Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: Welcome to the Arboretum

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The team from Earthrise has provided us with another of their Friday developer journals. This week, the focus is on the small settlement known as "The Arboretum."

On the Northeast edge of the island of Enterra a small settlement named the Arboretum has been founded by a faction of settlers calling themselves "Nathura". As the name suggests, this is a nature-venerating society consisting primarily of scientists who refused to take sides in the ongoing conflict between Continoma and Noir; instead they chose to focus their knowledge and resources on the betterment of the last piece of inhabitable earth. Under the leadership of ex-Continoma Chief Geneticist Kiga, the people of the Arboretum have learned to be self-sufficient and to provide for themselves using only the natural resources that surround them. That leaves the settlement fairly independent from outside interests and allows Nathura to focus on taming the post-war mutated flora and fauna of the island and forming a peaceful and, even more important, symbiotic relationship between men and nature where both exist in perfect equilibrium and mutual benefit.

Read Welcome to the Arboretum

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• trepotrepo Member Posts: 119

The detailed description of the creatures is awesome. Reminds me a bit like reading the AD&D bestiary hehe

Keep the lore pieces coming, it just makes me wanna play this game more and more !

trepo

• MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94

WTB beta already..

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Seriously, this game looks absolutely awesome. I can't wait for this!

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Looking forward to trying this one.

Shots look great.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Looks interesting. When can I buy it? ^^

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Based on the number of replies this game does not seem to have much interest on this site. Not a very good sign if you ask me. I had interest in this game at one time until I found out it was a FPS target system. 

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Based on the number of replies this game does not seem to have much interest on this site. Not a very good sign if you ask me. I had interest in this game at one time until I found out it was a FPS target system. 

I actually do like it, that this game doesn't get flooded by WoW-players.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Looks to be very good to me, can't wait to give it a spin.  If the customization is as deep as I hope it will be then this game is going to be fantastic, not to mention gorgeous.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664
    Originally posted by jrs77

Ditto.

It is close to an FPS targeting system but it is still soft lock.  So you get some assistance, pretty much if you keep it a little ahead of the person you will get a lock. There is no hit boxes in this game. Once your shield is depleted you are dead pretty much. So not really FPS targeting imo

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I have hopes for this game. Not sure how much of that is wishful thinking after realising Fallen Earth is a dud. It certainly looks more professional from what I've seen anyway.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547
    Originally posted by trepo

The detailed description of the creatures is awesome. Reminds me a bit like reading the AD&D bestiary hehe
    Keep the lore pieces coming, it just makes me wanna play this game more and more !
    trepo

lol...yeah you right

Remember Monster Manuals and Fiend Folio

This looks very promising :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Anything that shows a MMO has had some thought put into it gets my thumbs up. As always, however, time will tell to how good a release this will be.

• KruugarKruugar Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by jrs77

That and I do enjoy niche games.    WoW is a very well polished product but, I want something more unique, complex with a good economy... without BoE/BoP for regular items.