Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Open Beta Begins! NDA Lifted!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The NDA for Fallen Earth bas been lifted, according to an announcement made by Circatrix on the official Fallen Earth forums. This announcement has come in alongside the commencement of the Fallen Earth Open Beta, which began yesterday.

The NDA announcement can be found here. To get involved in the Open Beta, head on over to FilePlanet.

Comments

• StratfordStratford Member CommonPosts: 112

I'm a LONG time beta-tester, and I have mixed feeling about FE.  The crafting is brilliant.  The setting and story are brilliant.  The itemization is fantastic.  The world feels unique and exciting.

But the combat doesn't do it for me.  The cross-haired FPS-like combat turns me off.  Why they insisted on making combat for the FPS-twitching console kiddies is beyond me.  Ugh.

The player models and animations need some work, but that's not a deal-breaker.  That can be fixed.  The combat, though, sadly I think that IS a deal-breaker, at least for me.

• theraxtherax Member Posts: 29

"Open" Beta is only open to FilePlanet Subscribers............Boo Hiss

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

They have said their 'public' beta will follow shortly after. I guess small devs just dont have the resources to go free for a few weeks anymore and need to rely on sites like FP to 'help' them.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Stratford

I'm a LONG time beta-tester, and I have mixed feeling about FE.  The crafting is brilliant.  The setting and story are brilliant.  The itemization is fantastic.  The world feels unique and exciting.

But the combat doesn't do it for me.  The cross-haired FPS-like combat turns me off.  Why they insisted on making combat for the FPS-twitching console kiddies is beyond me.  Ugh.

The player models and animations need some work, but that's not a deal-breaker.  That can be fixed.  The combat, though, sadly I think that IS a deal-breaker, at least for me.

Ya you are right, they should of made it auto target and take no aim, so old people can play, lol auto target is lame, about time a mmorpg has the guts for this, tired of all these 2 month boring combat games that takes 1 2 3 4 5 you pressed 5 before the other guy, boom hes dead type of games.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

You obviously haven't played the game... its cross-hair... with a twist. Its a PITA to "aim" at things sometimes, especially if they're really close to you.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I agree with everything save for the Combat.    My thing is I love FPS style combat but I just hate FPS cuz the games really aren't in depth. I get bored of shooting people in like 10 minutes.  I just don't think this game would feel right if the combat was like every other MMO on the market.

I am by far not a  FPS- twitching console kid, im almost 27 I haven't touched my 360 in forever and I own like 2 FPS on my PC that i never play.   Sorry you're not into the combat but I think its sure is a nice break from the normal combat. There have only been a handful of Devs that have tried to do something different, we need more games to try new things.

I like to move in combat and no none of that gay bunnyhop crap, Im sorry but standing in front of a mob is getting boring How long have MMO's been using that kind of combat? im guessing since their beginning. Its time for change, Aion has the right idea, while the combat feels just like every MMO, you actually benefit from moving in combat which rocks.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

This game is NOT as bad as alot of others than came down the crapper recently.That said, its really got no lasting appeal for anyone not rabid or desperate.Too much feels the same,not only from start to finish in the game itself,but from this game to others as well.

Some things it got right(or close enough):

*exploration- Sectors are HUGE,with very possible but risky travel.I found myself remembering times in Asherons Call when i was cross country traveling and pointing out things i found to others who hadnt seen them.

*instance and dungeon entrances-these really make sense alot of the time.From the cave entrances that your character can litterally walk into explore without instancing,to the large dungeons where instancing takes place,its done well.

*Crafting-The real time with offline progress is excellent.And considering how screwed up the economy was,this really shined as you could que up some money makers, and when you logged back on the next day have enough after production and or sales to support your adventuring for that day.

• july19july19 Member Posts: 23

Do not let yourself to be fooled by ppl bad-mouth this game. It´s open beta, try it for yourself. And belive me, you will like it. Yes, the combat is FPS-like, but it is not a clikcing orgy, it is really "calm", compared to a normal FPS. About the crafting system: I always hated to craft in games, and never had a real crafter. It just seemed boring- until Fallen Eart. In this post-apocalyptic atmosphere I can really believe why I have to craft everything for myself, and the system for that is really great and revarding. I have not played this game to the endgame, I´ve quit at lvl 20 just before the beginning of the open beta (I think 40 is currently the max level) so I can explore the whole game as it goes really online- my preorder is already done. 

• TheStarheartTheStarheart Member Posts: 368
    Originally posted by july19

Do not let yourself to be fooled by ppl bad-mouth this game. It´s open beta, try it for yourself. And belive me, you will like it. Yes, the combat is FPS-like, but it is not a clikcing orgy, it is really "calm", compared to a normal FPS. About the crafting system: I always hated to craft in games, and never had a real crafter. It just seemed boring- until Fallen Eart. In this post-apocalyptic atmosphere I can really believe why I have to craft everything for myself, and the system for that is really great and revarding. I have not played this game to the endgame, I´ve quit at lvl 20 just before the beginning of the open beta (I think 40 is currently the max level) so I can explore the whole game as it goes really online- my preorder is already done. 

I would say don't be fooled by anyone. Whether they bad-mouth or do the opposite as you have. Everyone should just try something their interested in for themselves and make a real judgment from there rather than basing it on the "yes" hype or "no" hype.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I've beta'd the game a while and while there's some things I like a lot, there's a lot to not to like at the moment. Some will be fixed over time, yet I don't know if an indy title without much hype can last long enough to overcome the issues.

It was fun to play for the most part, and most of the bugs I put in were fixed eventually (some I can't reproduce to not getting the same quest rewards, etc to tell if they were fixed).

I certainly hope it does well, the people making it seem to care about their game and it is fairly fun.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

FINALLY!  NDA lifted!

ok my thoughts on fallen earth:  its very underdeveloped, it has basic landscape  in a star wars galaxies era way  which is passable for gaming pourposes   but  everything else is quite crude and basic   here is my continuing list of  some of the things they still need to address..

a few things still on my list...

water ditch in monkeytown water is a non interactable mass and its easy to get stuck between the sides of a ditch and the water

travel times overly long need  a (steam train)

costume clothing / clothing toggles

crafting que

radiation barrier defined more obvious,, with rad meter clicker

vehicles need vehicle physics (jumping)

horse population gonna be a problem after release as in 100+ horses standing in oil

repeatable quests not identified

need grenage physics includes the poisons and acids

need shotgun physics not slug

shotgun damage out of wach 410 is the smallest NOT the bigest (12,20,410)

factions are wattery and have no unique contrast.

no player chat channels

no tiered clan bank security

need more player choice in crafting dyeing or other customizations like a blue mororcycle or green berret or spicy chicken (vs normal chicken)

no /follow command

no /drag command

I would have to say even though steam train and shotguns are important to me,, I would have to say the number 1 thing that needs to be addressed is the vehicle physics

TRAVEL:  its not too bad in the begining but later on you spend a overly high amount of yout play time just doing boring travel.

CLOTHING:  they have some GREAT looking  clothing BUT they use a stat clothing system! and have NO costume clothing option or even clothing toggles  so all those cool  road warrior  or babes in sexy clothing are effectivly obsolete by about 5th level  you end up looking like what ever stat clothing your level requires PERIOD! oh and that time you took  designing your charactors face and hair?   hiden under a helmit and gas mask  unless you decide to go without protection there.

VEHICLES = noob bait.  they have NO vehicle physics engine  so they are very boring ground huggers  also absolutely no customization (at least currently)  so no color option or accessories  they all look exactly the same.

GRENADES:  they dont use grenade physics  so you actually have to hit your target with a slow moving grenade or it does absolutely nothing  and even then the targeting is a major fail.

SHOTGUNS  one of my pet peeves   they have the 410 doing more damage than a 12 ga  and also no shotgun physics here either  there using the slug engine   so shotguns are a very poor choice for a combat weapon,, I was very dissapointed when I tried to shoot  animals  bugs  zombies  ect   they were less effective than a regular rifle

factons for the most part are watery and have very little contrast  vista are supose to be tree huggers but a vista player is indistinguishable from a tech player (you would figure that vista would NOT use bikes  and instead use advanced mounts   and also use advanced xbows  but they done)  so most people are either enorcer or tech  because of location  and the importance on guns and gun skills.

there was discussion a few months ago about release and nearly everyone with a brain  sugested the oct-nov  time frame as minimum to be in the release window,, so in short   FAILED earth  is solidly premature  and I sugest   holding off for 6 months to a year  to give them time to finish the game  and get past their AGE OF CONAN phase

oh and players hit the level 45 endgame like it was a brick wall (nothing to do but some crafting or some PVP)

no player creativity in crafting there are dyes  but can only be used if a recipie requires it  so all you can do is craft existing recipies.

oh and the PVP is very boring crude  simplistic  guns and knives brawl  no heavy weapons or explosions  

I hope this gives some of you considering FE  a much clearer picture of actual game play.

not to say all is bad,, they have a very nice crafting system   with very nice clumped resources  (such as copper in a mining quarry or hill side)  and the day nighe cycle is one of the best ive ever seen and very realistic and complex stars   very cool rifle scopes too.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I've been beta testing this title for a few months now, and I have to say, I love everything about the game except for the performance issues.

Instead of optimising the code, they upped the system requirements...in essence, using brute force and hardware to cover up their poor coding.

Granted there have been SOME improvements in performance lately...but nowhere near enough.

THis, more than anything, IMO, might hurt sub numbers for this game.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I've been beta testing this title for a few months now, and I have to say, I love everything about the game except for the performance issues.
    Instead of optimising the code, they upped the system requirements...in essence, using brute force and hardware to cover up their poor coding.
    Granted there have been SOME improvements in performance lately...but nowhere near enough.

its true  im only getting about 11-14 fps when with my computer and this type of engine I should easily be getting 20-30+

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

I want to try this game out before I do any opinions about it but I don't see any Open Beta. This is an open beta, http://dragonica.thqice.com/web/open_beta/

If the general world wide definition of the word Open Beta changed in the last week the it means: An open beta has either an unlimited number of spots (i.e. anyone who wants to can participate) or a very large number of spots in cases where opening it up to everyone is impractical.

( I had to google that) It can also be said that Open Beta are never to be about paying up. This is actually a DF Scam Beta.

I will wait for the actuall Open Beta if they ever do one.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by therax

You only need the "FREE" version of Fileplanet to get into Beta. You do not need the "PAYING" version of Fileplanet to get in.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Originally posted by Flex1

I want to try this game out before I do any opinions about it but I don't see any Open Beta. This is an open beta, http://dragonica.thqice.com/web/open_beta/

If the general world wide definition of the word Open Beta changed in the last week the it means: An open beta has either an unlimited number of spots (i.e. anyone who wants to can participate) or a very large number of spots in cases where opening it up to everyone is impractical.
    ( I had to google that) It can also be said that Open Beta are never to be about paying up. This is actually a DF Scam Beta.

I will wait for the actuall Open Beta if they ever do one.

It IS Open, just register at Fileplanet and you can get the Download.

Originally posted by brenth

its true  im only getting about 11-14 fps when with my computer and this type of engine I should easily be getting 20-30+

Well I just was running around Depot 66 and the lowest I got the framerate to stay consistent was 16.  I was hanging out at different spots and got as high as 41 and averaged around 28 ish.  It could use some more optimization but I keep hearing how horrible it plays and its like a slideshow and I haven't seen that happen yet.  I don't have a super computer either. Just a E8400 AtI 4950 and 4 gigs of ram on xp.

• BioFringeBioFringe Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by kb056

Originally posted by therax

You only need the "FREE" version of Fileplanet to get into Beta. You do not need the "PAYING" version of Fileplanet to get in.

Not by my experience. I've tried numerous times over the past couple of days but it always forces me to choose a price plan or say No Thanks. Being logged into my free account doesn't make any difference. They want me to upgrade to a paying plan or I can't proceed since No Thanks takes me back to the home page.

If anyone has a difference experience I'd love to hear it if it gets me in.

This sentence is false.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Izure

Ya you are right, they should of made it auto target and take no aim, so old people can play, lol auto target is lame, about time a mmorpg has the guts for this, tired of all these 2 month boring combat games that takes 1 2 3 4 5 you pressed 5 before the other guy, boom hes dead type of games.

I'm old and I have no trouble playing at all. Maybe they should make it auto target so all you ADD kiddies will have less to focus on. (see, insults go both ways)

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

so here is a question, if you liked fallout 3 do you think this game is similar in style. just curious. cause it looks cool,and remindes me a bit of fallout3.

Originally posted by cukimunga

Well I just was running around Depot 66 and the lowest I got the framerate to stay consistent was 16.  I was hanging out at different spots and got as high as 41 and averaged around 28 ish.  It could use some more optimization but I keep hearing how horrible it plays and its like a slideshow and I haven't seen that happen yet.  I don't have a super computer either. Just a E8400 AtI 4950 and 4 gigs of ram on xp.

go swing by Embry and let me know how you feel after.

Ill go check it, I figured there had to be some main town that  had more lag then the ones Ive been going to.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I wanted to love this game. I really, really did. I was the biggest fangirl and was completely geeked to get into the beta. Yeah, the lag was HORRIBLE, but I knew it was beta so not docking points for that. It has improved immensly since day 1.

The Good:

CRAFTING: I love real-time crafting. It makes a lot of sense.And big bonus points for giving experience for gathering and crafting.

WORLD: The towns each have their own unique feel, as unique as a  post apocalypse desert can be.

FACTIONS: Having 6 factions is a stroke of conceptual genius. In reality I don't think it is as good as it should be

The Bad:

COMBAT: I knew it was twitch combat going in. I tried my best to deal with it. Melee combat was fine, but if you don't go guns, go home. Melee won't cut it. And if you go rifle, be prepared to die as soon as anything touches you. Why you are more vulnerable to melee with a rifle than a pistol makes NO sense.

FACTIONS: Yes this is  in my good AND bad catergories. You don't choose a faction until tier 2, about level 15, which takes a LOT longer to get to than in most modern day MMOs. I wanted to join a faction from beginning, for RP purposes, and totally lost emotional interest long before I could join one.

QUESTS: Totally bugged, for a long time. Not sure they are fixed adequately yet. Made it that much harder to level to tier 2 to start working on faction.

The Ugly:

GRAPHICS: Very mediocre, last-gen character models. Character creation was underwhelming. Very ugly models. Graphics DO matter to me, so shoot me. It is just as important as gameplay to my enjoyment of a game. I plan to spend many hours in an MMO, I better like the way it looks.

In conclusion, I will not be playing Fallen Earth, unfortunately. But I wish it well, they are definitely trying something new and I hope it finds it's playerbase.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

The lowest I've ever gotten in Embry is 20 fps and I'm playing on a laptop with a video card the game reports as unsupported. Normal FPS in town is ~30 and outside is around 75. I agree that some optimization should occur becasue the range between highest and lowest FPS seems too large.

Originally posted by cfurlin

The lowest I've ever gotten in Embry is 20 fps and I'm playing on a laptop with a video card the game reports as unsupported. Normal FPS in town is ~30 and outside is around 75. I agree that some optimization should occur becasue the range between highest and lowest FPS seems too large.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit here, unless I see a screenshot. Sorry, man...nothng personal, but for MONTHS we've all been discussing the performance problems in this game, and Embry is the worst case of the problem. Considering that people with top of the line desktops are, and have been, reporting frame rates as low as ONE FRAME PER SECOND in Embry, I'm gonna need to see proof.

Sorry man.