Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FARM TOWN vs. MMORPG.com

GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury....

Oh...wait... this is a pre-trial?  Okay then...

Recently there have been several theads where the definition of an MMO has been raised.  Instancing is a contenious issue.

So, I guess it comes down to how you define an MMO?

MMORPG.com lists the following criteria

Does it meet our requirements?

1. Make sure that the game isn't already on our list. We know that this sounds simple, but there are a lot of them and sometimes they get overlooked.

2. The game should have the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server. This is not a reflection of the game's current subscriber count, but rather reflects the capabilities of a game's technology.

3. The game must include some form of common area where players can interact with one another inside of the persistent game world. This excludes lobby and chat room based interaction. Exceptions are made where logical (such as sports MMOs) that still fit within the spirit of what an MMO is.

4. The game must make use of persistent characters. This means that you should be able to log in after logging out and find your character as advanced as you left them (or more).

5. The game must contain some form of advancement.

So, what do we need in order to list the game?

When submitting a game to MMORPG.com for review for our Game List, we require the following:

* A visual representation of the game

* A transparent .psd of your game's logo

* A textual overview of your game

* A professional website, name of publisher, name of developer, press contact information.

* It can also be helpful (but is not required) to provide us with a 1,000 word + developer journal introducing the MMORPG.com readers to your game. Just a general overview of what the game is about and some information about what you feel are the stand-out features of your game.

*A visual representation of the game

3-5 Screenshots: These screenshots must be in-engine, un-doctored screenshots. They must be representative of what a player would see when playing the game.

or

A Gameplay video: The short video does not have to be gameplay only, but should contain a significant and obvious example of un-altered gameplay footage

*Website Requirements

All games to be listed at MMORPG.com must have an active, professional website. The site must be completely free of pop-up ads and spyware.

In the case of an active or in-beta game, the site must also provide access to some kind of user support system including, but not limited to: developer active help / support forums, direct petition system or support contact email.

Exception:

MMORPG.com will occasionally make an exception to the above visual representation rules only if the following conditions are met:

1. User demand for the game's listing is high enough to warrant the decision (as decided by MMORPG.com staff).

2. The game is being developed by a professional, well known, registered company.

3. Personal contact has been made between MMORPG.com editorial staff and the studio in quesiton.

So, I want to play Devil's Advocate and make the case for FARM TOWN.

Should MMORPG.com list Farm Town as an MMORPG and is it an MMORPG?

1. Make sure that the game isn't already on our list. We know that this sounds simple, but there are a lot of them and sometimes they get overlooked.

Not listed.  Check.

2. The game should have the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server. This is not a reflection of the game's current subscriber count, but rather reflects the capabilities of a game's technology.

March 31, 2009

Some basic stats:

* Farm Town launched on February 1st. (we did some testing in 1/31).

* Over two million monthly active users.

* We have 550K visitors per day, and we are growing about 10-20% daily.

* The game is running on 11 servers, and we are adding 1-2 per week.

http://paradivision.com/2009/05/farm-town-an-under-the-radar-facebook-social-gaming-success-story-in-the-making/

3. The game must include some form of common area where players can interact with one another inside of the persistent game world. This excludes lobby and chat room based interaction. Exceptions are made where logical (such as sports MMOs) that still fit within the spirit of what an MMO is.

Marketplace

A Map icon at the bottom of the main screen facilitates a trip to the marketplace, where harvested crops are sold. Other players also congregate there for the opportunity to be hired to harvest or plow, which earns coins. The marketplace is also where animals, trees, plants and all other objects can be sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Town

(There is also an Inn and a Real Estate Office.)

4. The game must make use of persistent characters. This means that you should be able to log in after logging out and find your character as advanced as you left them (or more).

Gameplay

Each user creates a personal avatar and receives a tract of land ...

As the player accumulates experience and coins, they rise to higher levels which reveal more options, permitting the purchase of more land, improvements and buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Town

5. The game must contain some form of advancement.

See #4 above

So, what do we need in order to list the game?

When submitting a game to MMORPG.com for review for our Game List, we require the following:

* A visual representation of the game

Gallery here

* A transparent .psd of your game's logo

Top right of this image

(I am sure the Devs would happily supply a better one!)

* A textual overview of your game

The User Guide

* A professional website, name of publisher, name of developer, press contact information.

http://r1.slashkey.com/

This is a Facebook Application.  Emails are available for all this.

* It can also be helpful (but is not required) to provide us with a 1,000 word + developer journal introducing the MMORPG.com readers to your game. Just a general overview of what the game is about and some information about what you feel are the stand-out features of your game.

Not required but there is a forum here with Dev notes.

*A visual representation of the game

3-5 Screenshots: These screenshots must be in-engine, un-doctored screenshots. They must be representative of what a player would see when playing the game.

Google Images enough for you?

Results 1 - 21 of about 9,840

or

A Gameplay video: The short video does not have to be gameplay only, but should contain a significant and obvious example of un-altered gameplay footage

Type Farm Town into You Tube.

*Website Requirements

All games to be listed at MMORPG.com must have an active, professional website. The site must be completely free of pop-up ads and spyware.

In the case of an active or in-beta game, the site must also provide access to some kind of user support system including, but not limited to: developer active help / support forums, direct petition system or support contact email.

Link posted above and forum offers support

Exception:

MMORPG.com will occasionally make an exception to the above visual representation rules only if the following conditions are met:

1. User demand for the game's listing is high enough to warrant the decision (as decided by MMORPG.com staff).

Millions of users.

2. The game is being developed by a professional, well known, registered company.

Slashkey and Facebook

3. Personal contact has been made between MMORPG.com editorial staff and the studio in quesiton.

Well, based on the evidence submitted so far... I would hope so?

So, there you are.

Based on the evidence I would suggest that Farm Town meets MMORPG.com's requirements?

So, does this mean that Farm Town should be listed?

I await the case against...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Comments

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Sure, I say list it.

Hell, have a look at all the games that this site already has listed; I don't recognise (and have no interest in) about 90% of them anyway, so what's one more on the pile?

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

My wife loves that game/application/plug-in ...what ever it is. There is also a near exact clone of it called "Farmville",..go figure.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Yeah, facebook has alot of those. heh, I'm playing one of them on another tab right now, lol. And quite a few of my friends play them religiously. Some even have PvP in that you attack other Facebook players/members.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

If you put in Farm Town, you'll have to add about 1,000 other flash games that have an online component and can be found on facebook or sites like pogo.com.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by rodingo

My wife loves that game/application/plug-in ...what ever it is. There is also a near exact clone of it called "Farmville",..go figure.

FWIW there is also one called "Farm Buddies" I think that actually features PvP Farming!

But anyway, stop dodging the case.

Is it an MMORPG?

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

If you put in Farm Town, you'll have to add about 1,000 other flash games that have an online component and can be found on facebook or sites like pogo.com.

Yes... so?

Edit: If they meet the requirements shouldn't they be listed?

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Yes... so?

I suppose so.  MMORPG should probably amend the requirements to include a clause against flash games run by social websites.

I don't think there's any value in cluttering up the website with these games, but then again maybe I'm wrong.  My roommate loves playing a gardening version of this game and maybe she'd like to talk about it on a forum.  Who knows.

I suppose so.  MMORPG should probably amend the requirements to include a clause against flash games run by social websites.

Why?  And what amendment should be made exactly?

I ask because one point often raised by people here is that 'the definition of MMORPGs is evolving' - so are games like this simply the evolution of the genre?

I don't think there's any value in cluttering up the website with these games, but then again maybe I'm wrong.  My roommate loves playing a gardening version of this game and maybe she'd like to talk about it on a forum.  Who knows.

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

One day those flash games can be as complex and massively multiplayer as the mainstream MMORPGs are today. I thought there was a company that was already about to do that? Provide MMOs that are playable through a flash window.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Yes... so?

Oh...you are serious? LOL....I thought this was some kinda odd joke. My wife plays farmville or some crap like that on facebook. We already have 100's of crappy f2p games listed on this site. And the constant ads and contests for f2p game items. Why do we serously need more crap added?

I could go and list about another 30 or so legit f2p MMOs that aren't here. The site can't list and support every game on the web. Would just make more work for mods...which are already kept busy with all the spam and gold sellers that have been flocking here.

Originally posted by talismen351

Oh...you are serious? LOL....I thought this was some kinda odd joke. My wife plays farmville or some crap like that on facebook. We already have 100's of crappy f2p games listed on this site. And the constant ads and contests for f2p game items. Why do we serously need more crap added?
    I could go and list about another 30 or so legit f2p MMOs that aren't here. The site can't list and support every game on the web. Would just make more work for mods...which are already kept busy with all the spam and gold sellers that have been flocking here.

No joke.

Read the original post.  This game appears to meet the requirements to be listed on MMORPG.com.  That being the case - why shouldn't it be listed?

You use the word 'crap'?  Please detail why Farm town is "crap" exactly?  Or, more to the point, please define why you think it is not an MMORPG and should not be listed here?

Originally posted by thexrated

One day those flash games can be as complex and massively multiplayer as the mainstream MMORPGs are today. I thought there was a company that was already about to do that? Provide MMOs that are playable through a flash window.

Interesting.

So maybe just saying "no flash games" doesn't work as a definition between what is am MMORPG and what isn't?

So, does this support that Farm Town is an MMORPG?

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

Hmmmm You miss the fine print.If its not 3d It should not get posted..There plenty of other sites out there for this stuff.If you do it for one, you must do it for all..Do people realize of how many flash games that are out there?

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

Originally posted by hoopty

Hmmmm You miss the fine print.If its not 3d It should not get posted..There plenty of other sites out there for this stuff.If you do it for one, you must do it for all..Do people realize of how many flash games that are out there?

Where does it say that?

I was just looking at Hello Kitty Online and the isometric appearence is the same?

Yes, I do realise how many games are out there like this... but that is not the point.  Is it an MMORPG?  If not, why not?

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Quit complaining that they don't have your favorite game listed, and submit it already.

Where does it say that?

I was just looking at Hello Kitty Online and the isometric appearence is the same?

Yes, I do realise how many games are out there like this... but that is not the point.  Is it an MMORPG?  If not, why not?

I was being a smart azz about the fine print of 3d..I don't think we need 1000s of flash games on mmorpg.com..I believe this site was intended for games like Lotr,Eve,War hammer,AOC,etc,etc you get the picture...Shall we add Browser games as well, along with the Flash games?But in again who knows it might bring more Trolls and Fanboys player to this site..

Originally posted by bonobotheory

Quit complaining that they don't have your favorite game listed, and submit it already.

My only complaint at this point is that here, on MMORPG.com, no-one seems to be prepared to say "That game is NOT an MMORPG game because...."

Seriously, do you all think this game is a MMORPG?

If so, the bright side is that based on numbers... we have a WoW KILLER!

• neoterrarneoterrar Member Posts: 512

Do they list that homebrew Disciple game on here?

if the list that they should list every "game" in existence.

my god mybrute should be here too

Originally posted by bonobotheory

My only complaint at this point is that here, on MMORPG.com, no-one seems to be prepared to say "That game is NOT an MMORPG game because...."

Seriously, do you all think this game is a MMORPG?

If so, the bright side is that based on numbers... we have a WoW KILLER!

The Game is MMORPG..But it belongs in its own Category.This site is not set up for 1000s of flash games that are so called mmorpg.And further more these games should not be mixed in with the "Normal" mmorpg games anyway

The Game is MMORPG..But it belongs in its own Category.This site is not set up for 1000s of flash games that are so called mmorpg.And further more these games should not be mixed in with the "Normal" mmorpg games anyway

Then define the category and define WHY.  Define "Normal".  What is not normal about it?

At present it meets the MMORPG rules apparently?  So, WHY do you think it does NOT deserve to be listed alongside the other MMORPGs listed here.  If you can't think of a reason and / or a definition of MMORPG than includes most of the games already listed but excludes games like Farm Town then it should be listed here.  And so should the thousands of other games like it.

Another bright side is that this now means there is proof it does not take millions of dollars to develop a MMORPG?

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Long story short, you know why it shouldn't be listed here. It ISN'T what people are looking for when they look for a MMORPG. You are correct that it probably does fit MMORPG's rules  .... the rules need to be modified. Guild Wars shouldn't even be listed on the site, but it's fairly close and also fits all the rules to be listed on this site.

These mindless debates kill me .... (It's called common sense)

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

And the part that needs to be modified is the hub for social interaction.To be an MMORPG, it should be based on a virtual world where you can run into each and every siongle player playing that is on your respective server. And key word: WORLD not a place.

There is probably more that should be modified, but that could at least once and for all weed out what MOST do not consider to be an mmorpg.

• ButterballButterball Member UncommonPosts: 39

Hmm, it could be argued that Farm Town and its associated game variations do not offer the full "Role Playing" aspect of an MMORPG, due to the fact that you are limited to only one character class - that of a farmer, and that you are bound to only one predetermined location with no option to explore - other than a marketplace location and other peoples farms - which are technically a modified version of your own, I suppose...

...but then that IS a very slim and debatable argument...lol

Originally posted by Bama1267

Long story short, you know why it shouldn't be listed here. It ISN'T what people are looking for when they look for a MMORPG. You are correct that it probably does fit MMORPG's rules  .... the rules need to be modified. Guild Wars shouldn't even be listed on the site, but it's fairly close and also fits all the rules to be listed on this site.
     These mindless debates kill me .... (It's called common sense)

Well, actually it's not 'common sense'.

We are all looking for something different.

FWIW - I agree that there is something wrong with the MMORPG.com rules/guidelines when a game like Farm Town meets all the criteria. 

For me, it's central to the whole 'instancing' idea.  But I am not sure how to word it.

Which is why i want to see if someone can read the original post and tell me why it isn't an MMORPG without using words like 'feeling' etc.

Originally posted by Butterball

Hmm, it could be argued that Farm Town and its associated game variations do not offer the full "Role Playing" aspect of an MMORPG, due to the fact that you are limited to only one character class - that of a farmer, and that you are bound to only one predetermined location with no option to explore - other than a marketplace location and other peoples farms - which are technically a modified version of your own, I suppose...
    ...but then that IS a very slim and debatable argument...lol

It's also the best argument so far...