Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com User Developed MMO

Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Why haven't we come together to make an MMO? We all complain so much about the current trash available today so why don't the more creative and talented bunch of us start MAKING OUR OWN???

For the record, I'm a skilled texture artist and concept designer...

Comments

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Well, I am a Game Designer (no qualifications - naturally!) and would be prepared to help.

I am working on my own project too - but have no programming skill beyond dead languages (trying to re-learn now) so the stuff I could learn and pick up on any project like this would be great.

Do you have a concept you would like to develop?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

I have a few concepts rolling around in my head but nothing put on paper yet. I'd be willing to post some things in regards to that if there's more interest...

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

because after you make the game without any experience you will notice it is a rehash of whats made. Doing something new would be advanced and require a pretty deep knowledge of coding. Sure you could buy a license to one of the decent engines but then you'd need people who know how to make the engine work for them in a UNIQUE manner. So naturally no For-Fun team is going to pound out a truely unique experience. Who cares though just make a game, acquire some experience of how things function, learn some new code and enjoy the rehash. It'll be more than any of the other trolls do on these forums complaining. Who knows you might even find a career because of it.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Kinda the biggest issue IS: about 99.99% of people on forums got idea's in their head, often many idea's sound great/awesome, but that's because it's not been out of our head and been put into reality.

There is so much more that needs to be done then just put some idea's on paper. But then again please put some idea's on paper, I bet you might be able to show some idea's in a few years from now, which might be the very basic setup for your game.

I would suggest anyone who is dreaming of making a MMORPG, to start small, really as small they can with very simple basic games, make sure you get that to work first before even considering to make a MMORPG.

Then when you have developed and released a few games succesfully then perhaps you might want to consider trying to creat a MMORPG.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380

Let me remind you naysayers that I am not trying to say that a "for-fun" or indie developed game can or will be big. I'm not saying I am capable of doing it alone or that my ideas would necessarily be successful. I'm not even saying that I actually want to lead a team. I merely asked the question and if you read properly I listed that I am a texture artist. I don't code, I can't. I am professionally trained as an artist and as such only hope to contribute my talents as an artist to such a project...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

It seems to me that too many of us are working on their own projects or just mods for other games. I wonder what the MMORPG community could create if it put its mind to it?

Mind you that would take more work than the bit of typing we do around here. :)

Originally posted by Mystik86

I have a few concepts rolling around in my head but nothing put on paper yet. I'd be willing to post some things in regards to that if there's more interest...

Well, okay...

*gasp* I am about to commit commercial suicide... and give you my back up concept...

(This is the idea I have for the MMO if my first idea bombs.)

A spy / espionage / X-Files (yeah with secret government agencies, aliens and Nazis on the Moon) Browser based MMO.

PvP and RvR possible.  Lots of sub plots and twists.  Maybe even some console based hacking interface?

*not sure I should give up that idea... too late now I guess*

Edit: I would add that the aliens and Nazis on the Moon sub plots would be very minor parts of the game and very hard to access - so much so that many people might never even find them.

Also, the reason for browser based is that real internet searches would be required as part of game play.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Let me remind you naysayers that I am not trying to say that a "for-fun" or indie developed game can or will be big. I'm not saying I am capable of doing it alone or that my ideas would necessarily be successful. I'm not even saying that I actually want to lead a team. I merely asked the question and if you read properly I listed that I am a texture artist. I don't code, I can't. I am professionally trained as an artist and as such only hope to contribute my talents as an artist to such a project...

Or....you could actualy read the 2 replies you got instead of calling it naysayers as that kinda shows you didn't really read what was said.

Now don't get me wrong I would love to see a community created MMORPG, but you need to keep in mind that some of use gamers have been with games many years, been on many forums and have seen thousends of topics saying they want to creat a MMORPG. I just suggest a more realistic approuch to start small and work your way up. You are talking about one of the most complicated genre of gaming. Or try and get a job at a gamecompany or perhaps a intern ship, creat a realistic basis for what you dream might be about. And as a trained artist you might get lucky at finding a gamecompany that might want to hire you.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

OP:

It is because even those that DO agree on what they want still disagree when it comes to implementation. Too many chefs spoil the meal. LOL

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I think we'd only get as far as making some Visual basic game..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Well you would have to work like a real business, if you make every decision by committee, you might get the MMO out by next century. :)

Originally posted by Scot

Well you would have to work like a real business, if you make every decision by committee, you might get the MMO out by next century. :)

Rubbish.

If that was true nothing would ever get done ever.

What is needed is a Concept first.

Then some outlines on design and how the game is work.  3D, Browser based, etc?

(I think browser based - is the way to go - because it has the best chance of success - but that's just me)

Then core design is decided and the main work can begin.

From then - when a direction is chosen it gets far easier.

People joining from then on have less to debate about.

I think it is workable provided it is not too ambitious.  Aiming to produce something of UO quality is out of the question.  Something like Urban Dead is totally do-able.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Why haven't we come together to make an MMO? We all complain so much about the current trash available today so why don't the more creative and talented bunch of us start MAKING OUR OWN???
    For the record, I'm a skilled texture artist and concept designer...

An oddball character came into the forums earlier.

He said a bunch of random stuff, and one truth.

That truth went something like, "You ain't gonna make a MMORPG for less than a million."   The exact price tag might vary, but it's in the ballpark.

That is why we haven't come together to make an MMO.  :P

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Like I say, a 3D WoW Clone is out of the question.

It's a question of setting realistic goals and not being defeatist by setting unrealistic goals.

"Let's build a rocket to fly 6 forumites to Saturn and back by next year!" <-Unrealistic goal <- setting up for failure.

"Let's make one of them hobby rockets that can reach 1000m altitude by next year." <- totally possible.  Buy a kit?