would you characterize the class in the parlance of what people expect from massively multiplayer characters? What kind of player will be most attracted to playing this profession?

JO: Players who enjoy being in front of the fight and deflecting enemy attacks will enjoy the Sith Warrior, as well as those who prefer dishing out loads of damage. I know those are two very different roles, but there are certain choices that a Sith Warrior can make that will specialize him in one form of combat over the other. We'll be talking more about that in the future.

In combat, the Sith Warrior will also build up rage, which he then uses on what BioWare is calling "spender" attacks. An example that was provided is the ability Impale. Impale can instantly kill a foe, or do an extreme amount of damage, so it would make more sense to use it on a fresh target, as opposed to a weakened one.

The class shares its roots with Darth Vader for inspiration, and will utilize iconic powers such as Force choke, as well as wear armor.

You'll be able to make moral choices as a Sith Warrior, too. While the class is certainly ruthless, you don't always have to be. For example, you could be ordered by your master to kill someone, and instead have them go off world and never return, in exchange for their life. While it doesn't appear you will be able to rescue cats from trees, or save the homeless, you should be able to hold back when you feel it is necessary.

For the full Sith Warrior reveal interview, head over to GameSpot.

Comments

• TrunkosoTrunkoso Member Posts: 20

i hope those screenshoots are a joke, wii graphics

• DarkbleachDarkbleach Member Posts: 40

#1 Not a true mmo.

#2 The graphics pretty much suck at this point.

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426

I thought they said they shrunk the lightsabers.  Dear God.  If I wanted to play a Star Wars game that didn't take itself seriously I'd just play SWG.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

• StuBidasoeStuBidasoe Member Posts: 108

Interesting...rage based attacks and tanking abilities.  Doesn't sound too far off the script as far as gameplay of other certain classes.  Not sure if it's a good or a bad thing, yet. 

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346

Apparently you boys don't know about stylistic realism.  As a former art student, I can say that I like the style of graphics that are being shown.  As long as it plays smooth and has all the other parts an MMO has, it will be great.  It's already a sure thing that the story will be great, Bioware doesn't make second-hand storylines. 

Make no mistake about it, this will be an MMO, it will be Star Wars, it will have great stories and it will be big.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

A. that picture has no lightsaber in it, that thing in the back is a sword being held by an npc. B. Yes they shrank the lightsabers.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

As long as casuals aren't treated like second class gamers, I'll love this game.  If hardcores are turned off by this game, then all the better.  Give me a role play experience, with meaningful progression for EVERY play style and with emphasis on story and exploration then I will be a happy camper.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

"Darth Vader is the most famous example of a Sith wearing armor. While Vader's armor was really a life support suit, we felt that wearing armor was an iconic part of the class, especially if we were going to [emulate] Vader."

Ah...yeah. How ICONIC, and STAR-WARSY!

First off, this is the Old Republic, right?? So why do they keep making classes modeled around EP 1-6 characters??

IE: the "Sith Warrior" is modeled after Vader. The Smuggler is modeled after Solo.

I know why....they want to make sure that people get that iconic, Star-Warsy feel that they've been trying so hard to convey...and we all kno that can't be done without playing a pre-defined role, modeled after a pre-established character, right?

/vomit

I'm suprised they just don't expect you to play one of several pre-made characters, so they can control EVERY aspect of the game, while you progress on rails toward your iconic destiny.

This is NOT an MMORPG.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Kylrathin

I thought they said they shrunk the lightsabers.  Dear God.  If I wanted to play a Star Wars game that didn't take itself seriously I'd just play SWG.

They did. That's an old screen shot, one of the first from last year.

edit check out the Sith hilts

image.com.com/gamespot/images/2009/229/reviews/951199_20090818_790screen005.jpg

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

"Darth Vader is the most famous example of a Sith wearing armor. While Vader's armor was really a life support suit, we felt that wearing armor was an iconic part of the class, especially if we were going to [emulate] Vader."
    First off, this is the Old Republic, right?? So why do they keep making classes modeled around EP 1-6 characters??
    IE: the "Sith Warrior" is modeled after Vader. The Smuggler is modeled after Solo.
    I know why....they want to make sure that people get that iconic, Star-Warsy feel that they've been trying so hard to convey...and we all kno that can't be done without playing a pre-defined role, modeled after a pre-established character, right?
    /vomit
    I'm suprised they just don't expect you to play one of several pre-made characters, so they can control EVERY aspect of the game, while you progress on rails toward your iconic destiny.
    This is NOT an MMORPG.

I'm glad you played this game enough to share your knowledge and enlighten the rest of us on how this game will play. And really, who the hell made you the authority on what the definition of an MMO is? You’re welcome to your opinion of course, just like the rest of us are welcome to ignore your cynicism and off kilter speculation.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

/vomit
    This is NOT an MMORPG.

It's hard to get more wrong than this post. I'm amazed.

The person obviously loved the broken SW:G system of "Template of the Month", "Macros R us", "Lets distribute random piles of NPC's everywhere across a landscape", and "Lets clog that landscape with empty player made cities!"

SW:G felt NOTHING like star wars. It felt like the incomplete game it was after beta.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

/vomit
    This is NOT an MMORPG.

Emo rage. Oooh, feel the burn!

Why do you even bother reading here? Go have your tantrums somewhere else.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I must have missed something. In what world is this game NOT an MMO, and why?

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

/vomit
    This is NOT an MMORPG.

Well, I guess you would try and make us believe that Darth Vader was the first Sith Warrior to ever exist and certainly the first one to wear armor.  The Sith Empire is tens of thousands of years old, I'm sure there were all kinds of Darths before Vader and I'm sure some of them could have possibly worn armor just for the hell of it.  It's iconic for the Star Wars Universe, not just episodes 1 -6.  Smugglers existed before Solo as did Bounty Hunters before Boba Fett.

I don't know why you keep harping on a game you obviously don't like.  We got it the first few hundred posts, maybe it's time you moved on and left us in peace.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

/vomit
    This is NOT an MMORPG.

While you "vomit" and cry like a little 10 year old over a game you would of never played to begin with, the majority of us gamers will be playing a great game based on some of the best Science fiction lore there is.  If you can't handle the fact that they need to use vader and other figures from the movies as a base template for classes, then I feel sorry for you.

The game is going to be great. It obviously will not be for everyone, including you.  too bad..

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Not going to lie, this sounds kind of lame. The art still looks terrible too.

All we need now is info on the Republic Mage and we will be set!

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Go look up some more recent footage, and then complain. The "art" isn't terrible It's ART. maybe you should look up that three letter word before saying it's terrible.

But hey you guys could always go back to SWG, right? :)

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

It's not official until it's here.

Originally posted by pandrax

Go look up some more recent footage, and then complain. The "art" isn't terrible It's ART. maybe you should look up that three letter word before saying it's terrible.

Oh right, I forgot that labeling something as "Art" makes it immune to opinions. My mistake.

I think the ART looks terrible. What is confusing about that?

Oh right, I forgot that labeling something as "Art" makes it immune to opinions. My mistake.

There is a difference between stating your opinion, and then stating your opinion as fact. Gotta love the SWG crybabies. Anything Starwars and all they can do is weep sorrowful tears.

~ ~

There is a difference between stating your opinion, and then stating your opinion as fact. Gotta love the SWG crybabies. Anything Starwars and all they can do is weep sorrowful tears.

How dumb do you have to be to not understand that "The art still looks terrible" is an opinion? It's pretty safe to say that any comment about art is an opinion.

You seem to be the only one crying here because I said something negative about this game.

• PipodeMoleasPipodeMoleas Member Posts: 44

Imagine if they trashed the Star Trek IP  they way Lucas trashed the Star Wars IP then you will understand, all it cries for is 10 year old kiddies instead of the generation that grew up on it. Star Wars Galaxies I loved because of the sandbox feel and I could do anything I want. SWTOR is just a theme part with cartooney graphics from the CTN series of w/e that shit is now.

• PipodeMoleasPipodeMoleas Member Posts: 44

What you don't understand is this IS the game they WANTED to turn SWG into, but failed because they lost all their subs. I refuse to play anything modeled after the NGE. Sandbox only. If they put all their resources into fixing Pre-CU SWTOR wouldn't be here to day but Lucas got greedy and SOE wanted a WoW Clone.

Originally posted by PipodeMoleas

Imagine if they trashed the Star Trek IP  they way Lucas trashed the Star Wars IP then you will understand, all it cries for is 10 year old kiddies instead of the generation that grew up on it. Star Wars Galaxies I loved because of the sandbox feel and I could do anything I want. SWTOR is just a theme part with cartooney graphics from the CTN series of w/e that shit is now.

The art doesn't look anything like that terrible show on Cartoon network. As for the game itself, Sandboxing is great, but it doesn't appeal to most people. Star wars has a massive fanbase and the majority have never played a MMO, and probably doesn't have a clue as to what a sandbox MMO is.  

For the record, Star trek got trashed pretty bad (if you ever bothered to watch the 50 other spin off tv series). Star wars is great, and will continue to be great.  In the end it's lore will always be owned by Lucas, and he has the right to form and shape it as he sees fit. If you can't respect that, then you should just move on with your life. Just remember you have every right not to like the changes to star wars and it's lore, but for every one person like you there will be 50 others who completely disagree with how you feel.

~ ~

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by PipodeMoleas

You grew up on the original Star Trek? Originally aired from '66 to '69 (yes, I had to look it up)?

You don't think Deep Space Nine was trash? How about Enterprise?

I played SWG pre-cu too, and I enjoyed it a lot. But it's gone and it's not coming back. So what does that have to do with this game? Oh, right, you've already played it and know all there is to know about it?

Even if you're correct, so what? It's just a game, made for enjoyment. It's not a virtual world for you to escape from your obviously tortured and pathetic life. The world does not exist (and not virtually, either) in order to please you and your ilk. The world simply exists, it's up to you find your joy within it. If you can't, then you lose at the biggest game of them all.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.