Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Assassin low dps?

olimassoolimasso Springfield, VTPosts: 18Member

I have played my assassin to lvl 15...frankly I was expecting them to do way more damage than this. Killing mobs requires me to do everything perfectly if I don't want to lose half of my HP. My rotation is fine IMO...I've been using dual daggers, should I use dual swords or a sword and a dagger? Or do Assassins get their true power later in the game? I'd love it if someone could enlighten me, thx :P

Comments

  • YamiOfHellYamiOfHell Fresh Meadows, NYPosts: 48Member

    a lot of assassins go with a sword and a dagger. the dagger for extra crits and attack speed and the sword for more damage. im not sure how this works out tho... also u get new skills at 16 so dont worry. given good equips, at level 25 u can be critting 2k+.

    also, if u compare assassin's damage to rangers damage at 15, its completely one sided. rangers arnt even reccommended to use bows till 16 or 18.

  • Fir3lineFir3line LisbonPosts: 767Member

    play an assassin to 30, and then edit this thread

    "I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

  • FastTxFastTx PTBO, ONPosts: 756Member

    I played an Assassin to 30 in Closed Beta. Assassin's have high burst damage. They increasingly get better in the 20's.

  • PyrostasisPyrostasis dallas, TXPosts: 2,326Member
    Originally posted by olimasso


    I have played my assassin to lvl 15...frankly I was expecting them to do way more damage than this. Killing mobs requires me to do everything perfectly if I don't want to lose half of my HP. My rotation is fine IMO...I've been using dual daggers, should I use dual swords or a sword and a dagger? Or do Assassins get their true power later in the game? I'd love it if someone could enlighten me, thx :P

     

    I used swords and didnt have an issue. However, assasins to me are a bit more complicated than wow's version. More like DAOC's. Positionals are key as well as reactives. For instance, engaging the target, with your normal melee, then when your reactive comes up, stun them with it, walk through while blowing your dps increase and increased crit, then back stab.

    Thats the easy version, there are of course a lot more complicated methods later on as more things unlock, but its not going to be an easy class... more of a very reactive and attentive class.

  • olimassoolimasso Springfield, VTPosts: 18Member

    I see, so you guys are saying they bloom later in the game? Thats great, and yea as you may have noticed I'm not what you could call "very patient"

  • DevilXaphanDevilXaphan n/a, LAPosts: 1,144Member

    At lower levels the assassin'd dps isn't much until they hit lvl 23 then it jumps again at lvl 30.

    We must suffer early in the game to be pain in the butts later.

    image
  • olimassoolimasso Springfield, VTPosts: 18Member
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

    Originally posted by olimasso


    I have played my assassin to lvl 15...frankly I was expecting them to do way more damage than this. Killing mobs requires me to do everything perfectly if I don't want to lose half of my HP. My rotation is fine IMO...I've been using dual daggers, should I use dual swords or a sword and a dagger? Or do Assassins get their true power later in the game? I'd love it if someone could enlighten me, thx :P

     

    I used swords and didnt have an issue. However, assasins to me are a bit more complicated than wow's version. More like DAOC's. Positionals are key as well as reactives. For instance, engaging the target, with your normal melee, then when your reactive comes up, stun them with it, walk through while blowing your dps increase and increased crit, then back stab.

    Thats the easy version, there are of course a lot more complicated methods later on as more things unlock, but its not going to be an easy class... more of a very reactive and attentive class.



     

    Well my rotation on a monsters thats NOT pre-emptive to attack would be -----       Dmg buffs ---> Surprise Attack -----> Swift edge and soul slash ----> Evasion buff -------> Engrave signet   -------->Counterslash

     

    Rine and repeat...if I have time before my swirft edge I use Dash....and I engrave two signets before bursting them

  • VoltlivesVoltlives Nope, AKPosts: 280Member

    I've spend most of my play time on an Assassin.  It is burt dps on the opening and then respectable with the right chain of attacks.  They really shine when somone else is pissing them off though, will enjoy seeing how they progress once the game comes out for consistant play.

     

    END OF LINE_

    ~V

  • kamenwatikamenwati San Antonio, TXPosts: 168Member

    It's a shame you stopped at 15. At 16 you get another signet ability that helps your stunning abilities. Also, it seems the ideal combo is dagger/sword or dagger/dagger. At the moment, it appears crit is based entirely off of your main hand, so unless your sword is just way better, put a dagger in your main hand.

  • kramsterkramster SouthamptonPosts: 93Member Uncommon

    All classes have similar problems until late teens early 20's.

    The rangers are pretyy much better off using melee pre late teens or at least a combination. Later they hardly ever need the swords.

    I think the generic answer to all classes is they grow as they should getting more powerful and complex as time progresses.

    Patience is the key IMO

  • vardarvardar Windsor, ONPosts: 282Member

    so basically, the scout classes (assassins & rangers), bloom later on, but in the early levels its kinda tough? But as they progress in lvls, there damage will get better?

  • kramsterkramster SouthamptonPosts: 93Member Uncommon

    They definately get more control, damage increases but so does the toughness of mobs and pc's

    Nothing in this game is meant to be one shotted, tactics are required and they vary greatly depending on what you are fighting.

    In my experience, ALL classes start off weaker and get stonger or gain more control as they level not just the scouts

  • Markn12Markn12 St. paul, MNPosts: 222Member

    Until you hit the crit soft cap go dagger dagger but once you hit that cap sword sword for more damage because more crit wont help as much.   You wont notice much dps until 22-25 then it explodes and you become your class aruond 25-30.

  • EthianEthian Montreal, QCPosts: 1,216Member

    Thanks for the info all. I noticed the same thing on my 13ish sin. Good to know they grow into beasts. :-) Anyone have info about stealth cooldowns in the later levels? Are we able to stay in stealth for longer with a shorter cooldown?

    "I play Tera for the gameplay"

  • //\//\oo//\//\oo MalboroughPosts: 2,767Member

    Are you serious? I mean.. if you have played other classes, then you would see that killing mobs in aion is a very arduous task compared to other games; sorcs have to nearly replenish their mana on every second mob, even with top efficiency and gladiators get down to half health while taking much longer to kill the enemy (at those lvls). Assassins have the highest DPS and if you were having trouble, then you either weren't having trouble at all (you weren't used to mobs being that difficult), or you weren't playing the class effectively.

     Footnote: If you weren't a beast with the assassin at level 13 in terms of dps, then you will never be.

     

    This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

  • nomrawnomraw bangalorePosts: 146Member
    Originally posted by //\//\oo


    Are you serious? I mean.. if you have played other classes, then you would see that killing mobs in aion is a very arduous task compared to other games; sorcs have to nearly replenish their mana on every second mob, even with top efficiency and gladiators get down to half health while taking much longer to kill the enemy (at those lvls). Assassins have the highest DPS and if you were having trouble, then you either weren't having trouble at all (you weren't used to mobs being that difficult), or you weren't playing the class effectively.
     Footnote: If you weren't a beast with the assassin at level 13 in terms of dps, then you will never be.
     



     

    Err....I've played this game till around level 16 with my Sorcerer....and level 12 Assassin ...I doubt if the Sins get any REAL DPS skills till around 20+ ....till then its the Sorcerer and Spiritmaster :)

  • SigilaeaSigilaea northport, ALPosts: 317Member

    I played an Assassin to 10 using dagger/sword combo. And in that small amount of time I noticed that I killed mobs MUCH faster than the gladiator and priest I had. Sometimes I killed mobs so fast I had to wait for my cooldowns before plugging the next one. Maybe it's gear?

  • FortencFortenc Vancouver, BCPosts: 427Member

    The funny thing about the original poster is that he got to level 15 and level 16 is where you get your good engravings and assassins become really fun and quite powerful.

     

    I played mine to 19 but 16 is where I stopped feeling underpowered and felt like I had a choice in abilities.

    Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

  • Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Mount Vernon, WAPosts: 185Member

    Assassins have huge burst dps at least later on.  They aren't the perfect soloers though because of they're thin armor.  Later on you'll find yourself wanted in pve groups as well as pvp.  Awsome all round ganker as well.  At 45 you get a stealth that last 5 minutes with a much shorter cooldown meaning you could concievably stay mostly stealthed.   If your wanting soloability pve wise rangers are a bit better(past 19) but rangers will rarely out dps a dagger in the long run though they might in the short run.  I would keep in mind that in 1.5(the patch the game will be released with) the dagger is slightly nerfed mainly because at max level there was very little anyone could do anything to defend oneself against them.  They still are the highest damaging mele dps and still are extremely competitive.  Yet your victims will have a bit better chance to fight back.  Play the playstyle you wish there isn't really a throw away class in this game.

  • PieRadPieRad Odense MPosts: 1,108Member
    Originally posted by Nhoj1983


    Assassins have huge burst dps at least later on.  They aren't the perfect soloers though because of they're thin armor.  Later on you'll find yourself wanted in pve groups as well as pvp.  Awsome all round ganker as well.  At 45 you get a stealth that last 5 minutes with a much shorter cooldown meaning you could concievably stay mostly stealthed.   If your wanting soloability pve wise rangers are a bit better(past 19) but rangers will rarely out dps a dagger in the long run though they might in the short run.  I would keep in mind that in 1.5(the patch the game will be released with) the dagger is slightly nerfed mainly because at max level there was very little anyone could do anything to defend oneself against them.  They still are the highest damaging mele dps and still are extremely competitive.  Yet your victims will have a bit better chance to fight back.  Play the playstyle you wish there isn't really a throw away class in this game.



     

    Agree with above..

     

    On another note, i played a Ranger to 15... started it too late so i didnt have time for 16..QQ..

    But i used bow from 10-15 lol, mainly cause i just loved the ranger and his bow :P i dont care if its not advised to use it before 16 or higher.. i love bows :D

    image

  • thecakelordthecakelord Raymond, NHPosts: 10Member

    i played a scout to level 10 and did horribe damage, and wasnt going to playa ranger or assassin because of that. Glad to hear it gets better. (well it couldnt get worse lol)

    pizza sauce... everywhere

  • FunkyyFunkyy Funky TownPosts: 1Member

    in my opinion, scouts should play in a party with a high DPS class like mages.

    i know that is not easy to find a party, especially at the beginning but you can try. anyway, an assasin's dmg is melee so its obviously that it wont kill a mob by 2 hits .

    i had a mage < sorcerer lvl 19 and although the dps was high, i still had to do some shots before the mob was killed.

    and btw, if you wanna find out more stuff about the assasin class or maybe other classes check this out: 

    enjoy !

    ____
    image
    image
    image
    Funkyy <3

    image

  • CammyCammy Calgary, ABPosts: 864Member
    Originally posted by Fir3line


    play an assassin to 30, and then edit this thread

     

    This ^^

  • Xyfire1Xyfire1 Belvidere, NJPosts: 128Member

    It's too early to debate dps imo. Wait until game release and people start hitting lvl cap.

    I played a huntard hardcore in WoW.. So, naturally, I want to go ranger. But somehow, it seems I always want to run into the fight. Hence my decked warrior in Guild Wars. I will probably end up being a Cleric with some sort of sick DPS alt. All I know is that my dps class will be some sort of spec into Scout and there will be some hardcore Theorycrafting going on in my vent server :p

Sign In or Register to comment.